• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Aug14| Melodrama Marathon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
MmMAD7F.gif

Someone should shop HELLSING on Sakura's arm.

Guess we should do the old role call to figure out who has and hasn't seen hellsing ultimate or any variation of hellsing.

I've seen dubbed episodes 1-8 cause I own the blu-ray/dvd box set. Was waiting for 9/10 to come out this fall to watch them but I guess I'll watch with the group now

Season 2 of Clone Wars has been so much better than season 3. Season 3's only real trump card so far were the pretty decent clone based episodes and the fact that like all seasons of the show the art improves dramatically.

i have to wonder if a ton of their budget went into that art bump; we've had a hell of a lot of episodes that were either concerned with politics or didn't have a lot of action.

LOLDSFAN

IT WAS ME, BBboy20 who asked DeMarco about rather he knew about ToonamiGAF's existence.

I would have posted much earlier but Robin Williams' death and Ferguson just straight-up prevented me from even checking this thread.

Watching Gurren Lagaan, when they reached the surface:
knowshon-cries-2.gif

Didn't realized I missed this show so much.

Were you also the one who was asking him if he had ever heard of MikeMyers or me a couple months ago?

dan2026

I take it Toonami don't care about extreme violence if they are airing Hellsing.

Also Norio Wakamoto's Anderson is literally the best thing ever.

AAAAAAAMEEEEEEENNNNN!!

I take it Toonami don't care about extreme violence if they are airing Hellsing.

AAAAAAAMEEEEEEENNNNN!!

This is America, gratuitous violence is ok but don't dare utter a curse word or show some skin unless you want a fat fine from the FCC!

AAAAAAAMEEEEEEENNNNN!!

At this point violence shouldn't prevent any show from airing on the block, just nudity/sexual content is the biggest ? left. Then again there is really only two shows I can think of where that might even remotely be an issue (Kill La Kill and Fairy Tail) that I feel have a chance of coming to Toonami. Random harem action anime where every girl is a super big breasted character in a super skimpy outfit all vying for the MC's D just don't seem like the kind of shows AS would pick up for Toonami.

Then again KSK is a thing they let happen

daveo42

Banned
This is America, gratuitous violence is ok but don't dare utter a curse word or show some skin unless you want a fat fine from the FCC!

Well, you're fine now with anything but a few choice words now like 'fuck' and 'cunt' that aren't on the air, but so much as a nipple is the worst possible offense to the senses.

Seems right to me :/

Well, you're fine now with anything but a few choice words now like 'fuck' and 'cunt' that aren't on the air, but so much as a nipple is the worst possible offense to the senses.

Seems right to me :/
Actually fun fact the FCC has nothing to do with cable channels. They only hold jurisdiction over OTA channels.
Its more the advertisers and Adult Swims own Standards and Practices division that would have a problem with it.

To answer the general question, no I've never seen any of Hellsing Ultimate.

Actually fun fact the FCC has nothing to do with cable channels. They only hold jurisdiction over OTA channels.
Its more the advertisers and Adult Swims own Standards and Practices division that would have a problem with it.

Local franchising authorities enforce cable television regulations but they have to follow the rules and regulations of the FCC. They can fine local franchises and certain commercial broadcasters, so in reality they do hold sway over cable networks as I understand things.

Cable television system operators generally make their own selection of channels and programs to be distributed to subscribers in response to consumer demands. The Commission does, however, have rules in some areas that are applicable to programming -- called "origination cablecasting" in the rules -- that are subject to the editorial control of the cable system operator. The rules generally do not apply to the content of broadcast channels or to access channels over which the cable system operator has no editorial control.

There are also federal laws that bar obscene material from cable tv

Both 47 U.S.C. §559 and 18 U.S.C. §1468(a) respectively bar the transmission of obscene material over a cable system and the knowing utterance or distribution of obscene matter by means of a cable television system or subscription service.

What counts as obscene material you might ask?

In 1973, the U.S. Supreme Court established the following criteria to determine whether speech is obscene: (1) whether the average person, applying contemporary community standards, would find that the work, taken as a whole, appeals to prurient interest; (2) whether the work depicts or describes in a patently offensive way sexual conduct specifically defined by applicable state law; and (3) whether the work, taken as a whole, lacks serious literary, artistic, political, or scientific value. In 1978, the Court stated that whether the work could be deemed "patently offensive" would depend on context, degree and time of broadcast.

The Commission's generic definition of "indecency" is one that applies to language that describes, in terms patently offensive as measured by contemporary community standards for the broadcast medium, sexual or excretory activities and organs.

daveo42

Banned

Correct, the FCC has no real jurisdiction in the cable space, but most Standards and Practices follow what the FCC has to appease advertisers on the network. You can usually stretch that dependant on time and popularity of the show or network.

That's how we get the word 'shit' on some of the later shows and something like the Walking Dead. Standards and Practices could let anything fly, but part of their job is to regulate the network to keep advertisers happy.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Tonight's lineup:

11:30 - The Simpsons - 124 - The PTA Disbands
12:00 - The Simpsons - 125 - Round Springfield
12:30 - The Simpsons - 126 - The Springfield Connection
1:00 - The Simpsons - 127 - Lemon of Troy
1:30 - The Simpsons - 128-129 - Who Shot Mr. Burns?
2:30 - The Simpsons - 130 - Radioactive Man
3:00 - The Simpsons - 131 - Home Sweet Homediddly-Dum-Doodily
3:30 - The Simpsons - 132 - Bart Sells His Soul
4:00 - The Simpsons - 133 - Lisa the Vegetarian
4:30 - The Simpsons - 134 - Treehouse of Horror VI
5:00 - The Simpsons - 135 - King-Size Homer
5:30 - The Simpsons - 136 - Mother Simpson

Wait, shit.

Tonight on Toonami, Eren is reunited with his friends and comrades, Ichigo has mastered his fullbring but Tsukishima decides it's time he made his move, Dandy is wandering a world without sadness, Naruto and Sakura meet their new teammates, the Straw Hats hit the ground running in the heart of Enies Lobby, the gang ends up back at Yoko's village and Kamina has a new crazy idea in the face of his enemies, the new DA Harvey Dent has his sights set on the Caped Crusader, Balalaika launches an assault on the Washimine clan but Yukio isn't going to take it without striking back, Gaara reveals his abilities, Fullmetal brings one of the more creative recap episodes around, Bebop plays a ballad for fallen angels, Ziro the Hutt has bounty hunters and Jedi alike after him, and Jack takes on the zombie horde.

11:30 - Attack on Titan - 16 - What Needs to be Done Now: Eve of the Counterattack, Part 3
12:00 - Bleach - 357 - Tsukishima's Ability, the Danger is Drawing Near!
12:30 - Space Dandy - 21 - A World with No Sadness, Baby
1:00 - Naruto Shippuden - 34 - Formation! New Team Kakashi!
1:30 - One Piece - 268 - Catch Up with Luffy! The Straw Hats’ All-Out Battle
2:00 - Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann - 2 - I Said I'm Gonna Pilot That Thing!!
2:30 - Beware the Batman - 16 - Nexus
3:00 - Black Lagoon: The Second Barrage - 23 - Snow White's Payback
3:30 - Naruto - 34 - Akamaru Trembles: Gaara's Cruel Strength!
4:00 - Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood - 27 - Interlude Party
4:30 - Cowboy Bebop - 5 - Ballad of Fallen Angels
5:00 - Star Wars: The Clone Wars - 53 - Hunt for Ziro
5:30 - Samurai Jack - 30 - Jack and the Zombies

I'm not sure why you'd want to skip new premiers of toonami in a group watch for reruns of the simpsons regardless of how good the episodes in question are. Its literally just the same simpsons reruns that have been on us tv for 20+ years now

BBboy20

Were you also the one who was asking him if he had ever heard of MikeMyers or me a couple months ago?
No and to be honest, I expected to not be the only one to ask or maybe DeMarco already knew and had contact with you guys. Was really, really surprised that I coincidentally legit shooked everyone in this community.

Wait, Hellsing is coming to TOonami?

Crocodile

The original Hellsing was one of the first anime I ever bought on DVD. It was enjoyable for the time but I'd be lying if I said I remembered much in the way of specifics. Interested to see how the "real" version of the show plays out

BBboy20

The original Hellsing was one of the first anime I ever bought on DVD. It was enjoyable for the time but I'd be lying if I said I remembered much in the way of specifics. Interested to see how the "real" version of the show plays out
I'm wondering how censored it's going to be...then I remembered I was introduced to it through Adult Swim.

EDIT: HOLY HELL THAT GIF at their Tumblr; they're gonna' keep that!?

Gorillaz

Down to the last 2 episodes of Lagoon. Arc has went by pretty fast, but it's been fun watching it with the group here

Never seen Hellsing. So I'm interested.

Takashi

From pirates and ninja to vampires? I'm down.

Never seen any Hellsing, just random clips here and there. All I know is that it's about a strong vampire and that it's given people Crispin Freeman fever. Seems interesting to say the least.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
zlCfzSWwwSYjhxRo6W

zlCfzSWwwSYjhxRo6W

You'd have the purists calling for DeMarco's head on twitter

Oh yeah, and to clear that up, I meant cutting the middle eps OP and EDs, and playing full of both at the bookends.

With nice enough packaging, like "Toonami Mini Marathons" or the "All in One Piece Hour", I think it could be fairly respectfully done...Heck anime recuts episodes into mini-movie stuff all the time... it's not really unheard of...

I'm not sure why you'd want to skip new premiers of toonami in a group watch for reruns of the simpsons regardless of how good the episodes in question are. Its literally just the same simpsons reruns that have been on us tv for 20+ years now
I'm sorry Bass but you're wrong man.
I'll catch what I can of Toonami tonight.

Did the new Boondocks season already end?

Awhile ago with a whimper as Shard would put it

I'm sorry Bass but you're wrong man.
I'll catch what I can of Toonami tonight.

Seriously how many dozens of times have these episodes aired on TV over the years? At least next week no one will give a shit because the Simpsons will be out of the "good years" and nobody will bother to watch outside of hardcore fans and masochist. The classic simpsons are great don't get me wrong, but I don't need to watch them AGAIN

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
I am with Bass on this, given that I am the advocate of The New around here. The Simpsons have been great to watch in the unimportant time but didn't stop me from watchign new Doctor Who or new Toonami .

I am with Bass on this, given that I am the advocate of The New around here. The Simpsons have been great to watch in the unimportant time but didn't stop me from watchign new Doctor Who or new Toonami .

This, it'd be one thing if the Simpsons on TV had been in some limbo rights hell and the only way to view them was though expensive dvd/br box sets or illegal streaming sites, but the fact is they've been constantly rerunning for longer then some people in this thread have been alive.

This, it'd be one thing if the Simpsons on TV had been in some limbo rights hell and the only way to view them was though expensive dvd/br box sets or illegal streaming sites, but the fact is they've been constantly rerunning for longer then some people in this thread have been alive.
Group watches are more fun. Even if it is old content. And this content is new to me so I'm going to watch it.
I'll still catch Dandy and One Piece so whatever.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance

Fuck, I have the DVDs of my favorite seasons, so if I miss something I can watch that episode.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom