• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Too Human – Stand and be counted

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doc Evils

Unison said:
Didn't we read that Too Human cost $70 million? Considering that would be a good start in figuring out how much it needs to sell for Dyack to save face....

Also, we should compare its game review scores against the inevitable Diablo 3... see how it stacks up.

:eek: that's near GTAIV's budget.

bluemax

Banned
Dyack isn't their anyone telling you to reign it in just a little? I realize you're at the top but there's gotta be someone telling you to just let your body of work speak for itself instead of stooping to this level.

I for one am looking forward to your game. I've been ignoring the media on it as much as possible for about a year now. Regardless of the hype or anti hype I'm morbidly curious to see how a project in gestation for so long.

I'm also curious, as a low level member of the industry, to see just what kind of repercussions the end results have on the rest of us.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I'm more excited for Mythos than Too Human. Does that mean anything?

Busty

Banned
I love how this thread is divided into five distinct camps.

1) People who are looking forward to the game.

2) People who are no longer looking forward to the game.

3) People who were never looking forward to this game.

4) People who are desperately trying to defend Dyack in the misguided hope he'll PM them and ask them to be interns at his studio over the summer.

5) People who think that Dyack is madder than a bag of cats....but rich enough to get away with it.

krzyspc

Banned
FIREBABY said:
FOR!
I've got to admit, for a dev to come on a hardcore forum and make such a bold claim, it has to be good. Right? Whatever. I've always liked SK's games and will hopefully like this one to. For some reason though, if it turns out just as good as Mr. Dyack says it is, no one will admit it. Be prepared for the Averege vs. GOTY warz. You know its going to happen.

His bold claim was " I certainly feel it is the best game we have ever made. " Which is funny as SK has only made 5 games in 16 years. Last game was 6 years ago and before that 4. Not exactly something that is hard to top.

Zilch

Banned
I only read the first two pages... has anyone actually stopped whining about Denis' "ego" and had the balls to post "against"?

This is a pretty good way to shut up trolls, I think.

Desi

DarthJ said:
For!

When I can get it for 20 bucks
I actually probably buy it when someone tries to trade it in like KUF: Circle of Doom. Not to sound rude but unless it is the most amazing thing ever and I have to get it I can't get pumped anymore.

Zilch said:
I only read the first two pages... has anyone actually stopped whining about Denis' "ego" and had the balls to post "against"?

I said against on the first fucking page. Shit I was the first.

Speevy

Banned
Zilch said:

Yeah, plenty.

fanduck

Terms:

Metacritic score >= 90
Those voting against must give Dyack props publicly in the Too Human official thread for a job well done, and, regardless of personal opinion of the game, must never speak out against Too Human.

Metacritic score < 80
Those voting against may bash Dyack til their heats content in all Dyack/Too Human related threads.

Dyack himself must publicly apologize in the official Too Human thread for making a disappointing game and disappointing gamers with his promises. As well, he must acknowledge all those who voted against for having better judgment than himself.

Hunahan

Banned
Holy shit. :lol

This right here is the reason to read GAF. I can't stop laughing.

But I agree. A GAF-tag for you is going to be pretty weak. Take it public.

There is only one punishment that will make this appropriate.

If GAF determines Too Human to be shitty, Denis should have to record and send in an audio sample of him telling the world that GAF's opinion is unfallable and mail it to 1up Yours, where they can play it on loop for the delight of the masses.

It's the only way.

Do it.

For the record, the only thing I've ever said about Too Human is that I want to play a demo, which is still how I feel about the game itself.

Barrett2

Diablos said:
You don't get it.

It has nothing to do with video games being "super serious business", rather the fact that he's basically promoting his game through what is more or less an ignorant troll on a video game message board (talk about "serious business").

I don't get what sort of standard you expect game Devs to be held to. When a film director talks up his upcoming movie to distributors or marketers, is he "trolling?" When a novelist writes an article talking about how amazing his next book will be, is that embarrassing himself?

Why should game developers not be allowed to interact with the gaming community in the way they see fit? If a Dev wants to engage in some punchy dialogue with the gaming community, how exactly is that beneath them?

Isn't this the sort of thing that is often missing from companies and product development? We complain that companies and their leaders get too out of touch with consumers, yet as soon as a company executive actually descends to the literal 'consumer level' to interact with people, they get killed.

Who cares if Dyack is 'trolling,' as you claim? If his game is shit, people won't buy it. But the idea that you would seriously take offense to Denis 'muddying the waters' of GAF discussion is a bit silly, IMO. I would much rather have Denis or any dev personally communicating their thoughts on their games, rather than diluting every message through some PR firm. And if he wants to do a little ribbing in the process, who cares?

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Kintaro said:
It means that Mythos kicks ass?

I haven't played since the complete overworld change, but when it was a complete Diablo clone, the game was fucking incredible, yeah.

fatty

Daikatana.jpg

I'm not a fan of the generic space marine character designs or the girl who looks like she was designed by some adolescent teenager, but I've always reserved judgment on the actual game until it was out.

That being said, Denis has always rubbed me the wrong way with his childishness, and statements like "I got into a flame war with someone like Chern and I ended up embarrassing him in front of the entire community". The way he conducted himself on the EGM podcast. And now this thread?? Come on, man. Show a little humility until the game is actually out.

Zilch

Banned
Speevy said:
Yeah, plenty.

Alright, that's good. I've only skimmed other Too Human threads but it seems like the game is almost universally shat upon here... I figured there'd be a ton of resounding "against!"s on the first page.

:lol

Denis, I'll give you credit. You have guts my man!

All things considered, this is what I like to see from a developer. I really like to see when devs have such unyielding confidence in the game they are working on. It gives me confidence as well. With some devs, it usually never amounts to much other than just talk, but I felt from the very beginning that with Too Human, it has never been just talk.

Sure the game, in the public eye, might've come across as being in development hell, but I never lost faith in the fact that you guys were determined to put out a fantastic game and wouldn't settle for much else.

You can definitely place me in the "For" camp because, if nothing else, I surely don't intend on getting "Owned by Too Human". I much rather prefer to put myself out on a very sturdy limb and say that all the faith I have placed in this game will be fully vindicated come August.

Stand and be Counted indeed. I am CowboyAstronaut, honorary ChickenLittle of PoliGAF and I endorse this message. However, should I end up being wrong, you might see me take a on a very strange likeness to my avatar, but I doubt that will happen. :D

Oh and in case it wasn't big enough FOR FOR FOR FOR FOR

EviLore said:
-Co-op skills for "helping your whole group," when this sort of emphasis is puzzling with a maximum of two players. Healer classes also tend to make little sense in this context. The game seems to be retaining gameplay elements suited for 4 player co-op after dropping the feature.
This is my main concern with the game, you have party based combat in a situation where there's no party. It boggles me that someone would opt to play a healer where your job would essentially be to follow someone around and heal this one guy over and over.

Doodis

Zilch said:

Speevy said:
Yeah, plenty.

But nowhere near as many as "For."

:D

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
FOR

Even the game having only 2-player co-op couldn't soften my game boner!

This thread may have been risky, but thats whats great about GAF. If there wasn't people like Dyack, Jaffe, etc., what would the trolls do....

ilbambino

I think a good way to measure the success of the games would be to compare too human's metacritic score with his company's highest rated game. i don't know if that's saying much considering SK hasn't released a good quantity of games, but would be the only way to make a fair comparison.

That said, AGAINST :D

Edit: According to this logic, TH should have a > 9.2 Score (ED Metacritic's score) .

FIREBABY

krzyspc said:
His bold claim was " I certainly feel it is the best game we have ever made. " Which is funny as SK has only made 5 games in 16 years. Last game was 6 years ago and before that 4. Not exactly something that is hard to top.
When did they un-ban you? :lol Who gives a fuck how many games they made in the past few years? As I stated most of the ones they have made I've enjoyed.

Walshicus

Jack Random said:
This is my main concern with the game, you have party based combat in a situation where there's no party. It boggles me that someone would opt to play a healer where your job would essentially be to follow someone around and heal this one guy over and over.
I could have sworn I saw some gameplay stuff on youtube that had more than four players in the frame - I'd just assumed you'd have a decent party still but only two humans.

I'm rooting for SK and Too Human, but I've bailed on the 360, so unless TH will be coming to PS3 I won't be playing it. I was really looking forward to this game, but I got tired of being punished by Microsoft.

However...

Micromegas = FOR

Good Luck.

Nolan.

Busty said:
I love how this thread is divided into five distinct camps.

1) People who are looking forward to the game.

2) People who are no longer looking forward to the game.

3) People who were never looking forward to this game.

4) People who are desperately trying to defend Dyack in the misguided hope he'll PM them and ask them to be interns at his studio over the summer.

5) People who think that Dyack is madder than a bag of cats....but rich enough to get away with it.

It's simpler than that"

80% ''I love Dyack sign my bewbs''

20% other.

GhaleonEB

EviLore said:
-Co-op skills for "helping your whole group," when this sort of emphasis is puzzling with a maximum of two players. Healer classes also tend to make little sense in this context. The game seems to be retaining gameplay elements suited for 4 player co-op after dropping the feature.

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/35401.html
This is a good point. I had the same reaction watching the video when it came out, and it flies in the face of claims that the co-op was simply "too hectic" and the cut is somehow beneficial. The class and ability design seem crafted with four players in mind, and dropping it to two doesn't just decrease the party, it impacts the way parties can be balanced. Some branches on those skill trees just don't make sense with only two players.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
I'm not on either side, I don't think it really sounds like my type of game from the little I've read on it, and haven't paid much attention to press or reviews about it... so I'm of no opinion. If it gets some good reviews and positive word of mouth, I'll definitely be looking into it, though.

[Nintex]

Zilch said:

I posted against, simply because this game is a trainwreck. For the record I have nothing against SK, Twin Snakes was a good game and Eternal Darkness wasn't bad but damn he's trying to create some "fake" hype for this game. If I imagine the things they could've done with $70 million and 8-10 years of work I'd say that Too Human is simply not worth the time and resources. Not to mention this is the same Dyack with the: "Approved by Dyack" signatures on every piece of art that SK created for this game. The epic lawsuit, posts like this it simply screams "attention whore". I've never seen the lead-designer of Sonic 2006 on GAF to defend his game. I think he should be more concerned about the funding for his next project, the marketing and the sales for this game than the opinion of forum members.

The quality of the game should shut up the haters, a recent example is Sonic Unleashed. Just like Retro Studios delivered with Metroid Prime and SGC Game World with S.T.A.L.K.E.R. There have been plenty of teams and games with the odds against them, and most of them delivered but none of them said that their game would be "better than most games released".

C4Lukins

krzyspc said:

You are either being intentionally dense or you lack some basic reasoning skills. The number of games they have released is not important in that equation. What matters is how highly rated the best of those games was. Eternal Darkness is a 92 on metacritic, so if the game is more widely acclaimed then that, this would be pretty damn good. I bet you could have figured that out on your own, at least I hope so.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Wait... this is an action RPG? I've always pegged it for a beat-em-up... I'll have to look more into this now, I'm hoping this will be good, it's been a while since there was a good action RPG. Hope it has some actual level design and it's not just grinding for loot. Still gonna wait for the reviews, or a demo, before I make a commitment to buy.

C4Lukins

GhaleonEB said:
This is a good point. I had the same reaction watching the video when it came out, and it flies in the face of claims that the co-op was simply "too hectic" and the cut is somehow beneficial. The class and ability design seem crafted with four players in mind, and dropping it to two doesn't just decrease the party, it impacts the way parties can be balanced. Some branches on those skill trees just don't make sense with only two players.

That was definitely my main problem with the reduction from 4 to 2. A lot of the fun and depth from these sort of games is derived from different classes and how their support abilities benefit the group and alter the dynamics of the game.

LCfiner

I'm amazed this thread exists. Just ridiculous. Is Dennis making a tally on a legal notepad with all our names? And then drawing frowny penis-heads on the people who are against it?

Anyway, I suppose, based on the art and the bits of gameplay that I've seen, I'll put myself down as Against. If the game turns out great then, cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom