• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Apr16| Here today, Gon for three years

Status
Not open for further replies.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
I've had no problems for a while now. We should be good for tonight.

On a side note, I might stick around for One Piece and Ninja's faffing about for 30 minutes tonight since I'm done my studies. Are this week's episodes any good (or less shitty in Naruto's case)?

It's a fairly solid episode for One Piece. It's a major setup episode for the arc, not quite as manic as the last few episodes have been, for the most part.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
This OP arc is one of my favorites. Some people say the final fight drags on a bit too long, almost zombie-ish, but that's one of its many charms.

I'm actually a little tired of the Nami/Chopper/Usopp sequences because I feel like they should have moved beyond being surprised that scary shit is going on at this point

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I'm actually a little tired of the Nami/Chopper/Usopp sequences because I feel like they should have moved beyond being surprised that scary shit is going on at this point

But they are literally team weak/coward. This is the joke. I think last episode was the last one they are together for for awhile. Maybe this one.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Not gonna lie, it was funny at first, but after last week, even if it was still kind of humorous, I almost wanted to just count how many times they screamed.

Especially now that we can see the other group's reactions to the island, which is probably much more funny.

But they are literally team weak/coward. This is the joke. I think last episode was the last one they are together for for awhile. Maybe this one.

It's not nearly funny enough to be stretched out this long, though. Like, it was funny at first, but when Usopp is like "OH GOD THAT CARPET IS A MONSTER" or "CINDRY IS DEAAAAAAAAD" after he's run from zombies and that cerberus thing and a bunch of other stuff, it just gets tiresome. It's the same reaction.

(i am aware i say this with a Courage the Cowardly Dog avatar)

Seda

WEEKLY FAULCONER REMINDER: For the ultimate Kai experience, click here: mega.co.nz/#F!9d4jkYzR!CPlPL10_HQw3y6mAWBVxnQ

Under Part 6 Beta, there's a folder labeled F which has all the Faulconer mixes for those episodes (episodes 66 - 77). Choose "Kai67F.ac3". If you have VLC player, it should play upon clicking. Mute television and live sync at 12:00am tonight.

Preview:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efjKK0-_98o

Okay please don't do this.

Okay please don't do this.

Do what? Nostalgia overdrive?

It's not full episodes (I'd never do that), just audio. A mix some guy did in his room using Kai's established 5.1 mixes and replacing them with currently unlicensed audio (Funi doesn't own Faulconer's stuff anymore I think) ain't illegal.

[Deleted post just in case, but I don't think it's wrong.]

Soulflarz

Banned
Bravely Second has some weird and stupid sidequests
It's like wow look at this characterization that kills the old ones now lets have them do stupid and illogical things anyways to throw them in the mud and have you saddened.

So am I the only one starting to remember Michiko and Hatchin more fondly now? It definitely wasn't perfect, but in hindsight I'm really starting to appreciate how unique it felt. I recommended it in some thread in OT without thinking and now I'm like "wait I used to be pretty down on parts of that show."

Soulflarz

Banned
So am I the only one starting to remember Michiko and Hatchin more fondly now? It definitely wasn't perfect, but in hindsight I'm really starting to appreciate how unique it felt. I recommended it in some thread in OT without thinking and now I'm like "wait I used to be pretty down on parts of that show."

No
I can't say it was that good for what we saw.

Nice animation doesn't make me suddenly enjoy a work I didn't like sadly.
Also: pacing and overall plot is a lot different in hindsight vs in reality, always a thing to note :3

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I feel like I should've liked M&H, but it just didn't click with me.

I'd still say it had its moments & overall, I think I enjoyed it more than other shows like Dimension W which, aside from Loser, has pretty much done nothing for me.

Michiko and Hatchin was the least entertaining show new toonami has aired. At least stuff like sao and gxp made me laugh at how bad it was.

No
I can't say it was that good for what we saw.

Nice animation doesn't make me suddenly enjoy a work I didn't like sadly.
Also: pacing and overall plot is a lot different in hindsight vs in reality, always a thing to note :3

While that's true, I also think the weekly format can exaggerate pacing issues in a way that wouldn't otherwise be an issue if you're just watching something on your own time.

And I'd agree with Zonic that I think I like it more than Dimension W.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Michiko and Hatchin was the least entertaining show new toonami has aired. At least stuff like sao and gxp made me laugh at how bad it was.
At the moment, I'd probably give that to Dimension W (I'll wait & see these last few episodes, but it wouldn't surprise me if the show ended with a thud). I can at least name some entertaining moments, like Michiko in that car chase against the old dude & that other drugged out guy.

But I totally agree that stuff like SAO & Akame ga Kill are way more memorable because of how bad/insane they were, & to me, being forgettable & mediocre is worse than being interestingly bad because you can learn WHY a show doesn't work from its flaws & lets you appreciate the good stuff even more.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Michiko & Hatchin had gorgeous animation, but a story that was just... okay.
I like flawed characters, they make stories work. But when there's more flaws than endearing traits, then the characters are just hard to watch.

Idk about you guys but I'm watching SAO1 right now and it's easily the most boring show I've seen on the block. Even S2 has it's moments where it's genuine hilarious garbage or actually competent, but S1 has been so unbelievably boring.

I think I'm on episode 21 tonight when i continue watching it during Parasyte, but I'm actually disappointed it's not as garbage as I've been hearing it'd be.

Seda

Idk about you guys but I'm watching SAO1 right now and it's easily the most boring show I've seen on the block. Even S2 has it's moments where it's genuine hilarious garbage or actually competent, but S1 has been so unbelievably boring.

I think I'm on episode 21 tonight when i continue watching it during Parasyte, but I'm actually disappointed it's not as garbage as I've been hearing it'd be.

Sorry if I've repeating myself here, but you're definitely not the only one who found SAO dull at times. I know several shared the sentiment when it was airing. When it's not completely stupid, it's boring.

That said, you haven't seen, er, "peak SAO" yet.

I would put Michiko and Hatchin above Parasyte.

Parasyte mostly just bored me.

I have a weird impression of Parasyte in that I look back kinda negatively on it, but when I stop to think about it, I realize I enjoyed a decent chunk of it. It has those ponderous moments of character development that don't really work that well after the initial 6-8 episodes and really bad female character writing and an inconsistent overall vision, but it's surrounded by some good fights and some interesting concepts and more than a few character interactions that legitimately work.

I'd place it somewhere below Attack on Titan, which I think I gave a 7 to.

Sorry if I've repeating myself here, but you're definitely not the only one who found SAO dull at times. I know several shared the sentiment when it was airing. When it's not completely stupid, it's boring.

All I knew about SAO1 was that the second half was really bad, but I didn't even know Alfheim was a thing going into the watch. So far it just seems like it's as bad as the first half, but I guess I'll see soon enough.

Jarate

Banned
Also, SAO is something you kind of had to be there to get. It was one of the most hyped anime in years, even with Kotaku calling it the smartest anime in years. If you have literally 0 expectations, then you're bound to be dissapointed by how shit it is.

Also, like all things in life, the group watch helped a lot

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
SAO certainly had its boring moments (THAT FREAKIN' CAVE), but it made up for it with stupid or insane moments. Keep watching, though. When you hit THAT episode, you need to read everyone's reactions. What an amazing night that was.

I have a weird impression of Parasyte in that I look back kinda negatively on it, but when I stop to think about it, I realize I enjoyed a decent chunk of it. It has those ponderous moments of character development that don't really work that well after the initial 6-8 episodes and really bad female character writing and an inconsistent overall vision, but it's surrounded by some good fights and some interesting concepts and more than a few character interactions that legitimately work.

I'd place it somewhere below Attack on Titan, which I think I gave a 7 to.
Having watched Parasyte again, it feels like a good example of a 3/5 anime, where the positives are equally balanced out by the negatives.

.........actually, now that I think about it, during the rewatch of AoT, I was honestly just bored outside of the battles and overacting. Could've sworn I actually dropped it during the rewatch because there was nothing making me want to watch it again. Don't think I even bothered with the second half of the first season.

Mizerman

Preaching to the choir, my man.

Grexeno

Awesome, what did it for you?
Nothing. I just waited. Played some video games.

Ratchet and Clank is the definition of fun, BTW. I thought "man I won't play this much for a while because I'll be too busy with Dark Souls 3" but it turns out I just naturally want to play R&C and have to force myself to play Dark Souls 3 a bit instead.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I saw Michiko e Hatchin before it's Toonami run, and I remember it fondly, even if it kinda feels like it went out in more of a whimper than I wanted it to.

I actually feel like a lot of that had to do with the JP voice work. I could feel a lot of emotion from it, that seemed to go beyond the characters more blunt actions.

I didn't get nearly as bad an impression of Michiko as some here. And I didn't take note of their relationship un-developing as the times went by. I felt like they were messed-up people who got to learn each other, which actually felt kinda nice. I guess it felt like a Lupin series to me in that way: the relationships don't really CHANGE a huge amount over a series, but I just enjoy seeing the characters bounce off each other the whole way though.

I do not find SAO boring in the least (hilariously incompetent, yes, but not boring).

Soulflarz

Banned
While that's true, I also think the weekly format can exaggerate pacing issues in a way that wouldn't otherwise be an issue if you're just watching something on your own time.

And I'd agree with Zonic that I think I like it more than Dimension W.

M&H>Dimension W, because I'm not confused as hell.
And yes, see any show you marathon. I didn't even mind half of AoTs pacing issues on my first marathon.

I do not find SAO boring in the least (hilariously incompetent, yes, but not boring).

SAO is extremely boring when it isn't being stupid.
That's about half the time.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
SAO brought us closer together in our hatred of it.

KAYABA WAS THE HERO ALL ALONG!

It baffles me that the series is trying to make the mass murderer look like a hero.
Are we just going to forget that around 4000 people died because he... uhhh... reasons

The worst show on Toonami so far, GXP, is probably like a 3/4 out of a 10.

It's bad, but it's not staring into the abyss bad.

It's not like Pupa or Mars of Destruction.

At the moment, I'd probably give that to Dimension W (I'll wait & see these last few episodes, but it wouldn't surprise me if the show ended with a thud). I can at least name some entertaining moments, like Michiko in that car chase against the old dude & that other drugged out guy.

But I totally agree that stuff like SAO & Akame ga Kill are way more memorable because of how bad/insane they were, & to me, being forgettable & mediocre is worse than being interestingly bad because you can learn WHY a show doesn't work from its flaws & lets you appreciate the good stuff even more.

Moe butt bot makes dimension w infinitely more entertaining then michiko and hatchin.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

When we watched GPX we stared into the abyss and the abyss stared back. That series ended with a kidnapping and multiple-rape, played for laughs. The abyss stared back.

Crocodile

I was always fond of Michiko and Hatchin despite some flaws. Throw me on the defense force.

Add me to the defense force. The setting (and thus the types of characters that followed - and I mean that in every respect), strong production values and music already are worthy of strong accolades. The characters were often super fucked up but in like "this could actually be a human being" kind of fucked up and not an "anime character" fucked up and I appreciated that. I certainly think the narrative could have been tighter and the writing better (the character arcs were all there but could probably have been better developed) but overall I'd put it down as a good show. Flawed but good.

Mars of Destruction is one of those rare anime where I tried to watch it and I could feel my body shutting down to prevent me from watching it. Mahouka was another one of those.

Seda

The characters were often super fucked up but in like "this could actually be a human being" kind of fucked up and not an "anime character" fucked up and I appreciated that.

This is exactly what I wanted to post but hesitated and didn't. They felt like people and not archetypes.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I will always give M&H credit for the fact it created one of, if not THE most tolerable & relatable child characters I've ever seen, which is really hard to do. I can't really think of a moment where I actually was annoyed by Hatchin.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
I "suffered" through the entirely of that arc on a week by week basis and thought the pacing was completely fine. Opinions are very divided on that.

I am aware that some also were fine with the arc but at the end of the day it is infamous for its slow pacing whatever the reason and that could be an issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom