• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Too Human – Stand and be counted

Status
Not open for further replies.

purg3

slept with Malkin
For.

After all of the bullshit that has gone on with this game, I still think it will be fun. Day 1 for me.

krzyspc

Banned
C4Lukins said:
You are either being intentionally dense or you lack some basic reasoning skills is completely lacking. The number of games they have released is not important in that equation. What matters is how highly rated the best of those games was. Eternal Darkness is a 92 on metacritic, so if the game is more widely acclaimed then that, this would be pretty damn good. I bet you could have figured that out on your own, at least I hope so.

My point is if you spend that much time, money and resources on a single game, it doesn't seem to hard to top your previous games. Also he said it was the best game he felt he has made, which has nothing to do with what his highest rated game is as he could have feel he made another game better.

I bet you could have figured that out on your own, at least I hope so.

Spoo

Wow.

Above 70%, below 80% would be my guess. It'll be "ambitious but flawed." I want to like it when it shows up, but... Jesus. I guess I'm hesitantly "For."

Anyway, Denis, I think you're cool -- but don't get so wrapped up in the community with threads like these :) Seriously, look at 3DRealms. They talked shit so long they finally learned to STFU and not care what people think; just make games in secret until they're ready to release.

Do this in the future!

TDG

Banned
Busty said:
I love how this thread is divided into five distinct camps.

1) People who are looking forward to the game.

2) People who are no longer looking forward to the game.

3) People who were never looking forward to this game.

4) People who are desperately trying to defend Dyack in the misguided hope he'll PM them and ask them to be interns at his studio over the summer.

5) People who think that Dyack is madder than a bag of cats....but rich enough to get away with it.
You forgot the people who are taking this waaaaay too seriously.

Nolan.

LCfiner said:
I'm amazed this thread exists. Just ridiculous. Is Dennis making a tally on a legal notepad with all our names? And then drawing frowny penis-heads on the people who are against it?

Anyway, I suppose, based on the art and the bits of gameplay that I've seen, I'll put myself down as Against. If the game turns out great then, cool.

Denis makes me feel like he has posters of Gears and cliffy with stuff splattered across it.

WrikaWrek

Banned
MattKeil said:
This is a little unfair, because I've played it, but...

FOR :D

BOING

x6akh2.jpg

Willy Wanka

my god this avatar owns
More developers should tell GAF's trolls to go fuck themselves. It makes for great entertainment :lol

Anyway, I'll buy the game if it's good.

Hero

Wow, coming into our forum just to stir shit in the pot is certainly a ballsy move. I certainly wonder what your PR department thinks of your attitude. But I guess that's what this is all about, isn't it? You're just trying to call us out and make us rush out and buy your game so we can have a qualified opinion which is of course reasonable. Is your game in that bad of shape that you need to do a little sales pitch at GAF?

Are you that scared of Silicon Knights' future if this game flops? Nintendo dumped you and Microsoft took a shot with you, after this all you have is Sony to rely on.

How about the criteria needs to be that Too Human needs to score higher than Eternal Darkness on BOTH Metacritic and Gamerankings (since you said it's the best game you ever made) as well as be in the top 10 reviewed games of the 2008 (since you said it's probably going to be better than any other game this year) and must not have any huge backlash on most of the big forums (IGN, Gamespot, Gamefaqs, etc. since you said most people will love the game).

You think your one tag is equivalent to getting a bunch of people a tag? Why don't you "put up or shut up?" If you lose the bet why not have a splash image of the NeoGAF logo on the Silicon Knights' homepage with the subtitle "owned" and linked to this very thread?

Mrbob

:lol

Is this a joke thread?

Up the stakes, Denis. Allow some sort of tag to be broadcasted under the NEOGAF believe logo for at least a year if Too Human ends up being a piece of shit.

I can't believe you actually made this thread. This is something some sort of thread a crazed fanboy makes.

Stantron

GhaleonEB said:
This is a good point. I had the same reaction watching the video when it came out, and it flies in the face of claims that the co-op was simply "too hectic" and the cut is somehow beneficial. The class and ability design seem crafted with four players in mind, and dropping it to two doesn't just decrease the party, it impacts the way parties can be balanced. Some branches on those skill trees just don't make sense with only two players.
this. This. THIS. Make a 4P co-op patch Dyack, and all will be forgiven.

eznark

Banned
Hero said:
Wow, coming into our forum just to stir shit in the pot is certainly a ballsy move. I certainly wonder what your PR department thinks of your attitude. But I guess that's what this is all about, isn't it? You're just trying to call us out and make us rush out and buy your game so we can have a qualified opinion which is of course reasonable. Is your game in that bad of shape that you need to do a little sales pitch at GAF?

Are you that scared of Silicon Knights' future if this game flops? Nintendo dumped you and Microsoft took a shot with you, after this all you have is Sony to rely on.

How about the criteria needs to be that Too Human needs to score higher than Eternal Darkness on BOTH Metacritic and Gamerankings (since you said it's the best game you ever made) as well as be in the top 10 reviewed games of the 2008 (since you said it's probably going to be better than any other game this year) and must not have any huge backlash on most of the big forums (IGN, Gamespot, Gamefaqs, etc. since you said most people will love the game).

You think your one tag is equivalent to getting a bunch of people a tag? Why don't you "put up or shut up?" If you lose the bet why not have a splash image of the NeoGAF logo on the Silicon Knights' homepage with the subtitle "owned" and linked to this very thread?

Jeff Bell has a response

master15

Hero said:
How about the criteria needs to be that Too Human needs to score higher than Eternal Darkness on BOTH Metacritic and Gamerankings (since you said it's the best game you ever made)

For some reason I think that makes far too much sense for Denis to commit to :(

Pacman2k

Denis, as a fellow developer I wish you the best of luck. With this thread, this community, and with the game.

I will be buying Too Human when it is released, regardless of what is said.

I guess that makes me "For" - but I would rather not be classified.

Hero said:
That's a lavish idea but not especially worthwhile to anyone involved.

How about this...

Dyack puts up the dough to get some NeoGAF gamer pictures up on the XBOX Live Marketplace... 'cause we're too cheap to do it ourselves.

If Too Human bombs critically and at retail...

Everyone who votes AGAINST in this thread gets a token to nab 'em for free.
The rest of us have to pony up the MS Points.

If Too Human thrives critically and at retail...

Everyone who votes FOR in this thread gets a token to nab 'em for free. And all the purchase proceeds (for people who pay) go directly to the SK coffers.

I guess I say this in every Too Human thread, but seriously, what the fuck?

Denis, put me down as a FOR vote, but this is wrong. If you continue your relationship with Microsoft Game Studio in the future, let them handle the marketing side, while you guys work on the game. This is going to do nothing but spur more negativity, and people racing to post the first negative impressions of the demo/game.

We've had thousand-post threads about missing pixels, DRM, minor screen-tearing, online lag, install times, or framerate drops on all of the most hyped games on this forum - you're opening TH up to that same scrutiny.

TONX

Distinguished Air Superiority
Someone should just make a poll for this thread.

Against, btw. Good luck on your lawsuit.

Zilch

Banned
Hero said:

So.... "against"?

barnacles

Banned
I'm in the "I have no idea if your game will be any good. On the one hand I liked Eternal darkness. On the other hand various footage shown and your response to criticism on a 1up podcast have both served to shake my confidence considerably. " camp.

Why are some people questioning whether he has the right to make a thread asking who is for and who is against his game? If I'm the developer of a game that has gotten so much attention on this site and so many others, mostly negative, I would probably like a thread to end all threads to see what people are thinking about my product at the end of a long, sometimes painful process as well.

I don't see what's wrong with Denis feeling that Too Human will be one of the best games that come out this entire year. Nothing wrong with that at all. When someone like Itagaki says things like other developers are going to lose their motivation or that they should probably give up before they get embarrassed or something like that, I don't see the same treatment for him. Or maybe what most like to get off on is the fact that Denis actually posts here so he's more akin to fresh meat that everybody can pile on at a moments notice since there is a large possibility he will read your disrespectful comment.

If Kojima and any other developer goes and says something extremely bold about the quality of the game they are currently making, people go insane with their praises and adoration. Now I may be in small company, but I think Denis deserves a lot more respect than he usually gets around here. Criticisms where they make sense are valid, but most of the criticism he has gotten is fueled by the infatuation to troll anything related to Denis Dyack with reckless abandon and not for any other reason. Insults will touch on anything from his weight to how little he knows about game development, despite him being far more knowledgeable on the subject than they are.

With all the negativity around not just Dyack, but his game as well, it's really refreshing to see that the man hasn't allowed any of it to deter him.

Edit :: Hero just pulled a "How dare you come on our forum" on him. He takes a lot of pride in his trolling. :lol

Hero

Doodis said:
I ownz the internetz.

Denis has repeatedly stated his opinion on his judgment call on the entirety the NeoGAF community, a simple look at his post history will tell you that. It would've been one thing if he did this on Too Human's forum or his own personal blog or an interview but coming to the forum and specifically naming moderators to "put up or shut up" is pretty crazy. I'm actually glad he did it because it's going to make it that much more enjoyable come August either way.

CowboyAstronaut said:
Why are some people questioning whether he has the right to make a thread asking who is for and who is against his game? If I'm the developer of a game that has gotten so much attention on this site and so many others, mostly negative, I would probably like a thread to end all threads to see what people are thinking about my product at the end of a long, sometimes painful process as well.

I don't see what's wrong with Denis feeling that Too Human will be one of the best games that come out this entire year. Nothing wrong with that at all. When someone like Itagaki says things like other developers are going to lose their motivation or that they should probably give up before they get embarrassed or something like that, I don't see the same treatment for him. Or maybe what most like to get off on is the fact that Denis actually posts here so he's more akin to fresh meat that everybody can pile on at a moments notice since there is a large possibility he will read your disrespectful comment.

If Kojima and any other developer goes and says something extremely bold about the quality of the game they are currently making, people go insane with their praises and adoration. Now I may be in small company, but I think Denis deserves a lot more respect than he usually gets around here. Criticisms where they make sense are valid, but most of the criticism he has gotten is fueled by the infatuation to troll anything related to Denis Dyack with reckless abandon and not for any other reason. Insults will touch on anything from his weight to how little he knows about game development, despite him being far more knowledgeable on the subject than they are.

With all the negativity around not just Dyack, but his game as well, it's really refreshing to see that the man hasn't allowed any of it to deter him.
Pretty much totally agree.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Why not if it bombs, add in a DLC Achievement called "I got owned by NeoGAF" or "The internet is greater than I"

FirewalkR

Hey Denis, as I've said many times before, Too Human is mine day 1. I hope it's got a good story, I'm interested mainly for the single player. Also, I liked the viral/goblin man thing you guys are doing. I assume the creative minds behind the viral are also behind the game story and that, coupled with the fact that Eternal Darkness was great, makes me confident about the quality of the game.

I don't really get all the hate for Too Human around these parts, and I'm not sure the fact you yourself created this thread will contribute positively regarding that but... I only want to play the game. :)

EDIT: Forgot to explicitly state: FOR!

Raven1907

Hero said:

This.

Except Too Human 2 must be subtitled "owned by the GAF" if Dyack loses.

God I was so so so looking forward to this game, i bought a god damn gamcube for it years ago.

Now Denis's is pulling dumb shit like this.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Gonna buy Too Human day one... it looks good and would be some nice co-op fun (2 player, whatever) with my sister and online friends. Besides... the story seems cool =P

Desi

CowboyAstronaut said:
People flame the shit out of him all the damn time over what he says.

Even Miyamoto got flack the other day because of a statement about not wanting Nintendo games looking like Sega games.

Twig

Banned
CowboyAstronaut said:
So that's why he made this thread, then, huh?

Busty

Banned
CowboyAstronaut said:

In a way I agree with you. Dyack is confronting the Too Human 'infamy' that's going on around not just this forum but seemingly the web as a whole.

However, there is a way and means to doing this sort of thing....and frankly Dyack couldn't have gone about this any worse than if he'd posted a pic of Goatse in the OP.

Dyack makes a thread that asks for people to be 'for' or 'against' the game and frankly, in the larger scale of things, himself. Yet he offers no terms or stipulations for such a wager.

Then when Duckroll responds to the direct criticism of him in OP with a well worded and reasoned reply all Dyack does in return is offer up a 'Put up or shut up' retort. Again with no terms for this supposed wager.

Dyack has done himself no favours. All he has done is prolong the game's (and his own) infamy for longer. So much so this is going to overshadow all the upcoming press this game is going to receive.

If Dyack wanted the game to speak for itself he should have let it do exactly that.

To finish, I wonder what voice Shawn Elliot will use when he reads ou Dyack's OP on GFW Radio next week.

krzyspc

Banned
TheOneGuy said:
So that's why he made this thread, then, huh?

Oh snap! And it is funny how it isn't even going the way it was outlined as a lot are saying for just because he made the thread and nothing to do with the game.

Too Human Needs moar press, no one knows of it, I told a couple of friends at work and now they are all hyped, wondering why they havn't heard of it before

Dennais your doing it wrong

Gimmie a copy of the game and I will spread the word out well.

you guys need to bother Microsoft till they make you guys a commercial like Gears of War Halo 3 or Lost Odyssey

and hopefully not get one like Ninja Gaiden 2....

Chinner

Banned
I dunno. I mean, come on guys. Who the hell would actually intentionally hope for a game to be bad? I'm still not sure how this game will turn out, and do have my suspisions when it comes to its quality but I'm hoping it'll be good.

Also, this thread will be epic.

Hero

Zilch said:
So.... "against"?

The truth is I've been on the fence since this game was announced back in the N64 days. Eternal Darkness is one my favorite games. And while the media has been wish-washy with how Too Human is turning out, I'll still at least play it. Come August I'll either get to play another great game that's been long overdue or I'll get to play a trainwreck and enjoy the backlash Denis will get for it. Either way I win. My issue right now is with Denis' pompous arrogance since anytime anyone has any criticsm on him or his games, no matter how slight, he tries to retaliate with full force. When it comes down to it, it's generally not a good idea to talk down to people who you want to buy your game.

CowboyAstronaut said:

Edit :: Hero just pulled a "How dare you come on our forum" on him. He takes a lot of pride in his trolling. :lol

How many other developers have been as vocally negative outspoken about the entire gaming community, from the media to hardcore gamers that would help push this game to other people?

There's a difference between being proud and confident in the product you made and being hubrous and condescending towards the very market you're in.

Doc Evils

Busty said:
In a way I agree with you. Dyack is confronting the Too Human 'infamy' that's going on around not just this forum but seemingly the web as a whole.

However, there is a way and means to doing this sort of thing....and frankly Dyack couldn't have gone about this any worse than if he'd posted a pic of Goatse in the OP.

Dyack makes a thread that asks for people to be 'for' or 'against' the game and frankly, in the larger scale of things, himself. Yet he offers no terms or stipulations for such a wager.

Then when Duckroll responds to the direct criticism of him in OP with a well worded and reasoned reply all Dyack does in return is offer up a 'Put up or shut up' retort. Again with no terms for this supposed wager.

Dyack has done himself no favours. All he has done is prolong the game's (and his own) infamy for longer. So much so this is going to overshadow all the upcoming press this game is going to receive.

If Dyack wanted the game to speak for itself he should have let it do exactly that.

To finish, I wonder what voice Shawn Elliot will use when he reads ou Dyack's OP on GFW Radio next week.

qft.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom