• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TokuGAF 2017 |OT| Playing Trauma Center in Space and Hollywood

That supposed catalog does seem pretty odd. It's supposed to be promotion for retailers, but if we go by that image, they're "marketing" the new Rider without a clear design, gimmick and even name (It's just called "Ex-Aid's successor"). Also, if it's real, somehow the merchandising is coming out in August already which means we should get an announcement really soon.

Like I said, the guy who first posted that "scan" on Twitter is notorious for false leaks and the like. It also looks like the outline of an Armor Hero XT character, just edited so as not to be too obvious.

hutna

So a combination of my wife and the twitch PR marathon has turned me into a toku fan!

A few weeks ago Shout did a short Kakuranger marathon and we loved it so we have been watching the rest of it. We are about half way through (e27 or so; when the ninja rangers have to find some scrolls to power up), and I am enjoying it more than any toku thing I've seen so far (which isn't much shy of the PR stuff I saw in the marathon). We are also slowly catching up with kyuranger which I am liking, though probably a little less than Kakuranger. Something about the era, ninjas, Sho Kosugi's kid being in it and a really cool white ranger really appeals to me.

I'm trying to figure out where to go next. We will finish Kakuranger soon enough and I would like something similar. Doesn't have to be ninja themed (I know they have done a few of these), but something with a similar tone/style. Any recommendations?

Also thinking of starting Kamen Rider. Is ExAid a good place to start? We both think the theme of retro games will be super appealing, but if it's better to work up to it we don't mind starting with an earlier show.

Finally, any good toku shows that AREN'T by Toei? Anything for me to research and check out?

ZoddGutts

For something not done by Toei, I would go for Ultraman Orb. Really enjoyable series, it came out year ago and finished it's run. The main character uses power of other previous Ultraman, but you don't need know about those other Ultraman to enjoy the series.

Ex-Aid takes a couple of episodes to get going, but it's good, it never really lets up, love how it doesn't drag things out unlike most other Kamen Rider series.

WillyFive

I'm trying to figure out where to go next. We will finish Kakuranger soon enough and I would like something similar. Doesn't have to be ninja themed (I know they have done a few of these), but something with a similar tone/style. Any recommendations?

Also thinking of starting Kamen Rider. Is ExAid a good place to start? We both think the theme of retro games will be super appealing, but if it's better to work up to it we don't mind starting with an earlier show.

For Sentai, try Kyoryuger, as it has a similar tone.

For Kamen Rider, I'd say Kamen Rider W is a good place to start, as it's the latest down-to-the-basics show Rider has had. From there on, every show adds something to the formula to spice it up.

Finally, any good toku shows that AREN'T by Toei? Anything for me to research and check out?

Matt Smith's run on Doctor Who and The Flash.

Toxi

Banned
Ex-Aid's a fine place to start. It's a bit atypical (It's a lot more serialized than most Kamen Rider shows), but it's still totally accessible for a newbie. Really good show and if you like video games, you'll love the little references.

You can easily jump into a show like Ex-Aid and still enjoy it. The first KR show I watched to completion was Gaim.

If you are interested in seeing an older show, I think Kuuga is a great starting point. If I remember my history right it was the first new entry in the series after close to a decade, and the J-drama aspects of it have definitely influenced other modern KR shows.

For Sentai, I honestly think that watching a handful of older shows whose themes you are interested in and then jumping into Gokaiger is a good idea. That is what I did and I think it really helped to elevate an already amazing show with Gokaiger. If you enjoyed Kakuranger, you would probably like Shinkenger as it has similar themes though isn't quite as wacky. Well, except for Genta. Other favorites of mine are Dekaranger, Dairanger, Gekiranger, and Zyuranger. Someone else mentioned kyoryuger and although I wasn't a huge fan it does have a similar tone to Kakuranger.

WillyFive

Oh dang, I forgot all about Gokaiger. There's one that needs to be watched if you liked Kakuranger, especially because Ninjaman is a major character in it's story arc.

hutna

Thanks for the recommendations guys!

Here is a kind of weird question:

My wife wants to decorate our stairs by hanging plastic kid's masks of our favorite rangers on the walls. Anyone know of a good source for buying these? I'm talking the cheap-o masks you can find being sold at stands in Japan.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
You like Burgermon right? Well p-bandai is selling plushies of him.
1000115425_1.jpg
1000115425_2.jpg
1000115425_3.jpg
1000115425_4.jpg

Oh dang, I forgot all about Gokaiger. There's one that needs to be watched if you liked Kakuranger, especially because Ninjaman is a major character in it's story arc.

Yeah, it's a much watch for sure. I do really recommend getting at least a handful of previous older titles under their belt before watching it.
It really increases your appreciation for the show when you can tell just how faithful the suit actors are with the different battle styles and such.

Gokaiger was actually the catalyst for why I started watching Sentai seriously.
I had always been interested in it but had never completed a series but one night a friend and I randomly stumbled upon a bunch of Gokaiger videos online and sat around drinking and watching random clips until the early hours. After seeing some of the crazier Gokai Silver forms I knew I had to get more Toku in my life.

After reading the general synopsis I decided to finally watch/finish some of the series I had always been interested in before jumping into Gokaiger.
Now I'm hooked and trying to figure out a good excuse to buy my son a Seiza Blaster just so I can play with it too. :3

hutna

Yeah, it's a much watch for sure. I do really recommend getting at least a handful of previous older titles under their belt before watching it.
It really increases your appreciation for the show when you can tell just how faithful the suit actors are with the different battle styles and such.

Gokaiger was actually the catalyst for why I started watching Sentai seriously.
I had always been interested in it but had never completed a series but one night a friend and I randomly stumbled upon a bunch of Gokaiger videos online and sat around drinking and watching random clips until the early hours. After seeing some of the crazier Gokai Silver forms I knew I had to get more Toku in my life.

After reading the general synopsis I decided to finally watch/finish some of the series I had always been interested in before jumping into Gokaiger.
Now I'm hooked and trying to figure out a good excuse to buy my son a Seiza Blaster just so I can play with it too. :3

Which shows should I watch before Gokaiger?

Which shows should I watch before Gokaiger?

They use so many different series that watching all of them would be a herculean task.

I honestly think it's best to just pick out earlier shows that have themes / characters / plots you are interested and go from there.

Outside of just transformations in battle there are numerous episodes where the original actors/actresses make a cameo.
There is no way I can remember all of them, but off the top of my head these ones had more substantial cameos:

Gingaman
Dekaranger
Kakuranger
Shinkenger
Boukenger
Hurricanger
Zyuranger
Magiranger
Jetman

It's honestly kind of insane how many cameos and references they managed to fit into the series while keeping things consistent.

That said, you can definitely still enjoy Gokaiger without any prep. I just feel like it enhances the experience thanks to how much attention to detail there is.

WillyFive

Gokaiger works perfectly even without watching any previous shows. Yes, there are spoilers for some past shows but if you've never seen them you wouldn't realize they are spoilers.

hutna

Oh I see gokaiger is the pirate themed show they mutalated into mega force.

Cool yeah we will try and watch as many as we find interesting then maybe do a mega marathon of gokaiger.

FOurze has the best ending of any Rider series.

Fourze was pretty amazing but as I mentioned earlier I LOVE the ending to Kuuga.
The final interaction between Godai and Ichijo was just J-Drama bromance at its finest.
And I liked how the final battle just devolved into a bloody fist fight.

ReiGun

Without spoiling shit, Fourze's ending was more personal then a lot of Toku endings.

It was pitch perfect for the show that preceded it. Where most Rider shows try to go for tragedy or melodrama in their closing moments, Fourze chose to be uplifting and kind of inspiring.

Pluto

I recommend Gekiranger and Shinkenger, martial arts and samurai themed respectively if you liked Kakuranger.
I also recommend Magiranger (magic and family themed), Dekaranger (police) and Carranger (Cars and comedy, very funny!).
Hurricanger if you want another ninja themed show.

ToQger is a very good show imo but also divisive, many people dislike it because of its simplistic designs but I thought the character development was very good and the color change gimmick kicked ass, a bit pointless but lots of fun.

I recommend Kamen Rider W as a first series, Fourze is also very good and Gaim is a must (but shouldn't be the first imo, I'd start with a more traditional series that's not a rider zoo).

WillyFive

ToQger had the best premise for any Sentai show I have seen, but they dropped the ball with execution hard. Having grown adults play the part of children just did not work out, it made them seem like idiots, a problem that would not have happened if they were played by actual children.

I've been meaning to ask, but how is Decade regarded? I like the idea of special anniversary shows that tie together previous entries like with Gokaiger. And at this point I have seen the majority of the original Heisei shows.

That said, I didn't really like what I saw in the Shinkenger cross over episode. I disliked the main character as a first impression.

Tiu Neo

I've been meaning to ask, but how is Decade regarded? I like the idea of special anniversary shows that tie together previous entries like with Gokaiger. And at this point I have seen the majority of the original Heisei shows.

That said, I didn't really like what I saw in the Shinkenger cross over episode. I disliked the main character as a first impression.

I'm not a fan, didn't like most of the execution and in some cases it made the series look way worse than it was, but there are a few good moments, like the Hibiki arc.

Don't really care for Tsukasa on the series, but he's fun on the crossovers after the series end.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
ToQger is a very good show imo but also divisive, many people dislike it because of its simplistic designs but I thought the character development was very good and the color change gimmick kicked ass, a bit pointless but lots of fun.

I recommend Kamen Rider W as a first series, Fourze is also very good and Gaim is a must (but shouldn't be the first imo, I'd start with a more traditional series that's not a rider zoo).

These were two of the things I actually disliked about the show lol. Although I only watched half the show

Slayven

Top 3 Kajiu

Mammoth Ant
Frankenstein Monster from Zyuranger
Ant Capone

Worse
Death Imagjin
The thing at the end of Kabuto
Pretty much any movie villian one

Thanks for the recommendations guys!

Here is a kind of weird question:

My wife wants to decorate our stairs by hanging plastic kid's masks of our favorite rangers on the walls. Anyone know of a good source for buying these? I'm talking the cheap-o masks you can find being sold at stands in Japan.

You can try somewhere like Mandarake or Jungle Japan for second-hand cheap merchandise. Just beware all the horrible Engrish!

Also, on the topic of Fourze, it really is one of the greatest Kamen Rider series ever made. It was developed after the tsunamis that wrecked Japan, and they felt they had to go all-out in terms of making an uplifting series. It completely nails it, and anyone bitter than its too "childish" or silly just can't let go for even a second, can they?

Its such a precious and pure-hearted series, for all the usual betrayal and killing in Kamen Rider.

NeonZ

Decade goes for a weird concept where most of the show is about him traveling through alternate "reimagination" versions of the previous Heisei series, it's not really a direct crossover. If you didn't like Tsukasa himself, I wouldn't recommend it since he's basically the only consistent element of the series.

Sou Da

It was pitch perfect for the show that preceded it. Where most Rider shows try to go for tragedy or melodrama in their closing moments, Fourze chose to be uplifting and kind of inspiring.

Ironically W's ending would have been better if they just stuck with the tragedy.

Sandfox

One thing I never liked about W is how we didn't get much on Shotaro's past.

I'm guessing the new Rider series is going to be inspired by Minecraft since it's popular with kids.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
If this Rider series truly is an anniversary one, I so want a Rider whose gimmick is summoning and taming classic mooks.

Sandfox said:
One thing I never liked about W is how we didn't get much on Shotaro's past.

I kind of liked that since he was sort of the "everyman" character befitting the detective motif---only thing I recall was the police dude mentioning he used to be a street kid.

Sandfox

If this Rider series truly is an anniversary one, I so want a Rider whose gimmick is summoning and taming classic mooks.

I kind of liked that since he was sort of the "everyman" character befitting the detective motif---only thing I recall was the police dude mentioning he used to be a street kid.
Decade 2?

Okay, sounds like I should just avoid Decade for now. I might just delve into some Showa series as I noticed a few of them are available on Netflix as well.

What's the TokuGaf's opinion on Toku themed animes like Samurai Flamenco or Garo Hono No Koukin?

I love OG Gatchaman and can still rewatch and enjoy it. I still find it amazing that it's the origin of the 5 member superhero team trope. I also think Gatchaman Crowds is one of the smartest anime shows made in the last decade. Although, the sentai elements are more subdued in that series to focus on other things.

Samurai Flamenco is bonkers and I loved it. Haven't seen Garo Hono No Koukin though.

Okay, sounds like I should just avoid Decade for now. I might just delve into some Showa series as I noticed a few of them are available on Netflix as well.

I love OG Gatchaman and can still rewatch and enjoy it. I still find it amazing that it's the origin of the 5 member superhero team trope. I also think Gatchaman Crowds is one of the smartest anime shows made in the last decade. Although, the sentai elements are more subdued in that series to focus on other things.

Samurai Flamenco is bonkers and I loved it. Haven't seen Garo Hono No Koukin though.

Saber Rider and The Star Sheriffs also had elements of Super Sentai.

https://youtu.be/YXtQTzJKikg

Tiu Neo

Ex-Aid 34

Hm. Genmdeus shows up somehow, and it's... not as misterious, lol. It's just a random Bugster that lived... somewhere in the game world. That somehow Pallad and Graphite could find easily. Ok, then.

Dan great as always. And we have one extra Gamer Driver, so Kiriya can come back. The bugsters as somewhat allies was cool too, still wish they work together to defeat Chronus somehow.

Taiga and Hiiro really need to discuss their relationship, lol.

Next episode, setup for the final form.

Flamenco was fucking garbage after the "twist" I don't care what any toku fan says.

I won't try to defend the narrative because it really does become hot mess in the later half. But I was still entertained as hell all the way to the end. Fucking Toku Prime Minister with a suit powered by approval ratings. LMAO

Top Bottom