• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE |OT| Do You Remember MegaTen?

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I feel like the EX versions of Session moves should've been perhaps quicker versions of older/weaker session moves since near the end of the game, most of your session skills will be of EX or El-element versions. Some of them feel like they last longer than their weaker versions.

Also yes, I REALLY wish you could just insta-travel to Bloom Palace instead of the office. Or some other way to deal with having to constantly leave the dungeon to make new weapons & skills since it seems like you'll be doing it numerous times per chapter.

Will try to play more this weekend, I'm about...wanna say half way through the Ch. 6 dungeon. Last I recall, I'm about 73 hours in.

Ryne

Burnt out around chapter 4 dungeon, I'll pick it up again in a week but I hate dungeons like this. I know what to do, but doing it is not fun.

On Chapter 3 Playing Slowly.

So nice, did Kiria second side quest last night.

Now Training Touma and Ellie to Stage Rank 9 :D

Let's begin the Session Wave.

Thud

You need lot's of 6 star prestige near the end.

Radiant Skills and tons of carnages. So I'm like do I farm for them now or just go as is into the final boss.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
You need lot's of 6 star prestige near the end.

Radiant Skills and tons of carnages. So I'm like do I farm for them now or just go as is into the final boss.
If you're going to stop playing or go Lunatic, might as well end it now.

So what's the point of no return? I still need to max out some carnages and get everyone to rank 20.

I'm currently at
the tower with the glowy blue beam of light leading to the shadow dragon.

You're at that point.

Thought so, thanks for confirmation. Will finish up loose ends.

I have a few quest play records missing still, one right before the arena recruitment one, and 2 directly after.

Plus a bunch of miscellaneous combat ones and the like, think I'll just leave those though x_x

And I still have 2 locked chests in the final dungeon, but no more keys.

Thought so, thanks for confirmation. Will finish up loose ends.

I have a few quest play records missing still, one right before the arena recruitment one, and 2 directly after.

Plus a bunch of miscellaneous combat ones and the like, think I'll just leave those though x_x

And I still have 2 locked chests in the final dungeon, but no more keys.

One of the quests is from the Mirage you trade Detritus to. If you trade him 10 or so times next time you go into the Arena he'll leave for I.Daitama and you'll have a quest to save him. That quest unlocks a skill for Itsuki that opens locked chests without a need for a key.

The other 2 quests are NG+

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
a+ game except for the lack of in-battle subtitles. what the hell are they saying? there's so much battle chatter that i'm missing out on.

It's pretty much your standard battle banter, ala Persona 3/4.

Most of the pre-action comments are along the lines of being unsure if an attack will or won't work (when you either have or haven't figured out the weaknesses of an enemy yet), a teammate saying they'll either be able to jump in for a successful session attack or that it'll fail, or some phrase of thanks/relief for a heal or buff.

The lines during actions are the typical success/failure fare of "I did it," "This is going to hurt," "No way," though along the generic stuff there's a couple lines more in context to the type of attack (i.e. comments about freezing cold for an ice attack). The stuff during sessions is also fairly generic, sometimes with callouts to the next character coming in the pain parade.

Of course, the special attacks, adlibs, duos, etc are pretty specific lines.

Nyoro SF

It's pretty much your standard battle banter, ala Persona 3/4.

Most of the pre-action comments are along the lines of being unsure if an attack will or won't work (when you either have or haven't figured out the weaknesses of an enemy yet), a teammate saying they'll either be able to jump in for a successful session attack or that it'll fail, or some phrase of thanks/relief for a heal or buff.

The lines during actions are the typical success/failure fare of "I did it," "This is going to hurt," "No way," though along the generic stuff there's a couple lines more in context to the type of attack (i.e. comments about freezing cold for an ice attack). The stuff during sessions is also fairly generic, sometimes with callouts to the next character coming in the pain parade.

Of course, the special attacks, adlibs, duos, etc are pretty specific lines.

There's fun conversation bits between the Mirages and the characters once their turn begins too.
I might be incorrectly remembering a few, but I think this is how a couple go...

Caeda/Tsubasa
C: "You're cute, Tsubasa."
T: "Eh... EH.....?"

Chrom/Itsuki
C:I "We'll overcome fate!"
or
C: "I don't know if I can do this..."
I: "I'll protect you with everything I have!"

Cain/Touma
C: "Don't overexert yourself."
T: "Don't worry."

T: "Cain, lend me your strength!"
C: "But of course!"

Draug/Mamori
M: "Pace yourself properly! 1, and 2, and..."
D: "Understood!" (switches up his counting type for some reason)

Tharja/Kiria
T: "Ehehehheheheh...EHEHEHEHEHE"
K: "W...what the hell, Tharja..."

There's also a bunch of lines for when characters get hit with certain status effects, or if a preceding character got KO'd, or if you're wearing a certain costume.

Whizkid7

There's fun conversation bits between the Mirages and the characters once their turn begins too.
I might be incorrectly remembering a few, but I think this is how a couple go...

Caeda/Tsubasa
C: "You're cute, Tsubasa."
T: "Eh... EH.....?"

Chrom/Itsuki
C:I "We'll overcome fate!"
or
C: "I don't know if I can do this..."
I: "I'll protect you with everything I have!"

Cain/Touma
C: "Don't overexert yourself."
T: "Don't worry."

T: "Cain, lend me your strength!"
C: "But of course!"

Draug/Mamori
M: "Pace yourself properly! 1, and 2, and..."
D: "Understood!" (switches up his counting type for some reason)

Tharja/Kiria
T: "Ehehehheheheh...EHEHEHEHEHE"
K: "W...what the hell, Tharja..."

There's also a bunch of lines for when characters get hit with certain status effects, or if a preceding character got KO'd, or if you're wearing a certain costume.

Tharja's is my favorite because it's super easy to recognize and it actually reminds me that it's Tharja since none of her promoted classes look a thing like her :/ Why does everyone except Chrom and Caeda end up looking so weird.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Just started Chapter 5 last night. This is easily my frontrunner for JRPG of the year (at least for western releases).

HawthorneKitty

I thought chapter 5 was fine since the puzzle mechanics stood out with simple solutions that only looked overbearing at a glance.

Thud

Chapter 5 is better than chapter 4.

I finished the game on hard after about 72 hours. Impressive experience throughout the entirety of the game. Minor gripes are the game designs for fetch quests and slaying monsters. Tsubasa's final costume ingame model and the lack of a tab for requests.

The plot itself is teasing with darkness, but always manages to turn it into a positive one. Writing something that's more light hearted is hard to pull off well. So I'll praise the effort.

Late game spoilers:
I thought the shadow dragon part was done alright. Way better than what Awakening did.

The battle mechanics are the games biggest strength. After 70+ hours I still enjoyed messing around with it and I actually did most of the final battle with Tsubasa and Touma with a switch to Kiria when it got a bit hectic. I like how they put the emphasis on the animation of the attacks, which is why I got into Fire Emblem in the first place. I had my struggles on hard at first, but I became a god in the endgame.

Sidestories were full of charm and amazing cutscenes. Game didn't take itself too seriously, I can appreciate that. At the end I loved all the characters even Barry. I do think Ayaha and Tiki=Waifu should have gotten more screentime.

Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE is a fine Atlus RPG with the spirit of Fire Emblem in it. I hope Intelligent Systems has been taking notes, because this is the level I expect Fire Emblem to be if it hits consoles again.

Astral Dog

ohmygod, i was on normal difficulty then thi boss destroyed me until i chose to lower it to Easy, and then he killed me again, (i didnt even notice much difference except the enemies have less hp but attack the same) what am i doing wrong? i got the newest weapons, im 3.-4 levels above the boss, try to change character but it does not work either, i dont want to change the difficulty to Friendly :,(

The problem is i think the common enemies are easy or not a threat, and are leaving little experience then the bosses crush the characters in a few turns. i was not having problem until now (chapter 3) but this thing is giving me troble, maybe im just bad.

Lusankya

ohmygod, i was on normal difficulty then thi boss destroyed me until i chose to lower it to Easy, and then he killed me again, (i didnt even notice much difference except the enemies have less hp but attack the same) what am i doing wrong? i got the newest weapons, im 3.-4 levels above the boss, try to change character but it does not work either, i dont want to change the difficulty to Friendly :,(

The problem is i think the common enemies are easy or not a threat, and are leaving little experience then the bosses crush the characters in a few turns. i was not having problem until now (chapter 3) but this thing is giving me troble, maybe im just bad.

Are you using your SP skills? I recommend going with 3 SP into the fight and especially using Kiria's second SP skill (Pastel Hour, it's super broken). Also using Attack Mirrors will always help.

I'm finding the idol stuff either hilarious or oddly endearing. Did not expect that at all.

Also thank God for freaky ass Tharja making it into another game.

Astral Dog

Are you using your SP skills? I recommend going with 3 SP into the fight and especially using Kiria's second SP skill (Pastel Hour, it's super broken). Also using Attack Mirrors will always help.

well, not really in this case because im trying to focus on the mooks around him before using SP, Kiria has only one i think, she has not unlocked her second skill yet, but im getting it as soon as possible.
what are Mirror Attacks?

random25

Kyria's Pastel Hour is pretty effective to confuse or charm the boss and its lackeys. Then go all out in sessions and just cast another one again if the effect vanishes.

Edit: Already answered lol.

Lusankya

well, not really in this case because im trying to focus on the mooks around him before using SP, Kiria has only one i think, she has not unlocked her second skill yet, but im getting it as soon as possible.
what are Mirror Attacks?

For the mooks I recommend using area of effect SP skills if you don't have Kiria's second skill yet.

There are two "mirror" items you can buy at the Hee Ho market, one against physical and one against magical attacks. They will reflect one attack of the respective type and are helpful against the stronger boss attacks.

So Chrom just got Fighting Spirit, raises his damage the more HP he has. That seems super useful, but wtf do I get rid of?? Maybe quick step (+evade)?

Alright, my trophies look like this now:

Cn9jSgFUAAEuNnP.jpg:large

I'm pretty satisfied with that, just grindy miscellaneous stuff left (savage/rare enemies, healing, 1000 battles etc) and the NG+ stuff.

Gonna fight the final boss now and then I'm done.

mclem

I believe I'm at the final boss door. In the mop-up phase before going into the fight, trying to figure how much stuff I actually want to do.

* Most characters have their best carnage at +2 or +3 (Mamori one below because I don't like the miss chance). All characters above L60.
* Not sure I can be arsed getting 80 Advanced Arena coins, but I'll see how I like the item from 20.
* Would like to farm enough 6-Star Prestige to max out the Radiants.

Anything else I should probably make a point of addressing before I finish the game off? I've done all the sidequests I can find, at least.

(Oh, and getting a little irritated by the fact that I'm having difficulty getting the various "Looted" records because my bags are full of Chakra Pots and Soma and I can't bring myself to just sell the damn things)

....aw crap, you only get ONE coin for beating it, meaning only 6 coins for doing 15 battles in a row instead of 18 coins? Maybe I should just come back after beating the Ch. 6 dungeon....
It still triples twice, so nine.

HawthorneKitty

I believe I'm at the final boss door. In the mop-up phase before going into the fight, trying to figure how much stuff I actually want to do.

* Most characters have their best carnage at +2 or +3 (Mamori one below because I don't like the miss chance). All characters above L60.
* Not sure I can be arsed getting 80 Advanced Arena coins, but I'll see how I like the item from 20.
* Would like to farm enough 6-Star Prestige to max out the Radiants.

Anything else I should probably make a point of addressing before I finish the game off? I've done all the sidequests I can find, at least.

(Oh, and getting a little irritated by the fact that I'm having difficulty getting the various "Looted" records because my bags are full of Chakra Pots and Soma and I can't bring myself to just sell the damn things)

It still triples twice, so nine.
If you're going Lunatic, everything is going to be gone...

muteki

How quickly you start getting skills and carnages once you get the ability to +1 your weapons is really getting on my nerves.

lmao at the chapter 2 boss. I was thinking that the game has been too easy so far on hard and I get to this dude and these crits are out of control. almost had it done and it wiped the party in one hit

random25

Finally beat that Kyria in Wonderland side quest. That was one ridiculous fight as both bosses can one hit Kyria and Tsubasa. I can finally move on to start chapter 4.

I finally beat the game last night with best ending. About 55 hours total with best ending. Loved every minute of it!

I started new game plus, and took the opportunity to curb stomp everything through chapter 1. Is there a list of what extra content is in NG+? I know from the thread that there is an
extra boss
, and I got the couple of new
costumes for Itsuk
i. Anything else I should be on the lookout for?

Demonfang

Banned
So i just beat the game ... Im suprised at how much i enjoyed the game. I want a sequel please Nintendo but i suppose it won't happen :/

Dimmle

There's a best ending? I'm at the beginning of Chapter 6, anyone care to give me a spoiler-free rundown of what I need to do?

Redberyl

Neo Member
Just started chapter 3, game has a lot of charm and I'm really enjoying it so far (no previous experience with Persona or Fire Emblem), gameplay formula seems like it would work really well if they ever decide to make a new Mega Man Battle Network.

Top Bottom