• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE |OT| Do You Remember MegaTen?

Thud

Thanks!

Btw, I know Barry is the worst, but damn he made me laugh in Tiki's third story.

Hey guys I'm gonna train in the Idolasphere so everybody think I'm cool again.

no Barry, you're not strong, no Mirage, no weapons etc.

Barry: TL;DR

Lol

Woof

It's Barry's third sidequest tho. Tiki initiates it.

Gonna finish Mamori's and then start chapter 6.

Beat the boss of Chapter 4 and wow was that stressful. In the later half I'm suddenly bombarded with party-wide Dyne spells. That was nuts.

Chilikar

Beat the boss of Chapter 4 and wow was that stressful. In the later half I'm suddenly bombarded with party-wide Dyne spells. That was nuts.
I hated that battle, had to grind for about an hour before I could finish him off properly. I was underlevelled to the point that his ma-dyne attacks would borderline kill off my whole party. The grinding made the battle much more manageable

Vena

I hated that battle, had to grind for about an hour before I could finish him off properly. I was underlevelled to the point that his ma-dyne attacks would borderline kill off my whole party. The grinding made the battle much more manageable

Kiria's Pastel breaks that fight.

Astral Dog

what difficulty level are you on?

i dont want to stop grinding for too long for a boss if i get stuck

Chilikar

Kiria's Pastel breaks that fight.
Just to clarify,
this is the boss with corrupted druag right?
Is pastel her special performance? I've only used mabufu with kiria on the boss since her character kept dying at one point.
what difficulty level are you on?

i dont want to stop grinding for too long for a boss if i get stuck
Wow I honestly can't remember. I think I chose normal mode sunset I don't like my games incredibly challenging. The grinding actually didn't feel too bad since I was trying to level up my carnage unity's

Vena

Just to clarify,
this is the boss with corrupted druag right?
Is pastel her special performance? I've only used mabufu with kiria on the boss since her character kept dying at one point.

Kiria's second quest, which is about Cute Kiria, is what gives her the Pastel ability (1SP). I don't remember its full name. It afflicts one of the many hard control conditions (Seal, Confused, Charm, Stun) regardless of seemingly any resistance or immunity. I have never seen it fail and it makes most boss fights incredibly easy (or in some more difficult situations, much more manageable with a party that you don't grind up) as they are, effectively, stun-locked ad infinitum.

If you manage SP or have Clap Tracks, you can shut down fights except for the odd turn where an enemy breaks out of the stun (it completely trivializes Savage Encounters as they do not have the same porperties as bosses to break out of hard control after two turns). Also using Pastel removes any character AFTER Kiria from the queue for that entire turn. It is, aside from Mass Destruction, the most OP move in the game in my opinion. It also completely blows Itsuki's two-turn special out of the water as it, effectively, does the same thing by removing all enemies from the queue and costing 1 SP rather than 2. It does, however, require a fast Kiria which may require luck or proper accessories to use effectively.

It works on every boss. It works exceptionally well on the next main boss as well, keep it in mind for there if you have trouble.

Kiria's second quest, which is about Cute Kiria, is what gives her the Pastel ability (1SP). I don't remember its full name. It afflicts one of the many hard control conditions (Seal, Confused, Charm, Stun) regardless of seemingly any resistance or immunity. I have never seen it fail and it makes most boss fights incredibly easy (or in some more difficult situations, much more manageable with a party that you don't grind up) as they are, effectively, stun-locked ad infinitum.

If you manage SP or have Clap Tracks, you can shut down fights except for the odd turn where an enemy breaks out of the stun. Also using Pastel removes any character AFTER Kiria from the queue for that entire turn. It is, aside from Mass Destruction, the most OP move in the game in my opinion. It also completely blows Itsuki's two-turn special out of the water as it, effectively, does the same thing by removing all enemies from the queue and costing 1 SP rather than 2. It does, however, require a fast Kiria which may require luck or proper accessories to use effectively.

It works on every boss. It works exceptionally well on the next main boss as well, keep it in mind for there if you have trouble.

I just unlocked Mass Destruction. What makes it so good?

Dee Dee

Since I've got Ellie up to 80 skill I start of Savage Encounters with her using Mass Destruction to kill 2 to 3 enemies at the start of the battle, sometimes with another taken out on the session following it.

Oh, that's that Ellie special.
Yeah, haha, I had some fun with that after adding some skill accessories on her.
Never used it much in endgame though, but yeah, not sure why - it's pretty nuts.
I wiped some savage ememies with that once - Ellie started the battle with that, session triggered a duo arts, another session, and the fight's over before it even began...

Mawarup

Neo Member
Finished up at 71 hours on Hard. That was another good JRPG to go through. Though I can't say for a game that sold me onto the Wii U it was anything special. Well I do atleast have other things to play on the Wii U. Though maybe might take a break from JRPG as this game did a good job to fill that need for a bit.

If you manage SP or have Clap Tracks, you can shut down fights except for the odd turn where an enemy breaks out of the stun (it completely trivializes Savage Encounters as they do not have the same porperties as bosses to break out of hard control after two turns). Also using Pastel removes any character AFTER Kiria from the queue for that entire turn. It is, aside from Mass Destruction, the most OP move in the game in my opinion. It also completely blows Itsuki's two-turn special out of the water as it, effectively, does the same thing by removing all enemies from the queue and costing 1 SP rather than 2. It does, however, require a fast Kiria which may require luck or proper accessories to use effectively.

If I need to proc it at the start of fights I put faster characters in and switch to her.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Well uh...I guess I beat the Ch. 6 boss? Took only 5 "rounds" & his status ailments weren't that annoying. Granted, I'm on Normal & everyone was about level 55.

Also guessing that the story you hear during that chapter is
a retelling of the first Fire Emblem game? I got the hint from "Shadow Dragon" which I know was the subtitle for the DS remake of the original

Guess while I'm thinking about it, are there any other "secret" skills like being able to unlock chests w/o the Treasure Key item? I see one skill where I need to complete Arena on Advanced to get the performa needed to make that.

Neol

Anyone have a list of the class exclusive skills each character can get?

Don't really care at the moment as I'm just class changing based on looks but it would be nice to know if there was a really good skill I should pick up along the way.

Does anybody know where to find bloodwing knight? I need its material performa, but I can't find it.

There around the Daiba Studio Idolasphere. You can check the locations in the analysis section in the menu or pressing X when making carnage weapons.

Kevinroc

Just finished off Chapter 4. I unlocked some sidequests along the way that I'll do during the intermission.

Yikes. That boss battle was stressful.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Finally, all side stories completed. Also got a trophy for........"mastered Maiko"??

Man, I REALLY wish you could do something with your older #-star prestige that you have no use for, like putting them towards higher numbered prestige.

Brakke

Banned
Some of the dudes you recruit to the arena will take low level mats and spit out higher level mats. Really laborious process, and hard to get reliable results out of it tho.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I just find it annoying that I'm in the Ch. 6 dungeon, yet for some reason will STILL get freakin' 4-star prestige despite no longer needing anything less than a 6.

Also why does it take so long for certain characters to get skills that others got earlier, like the "take one lethal hit with 1HP remaining" skill.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
I just find it annoying that I'm in the Ch. 6 dungeon, yet for some reason will STILL get freakin' 4-star prestige despite no longer needing anything less than a 6.
Not true

Also why does it take so long for certain characters to get skills that others got earlier, like the "take one lethal hit with 1HP remaining" skill.
Not everything is the same, so what.

Thud

There's a difference in radiant skills, one is for magical attacks and the other for physical attacks.

Lower tier stars are obviously for weapon upgrades. Although I rather have 5 stars instead.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Think I used a bit of 4 & 5 stars when I did a 2nd class change, but for radiant skills, I've gotten everyone to the point I need 6 stars. But it's mainly adding another skill that's passive & such.

Though I guess it only falls into annoying when I have to realize "oh crap, this character can't take a lethal hit & stay with 1HP left yet" during a battle.....like during Yashiro's final side-story...

mclem

Spoilers for how I think that boss mechanics work:

She seems to at some point shift into a black form, where she constantly casts 2xMa*dyne each turn, as a negative, but is weak to everything as a positive. I've noticed her do that once when her partner was killed, and I've also noticed it when her partner was still alive but the fight was going on for a long time (12+ turns or so?). I've never yet seen her shift out of the black form, which makes me think that it's a WoW-esque soft enrage; a stage of the fight that becomes purely "kill her before she kills you"

Spoilers for how I think that boss mechanics work:

She seems to at some point shift into a black form, where she constantly casts 2xMa*dyne each turn, as a negative, but is weak to everything as a positive. I've noticed her do that once when her partner was killed, and I've also noticed it when her partner was still alive but the fight was going on for a long time (12+ turns or so?). I've never yet seen her shift out of the black form, which makes me think that it's a WoW-esque soft enrage; a stage of the fight that becomes purely "kill her before she kills you"

The trigger is health-based IIRC

mclem

This amused me:

1iRgAaV.png

mclem

The trigger is health-based IIRC

She was on near-full health when she changed to black at the time I killed her partner, so I don't think it's just that mechanic

Chapter 6 spoilers:

...or she works differently when you encounter her in Chapter 6, because that's the time I actually managed to kill her partner

Tsun

Neo Member
is anybody else having problems with the game crashing alot? Its happened to me twice just within the last hour both times was just in menus as well.

Thud

is anybody else having problems with the game crashing alot? Its happened to me twice just within the last hour both times was just in menus as well.

Mine crashed in the chapter 5 intermission. First and last time it happened. I've been saving whenever I got a chance afterwards.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
The minute sub-cast can join in on sessions is when items, money, and random battles become completely trivialized. Feels good, man.

Neol

Game crashed when I class changed Chrom.

Bit worrying but everything seems fine so far.

Javier

The game should prompt to save more often. I understand you can save anywhere, but sometimes you can get carried away by the game for so long that you can spend a whole hour without saving.

Beating a Mid-Boss and finishing Sidequests/Requests should end with the Save prompt.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
The game should prompt to save more often. I understand you can save anywhere, but sometimes you can get carried away by the game for so long that you can spend a whole hour without saving.

Beating a Mid-Boss and finishing Sidequests/Requests should end with the Save prompt.
I save like every 10-15 minutes, precisely because I am unable to return to a game in which I spend an hour doing something and lose it all due to a crash or power outage or something.

MoonFrog

So, I beat the game some weeks back. I bought it out of a morbid curiosity and hearing that it was a good JRPG and enjoyed it for the most part. The Fire Emblem tie-in was mostly lame; it didn't help that they just took characters from the Akaneia games, which aren't really where the best characters are, and barely developed them. Per the OP, I'm not allowed to talk about the idol thing, but that wasn't as obnoxious as I thought it'd be. But I went in knowing I'd have these complaints, and as I said the idol one wasn't as bad as I thought it'd be.

So some thoughts:

I liked the battle system a lot, particularly early on when you don't have as many session skills and have to think a bit how to best use your turns and subcast to get the most out of combos. That strategy disappears mostly by the end when your session skills are maxed out and everyone can attack from the subcast. I immediately started over on lunatic just to experience some of the early battles again; got through chapter 1 again before I moved on.

The dungeons were generally neat, but I think their stories were going for the 'dark side' of idol life while the main cast always turned the story into the boppy side of idol life, which made it seem like they didn't get what was going on at all. Still, I enjoyed the light puzzles, bosses, etc.

Chapters 5 and 6 were weaker than the earlier chapters. 6 was fine from a dungeon standpoint, whereas 5 was retreading (although thankfully with expanded puzzles). 6, however, was the triumph of the lackluster Fire Emblem underbelly in terms of story.

The sidequests...are of varying quality, with some of them seeming undercooked and others pulling off a degree of 'anime' charm without having anything deeper going on. Basically contemporary Fire Emblem support conversations, I guess. Having since gone on to play Persona 4 (bought that and Nocturne after playing this), this looks worse in hindsight.

As to the requests, I felt I never really got anything for doing them. Money and items were never a problem and the locktouch is the only one I remember, which I thought was something cool to get. More player abilities should be tied to them or something.

As to the characters...well, per the sidequest statement above, I think pretty much all of them, except for Tsubasa who got a lot of service in the early parts of the main story, were undercooked.

The harem game made me uncomfortable. The game was simultaneously pushing hard a 'canon' Itsuki/Tsubasa relationship while also have every female in the central cast want in your pants. For me, Tsubasa was on that side of anime cute where it is always a mix between adorable/amusing and disgusting so I didn't find her particularly attractive in that way. At the same time, none of the other options were developed past people hitting on you and having random crushes on you. Moreover, other than using salacious dialogue, I guess, (which I wouldn't do in real life or in game :p) you couldn't make a choice in game. Basically, I liked Kiria the best from a personality/looks perspective but I found her sidequests and romance 'angle' lacking, while I also found it pretty awkward/awful to do Tsubasa like that...

Astral Dog

I have been savimg every 15 minutes or so, save, save, save. You have to make an habit of it :p

Mashing

And ya, it scales really crazily off of skill. It quickly becomes the strongest move in the game for raw damage.

Elly is by far the strongest party member. She has an amazing skill set.

Edit: Well, by far is not accurate. She's a bit more better than Kiria, but only because her SP skills are better than Kiria's.

Top Bottom