• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Dec14| Watch the reruns, Shinji

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jarate

Banned
If y'all ever move away from pizza meccas like New York and Chicago, you'll understand why people order from Pizza Hut and Dominos.

Living in Wisconsin has taught me that most pizza around the country fucking suck

Pizza Hut is the best only because of Honey Siracha sauve they now put on your pizza, its fucking delicious

Also, put fucking hot sauce on your pizza, its incredible

Raxus

Reviews (Movie edition!)

So I sat out the month to do a big review for the movies so let's go in order.

Hellsing IX

The stronger of the two featuring the end of one really awesome duel and Alucard v. Walter. It is a shame they Dues Ex Machina'd Alucard away for the Final Act which wasn't quite built up enough. Still the stronger of the last two finales.

Summer Wars

We've been through this before but it is still REALLY fun to watch. Animated by one of my favorite directors it does a great job showing impact in the fights as well as tiny details in the slice of life taking up the majority of the run time. It has great characters but its biggest flaw is sidelining most of the women when Grandma passes. It is unfortunate they didn't play more of an active role in the story instead of playing housekeepers.

Hellsing X

The epic finale...is filled with a lot of padding. I loved the big bad throughout this stupid speeches and all. But my god, EVERYONE got a final speech, even the doktor who introduced and ended a subplot in the SAME SCENE. Seras continues to be a boss which is the biggest highlight of the movie. Shame it is filled with awful comedy and drags to what may have been a satisfactory ending.

FMA: Milos

Good animation is about the best compliment I can think of this. It is nice that the main characters each had a big moment throughout it all (sorry Mustang and company :( ). Just the dumbest twists though made this a mess. Still better than Shamballa which says more about how bad the first FMA is than this. I think it being non-canon helps a ton too. 2 Man-God's out of 4.

Broly

His power is maximum. His plot is minimum. This is laughably bad. This roided up freak is "...a toothpick", according to Trunks. The movie tries to pull off intrigue despite everyone and their mother figuring it out before the Z warriors. The conclusion of the fight is hilariously awful, it is like they saw the run time and rushed to conclude it after realizing how OP they made the villain. The dad's master plan is such a convoluted mess it makes me wonder how he survived long enough to meet Goku. Broly is mad because Goku made him cry as a baby. Penises. Hands down the worst movie this month...and the highest rated most likely...god dammit. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH! KAKAROT!

Akira

A cinema classic and I still love it (more than others here) on my second viewing. The fact it is completely hand animated blows me away. Enough of my biased opinion on to the other movies.

Eva 1.11

Tablesetting, the movie!

Eva 2.22

Payoff, the movie! I mostly like the changes and the movie flows a lot better now they got a ton of the exposition out of the way. Only downside? No dance fight :(

RANKINGS!

Good:

Akira
Summer Wars
Eva 2.22
Hellsing IX

Mediocre:

Hellsing X
FMA: Sacred Star of Milos

Its Awfulness is Maximum:

Broly

Man God

Non-Canon Member
The women aren't sidelined during Summer Wars after the best character dies. They are being responsible and getting ready for a funeral of a much loved matriarch. Meanwhile its the guys that are screwing around, going to war for a little revenge on a computer program. Sure, it ended up being the right move at large but it doesn't mean the women were doing nothing.

I look at it as the men go off on their own and accomplish nothing whatsoever until the women come back and they all work as a team.

You can't really have that and a convincing romance, too, unfortunately.

Soulflarz

Banned
I didnt even notice gender roles in Summer Wars, or I guess I havent seen it in awhile so I dont think of them? I should rewatch it I guess.

Raxus

The women aren't sidelined during Summer Wars after the best character dies. They are being responsible and getting ready for a funeral of a much loved matriarch. Meanwhile its the guys that are screwing around, going to war for a little revenge on a computer program. Sure, it ended up being the right move at large but it doesn't mean the women were doing nothing.

One of the mothers was watching baseball the whole movie almost. The rest helped with the funeral and prepared dinner. I may have been kind of harsh but I do wish the main love interest remained in the 'main' storyline instead of disappearing until the final act.

The subtext on gender roles, I would say, was largely unintentional but I want to point it out since his other works tend to have larger roles for the female characters in the stories. I feel Wolf Children is a wonderful apology for any shortcomings I perceived in this movie.

Speaking of Hosoda, get hyped.
Please ignore the weird furry streak Hosoda's been having too. >.<

The main romance is the weakest part of Summer Wars, the entire film is starts because she randomly invites some guy to her parents to be a pretend husbando, the film never really establishes if either really has a crush on the other or how good of friends they really are if they are friends. I think from the friend we get a line that she's a popular girl at the school and we establish that the mc does find her attractive but thats it. Its why I'm never bothered by the romance/love interst leaving the film half way though the second act because she's more just a catalyst to get him there.

First they came for Xbox Live/PSN, and I said nothing because I was not a gamer.

Then they came for the anime, and I said nothing because I was not a weeaboo.

NQHKSVE.gif

Soulflarz

Banned
The World Ends With Who's album got announced finally, so yeah, I can stop teasing that :3

On that note, I find it relatively intersting the album launch party got that name...

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
One of the Hellsing Ultimate animation companies did the intro for Guilty Gear Xrd?

How many teams worked on Hellsing?

At least three studios.
Episodes 1-4 were animated by Satelight
Episodes 5-7 by Madhouse
Episodes 8-10 by Graphinica

That tends to happen with OVAs, they switch animation studios.

|OT| Attack on Z? Holy Ship...sit, boy! Set sail for spiral power! Wanna live? Sorry, we're full out of metal

I think I'm delirious.

Soulflarz

Banned
This year we will do the impossible see the invisible ROW ROW FIGHT THE POWAH

(i cant think of anything witty)

Soo, how many times will we see FLCL before 2016? :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom