• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Too Timid to Tell the Boss You’re Quitting? There’s a Service for That

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member

gxBa3jD.jpeg

"
TOKYO—Yuta Sakamoto was exhausted from selling home-improvement projects, including the boss’s demand that he help clean up at renovation sites on weekends. One day, he mustered his courage and announced he wanted to quit. But his boss warned him he would be ruining his future, and Sakamoto shrank back.

Then a friend proposed a solution. Sakamoto didn’t have to confront the boss again—he could hire someone to do it for him. After sending $200 and his case details to a quitting agency, he was finally a free man.

“I would have been mentally broken if I had continued,” says Sakamoto, 24, who found a new job as a salesman at a printing firm.
A labor shortage in Japan means underpaid or overworked employees have other options nowadays. The problem: this famously polite country has a lot of people who hate confrontation. Some worry they’ll cause a disruption by leaving, or they dread the idea of co-workers gossiping about what just transpired in the boss’s office.

Enter a company called Exit. Toshiyuki Niino co-founded it to help people quit after experiencing his own difficulties leaving jobs. “Americans may be surprised, but I was too shy or too scared to say what I think,” says Niino, 34. “Japanese are not educated to debate and express opinions.”

Exit now handles more than 10,000 cases a year in which its staff quits on behalf of clients. Many competitors have emerged, bearing names such as Mo Muri—“I can’t do it anymore”—or Yametara Eenen, which asks, “why don’t you quit?” in the dialect of Osaka, where people are known for being more self-assertive than in Tokyo.

Trying to outpace the competition, Exit offers 50% off for repeat customers—“as many times as you like.” Mo Muri recently started advertising on subways and promises customers help landing a new job.

Others focus on niches. One law firm offers to help military officers quit for about $400. That is pricier than other services, but the firm suggests having a lawyer handle the matter will foster peace of mind.

With 2.7% unemployment and a fast-aging population, Japan faces a labor squeeze. Teikoku Databank, a Tokyo research firm, says staff shortage is the most common reason cited for business troubles, and a record 313 companies went bankrupt in the fiscal year ending in March because of it.

Wages are rising and finally began to outpace inflation this summer, but many companies can’t or won’t pay enough to retain workers. A generation gap leads some older managers to expect workers to display absolute loyalty to the company.

Koichi Oda, 39, spent eight years as a forklift driver in a western Japan warehouse. He says he resented his boss’s coercive manner, the low pay and lack of air conditioning. Some temp workers suffered heat stroke in the summer and had to be taken away by ambulance, he recalls. Oda expressed his contempt by having an agency quit for him.

“This was my way of conveying a message: ‘You colleagues aren’t worth saying goodbye to,’” he says.

As success stories of quitting via agencies proliferate, Japanese who can’t afford such services are getting creative.

One X user posted, “I had no money to spend on a resignation agency, so I pretended to be an agent and called in my resignation.”

Labor-starved managers, meanwhile, are contacting quitting agencies wondering if they have any recent quitters to recommend. Kaoru Yoshida, a Tokyo staffing-agency manager, says such outreach has yielded several leads for her company.

Yoshida says she was willing to work with quitting agencies to find workers—even though her own company has received about 10 calls from a quitting service.

Shinji Tanimoto is chief executive of Albatross, which runs the “I can’t do it anymore” service. He says company managers seek his advice on worker retention.

It isn’t complicated, he explains: Overbearing bosses, unpaid overtime and a refusal to let people use their vacation time drive employees out the door. “We know the reasons.”

Ayumi Sekine, 24, recently joined Albatross, where she calls companies to quit on clients’ behalf.

Her routine is fairly straightforward. Sekine phones employers, informs them she is with the “I can’t do it anymore” service, and declares that her client will be leaving. She specifies the departure date and potential use of remaining paid holidays for notice periods.

(Japanese employees, like Americans, typically give notice before quitting. Clients who turn to quitting agencies have often tried this path and faced resistance.)

Sekine also instructs employers not to contact the worker further and nails down departure details, such as how to return a laptop or uniform. Most employers accept the resignation, but about 10% require negotiation with a lawyer brought in at additional expense, according to Tanimoto, Albatross’s chief executive.

Sekine gravitated to this profession after four years at a gas company where she received few pay raises—even though she considered herself among the best performers.

Her resignation was accepted, she says, only after she cried and begged her boss following three weeks of meetings where managers tried to stop her. “I really realized then how stressful resignation was.”

Sekine says she enjoys the collaborative atmosphere at her current job. And should the job get overwhelming, there is an additional perk, as pointed out by Tanimoto, her boss.

“If someone here wants to quit,” he says, “I won’t stop them.”
"

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
I remember a movie with George Clooney that the company has people exclusively to fire people because the bosses "got afraid", now employees don't have just a little gut to quit

I wonder if we are having more money to spend on way too simple things or Demolition Man is closer and closer to real life

Doom85

Japanese work culture truly has some unhealthy elements to it regardless of the results.

I remember people online were being unsympathetic to Konami developers (even the guy who developed depression after he was moved off game development and transferred to working in a pachinko warehouse) for how they were being treated by the higher-ups, saying, “well, they can just quit if they’re so unhappy”. In a country that pushes the group over the individual in their work culture, quitting is highly frowned upon and can easily affect your resume in a negative way when applying to plenty of places in the future. That alone can make trying to quit your job very stressful for Japanese employees. So no, saying “they can just quit” is oversimplifying the situation.

Zathalus

Recently watched a video about this. Foreign worker in Japan and it was quite a culture shock to them how frowned upon it was to resign. When she tendered her resignation she had to meet with three of her direct superiors as to why she is quitting, what company, how much pay, etc… Also tried the classic guilt trip of how much pressure this would put on her colleagues. Finally she was asked to draft an apology letter for the resignation as well.

Quite mad.

GymWolf

Gold Member
This remind me of the dude who just offer his presence to loney people...

Japan really has the strangest people...

Most people can't fucking wait to tell fuck off to a shitty boss.

Last edited:

Doom85

Recently watched a video about this. Foreign worker in Japan and it was quite a culture shock to them how frowned upon it was to resign. When she tendered her resignation she had to meet with three of her direct superiors as to why she is quitting, what company, how much pay, etc… Also tried the classic guilt trip of how much pressure this would put on her colleagues. Finally she was asked to draft an apology letter for the resignation as well.

Quite mad.

Chris Broad, who runs the YouTube channel Abroad in Japan, once talked on the podcast Trash Taste about how back when he was an English teacher in Japan, he once got time off but then found out the person he intended to fly out to visit had to change plans and so he wouldn’t be able to meet them. When Chris told his boss he no longer needed to have the time off and could work those days, the boss proceeded to shame Chris and criticize him, going on about how they put in so much work to allow Chris to have those days off. What a baffling response, like heaven forbid someone’s personal plans change and they OFFER to show up to work when they don’t have to.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
lol of course this is Japan

KrakenIPA

Here in America it's easy to walk off the job site, the at will workplace is dutchdoor action. That being said, usually it pays to show up, suit up, and shut up. I would rather someone put in a week's notice than walk away, I suppose.

Robot Carnival

Gold Member
I remember a movie with George Clooney that the company has people exclusively to fire people because the bosses "got afraid", now employees don't have just a little gut to quit

I wonder if we are having more money to spend on way too simple things or Demolition Man is closer and closer to real life

I think the Clooney film you're talking about is Up In The Air. both that and Demolition Man are great social commentary movie in very different genres.

side note, Vera Famiga looks absolutely stunning in that movie.

Chris Broad, who runs the YouTube channel Abroad in Japan, once talked on the podcast Trash Taste about how back when he was an English teacher in Japan, he once got time off but then found out the person he intended to fly out to visit had to change plans and so he wouldn’t be able to meet them. When Chris told his boss he no longer needed to have the time off and could work those days, the boss proceeded to shame Chris and criticize him, going on about how they put in so much work to allow Chris to have those days off. What a baffling response, like heaven forbid someone’s personal plans change and they OFFER to show up to work when they don’t have to.

I would agree that it's stupid for a boss to get upset over you wanting to go back to work, but you really have to look at it from a different perspective. the companies there often operates on very thin margins and when you set a schedule to do something, it's often set in stone because, take Chris's situation for example, when he scheduled his time off, his boss might had to pull some favors in order to get additional people to cover his work. or maybe they had to apologize to a client to extend a project. in any case, they had to put out additional effort to make that time off happen. the "chain reaction", for lack of a better word, behind everything over there is often not thought about, but it is a huge factor. not to mention the whole reputation/giving face aspect of things.

the work culture in Japan is definitely flawed, but I don't think it's as easy as just implementing western work habits. it is connected at a fundamental level, at the heart of the whole living culture there. changing it would also mean losing what makes Japanese products and services so unique. and there really is no good and easy solution over that.

Last edited:

notseqi

I thought this was gonna be the Mexican Band blasting some legendary tunes for the guy quitting. But its Japan, so its gotta be low key despite the circumstances. Good on them for fucking with the system, hope its big enough to force changes.

I_D

I don't know how much the rest of you know about Japanese culture (I'm definitely not an expert), but I've heard that honor and shame are huge parts of it. Apparently, it's not like it is in America where you can become successful by being an asshole. From what I've heard, if you screw someone over in Japan, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that is repentance.

If that is true, I can see why people would be afraid to confront their bosses.

But, from my perspective, if you're the type of person who has to hire somebody else to quit your job for you, you're precisely the type of drone-worker that the boss was looking for in the first place; and you should just stay where you are.

notseqi

But, from my perspective, if you're the type of person who has to hire somebody else to quit your job for you, you're precisely the type of drone-worker that the boss was looking for in the first place; and you should just stay where you are.
I think that's a bit harsh since it's a cultural thing to not lose face and pander to your superiors, keeping to societal norms keeps the peace. But if that peace is only in your bosses favour, what to do?
Nobody needs emancipation, revolution or reformation, right?
Can't be an individual, especially if you're willing to admit that you're done with this job to yourself, but not to others, right?

near

Gold Member
“Labor-starved managers, meanwhile, are contacting quitting agencies wondering if they have any recent quitters to recommend. Kaoru Yoshida, a Tokyo staffing-agency manager, says such outreach has yielded several leads for her company.“

Using the resignation agency as a makeshift recruitment agency, smart.

Toots

Gold Member
There's only one service that works if you're too timid to do anything really, it's called seeing a shrink.

Damn, I’m gonna move to Japan and quit people’s jobs for them and live like a king.
I’ll do seminars that teach classic US techniques such as: No Call, No Show and the always popular “Go fuck yourself.”

spons

Gold Member
Jesus. Can't believe there are people around who are so socially inept they can't even tell someone they're getting the fuck out.

Go_Ly_Dow

Quitting stategically is the best way.

Find out your notice period, then pick a month to quit and book as much holiday as you can towards the end of the month before handing your notice in. Then hand it in after the holiday is approved and sail off into the sunset once you work your final week or two. This tactic has always worked well for me.

I also kept a digital copy of my last letter of resignation because I hated that job and looking at it makes me happy muahahahaha

Puscifer

Japanese work culture truly has some unhealthy elements to it regardless of the results.

I remember people online were being unsympathetic to Konami developers (even the guy who developed depression after he was moved off game development and transferred to working in a pachinko warehouse) for how they were being treated by the higher-ups, saying, “well, they can just quit if they’re so unhappy”. In a country that pushes the group over the individual in their work culture, quitting is highly frowned upon and can easily affect your resume in a negative way when applying to plenty of places in the future. That alone can make trying to quit your job very stressful for Japanese employees. So no, saying “they can just quit” is oversimplifying the situation.
Yeah, believe me the stories I've heard from my friend I met in Japan that she refuses to work for Japanese companies after getting a taste of Western work culture blows my mind. Luckily she's a researcher in tech so working for their Japanese branches has given her career freedom she's never thought possible. The biggest complaint she has is that Americans ask for favors when it's really task assignment

Last edited:
I once quit a job at mcdonalds by hopping out a drive through window and taking off

I was cooking for an Olive Garden decades ago, we had just polished off the dinner rush and it was time to breakdown and clean.
I went out to the back dock to have a smoke, got a big old case of “fuck this” and jumped the concrete wall and left. Stopped by the gas station, grabbed a 12 pack and a frozen pizza and went home.

Superkewl

Any time I have quit, I have always done so respectively and always give notice as I don't believe in burning bridges, but has always been the most satisfying feeling. Dunno why people would have trouble quitting. It's like politely gloating you found something better.

Top Bottom