• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Feb15| Giraffes are awesome, I love giraffes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moaradin

I can see where grandjedi is coming from. Killing characters that viewers dont care about but other characters do to invoke the literal raw emotion needed for Simon to 'power up' creates a dissonance.

I certainly cared about some of those characters. Sure, they never got a lot of focus but they were all charismatic and were fun to watch. Especially the twins. And they were part of the team for a big chunk of the series.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Opinions and all that but why did you feel it was horrible?

I really hate the meaningless sacrifices of this episode. There's no emotional attachment to them so their deaths only serve as an attempt to up the ante (since Simon can't up the ante himself this episode). If they really wanted us to care about the pointless deaths, they would have killed a more important character. But instead they just weed out the red shirts. Even Yoko and the twin girl got saved from their sacrifices because they were more important.

Which leads to my larger problem with the episode: it was boring. I get having a calmer/despair episode, but the way the episode dealt with that depended entirely on how much you cared about the red shirts dying. Since I didn't care about it at all, I just found the episode boring: which is the worst crime a show like Gurren Lagann can commit.

Thankfully, for those same reasons, I like the next 3 episodes a lot more.

Mik317

there are lawyers in this world?

and why would they allow a criminal to just walk in court to sue dudes?

not logical at all Oda

Crocodile

I can see where grandjedi is coming from. Killing characters that viewers dont care about but other characters do to invoke the literal raw emotion needed for Simon to 'power up' creates a dissonance.

I agree that its a standard emotionally manipulative technique but I don't think that makes the episode terrible. Also it's not like these characters haven't been with us for most of the show even if they don't have the development of the main cast.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Say uh you remember that Davy Back Fight episode where Chopper took a second Rumble Ball shortly after the first?
Hehehehehehehehehe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom