• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomba Special Edition Out today....Dev admits launch product has bugs, patch coming but WTF..??

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Like why release it if it has known bugs that you are already aware of? They have to be significant for him to mention it on release day. Unacceptable, and the release should've been delayed if there wasn't going to be a day one patch.

Scummy practice.....now i'm not getting this for months until it's known all bugs are resolved if at all.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
We know what Tomba! means for the fans

Scared Give Me Your Money GIF by Dynamo Magician

Stupid. The reviews and first impressions are important. You can't expect outlets to go back and re-review your game.
SwitchUp does that pretty often for Switch games, but that's about it.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
What are the issues? No software is 100% bugless so to say otherwise would be a lie. Now if it's some game breaking thing that means 90% of players will not be able to play or finish the game, sure, you have a point, but just saying they're aware of issues they're fixing is like, just a duh moment 🤷‍♂️

80% positive on Steam atm so can't be that bad/immediately obvious there are issues. Most complains seem to be fluff like the game being stuck to 4:3 like the original without widescreen hacks or whatever and general lack of advanced options emulators with decades of updates offer nowadays.

Do people think that whenever a company announces a release date or that a given game has "gone gold" that means that 100% reported by the QA bugs have been eliminated and only issues discovered after the fact will be present in the pressed/launched copies of the game or what? Never, lol.

Last edited:

YeulEmeralda

Linux User
Games have been released broken for a long ass time. Blame the industry, blame consumers.

Edit for a recent example Alone in the dark had endings that were bugged.

Last edited:

cireza

Gold Member
Pretty sure MVG is in a situation where he would have preferred not having to do this communication, but he is not the one who decided to release the game at this date. This sucks even more if there is a physical release at the same time.

Last edited:

cireza

Gold Member
Wasn't this just shoddy emulation?
They say they have an engine they use for their re-releases, but I think this is mainly a "wrapper" engine in which they drop an emulator. It probably streamlines features around the emulator, like retroarch I guess.

So yeah, if they have bugs, it means it is either their wrapper engine that brings new bugs, or their emulator that is not good enough.

Last edited:

Trilobit

They say they have an engine they use for their re-releases, but I think this is mainly a "wrapper" engine in which they drop an emulator. It probably streamlines features around the emulator, like retroarch I guess.

So yeah, if they have bugs, it means it is either their wrapper engine that brings new bugs, or their emulator that is not good enough.

So this is pretty much just an emulated version with some bells and whistles?
tomba-special-edition-screenshot-12_5468592c-c6c8-4a3f-abb3-7cbc9ae24cf2.jpg

tomba-special-edition-screenshot-13_b0e7cc68-1f52-4563-ad05-aad1fc197f64.jpg

Does it even have any CRT filter? This is going to look beyond awful on my PS5 and 4K Oled.

Why didn't they remake it with these kinds of graphics?
MV5BNjEwMzlkMDEtMGQwYy00MmEwLWE4OWItNDBlNWI4N2VkNDdjXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTA0MTM5NjI2._V1_.jpg

While I'm glad that Tomba gets some recognition and perhaps if we're lucky a future sequel, this smells like a cashgrab and a poor one at that.

Last edited:
It emulates perfectly on multiple free emulators. And you get more options and higher quality in terms of how you want to present it too. What a joke.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Amazing PCSX - Rearmed.....

tgB02Fo.jpeg

1. They're using a very old, supposedly reliable, emulator and still getting errors?
2. Of all the emulators, they chose that? Duckstation or even EPSXE would be much better options.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
Not going to knock them on the choice of emulator (if it works it works) but this is the best “be careful what you wish for” release I can remember.

Krathoon

Gold Member
"Hey guys we are going to release a partially finished product. Bear with us because your such great fans!"

That is the attitude we are dealing with these days. Yeesh.

Good thing they don't work for Boeing.

Reminds me of the half assed written, final two episodes of the last season of Doctor Who.

Last edited:

Trilobit

Tomba 2 doesn't deserve this kind of video. It's ugly beyond belief, but has very fun puzzles to solve. There are unfortunately very few games in that wonderful genre.

Honestly, that video was painful without green hoodie guy. The moustache guy is where charisma goes to die. I empathize with GHG as he at least tries to do something entertaining even if he fails completely. The rough part is that if you're with a fun group you can riff off eachother and build up a poor joke into something amazing, so I feel the others are much more cringe inducing and probably have zero social skills.

I'm only basing this on that short video so I might be completely wrong.

Krathoon

Gold Member
I just started the game and I already see a bug in the start menu. The graphics on the clouds are corrupted.

Top Bottom