• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TokuGAF 2016 |OT| Fantastic Beasts and Ghostly Beats

Tiu Neo

Started Hibiki.

Weird series. Everyone overreacts, musical numbers, strange camera takes, random kanji.

Sounds like the kind of weirdness I love. Hibiki is likeable, Asumu is surprisingly easy to relate with.

One thing I don't like too much is the weird filter on the fights. Anyway, let's see. I know this is one of those series that are heavily retooled later, but at least I'm enjoying this first part.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Zyuoger 01, the show is interesting but Toei really needs to learn not to throw everything to the first episode.

There was no reason to show the mech fight in the first episode and they could have been saved for the next episode after we got to know the team.

Ghost 18,

It was spooky how Onari dead body had his eye still open.

Ghost Legendary Rider Souls 2

I wonder if those eyecons will be introduced into the series later, or if they'll be a special/movie thing only.

Makoto got the coolest suits. Onari was cool on this episode, too.

Yeah I am hoping that it will tie into the show as having past villain come back to life is cool. Plus I got super excited when Makoto did W wrist flick.

My only complaint that it should have been both Joker and Cyclone memory to summon the W eyecon as Joker on its own should have summoned the Joker eyecon.

Slayven

Watched the first ep of Winspector, man why do toku shows from that era feel like they are 10 years older than what they are?

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Zyuoger 01, the show is interesting but Toei really needs to learn not to throw everything to the first episode.

There was no reason to show the mech fight in the first episode and they could have been saved for the next episode after we got to know the team.

They have to do it cause the toy is on sale already. Usually these things are tied storywise with toy release dates, so hands are kinda tied here I think. That's also why Tiger, Elephant and Gorilla are all coming out on different weeks through March. So actually in a way they are showing a -little- restraint, even though it's actually just them milking the robos

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
So apparently the plot to the upcoming Kamen Rider 1 movie involves Hongo's cyborg body breaking down due to old age.
... They're going to kill him off aren't they? Hiroshi Fujioka isn't getting any younger.

EDIT: Looking into it, I learned Riderman's original actor died a long time ago, but they still use the character. I guess they won't kill him, just keep him in the suit. Or go Decade-crazy.

So apparently the plot to the upcoming Kamen Rider 1 movie involves Hongo's cyborg body breaking down due to old age.
... They're going to kill him off aren't they? Hiroshi Fujioka isn't getting any younger.

EDIT: Looking into it, I learned Riderman's original actor died a long time ago, but they still use the character. I guess they won't kill him, just keep him in the suit. Or go Decade-crazy.

I have an uneasy feeling about the movie, but glad the actor is coming back.

javadoze

Toshiki Inoue's hands are itching for blood.

vareon

Started Hibiki.

Weird series. Everyone overreacts, musical numbers, strange camera takes, random kanji.

Sounds like the kind of weirdness I love. Hibiki is likeable, Asumu is surprisingly easy to relate with.

One thing I don't like too much is the weird filter on the fights. Anyway, let's see. I know this is one of those series that are heavily retooled later, but at least I'm enjoying this first part.

Enjoy the warmth and pure optimism that is Hibkki! It's a series unlike any other even after the retool.

He's also one of the few Heisei Riders who actually trained.

NeonZ

Speaking of coming back, where are Rider 2 and V-3? I don't think I've ever seen them come back for anything this era.

Rider 2's actor has only made voice-only appearances ever since there was an accident where his house and face were burned (His only modern appearance was a voice-only role in Let's Go Kamen Riders).

V3 also had a voice-only role in Let's Go, and that's it. His actor actually returned on screen for 199 Heroes in that same year though. At the time, it seemed like Rider's producers didn't want to bring older actors back on screen. The closest was Black RX, but he still was significantly younger than previous Showa Riders. That really only changed with Kamen Rider Taisen. Anyway, V3's actor currently seems to have health issues, so he isn't likely to appear in anything either.

The new movie's staff also have mentioned in some magazine articles and news sites that this movie is meant to make up for the original series not focusing as much on Hongo after the bike accident, allowing Rider 1 to shine without Rider 2 around.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
In KR there's a noticeable shift of filming technique and equipment. I remember pre-Decade KR have some 60fps-esque quality to them, was the shift in Decade?

It's Sentai that I don't remember having that treatment. Like from my memory I think it was consistent from Bioman to Timeranger in their looks, but come Gaoranger it looked different. Then the HD era of Shinkenger came to give us quality what we see up to now.

In KR there's a noticeable shift of filming technique and equipment. I remember pre-Decade KR have some 60fps-esque quality to them, was the shift in Decade?

It's Sentai that I don't remember having that treatment. Like from my memory I think it was consistent from Bioman to Timeranger in their looks, but come Gaoranger it looked different. Then the HD era of Shinkenger came to give us quality what we see up to now.

Kuuga-Hibiki had the "drama" shot on tape 60fps style, then Kabuto switched to the HD camera look that we know now.

It came as a real surprise to me in 2000 when I got my first tape of Kuuga. Hadn't seen one like that shot on tape since Changerion in '96. Thinking back, '96 was a busy year for tokusatsu, we had Carranger, B-Fighter Kabuto, Changerion, Guyferd and Ultraman Tiga all that year. Not all successful mind you, but still.

vareon

IIRC Kuuga-Hibiki was 30fps akin to J-Dorama of their age while Kabuto was 24. I prefer the Dorama feel but post-Hibiki is where Kamen Rider had much more action (and toys) so the switch makes sense.

Tiu Neo

Enjoy the warmth and pure optimism that is Hibkki! It's a series unlike any other even after the retool.

He's also one of the few Heisei Riders who actually trained.

On episode 4 and... it's quite unique. Dunno how much of it comes from pre-Kabuto Riders, and how much is actually unique for the series, but I'm liking it. I imagine the use of music and sound effects is unique to this, and it's my favorite aspect of it, at least for now.

JLynn

I'm about ten eps into Dairanger and I'm liking it so far. A few things I've noticed.

*Me and the fiancée loved the martial arts heavy choreography compared to Zyuranger. The mech battles felt more fluid and mobile too.

*Shoji is my boy! I hope there are more episodes focusing on him.

*Kazu is a low key Zohan.

*Please tell me there's more development in Rin. Cause right now she's the token woman who says greetings in Chinese.

*Ryo and Iron Face Chouryo in episodes six & seven.
So Empire Strikes Back and ROTJ it HURTS! The scenes were played out almost verbatim. The fiancée even commented that Archbishop Saw is Palpatine.
Those story arcs are usually saved for the second half so I expect the real second half of the show to blow my mind.

*Daigo is so kind hearted. I also detect a bit of timidness in him. He reminded me of someone I couldn't put my finger on at the time. That is until I saw....

*Kujaku. Let's get this out of the way. She is fricken gorgeous! Apparently Daigo thinks so too,
calling her "splendid" after she made him lean back.
I'm getting major Kei & Bell from Oh My Goddess vibes from these two. Except Kujaku goes HAM on her enemies. Loved the scene between her and Gara.

I'm definitely watching more this weekend and I love the fact that in 2016 we're getting legal subbed Sentai on DVD when even five years ago we wouldn't expect this to happen.

IIRC Kuuga-Hibiki was 30fps akin to J-Dorama of their age while Kabuto was 24. I prefer the Dorama feel but post-Hibiki is where Kamen Rider had much more action (and toys) so the switch makes sense.

They were 60fps, I still have my tapes recorded off of japanese television from back then. Encodes from back in the day typically didnt do the full 60fps experience up until very recently. I know Bunny Hat has been slowly re encoding them at the proper frame rate now as well, Kuuga was a real pain in the butt for them.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
They were 60fps, I still have my tapes recorded off of japanese television from back then. Encodes from back in the day typically didnt do the full 60fps experience up until very recently. I know Bunny Hat has been slowly re encoding them at the proper frame rate now as well, Kuuga was a real pain in the butt for them.

Yeah, back in 2005 or so I got a DVD set of 555 HKs (oh how I miss shitty HK subs sometimes, they were hilarious) and I was shocked to see that Kamen Rider actually looked like a soap opera. :lol

Yeah, back in 2005 or so I got a DVD set of 555 HKs (oh how I miss shitty HK subs sometimes, they were hilarious) and I was shocked to see that Kamen Rider actually looked like a soap opera. :lol

Hah! A friend gifted me a Kuuga HK box set back around that time. Wudai Xongjie was a pretty amazing Masked Superman Kuuga

WarRock

HK subs are almost as good as SNK translations in the 90s.

CZXzHirUMAAkHlA.jpg:large

Especially the freaky fake "screamimg head" Gills lol
We are never getting another Gills, are we? )=

Snaku

Banned

Ha, I still have that same Faiz set. Saving up for the overpriced Blurays.

On episode 4 and... it's quite unique. Dunno how much of it comes from pre-Kabuto Riders, and how much is actually unique for the series, but I'm liking it. I imagine the use of music and sound effects is unique to this, and it's my favorite aspect of it, at least for now.
A lot of pre-staff change Hibiki is due that show's producer having a lot of creative control. He produced Kuuga as well and three are some definite similarities.

WillyFive

For fun, I speed up mecha fights during rewatches of Sentai to remove the slow motion and make it 48fps at the same time. It looks so good, everything is crystal clear and dynamic when seen in its original speed and frame rate.

It even makes the ToQger CGI sequences look like a very good looking video game as opposed to a terrible looking TV show.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
How do we get rid of TV-Nihon and stupid people that think they're better because FLASHY!?

WillyFive

How do we get rid of TV-Nihon and stupid people that think they're better because FLASHY!?

The simplest way would be for Over-Time to release HD encodes in a streaming website friendly format like TV-N does.

Seriously, that should be enough. Viewers will flock to whomever has the content; and even though O-T has things out first, TV-N's stuff always gets uploaded instead because it's in HD; while O-T's only stuff that can be uploaded anywhere is SD only.

YouTube uploads of Toku episodes and movies get millions of views each; but downloading straight from a torrent and installing a video player capable of playing said videos is super niche and not many would ever do that.

TV-N simply has no competition to the mass audience.

WarRock

That would mean nothing. There are people who upload O-T releases just to delete and substitute them for TVN one because TVN "has better quality" or "is HD".

Wish I was joking.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Yeah I can vouch for the 60fps jdrama quality, since Ryuuki to Hibiki aired in my country in local channels. Definitely wouldn't be different to the other asian soaps at the time.

Apparently Kabuto was in CN Asia and dubbed. Heh... English Kabuto. Weird dub voices aside, "The man who walks the path of heaven" spoken in English really sounds badass.

The simplest way would be for Over-Time to release HD encodes in a streaming website friendly format like TV-N does.

Seriously, that should be enough. Viewers will flock to whomever has the content; and even though O-T has things out first, TV-N's stuff always gets uploaded instead because it's in HD; while O-T's only stuff that can be uploaded anywhere is SD only.

YouTube uploads of Toku episodes and movies get millions of views each; but downloading straight from a torrent and installing a video player capable of playing said videos is super niche and not many would ever do that.

TV-N simply has no competition to the mass audience.

There's that ingrained idea that apparently they have "proper" subbing. And apparently there is still an audience that thinks karaoke flashy subs are good.

Or maybe it's just the toku audience. I mean, it can't be the "hardsubs" thing since gogoanime use PM subs for Pokemon but they use soft subs.

That would mean nothing. There are people who upload O-T releases just to delete and substitute them for TVN one because TVN "has better quality" or "is HD".

Wish I was joking.

Yeah it's disgusting.

Even if we take away translation liberties (which is stupid because TVN more often had wrong translations) OT has superior encoding.

jwk94

We don't? yeah TVN has questionable translations but by and large, people don't care. I know when I was super into Toku I didn't really care about all the "nii-san/nee-san" stuff because I could understand it.

Another thing is the fact that TVN has a large catalogue of Toku and people like to stay with "one brand" rather than hop between websites and try to keep up with who has what and when they update.

If you don't like TVN, then that's fine. But I don't see a valid reason to run them out.

Slayven

At least the subbing teams aren't as bad as they use to. Remember Dattebyo? And they threatening to quit every five minutes because of something.

Top Bottom