• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Feb16| Dimension Dub-For-You

Status
Not open for further replies.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Really need to finish Steins;Gate on Vita. I think I'm on Ch. 4 or 5. Problem is I've reached the "I don't want to wait to hear the dialogue spoken, so I'll just speed-read 90% of it" point of a game.

If it was dubbed I'd probably have beaten it by now because I could turn it on audio when the dialogue starts happening, do some stuff, and then check the backlog for any non audio clips.

nFmibgt.gif

Seda

When it comes to character portraits and textboxes in video games:

If the audio is Japanese, I'll usually just turn it off and read. As I've said before, I kinda tune it out anyway and I'd rather just imagine voices in my head like you would most books. (Or like you would in older games)

If the audio is English, I'll keep it on if it's full audio, clicking through dialogue I'm not especially interested in but listen to lines that might be compelling or important. For something like Fire Emblem Awakening, the constant generic quips "Oh.....Yes milord.......indeed.........Quite.......Let's go..." I'll turn off.

For anything with animation, either audio is fine.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I don't normally comment on how good a Japanese audio track is because I barely understand any of it but for whatever reason I really enjoy the voices in Steins;Gate. Normally I'd just skip ahead and read everything, and I still do that at times while playing it, but so far have spent most of 20 hours just listening.

I never really point out Japanese voice acting as good unless it is above and beyond what I expected or straight up spectacular - Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju is a good example of that. Not to come off as a condescending weeb but its pretty much always good barring weird circumstances and the seiyuu industry is better in a lot of ways, but being an entertainment industry its still kinda shitty. You have video game voice actors going on strike because the pay is shit and they are treated poorly (I am sure this happens in Japan too at times) but there are tons of straight up schools for seiyuu in Japan because its far more respected and seiyuu get paid TONS of money. Like actual actor salaries and the breakthrough rate is similair to Hollywood actors - very, very small. If you want to get sad quick, look how much money a big name seiyuu like Kana Hanazawa gets paid compared to an animator or director on an anime project.

I'm not really sure why that is, because its not like theres no tradition for film, theatre, animation or games in America. All my knowledge just comes from various articles I've read (and Shirobako)

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I never really point out Japanese voice acting as good unless it is above and beyond what I expected or straight up spectacular - Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju is a good example of that. Not to come off as a condescending weeb but its pretty much always good barring weird circumstances and the seiyuu industry is better in a lot of ways, but being an entertainment industry its still kinda shitty. You have video game voice actors going on strike because the pay is shit and they are treated poorly (I am sure this happens in Japan too at times) but there are tons of straight up schools for seiyuu in Japan because its far more respected and seiyuu get paid TONS of money. Like actual actor salaries and the breakthrough rate is similair to Hollywood actors - very, very small. If you want to get sad quick, look how much money a big name seiyuu like Kana Hanazawa gets paid compared to an animator or director on an anime project.

I'm not really sure why that is, because its not like theres no tradition for film, theatre, animation or games in America.

Most of the VA pool in America are off Broadway tier actors, a decent amount with formal education in theater. The training and experience is there.

Soulflarz

Banned
Really need to finish Steins;Gate on Vita. I think I'm on Ch. 4 or 5. Problem is I've reached the "I don't want to wait to hear the dialogue spoken, so I'll just speed-read 90% of it" point of a game.

I do this in most games that don't have fully animated dialogue
the plots the same if I hear someone speak or not

Man God

Non-Canon Member
movies, games, etc

i have troubles making out what people say

ive even had my hearing checked twice in the last 5 years, and apparently its fine. but when it comes to listening i have difficulties.

Huh?

To be serious for a moment. No ringing or anything? So you're listening to people and it comes through a bit fuzzy? Like they are mumbling?

Soulflarz

Banned
movies, games, etc

ive even had my hearing checked twice in the last 5 years, and apparently its fine. but when it comes to listening i have difficulties.

O-oh

At first I thought that was a parody post, "I have trouble listening to others because I'm better!", not literal.
Sorry to hear :/

I keep subtitles on for ease of use, why risk missing dialogue when so much is said in a scene sometimes, and it occasionally is badly balanced?

Jarate

Banned
Also, in terms of watching things, I am by far the worst multitasker to ever exist on the planet, so with something like a show or something, I need to put 100% attention to it.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
is the canon version of Man God some unknown user named Mon Gad
God Man?

I keep subtitles on for ease of use, why risk missing dialogue when so much is said in a scene sometimes, and it occasionally is badly balanced?
Yeah, I like having subtitles in games & on TV because I'm more of a visual person & can read if I misheard something or didn't catch what they said.

....or something is being louder than the TV.

Also, in terms of watching things, I am by far the worst multitasker to ever exist on the planet, so with something like a show or something, I need to put 100% attention to it.

Depends on the show. I can play Hearthstone or do mindless daily shit in WoW while watching certain shows like Dagashi Kashi or Love Live but NOT with Erased.

Jarate

Banned
I dont think i can actively watch things and play video games, but I can listen to stuff while doing another really boring thing.

Ive been listening to a lot of Prog Rock recently while playing 2K16 cause I just use that game as a simulation type game.

I dont think i can actively watch things and play video games, but I can listen to stuff while doing another really boring thing.

Ive been listening to a lot of Prog Rock recently while playing 2K16 cause I just use that game as a simulation type game.

Oh yeah I've become a podcast gamer. I'll play through bad games like Watch_Dogs if I have a podcast on. I only beat that game because I had like 30 hours of Giant Bomb GOTY to listen to.

Jarate

Banned
I wish more people played Hex so I could play it more often :( That's a great podcast game, although I havent found a new podcast that really spoke too me.

I got through the first 5 books of the Wheel of time series while I truck drove. That was pretty swell I guess

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I wish more people played Hex so I could play it more often :( That's a great podcast game, although I havent found a new podcast that really spoke too me.

I got through the first 5 books of the Wheel of time series while I truck drove. That was pretty swell I guess

I spend a few months every other year or so relistening to all of them, even though around book 8 or so I get pretty burnt out.

Jarate

Banned
I spend a few months every other year or so relistening to all of them, even though around book 8 or so I get pretty burnt out.

The guy who does those audiobooks also does the Mistborn audio books if your interested. My friend really digs both series.

Ill get back to Wheel of Time eventually, I just have to come to grips with the fact that perrin will never be featured again and his story bits have been replaced by nyneave who is my least favorite character :|

Man God

Non-Canon Member
The guy who does those audiobooks also does the Mistborn audio books if your interested. My friend really digs both series.

Ill get back to Wheel of Time eventually, I just have to come to grips with the fact that perrin will never be featured again and his story bits have been replaced by nyneave who is my least favorite character :|

...There's too much I could say, so I won't say anything.

Grexeno

Koyasu's Dio is basically the one Japanese VA performance where I'm like "this is absolutely flawless. No other human could possibly portray this character better than this."

Jarate

Banned
Yeah, that VA is pretty much like the perfect VA for that role

The dub voice isnt that bad, but the dub reminds me a lot like a 90's action hero cartoon dub

Mizerman

movies, games, etc

Whoa.

is the canon version of Man God some unknown user named Mon Gad

Nah, Mon Gad is Man God's alternate timeline counterpart. She's a tsundere in that universe.

Moaradin

DIO is just one of those characters that is really hard for me to see any other person being. Even if Patrick Seitz did a decent job.

Gintoki is another one I can never picture anyone other than Sugita playing.

Line_HTX

I have y he insane high post rate like I do because I'm mashing on my phone every minute during Toonami and NFL games.

I'm honestly relieved that the season is over finally.

Soulflarz

Banned
I have y he insane high post rate like I do because I'm mashing on my phone every minute during Toonami and NFL games.

I'm honestly relieved that the season is over finally.

And I thought 15 a day way high :eek:

tbh toonami does it all.

Toonami=2 every 3 min probably for 2hr a week, which alone accounts for ~11 posts a day for me
>_>

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
And I thought 15 a day way high :eek:

tbh toonami does it all.

Toonami=2 every 3 min probably for 2hr a week, which alone accounts for ~11 posts a day for me
>_>
I'm averaging about 25 posts per day. Of course, I'm sure ToonamiGAF plays a big role during the blog.

Man God

Non-Canon Member

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
I like how near the end I become a Phantasy Star/.hack Spell name.

God damn it, now I'm hearing Mona Marshall yell out Gan Don.

Also, make a new game CC2! Or remaster the old ones. Hopefully the latest Naruto game covering up to the end means they can stay off that for a while........ wishful thinking I know

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom