• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Feb15| Giraffes are awesome, I love giraffes

Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel Studio Pierrot are reaching close to Toei's position. I mean look what they did to Tokyo Ghoul.

"Hey we're gonna adapt this shonen manga that does pretty well with sales and is close to finishing"

'That's great, lets introduce filler concepts and skip important story scenes'

"Oh hey our TG anime became popular and the manga got even more popular, lets do a second season"

'That's awesome, but lets make sure to skip a bunch of story content and skip ahead because everyone's read the manga and we don't need to show every scene'

I mean what part of that doesn't sound brilliant?

Soulflarz

Banned
"Hey we're gonna adapt this shonen manga that does pretty well with sales and is close to finishing"

"Oh hey our TG anime became popular and the manga got even more popular, lets do a second season"

'That's awesome, but lets make sure to skip a bunch of story content and skip ahead because everyone's read the manga and we don't need to show every scene'

All that money!

The series is actually Seinen, but something I don't understand is why give it to Studio Pierrot, as they mainly specialize in Shonen not Seinen.

Should of gave it to a Studio that can handle Seinen adaptions.

All that money!

They would of made more money if they had adapted it more properly.

Crocodile

The series is actually Seinen, but something I don't understand is why give it to Studio Pierrot, as they mainly specialize in Shonen not Seinen.

Should of gave it to a Studio that can handle Seinen adaptions.

They would of made more money if they had adapted it more properly.

Adapting Seinen isn't any harder than Shonen - if the script writer, director, etc. are competent they can handle the show. Seinen and Shonen aren't even different genres, they just represent different target audiences.

It's hard to parse out who exactly is at fault for some of the decisions that went into the Tokyo Ghoul anime but I feel pretty confident not all of them were made by the animators that work at Studio Pierrot. As Bishop says, I'm sure the production committee shares some of the blame.

could one elaborate with the reasoning behind the production staff
excuse my ignorance

I'm pretty sure Bishop meant production committee instead of staff. A production committee is made up of those who pay to get the actual anime made. If you look at the credits of any anime, you'll see "__________ Committee" or something similar mentioned. In the case of manga adaptations, the publisher of the original manga will be on the committee. The original author may or may not have some degree of say. The TV station that airs the show, merchandisers, etc. may also be on the committee as well. As investors, they get a voice (and for some shows its a LOUD voice) in how an adaptation may proceed and what not. If their aim is to just throw something together to advertize the manga, you may get weird adaptations choice like what Tokyo Ghouls seems to be experiencing.

I don't know too much, but if I remember right, the production committee are the guys who plan out the adaptation (budget, marketing, staff), the animation studio provides the resources, and the staff pretty much does all the animation grunt work.

This is just a guess, but I think Tokyo Ghoul's problem was that the production committee wanted to get to the "interesting" parts quicker and sped through important character building parts.

Edit: Or what Crocodile said. :p

oh that makes sense

seeing as Toei sensors things and cuts corners with budget.... this is likely those committee members trying to make it profitable rather then being a good adaptation

An Invader Zim comic series is coming.
get

You thought it was a turkey, but it was I, GIR!

Jarate

Banned
When I was doing my teacher observations for class in a high school this year, the freshman girls were still wearing hot topic invader zim stuff. I was stunned that it has lasted this long

Also, tomorrows episode of DBZ will be super hype

Cwarrior

Wasn't there a time Toei gave a fuck?

Next episode of one piece on toonami is fantastically animated, also they gave a fuck when a big event is happening in one piece or a new precure character is being introduced.

You can tell when toei gives a damn by checking the staff list of the upcomeing episode(director,storyboarder,animation director and key animator).

The problem with toei is there spread way to thin now adays they have too many animes running at the same time(6 to 7 animes at the same time) and there movies are bigger then they use to be.

There top talents are rotating between 6-7 animes instead of working on one anime and whenever a big movie is the works it hurts every tv anime there working on as they pull the talents from those shows.

They have a ton of talented directors, animation directors and key animator they work with but not enough to cover everything, if they stopped making movies or worked on only 4 animes at a time it would make a huge difference.

Man, I really want to post gifs from this week's JoJo, but there's a good chance it'll come to the block and I don't want to ruin the experience for you guys. It's so good.

oh that makes sense

seeing as Toei sensors things and cuts corners with budget.... this is likely those committee members trying to make it profitable rather then being a good adaptation

I think I remember reading an article a few years back that looked into the mentality that goes into working on an anime from the major studios. Toei flat out said that they're more concerned with making money than any artistic statement.

Ah yes, Toriko, the has-been who never was in spite of TOEI's efforts to push him as the next big thing.

series gets good after awhile as well

and just gets better as it progresses once the mangaka got into it

pacing is very nice and not slow like some series (for the manga that is)

oh well the anime is done...... and I don't expect it coming back any time soon or getting rebooted

that ship has sailed

Yeah the fuck up for the Toriko anime was bad from step 1, though at least ignoring the filler character and the tuned down violence it was fairly faithful... Until the ending where the anime team went snooker loopy with their filler end.

Not that we'll ever see the Toriko anime on Toonami, it apparently did so poorly for Funi they only dubbed the first season

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
tumblr_meayjsh1kh1qjt5tko1_500.png

Uuuuuuuuuuuuhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

I can explain that.
Gourmet Hunters have "Full Course Menus", a menu of eight items of the best foods they've ever had.
The original Hunter, Acacia, had a Menu of extremely rare ingredients with Engrish names.
GOD was his main course, and Toriko's goal is to find GOD and eat it.
Another one of his ingredients is PAIR, which is literally a monkey's testicles.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
how come there are so many big time skips in anime?
Perhaps to change things up & make more merchandise allow for characters & the setting to be different (new powers, locations, enemies, etc.) without seeming so sudden.

how come there are so many big time skips in anime?

Time skip is an easy story mechanic that can be used any number of ways to move the story forward. Even among the big shonen series the reason for each time skip is pretty different both why it happened and what effect it had on the story.

The short answer is DB/Z did it and its the super popular series everyone tries to emulate to this day so of course time skip is obligatory

Raxus

I remember the fact DBZ has timeskips, I just dont remember where. I havent see the series through in way too long...

Future DBZ 'spoilers'

There is a year before the Saiyans arrive.

There is more time between
Frieza and the Android arc

Several characters stay
a year in a time chamber during the Cell arc.

And of course the 'big one'.

I dunno the time that passes between Saiyans and the next arc.

Future DBZ 'spoilers'

There is a year before the Saiyans arrive.

There is more time between

Several characters stay

And of course the 'big one'.

I dunno the time that passes between Saiyans and the next arc.

IIRC it's 6 months between
Gohan and co leaving for Namek and arriving, then they spend at least a month there as Goku recovers half way during their time on the planet and it takes him 10 days to arrive

Jarate

Banned
I wish Toriko was a good anime ;-;

It would have the best intro on Toonami if it did air that first season though. And it's not horrid, they just basically 4kids'd the manga is all

Time skip is an easy story mechanic that can be used any number of ways to move the story forward. Even among the big shonen series the reason for each time skip is pretty different both why it happened and what effect it had on the story.

The short answer is DB/Z did it and its the super popular series everyone tries to emulate to this day so of course time skip is obligatory

Time skips existed and were a popular literary device before Dragon Ball.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom