• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Feb15| Giraffes are awesome, I love giraffes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Adult Swim might not be rolling back Saturday Primetime TOONAMI just yet but Netflix might be, Saint Seiya was just uploaded today! Japanese and Spanish dub tracks!

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
well, they announced Kill la Kill before Toonami was shortened, and from what DeMarco has said the shortening was a very sudden thing. so i imagine it was originally supposed to air at 11:30.
Well that would mean some weird schedule switch up is coming.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Hmm, checked next week & DBZ Kai is listed, strange that it wasn't corrected today. Also ooohhhh boy, I can't wait until next week. I won't say which show, but I'm excited.

Also WTF at that Adult Swim promo. & really, no promoting that DBZ is on later in the night?

LET'S CONFIRM WITH DEMARCO THAT ADULT SWIM IS TRYING TO STEAL DBZ FROM TOONAMI!!

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Now all Netflix needs is Gundam SEED, Bobobo, Zatch Bell, Duel Masters, and Rurouni Kenshin. It has Justice League.

Crocodile

Oh yeah I forgot DBZ was airing at 8pm. Anything special about the airing?

EDIT: I guess the above responses answer my question :/

I think time skips are more noticeable in anime/manga because the series are drawn and you have to either slowly change your main characters appearance over time or time skip if you want to make them look older/alter their appearance. In movies/tv shows time skips happen all the time between seasons/films more because it takes time to film and edit them but the stories generally don't bring focus to them. Obviously this isn't true of all cases but I do find that generally to be the case.

So you're saying time skips are more apparent in animated/drawn media because to represent the passage of time you have to change your designs more than the passage of time would naturally age characters in live action media? I guess that makes sense? I dunno, I feel like HTown was talking more about longer time skips (like 1+ year per skip) than just a few weeks or months as that's just more a truncated passage of time. You wouldn't expect characters to change their look THAT much in the span of a few weeks (though it's not like we can't do serious makeovers in real life over short periods of time if we want to).

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Even if you want to credit DBZ for a time skip (and a lot of manga that came after it did use it as well) instead of it being just an age old literary trope you might as well start with Fist of the North Star which had a gigantic time skip in between parts one and two.

So you're saying time skips are more apparent in animated/drawn media because to represent the passage of time you have to change your designs more than the passage of time would naturally age characters in live action media? I guess that makes sense? I dunno, I feel like HTown was talking more about longer time skips (like 1+ year per skip) than just a few weeks or months as that's just more a truncated passage of time. You wouldn't expect characters to change their look THAT much in the span of a few weeks (though it's not like we can't do serious makeovers in real life over short periods of time if we want to).

I guess a better way to explain my point would be that anime/manga time skips are generally always a choice by the creator of the story, where as time skips in other forms of media are often a necessity due to needing to film/edit new footage with real actors who are aging during the down time between film sessions. Yes there are films like Boyhood/Bicentennial Man/Forest Gump that are character studies where we see multiple time skips in the film to show the life of a character but those are generally handled differently then the big manga/anime time skips we see in series like DB/Z, OP, or Naruto.

Even if you want to credit DBZ for a time skip (and a lot of manga that came after it did use it as well) instead of it being just an age old literary trope you might as well start with Fist of the North Star which had a gigantic time skip in between parts one and two.

Okay I'll admit my history of anime/manga is not great and giving it credit to DB/Z was poor on my part.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
it's possible that since this was such a sudden change that they didn't have time to do anything
Part of me wants to think this considering Dish didn't even update the time slot schedule to say that DBZ Kai was airing, still said "Shut Up, Sit Down". If they don't air one next week, however, then I might get a bit more suspicious.

.......that or we could ask DeMarco.

Tenumi

Banned
Trying to catch up on Kill La Kill before Midnight. I think I'll be fine. I've really dropped the ball in keeping caught up with everything.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
It's hilarious that Adult Swim never airs Boondocks Season 4. Despite the ratings, they KNEW it was complete shit.

Considering AS themselves didn't seem 100% sure they were airing DBZ Kai at 8pm until like 2 days ago it really shouldn't be that much of a surprise they didn't have any kind of "did you like that? Now go check out more kick ass anime at midnight" thingy

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Well, the thing of the matter is there is a fairly new Toonami line up promo that just aired and even that failed to showed up.

Squishy3

Speaking of DBZ, I finally got around to watching Battle of Gods tonight.

Good stuff.
I still haven't seen it. Microsoft gave it to me on Xbox Video for the Xbox One one year anniversary thing even though I only owned one for about a month before the one year anniversary happened. :p

ckohler

gTHjRfG.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom