• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TokuGAF 2017 |OT| Playing Trauma Center in Space and Hollywood

This is also a really good anime. The American dub isn't bad.

I've been meaning to watch this for years. I wonder where you can even find the JP version...

I still think OG Gatchaman is the GOAT when it comes to sentai anime. The historical significance of the fact that it basically inspired the entire sentai series which has become a cultural staple for 30+ years would be enough, but it's also a very intelligent series with a lot of interesting themes and messages.

Although Gatchaman Crowds is much less traditional, I actually appreciate the fact that they did their own thing.
I know a lot of people (including me before I gave it a chance) were just hoping for a traditional Sentai anime, but I am glad they didn't go that route.
Gatchaman was so special because there was really nothing like it at the time, and I feel like trying to directly recapture that same fomula would have been a waste of such an iconic franchise, since there have been literally hundreds of shows (live action or anime) which have reiterated on that same formula in so many different ways.

With Crowds, it feels like they set out to do something different and unique in order to pay tribute to just how revolutionary Gatchaman was for it's time period. And they did a damn good job!

...Sorry. My love for Gatchaman Crowds is well documented so it's hard to stop thinking about it once someone gets me started. Now I wanna rewatch both seasons again...
We are never gonna get a Season 3 are we? :( :( :( :(

Sou Da

I won't try to defend the narrative because it really does become hot mess in the later half. But I was still entertained as hell all the way to the end. Fucking Toku Prime Minister with a suit powered by approval ratings. LMAO

The "real life toku" plot with a purely idealistic and earnest character in an evil, grounded world was a lot more interesting than what followed.

It was like Kick-Ass but good.

Slayven

I saw the original adaption of Gatachaman. It was alright until you got to what they did to the little boy and the big guy. Holy hell it was cringey as fuck.

The "real life toku" plot with a purely idealistic and earnest character in an evil, grounded world was a lot more interesting than what followed.

It was like Kick-Ass but good.

Yeah, I mean I still enjoyed it but more just for how ridiculous the plot gets.

I think if the twist was just Guillotine Guerrilla with a more high stakes enemy leading up to the finale, that would have been excellent.

However, it then goes on to jump a shark, an orca, and finally a Basilosaurus in the second half of the season and gets into some pretty ridiculous territory.

I still had fun with it, but I can understand the complaints. Heh.

I saw the original adaption of Gatachaman. It was alright until you got to what they did to the little boy and the big guy. Holy hell it was cringey as fuck.

Although I watched Battle of the Planets as a kid, I can't really remember anything from it. I also don't think I ever want to go back and watch it now that I have seen
the source material...

Slayven

Yeah, I mean I still enjoyed it but more just for how ridiculous the plot gets.

I think if the twist was just Guillotine Guerrilla with a more high stakes enemy leading up to the finale, that would have been excellent.

However, it then goes on to jump a shark, an orca, and finally a Basilosaurus in the second half of the season and gets into some pretty ridiculous territory.

I still had fun with it, but I can understand the complaints. Heh.

Although I watched Battle of the Planets as a kid, I can't really remember anything from it. I also don't think I ever want to go back and watch it now that I have seen
the source material...
The little kid just made inane noises. That only worked for Copperkid of Silverhawks

I remember Alex Ross being a big fan of that series.
He is, he even did an artbook for the series

tumblr_nmkyzeZXy21rnvulyo1_1280.jpg

He is suppose to be an android

That was the official explanation? I just remember it being weird as hell, though my memory of it is extremely vague.

Didn't the adaptation add another completely new robot sidekick too? Or was that Voltron? It's been a looonng time since I have seen either adaptation.

^^^ Oh yeah that guy. So it was BotP

Tiu Neo

I dunno if anyone said it yet, but apparently those KR Build scans are true. Some new scans too, nothing too new (at least for me, since I don't know much Japanese)

WarRock

Ex-Aid 34
BEST BOY IS BACK AND BECAME MAX STEEL
How many heel turns and face turns this show had? Geez.

I liked Amazon himself, I liked the supporting characters, I liked a lot of the villains, I liked the fights, the music, and it gave me warm feelings watching it; it also wasn't dated enough that it made it unwatchable but it still had a lot of those great unique things old Toku had that new Toku doesn't. I also found the story enjoyable and interesting to follow, it was about the characters and how they related with one another. It was a proto-Fourze.
Fair enough! I only watched 3 or 4 episodes and to be honest everything after the first felt filler-ish. Still need to give it a fair shake.

Please stop bringing Nu Gavan back
The one thing Toei keeps bringing back, ugh.

What's the TokuGaf's opinion on Toku themed animes like Samurai Flamenco or Garo Hono No Koukin?
Samumenco rocks and so does Sunred. We need more.

WarRock

Any. He is now
IN TURBO MODE

Btw, Budokai reminded me I still have to watch Gatchaman Crowds season 2. So many things to do...

Toxi

Banned
Pallad's goal is to eradicate humanity with a MMO game?
I think it's more
to turn the tables so the Bugsters get to play a video game as the protagonists while the humans are stuck being cannon fodder enemies. Eradicating humanity isn't the goal so much as a side effect.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I think it's more
to turn the tables so the Bugsters get to play a video game as the protagonists while the humans are stuck being cannon fodder enemies. Eradicating humanity isn't the goal so much as a side effect.

No, he outright states it. Parado does it because
he wants Emu to finally play with him, with the fate of Bugsters and humans being secondary
. Irony is that Chronicles' effects mean that Parado's less of a priority for Emu ergo
he wouldn't play with him

WarRock

The best part of Gatchaman Crowds is that it has been like two or three years and I still start singing GATCHAMAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN out of nowhere every once in a while. Great tracks, great visual presentation.

night814

Been loving Kyu and Ex-Aid. After the trash that was Zyuohger anything would be welcome but Kyu is going above and beyond. Legit freaked when I saw they were teaming Deka(BOSSSUUU!!!). Can we get some Kenji Ohba love though please, he's the only true Gavan.

The best part of Gatchaman Crowds is that it has been like two or three years and I still start singing GATCHAMAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN out of nowhere every once in a while. Great tracks, great visual presentation.

Yup, I am the same. In all honesty, I should rewatch it sometime soon.

ash321

Been loving Kyu and Ex-Aid. After the trash that was Zyuohger anything would be welcome but Kyu is going above and beyond. Legit freaked when I saw they were teaming Deka(BOSSSUUU!!!). Can we get some Kenji Ohba love though please, he's the only true Gavan.

BOOOOOOO

Toxi

Banned
Kamen Sentai Gorider

This was a great crossover. It was so nice seeing the actors reprise their roles, and the plot is actually pretty well thought out. I like how what seemed to be a plot hole involving Kamen Rider Blade's presence ended up being an important element. I heavily recommend watching Agito, Blade, Gaim, and Ex-Aid before watching it as it has heavy spoilers for all those shows, especially Blade and Ex-Aid.
Okay I don't care what anyone says but Hiiro and Dan are the best characters on the show.
Dan is such a wonderful villain.

shaowebb

Soar loser is such a dope ass name

Grenader was a fucked up dude. Had the power to blow himself up and reform. Dude got off on that shit...like hard. He was always so eager to show up and pull his own pin. Creepy as hell. Show was so fuckin 80s lol. Everyone had some type of mullet. Even the girl lol.

Also on a side note I needs me some of the All rider generation goodness thats comin back to 3ds. Thought those beat em ups had ended. Gimmie Chou Climax Heroes 2 next. I wants me some Gaim in my 8way dash fighters.

Grenader was a fucked up dude. Had the power to blow himself up and reform. Dude got off on that shit...like hard. He was always so eager to show up and pull his own pin. Creepy as hell. Show was so fuckin 80s lol. Everyone had some type of mullet. Even the girl lol.

Sliced Ice was able to pull off that hairstyle.

Oh shiiiiiiittttt they added more sentai shows to Netflix Japan. I see Hurricanger, Timeranger, Abaranger, and Gaoranger so far. Wonder how comprehensive the additions are. Before today there was only Gokaiger and Go-Busters.

Edit: Hm okay those 4 might be the only new ones. Hopefully they fill out the backlog even more going forward!

Tiu Neo

Yes, Zyohger was a clear improvement over Ninninger. Not enough to be good though.

Hm, I'd say it was good. Still far from great, but it did some things well. I liked how they focused a lot less on Red, and how every character had it's time on the spotlight, even if there wasn't much that could be done with the character.

The big problem to me was the villains. Yeah, they were menacing when they did something, but for most of the series they were... nothing.

Toxi

Banned
Fourze Episode 13 and 14

Several years after Kamen Rider Blade, Kamen Rider Garren became the principal of a high school and turned evil again.

jwk94

There were so many things wrong about the finale.
I agree. They should've shown more of the dinosaur zoo =p.

Will we be seeing Kamen Rider Chronicle during E3? Not sure if Gemn ever attended the event.
Lmao. I'm shocked there isn't an ex-aid game. This would be perfect for one too. It doesn't even need other riders, just focus on everyone in ex aid and lean into the gaming aspect.

Top Bottom