• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TokuGAF 2017 |OT| Playing Trauma Center in Space and Hollywood

WarRock

O-T doing releases before Monday is so nice o:

So, the best thing about Build so far is the cast. Each character has pretty good synergy with each other. Sento may be the best example: his cockiness is cool, but without Misora or Ryuuga to contrast him, it would be really bland.

The second best is how different it looks in general, thanks to the filming locations. It actually feels like a different city/country, and the filming style also feels somewhat unique compared to the last ~5 seasons. The night scene in the pier/boat didn't feel like something I already seen multiple times, for instance, neither did the bike scene against the CGI monster in episode 2.

The worst parts easily are the weak posing game trend started on Ghost and how the belt voice lacks energy (but, hey, following Kageyama is not an easy task). The same is kinda true for the opening song, it sounds so low or maybe muffled.

So, the main heroine having a second idol personality is a thing now, huh?
There is a Koyomi joke to be found somewhere here.

Also one of the Best Matches is SpiderRefrigerator, when things get cold they turn solid, and Build's base is in a---you guessed it!---a refrigerator
Aaawww shiet.

Sento makes his own weapons.

Is that normal? I think it's very cool. Very cool protag.

EDIT: I really like the cast of characters in general. Banjou is an idiot but early Simpsons endearingly Homer level. The comedy isn't as juvenile as Ex-Aid either. The serious moments are better too. I can imagine a version of that scene on the boat but with one of sappy music from Ex-Aid playing in the background

Tiu Neo

Well, it's a shitty situation. The ratings are already bad, and now they're going to air agains two of the most popular animated series. Even if both are also by Toei, this could be the end of both series as we know them, depending on the impact. And even if the ratings from both series get better, that could mean Toei is losing viewers on the other two series.

I still have some hope that the change will bring new viewers, but... well, it's not looking good.

delSai

GatlingHawk is a pretty cool form. The fight scene were it was used wasn't too bad either.

But man, i'm really no fan of the idol character thing.

Stuart444

Kyuranger - 30

Good episode, though Leo Red Orion is OP.

Glad they addressed the fact that without Orion, there would be no one left to tell the tale of the Kyurangers. Thought they were going to not cover that fact.

Champ and Dragon Commander staying in the past, wonder when we'll see them again.

Back to the Present day where everything will surely be okay now that Don Armage is dead
Oh hi there Don Armage.

Next ep looks to be the end of the Evil Naga arc.

NeonZ

That translation is kind of odd...

Anyway, I wasn't getting some of the context there, and it turns out that the other Sunday morning programs they mention there only start a 8am. I guess this means moved this new show to start very early in order to avoid direct competition, since they don't have much confidence in the host, Higashiyama, but the Agency Johnny wants to promote him for the Olympics.

And, yeah, there's the issue of sponsors too. Not only Toei divisions produces all those series, the main sponsor of them all is Bandai. Something will have to move shortly because this situation just makes no sense for any of the parties involved.

Tiu Neo

Kyurangers 30

Even if it was a bit too Lucky centric for my tastes, this was a good episode. I wonder if Red Ultimate Forms will become a thing now. I mean, we had Red only powerups before, but Zyuohger's whale and this is a complete new set of powers, kinda like a Rider Ultimate Form. Oh yeah, it's OP, but I really like the costume, it's really cool. Reminds me a bit of Magiranger.

I wonder how much time it'll take for Xiao and Champ come back. I mean, Champ is a robot, he can probably just survive all those years. And, of course, Armage is alive in the future. Well, his design is pretty badass, would be a waste to not use it anymore.

Wow, 30 already. Anyway, I wonder how the timeline works in this. Are the Kyurangers from year 2350 or so and the earth didn't really evolve that much those years? Or even more, since even the past for Kyurangers is pretty futuristic, heh.

Pluto

Well, it's a shitty situation. The ratings are already bad, and now they're going to air agains two of the most popular animated series. Even if both are also by Toei, this could be the end of both series as we know them, depending on the impact. And even if the ratings from both series get better, that could mean Toei is losing viewers on the other two series.

I still have some hope that the change will bring new viewers, but... well, it's not looking good.
I don't think the ratings matter that much, DVRs are a thing and there are also the friday repeats and in the end it's about the toy sales anyway and those don't correlate with the ratings.

And I don't think sentai airing opposite One Piece is a big problem, sentai targets 3-5 year old children, One Piece has an older audience. In the current time slot it has to compete with some Pokémon show which is worse because the Pokemon audience skews younger like sentai.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Lucky Orion form just reminds me of Gaim Kiwami Arms form.

I was also wrong about Orion being Lucky father but I was on the right track as he's Lucky ancestor, though the show just kinda just throw it out of nowhere.

Build 03,

Build is a good show but it's just not quite there for me just yet but I am sure it will click around episode 10.

NeonZ

I don't think the ratings matter that much, DVRs are a thing and there are also the friday repeats and in the end it's about the toy sales anyway and those don't correlate with the ratings.

And I don't think sentai airing opposite One Piece is a big problem, sentai targets 3-5 year old children, One Piece has an older audience. In the current time slot it has to compete with some Pokémon show which is worse because the Pokemon audience skews younger like sentai.

Actually, the Pokemon variety show's newest version (Meet Up at the Pokémon House) got reduced to half an hour in 2015, starting from 8am. So, Sentai wasn't running against it anymore. And low ratings are the reason Toei was forced into this situation in the first place, since they have no negotiation power due to the shows performing badly.

Tiu Neo

^ Oh, yeah, there's that. I wonder if they'll keep targeting the same audience or change things up more.

Anyway.

Geed 11

Fukuide Kei may nod be a Juggler, but he's was pretty good this episode. Can't wait for the next one, shit hit the fan hard at this one.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Kyuranger 30

Gate of Babylon: Kyuranger Edition!
Shishi Red Orion is OP as fuck. That's like Rider Final Form OP. Trying to get that Rider money I guess.
The second time Champ has been written out. Does it relate to Akio Otsuka being expensive?

Fucking time travel...

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Yeah last I heard they were competing with Sofia The 1st.

But maybe kids don't wake up that early anymore.

Boss Doggie

You're thinking of Ninja Steel.

Nah in Japan too at least back then when I was watching the last few episodes of Pokemon XYZ. The Sunday variety show of Pokemon was preceded by Sofia. Since that's been a year since then the show probably has changed.

The new time slot had me thinking about the rationale for the switch. If Toei owns the competition that Build/Kyuranger are now up against, there's the distinct possibility that the switch is so the station has a sacrificial lamb to put up against those shows. Both Kamen Rider and Super Sentai are legacy shows that are really hard to cancel now because they're institutions. So, the network puts them up against shows from the same production company so that they have something to air in that time slot that the production company is inclined to keep around.

I had this thought due to classic Doctor Who, which was put up against Coronation Street for years because the BBC just needed something that had been on for a long time to air against a ratings juggernaut. Thoughts?

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Nah in Japan too at least back then when I was watching the last few episodes of Pokemon XYZ. The Sunday variety show of Pokemon was preceded by Sofia. Since that's been a year since then the show probably has changed.

Sofia is surprisingly popular too. A recent poll was done that asked people from the Showa & Heisei eras their favorite male and female characters each. Sofia got on the Heisei Female Characters list.

This list. It also has Kamen Rider 1, Kamen Rider Den-O Kamen Rider Ex-Aid, Kiriko from Drive and Poppy Pippapoppo. Along with Moonlight Mask, Ultra Seven, Anne from Ultra Seven, and Ultraman.

Boss Doggie

Sofia is surprisingly popular too. A recent poll was done that asked people from the Showa & Heisei eras their favorite male and female characters each. Sofia got on the Heisei Female Characters list.

This list. It also has Kamen Rider 1, Kamen Rider Den-O Kamen Rider Ex-Aid, Kiriko from Drive and Poppy Pippapoppo. Along with Moonlight Mask, Ultra Seven, Anne from Ultra Seven, and Ultraman.

Well shit, the "Sofia is the Decade of Disney Princesses" meme is actually coming true.

Build 03

I'm really liking it so far. They really are throwing a lot of stuff at you, both content wise and humor wise. Fast paced in all aspects. The only issue is the choreography is pretty lackluster. Dude got a form with wings and the first thing he does is do a slow jump on the pallet and then an awkward roll.

WarRock

Char Aznable. Hero. lul

Also, I've never heard of Sofia until now, I feel old and out of touch.

Apparently this is a big deal for fans of Kamen Rider W: Main protags doing a shoot promoting a W manga but this is the first time they've been together since forever.

DKM-Bt4VAAEWXWn.jpg

Actually I've been working through W atm so this is pretty cool.

Father and Son Toku Reviews

Welcome, one and all, to a hopefully recurring post where I, a grown man, review the week's superhero time shows with my son, a two month old baby. Whose opinion rings true? Find out now!

Kyuranger 30

Father says: I enjoyed this episode and found it to be a satisfying conclusion to everyone's trip to the past. Though I feel as though the debut of Shishi Red Orion felt a bit rushed, it was a very cathartic fight sequence. Obviously, I look forward to the ramifications of the trip to the past, but I'm liking how confident this show is becoming. It trusts its audience pretty nicely and continues to escalate the stakes of its premise. I'm hopeful Xiao and Champ find their way back soon, as Xiao remains the best character.

Son says: This is my favorite show, and I throw a fit if I hear the theme song and my parents haven't faced me towards the TV. The very bright lights and explosions continue to be enjoyable, as does the accompanying music. There was a long stretch in the middle without explosions that was uninteresting, and I briefly considered fussing, but calmed down once the big fight scene started. Dancing with Dad during the end credits remains confusing, but fun.

Build 03

Father says: I appreciate the confidence of this cast, particularly at this early stage. Everyone seems to know what they're doing and they're already working well together. From a political angle, I find the concept of a nation divided intriguing and I'm glad they're doing some much needed world building with the Prime Ministers. Good new suit for Build, though hopefully we take some downtime with all the forms and use a few more Trial Forms to parse things out. We've got the potential to see a new form in every episode, so we can afford to slow things down. While I found the trio of the reporter, the convict, and Build talking in a way that the entire troupe of bad guys should have heard to be ridiculous, I really like Build's motivation. It's also refreshing to have a protagonist with amnesia who isn't reminding me of that plot point at every moment. Build genuinely seems like he cares about getting his memories back, but that lack of memory doesn't define him. I look forward to the next episode.

Son says: There's far too much talking in this show, and I fell asleep after the fun hawk monster left the screen. Why aren't there more explosions like Kyuranger?

Apparently this is a big deal for fans of Kamen Rider W: Main protags doing a shoot promoting a W manga but this is the first time they've been together since forever.

Getting Masaki Suda back is kind of a big deal, since his career really took off and getting him to do a reprisal of W is difficult (see also Gentaro/Fourze and probably Kouta/Gaim).

jwk94

DKM-Bt4VAAEWXWn.jpg

Great to see the duo together again, but those hair styles are terrible. Is that the look they have in the manga or could they not change because they're working on some other projects?

WarRock

Son says: This is my favorite show, and I throw a fit if I hear the theme song and my parents haven't faced me towards the TV. The very bright lights and explosions continue to be enjoyable, as does the accompanying music. There was a long stretch in the middle without explosions that was uninteresting, and I briefly considered fussing, but calmed down once the big fight scene started. Dancing with Dad during the end credits remains confusing, but fun.
This is so good, haha.

Great to see the duo together again, but those hair styles are terrible. Is that the look they have in the manga or could they not change because they're working on some other projects?
The latter. Manga is close to the show with some minor tweaks (Shotaro's hair looks somewhat like Jingen from Lupin III).

Tiu Neo

Father and Son Toku Reviews

Welcome, one and all, to a hopefully recurring post where I, a grown man, review the week's superhero time shows with my son, a two month old baby. Whose opinion rings true? Find out now!

Kyuranger 30

Father says: I enjoyed this episode and found it to be a satisfying conclusion to everyone's trip to the past. Though I feel as though the debut of Shishi Red Orion felt a bit rushed, it was a very cathartic fight sequence. Obviously, I look forward to the ramifications of the trip to the past, but I'm liking how confident this show is becoming. It trusts its audience pretty nicely and continues to escalate the stakes of its premise. I'm hopeful Xiao and Champ find their way back soon, as Xiao remains the best character.

Build 03

Father says: I appreciate the confidence of this cast, particularly at this early stage. Everyone seems to know what they're doing and they're already working well together. From a political angle, I find the concept of a nation divided intriguing and I'm glad they're doing some much needed world building with the Prime Ministers. Good new suit for Build, though hopefully we take some downtime with all the forms and use a few more Trial Forms to parse things out. We've got the potential to see a new form in every episode, so we can afford to slow things down. While I found the trio of the reporter, the convict, and Build talking in a way that the entire troupe of bad guys should have heard to be ridiculous, I really like Build's motivation. It's also refreshing to have a protagonist with amnesia who isn't reminding me of that plot point at every moment. Build genuinely seems like he cares about getting his memories back, but that lack of memory doesn't define him. I look forward to the next episode.

Son says: There's far too much talking in this show, and I fell asleep after the fun hawk monster left the screen. Why aren't there more explosions like Kyuranger?

I like those reviews. I wonder if Ex-Aid would be more of his thing, since it at least had more vibrant colors.

Top Bottom