• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TokuGAF 2017 |OT| Playing Trauma Center in Space and Hollywood

Tiu Neo

Is it weird that I enjoyed Kamen Rider Drive more than Gaim?

Nah, I do too. While Gaim did a few thing better, I just like the cast, villains and the Riders from Drive a bit more.

I demand a movie where he swap parts with metal heroes, and none of the Gokaiger metal hero blink and you miss them bullshit

Deka x Gavan is our best hope for anything Metal Heroes. I hope it does well, I just want other MH to show. A new MH show would be even better, even if it was streaming exclusive or something like that.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Den-O and Fourze are my two favorite Rider series. The idea of choosing between them is alien to me.

As for Build, I see it being the Bandai version of this:

10459_pd2768563_2_sw_mashers_stormtrooper_3.jpg

that, or like will brought up, a kamen rider build fighters, with customized versions of established rider designs would be dope too. and with near infinite toy potential on top of it.

WarRock

It's time to Toei go full tokusatsu gunpla, yes.

And yeah, Drive is the better, more consistent show, good to know TokuGAF has such a fine taste =D

Tiu Neo

Kyu 17

Half of the episode is Lucky being beaten down, Xiao plan was pretty funny, the suit actors were pretty fun too, and the villain power was creative, and reminded me a lot of ToQ.

It's ok, but... I kinda miss when the power-ups were for the whole team, or even interchangeable :|

Next episode, EMERGENCY. I like how they did the color pairings, heh.

Top Five Kamen Rider Titles

Drive
Gaim
Black
Amazons
Kabuto

Top Five Super Sentai

Megaranger
Liveman
Ohranger
Dekaranger
Kyroryruger

Top Five Power Rangers

In Space
SPD
Light Speed Rescue
Zeo
Ninja Storm

Tiu Neo

Top Five Kamen Rider Titles

Drive
Gaim
Black
Amazons
Kabuto

Top Five Super Sentai

Megaranger
Liveman
Ohranger
Dekaranger
Kyroryruger

Top Five Power Rangers

In Space
SPD
Light Speed Rescue
Zeo
Ninja Storm

Your Rider list is similar to mine, but I have Fourze as #1 instead and no Gaim, I guess.

Sentai, we're pretty different. Deka is my top 5 too, while the other I like, but are not so high on my favorites.

Jeffrey

Not going to happen but man would it be rad if the main rider was just some swole construction worker.

White collar rider.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Kyuranger 17

Any episode where Lucky gets his ass kicked is a good episode. Okay he's not THAT bad (he's not Takaharu) but still.

Loved the Sun & Moon power-up. Too bad we won't see it again (remember the Pegasus?). Love that the moon powered up Garu.

Next week though, did not expect a crossover. I know the movie is coming but nice.

Amazons 22

Boy, that escalated quickly. I mean that really got out of hand.
That was straight out of a cosmic horror movie. Not a standard one, cosmic.
The phantom Amazon with the same power was Nanaha wasn't it?
Four episodes left.

I ain't got a screenshot to hand, but in the flashbacks to Chihiro's childhood as a wee boy, playing with Nanaha,
you can see a child-sized straw hat with a pink ribbon hanging from a fence in the foreground as he plays in the background.

WillyFive

Which titles did you like?

I suppose mine would be:

Rider

Den-O
Fourze
Gaim
W
Amazon (original)

Sentai

Jetman
Timeranger
Gekiranger
Kyoryuger
Gokaiger

Ranger

RPM
Time Force
In Space
Dino Thunder
SPD

I found Drive to be an inferior and less interesting version of W, Kabuto was absolutely amazing in it's first few episodes but dropped the ball a dozen or so episodes in, Black was just repetitive and shallow (cool songs and poses can only get you so far), and Amazons was super dry and all the characters were idiots. Megaranger was pretty nice, but not as good as many other Sentai shows and Fourze did everything it did but better. Liveman's first episode was and still is the best premiere for a Sentai show, but the rest of the show was absolutely terrible. Dekaranger is really good (but not Top 5 IMO), and I can't say a lot about Ohranger since I didn't see all of it. I was surprised at how much GAF loved Ninja Storm during it's Twitch marathon, I still don't like it at all (being self-aware is good, but NS went so overboard it felt like there were no stakes and that there was no story, since it was all a joke to them). Light Speed Rescue had good ideas but it was super bland, with lame acting and boring stories. Zeo I just thought it was more of the same from the old MMPR days.

Toxi

Banned
Fourze is pretty great so far. Gentaro is such a fun protagonist, and they've managed so far to make the high school setting super enjoyable.

How are people listing top Sentai shows and leaving off Shinkenger?! HOW!?

Am I alone in thinking that it has one of the most interesting overarching plots, amazing fight choreography, and fun characters?
It's one of the few shows where I actually ended up liking the character development for every single ranger.

Also, dat roll call!

Big One

Banned
Willy, could you give me your reasoning to put OG Amazon in Top 5 Rider shows?
I've always thought Amazon was pretty dope when I watched it years ago. It's one of my favorite Showa era designs, his fighting style is cool and the weirdness around him in the show makes for some good oldschool toku cheese. It's also brtually violent for no reason. It's basically the best schlock in Kamen Rider.

Tiu Neo

I'm not him, but I can see why someone would love Amazon. It's weird, funny, over the top. And also, it's short, which for some series is a bonus.

One example would be Black. While I love it, I think it would be much better if they trimmed the fat a bit. It didn't need most of it's mid-season episodes. They could have skipped Bilgenia and just use Shadowmoon from the start.

Tiu Neo

Saban's adaptation of Kamen Black RX butchered the series.

Yep. Here we got both series, so it was VERY weird.

One interesting thing about RX is that, after I rewatched it, I was kinda surprised of how... good? it was. I remember not liking it as much as Black, when I was a kid, but now, I think it did a lot of things better than it, heh.

Yep. Here we got both series, so it was VERY weird.

One interesting thing about RX is that, after I rewatched it, I was kinda surprised of how... good? it was. I remember not liking it as much as Black, when I was a kid, but now, I think it did a lot of things better than it, heh.

Shadow Moon becoming Robo Rider and Count Dregon's lackey. lol

WillyFive

I liked Amazon himself, I liked the supporting characters, I liked a lot of the villains, I liked the fights, the music, and it gave me warm feelings watching it; it also wasn't dated enough that it made it unwatchable but it still had a lot of those great unique things old Toku had that new Toku doesn't. I also found the story enjoyable and interesting to follow, it was about the characters and how they related with one another. It was a proto-Fourze.

How are people listing top Sentai shows and leaving off Shinkenger?! HOW!?

Am I alone in thinking that it has one of the most interesting overarching plots, amazing fight choreography, and fun characters?
It's one of the few shows where I actually ended up liking the character development for every single ranger.

Also, dat roll call!

Shinkenger is my #6. Wonderful show.

Still plenty of shows I haven't started or finished but my top 5 lists would probbaly look like this at the moment:

Kamen Rider

Gaim - It's honestly just amazing that they managed to pull off such a random mix of themes so well.

Fourze - My god this was a fun series. I liked the gimmick and although I usually dislike school drama stuff they did a great job with this one. Meteor might be one of my favorite Tokusatsu suits as well, although I have a feeling I may be in the minority there.

Kuuga - I honestly want to like Agito more (mostly for the better suit designs) out of this duo but I felt the ending was pretty lackluster with that show despite a great build up.
Meanwhile the ending to Kuuga felt like a damn life changing experience. I don't know if anything can ever top scenes like this or this!

Den-O - I hated the CG in this show with a passion but every other part was fun and fairly unique. Takeru Sato is also boss as hell and I honestly think the show makes for a nice early showcase of his acting talent.
His comedic timing was great and definitely part of why it was such a successful entry in the series.

Kabuto - Despite the fact that I disliked a lot of the side plots and felt like most of the supporting cast were lame or annoying, this show just showcased some really great action and featured a cool gimmick which I thought they utilized well. Also, watching Tendou chew the scenery up just never got old even when it felt like you were watching 2nd rate Iron Chef. Also, amazing suit designs. It's probably blasphemous to say in this thread but I generally dislike bug designs so I was surprised at how much I liked these suits.

Super Sentai:

Shinkenger - I liked the theme here and thought they were very consistent in how all of the characters and designs worked within it. I thought all of the characters had great development (Dayuu best villianess!) and the twist at the end was well done. I am glad I didn't get spoiled on that one! Great fight choreography too and I actually really enjoy the CG and effects in this one.

Gokaiger - Marvelous is probbaly one of my favorite rangers at this point and I loved the whole grudging anti-hero style they had going. The show also featured some absolutely amazing fight choreography. Similar to shinkenger, I ended up liking every supporting character after certain ones grew on me who I expected to dislike.

Dekaranger - Doggie Kruger and Deka Yellow. 'nuff said. Also, BanBan drop-kicking a mopey blue out of his chair is a Top 5 Toku moment for me.

Kakuranger - This show was definitely flawed and would have benefited from a shorter run, but I really enjoyed the overarching plot and hippie ninja hijinks.
I also have a soft spot for Japanese post-modern stuff so aspects like the narrator talking directly to the audience and such was fun and added to the other unique aspects of the show.

Zyuranger - I know I should pick a more consistent and interesting show like Jetman over this but I am weak for this show.
It has some honestly unwatchable episodes in the middle but I think it starts and ends strongly. I couldn't get enough of the Geki/Burai rivalry and drama.
I know this is also partially nostalgia talking but I really believe the Suit, Weapon, and Mecha designs are all still some of the best in the series. Great subtle use of the theme without being too overdesigned.

I still have a ton of shows to watch between both series. Currently making my way through Blade at the moment.

I ain't got a screenshot to hand, but in the flashbacks to Chihiro's childhood as a wee boy, playing with Nanaha,
you can see a child-sized straw hat with a pink ribbon hanging from a fence in the foreground as he plays in the background.

That's because there were two children, or at least that's the theory. She had a daughter and it's the floating invisible Amazon in the last episode.

Tiu Neo

That's because there were two children, or at least that's the theory. She had a daughter and it's the floating invisible Amazon in the last episode.

I think that's what he was trying to imply, or at least what I got from it.

Appropriate username, heh

Catalog scans are OK, right? I don't want MHWilliams to ban me again lol.

Build's silhouette:

That seems okay.
EDIT:
This is happening!
Renn Kiriyama Announced for Japan World Heroes
Japan World Heroes, a tokusatsu hero themed convention, has revealed that Renn Kiriyama will be a guest at the event. Kiriyama portrayed Shotaro Hidari in the 2009/2010 Kamen Rider series, serving as one half of the main Kamen Rider.

Other guests attending Japan World Heroes include Noboru Kaneko, known for portraying Kakeru Shishi (GaoRed) in Hyakujuu Sentai Gaoranger, as well as suit actors Bin Furuya (Ultraman) and Kenpachiro Satsuma (Heisei Godzilla films).

The event will take place August 26th and 27th at the Pasadena Convention Center in Pasadena, CA.

Tiu Neo

Catalog scans are OK, right? I don't want MHWilliams to ban me again lol.

Build's silhouette:

This looks... normal? At least the shadow looks like a normal Kamen Rider, heh.

Are those gimmick silhouettes bottles? The drinking rumor was true in the end?

EDIT: Reminds me a bit of W. One side has an antenna, the other is more like a headpiece or something like that, plus a spike at the shoulder.

Toxi

Banned
I'm reaching the end of Kamen Rider Kabuto. What should I watch next? I'm mulling between Kuuga/Agito or Gaim atm.
Honestly, both Kuuga and Gaim are solid. Kuuga's a series about a single rider, Gaim's a series about many conflicting riders. Go with whichever one strikes your fancy.

I haven't watched Agito.

Tizoc

When does ExAid end btw? How many eps. left?

Also IIRC, Toku Spiderman was made free to watch online right? Which site was hosting it?

Dukemon is notorious for posting "leaks" but always getting it wrong. He only ever got one thing right, that being a Kyuranger scan, and that was taken from elsewhere in the first place.

Wouldn't trust that scan until we see filming shots from the Ex-Aid movie cameo.

NeonZ

That supposed catalog does seem pretty odd. It's supposed to be promotion for retailers, but if we go by that image, they're "marketing" the new Rider without a clear design, gimmick and even name (It's just called "Ex-Aid's successor"). Also, if it's real, somehow the merchandising is coming out in August already which means we should get an announcement really soon.

Top Bottom