• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Feb14| We Kick Ass for the LORD!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Snap. What was their reponse?
"Hello!
For serious though, we dont know what questions are going unanswered, what haven’t we already said?
PS if you’re not doing anything for prom, maybe we could hang out or something, if you’re going. "

Also, "What's the craziest show Toonami's ever aired?
Hm, we’d Say King Star King or Kick-Heart, but the one people LOVED that we think is pretty crazy is Bobobo-Bo-BoBobo!"

Man, I'm still disappointed to this day that they never reaired the series, ESPECIALLY considering I missed an episode one week & I think DVDs are really tough to find. Heck, I remember the first DVD had to be recalled because the subs were for the English Dub & not the Japanese one, so I had to send my copy in so they could switch them out.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Having not been around when they were airing but hearing the general impressions is it actually true that DMWL was darker than Casshern?

Also Bo Bo Bo (Dallas) was the craziest thing they've ever aired.

Having not been around when they were airing but hearing the general impressions is it actually true that DMWL was darker than Casshern?

Also Bo Bo Bo (Dallas) was the craziest thing they've ever aired.

DMWL (manga) started off really freaking dark... and then it
went Shonen
and wasn't anywhere near as dark, dunno how the anime handled it

RedBoot

& just checked, Funimation grabbed the rights after Bandai closed down in the US. So sounds like there might be a chance!

The old DVD releases of Outlaw Star are out of print, so my hope is that Funi's getting a new re-release set together. There's apparently a remastered version of the show, so maybe they'd use that.

Maybe if all that happens, they'll make it available to Toonami. If nothing else, I wouldn't mind replacing my old DVDs with a shiny new remastered set.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Black Lagoon is the toonamist show they ever aired and the best thing about the combination of Adult Swim Action and Toonami merging.

It's got mercenaries who sometimes get paid.
Guns.
Girls,
Swearing.
Explosions.
A business man.
A ship.
An Ocean Group dub!
Guns.
Swearing.

Black Lagoon is the toonamist show they ever aired and the best thing about the combination of Adult Swim Action and Toonami merging.

Guns.
Girls,
Swearing.
Explosions.
A business man.
A ship.
An Ocean Group dub!
Guns.
Swearing.

That sounds BLEEPing awesome

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Thing is I know the general premise of Casshern from other media (I was obsessed with catching up on all the Tatsunoko Vs. Capcom shows a few years back) and from this thread and I get the idea that the show is...somewhat...bleak and depressing. DMWL is above that? Wow.

Q&A Summary:
working on more Clyde bumps
new Space Dandy opening with a week
T-shirt winners will be notified “very soon”
waiting on the PS4 patch for HDMI recording before they can do a review
airing Gundam Wing over the original Mobile Suit Gundam was Bandai’s request
they seem pretty adamant about March for Blue Exorcist still
said they'd like to air Outlaw Star if the rights become available

Anonymous Asked: So soul eater is not going to have a rerun?
Not right away, no.

yes, that is all. no, really. that was all.

Jintor

Thing is I know the general premise of Casshern from other media (I was obsessed with catching up on all the Tatsunoko Vs. Capcom shows a few years back) and from this thread and I get the idea that the show is...somewhat...bleak and depressing. DMWL is above that? Wow.

Dmwl is also a but more absurd and goofy imo

Guns.
Girls,
Swearing.
Explosions.
A business man.
A ship.
An Ocean Group dub!
Guns.
Swearing.

What about...tiny miniskirts ?

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Bandai clearly knew what was up.

I fully expect Gundam Wing to be the first and possibly only Gundam show that they get and only when that is remastered.

Well, at any rate, it'd be number one on the list while the rest would be a slim possibilty.

In rough order of viability.

1. Gundam Wing, to promote someone getting the US rights and putting out a remastered Blu Ray.
2. Gundam 00, it's a lot like Wing and did ok on Sci Fi.
3. Gundam SEEEEEED/Destiny. You know you want this.
4. Turn A Gundam. It breaks the curse, finally gets dubbed by Funi or Viz and they premiere this.
5. G Gundam. Only in my dreams.
6. Build Fighters. With the relaunch of the afternoon block!

Zonic

Gives all the fucks

Guns.
Girls,
Swearing.
Explosions.
A business man.
A ship.
An Ocean Group dub!
Guns.
Swearing.
You forgot MAIDS!!

....there'd be a link to an AMV Hell clip using that anime with the song "Everybody Ought to Have a Maid" from "A Funny Thing Happened on the way to the Forum", but I can't find it.

Bandai clearly knew what was up.

I fully expect Gundam Wing to be the first and possibly only Gundam show that they get and only when that is remastered.

Well, at any rate, it'd be number one on the list while the rest would be a slim possibilty.

In rough order of viability.

1. Gundam Wing, to promote someone getting the US rights and putting out a remastered Blu Ray.
2. Gundam 00, it's a lot like Wing and did ok on Sci Fi.
3. Gundam SEEEEEED/Destiny. You know you want this.
4. Turn A Gundam. It breaks the curse, finally gets dubbed by Toonami or Viz and they premiere this.
5. G Gundam. Only in my dreams.
6. Build Fighters. With the relaunch of the afternoon block!
Nope
I'll take G Gundam

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Destiny is the Ultimate Gundam train wreck. Bad romances, awful motivation for the main character, implausible grasping victory from the jaws of defeat, multiple characters no selling death, a crazy cult leader villain who basically wins until everyone actually stops and thinks about what the hell he is actually trying to do, old UC suits being brought back for no reason.

bigkrev

I once again dived into the Anime of the year 2012 voting thread, where SAO somehow finished in the top 15. Of course, no one who actually liked the show posted more than a few words about why they liked it (unique premise, good visuals, ect), and all the people who thought it was terrible really went and explained why.

3. Sword Art Online

A revolution in story telling. The concept it simple, what if you were trapped in a game where you could die. Stripped of all the harmless fun and now forced to battle for survival, the characters throughout the show struggle with harsh moral judgements and often have to question the ethics behind their decisions. Does one leave weaker players behind in order to escape faster or do you stay behind and accept this new life so you life in not danger from battle. Meanwhile you see snapshots of the real world and how people are coping with their loved ones lost in a coma and the police force franticly hunting for the master mind behind this devilish scheme.

This was the best I could find that defended the series, and I don't really remember any "harsh moral judgements" being made, just stupidity.

And then, of course, firehawk12 tells us how he really feels (and really, how I feel as well)
Fuck Japan award: Sword Art Online. This is the worst show ever to have been produced by a culture. Take the solipsism of The Newsroom, the depravity of K-Town or any other reality show of that ilk, and the sad humanity exhibited exhibited in shows like Honey Boo Boo and you'd STILL get a show that is morally, ethically, and spiritually more justifiable than Sword Art Online. The bar has been set so low that I can even see merit in a show like OniAi. Fuck you SAO... just fuck you.

I'm still fascinated by the positive response that the series got. In a lot of cases, when people defend stuff that is utter garbage (Twilight, Final Fantasy 7, Justin Bieber/One Direction, ect), I am able to understand because the majority of these positive opinions come from people who were introduced to these things at a young age, and feel a deep attachment to them because it's the first time in their life that they found something that they like, and that others like as well.

SAO doesn't strike me as something that falls into that same catagory though. It's support doesn't come from the young crowd, as best I can tell.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Gundam Seed is the WORST Gundam series to air on US television by far.

Hmmm.

The US aired: Wing, 08th MS, 0083, 0080, most of MSG, SD Gundam, G, SEED, 00.

The worst mainly because of its awful dub is Mobile Suit Gundam.

Canada aired DESTINY though, which is the worst, and most watchable hate watch type show ever. I love watching DESTINY with people! Especially the dub.

I understand why a normal human like Kiriko became a tree maiden thing, but it's horribly dumb. I preferred Kiriko to be the normal human in the harem

This was the best I could find that defended the series, and I don't really remember any "harsh moral judgements" being made, just stupidity.

some people just say they like something. others go looking for things they can ascribe more meaning to than was ever intended or misrepresent things in order to justify their enjoyment. normally i can see why somebody likes something, but come the fuck on that's not even true.

God GXP stop being serious with your plot this is boring ass shit

ibnz90HsrMU3NU.gif

Hmmm.

The US aired: Wing, 08th MS, 0083, 0080, most of MSG, SD Gundam, G, SEED, 00.

The worst mainly because of its awful dub is Mobile Suit Gundam.

Canada aired DESTINY though, which is the worst, and most watchable hate watch type show ever. I love watching DESTINY with people! Especially the dub.

SD was terrible but Seed managed to top that pile of garbage. I just couldn't take the overly dramatic characters and lack of giant robot fights in a show about giant freaking robot fights. What a boring mess, I refuse to watch it again.

Wing, G, and 08th MS team are top tier. Everything else is mediocre to good.

I'm still fascinated by the positive response that the series got. In a lot of cases, when people defend stuff that is utter garbage (Twilight, Final Fantasy 7, Justin Bieber/One Direction, ect), I am able to understand because the majority of these positive opinions come from people who were introduced to these things at a young age, and feel a deep attachment to them because it's the first time in their life that they found something that they like, and that others like as well.

SAO doesn't strike me as something that falls into that same catagory though. It's support doesn't come from the young crowd, as best I can tell.

They obviously enjoy the intricate plotlines and complex characters.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
00 is worse than Seed. Seed has the benefit of an interesting premise and a fairly well-executed war/ escalation of war between Naturals and Coordinators. 00 dropped off the fucking cliff after the well-presented 1st half.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom