• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Feb16| Dimension Dub-For-You

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jarate

Banned
Do they ever recruit new members for night raid in the manga, or are we stuck with these 3 sillies for the rest of time

Soulflarz

Banned
I have an Elgato HD60 for that along with a retron 5 to play mah physical games

I need a 1080p TV/Monitor that has sound out

Uhm
If it does HDMI in, it picks up the sound signal regardless of if it has any way to give it back to you normally (as in, you need headphones or something, no built in speakers)

So really any of those ASUS monitors w/ HDMI in should be fine?

Jarate

Banned
Nope. The core crew are the one we're stuck with.

cvD20gU.jpg

you are all good posters

except that one guy

He is pretty bad.

Dat fuckin guy.

He's always showing up and posting without a care in the world!

Give names or riot.

Che. I hate that guy.

I don't like that guy either. Or that other guy, too.

Hey guys! How's it hanging?

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
*reads Prison School ch. 205*

My god, Prison School is the gift that just keeps on giving. Season 2 needs to hurry up & happen. I hope the day comes where I can post that page/image here due to it being relevant to an episode we're watching.

Seda

so is prison school actually good or is it WOW WACKY FANSERVICE tripe

edit: For what I mean, Space Dandy from a surface-level perspective may same just 'fanservice tripe', but anyone who's watched it would not describe it that way.

so is prison school actually good or is it WOW WACKY FANSERVICE tripe

edit: For what I mean, Space Dandy from a surface-level perspective may same just 'fanservice tripe', but anyone who's watched it would not describe it that way.

Prison School is a mysterious beast. I legitimately, actually believe it is my favorite manga currently running and I read around 70 series that are continuing. A full 10/10. But I've always struggled to properly convey just what the appeal and mastery is. Prison School certainly leans into the perverted nature but in a way that is frankly genius and hard to explain, like it wouldn't be as great as it is if you removed the rampant sexual hi-jinks. It's inseperable. Hiramoto's previous series Me and the Devil's Blues was an extreme oddity of a manga - a drama manga about Robert Johnson, famous 1920's blues musician. A manga about a black man in America in the 1920s. Me and the Devil's Blues is spectacular, winding together the historical context, the myth about Johnson selling his soul to the devil on the crossroads at midnight in exchange for legendary musical talent and Hiramoto's amazing art. Prison School is like that...but raunchy, even more clever and with even better art. Some may say that Hiramoto may have made Prison School out of spite but I refuse to believe something so good can come out of spite. Prison School is really about how a bunch of 17-18 year olds view sex and the other gender through the most crazy and wacked-out lens possible.

I have a question. Does the Chairman ALWAYS talk like that?

Yes he....

DOES.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Both, I guess? Like, it does have its moments of "fanservice", but at times, I don't think it's actually meant to be stimulating.

It's hard to explain, but I think this ANN article (semi-NSFW pics/gifs) actually does a decent job explaining the appeal.

Though yes, someone seeing just a few pages might have the impression it's "fanservice tripe" considering some of the angles & such. But I will say I don't read it for the fanservice but the insane situations that happen & how they get out of them, along with just how serious the art style is and how the characters take said situations seriously as well.

That's the best way I can put it. At times, I'm awful at conveying my thoughts into words as to why I dis/like something. I'm sure someone else here who's a fan can probably do a better job.

*seesMetroidPrimeRib's post* Yeah, that's a good explanation.

Oh yes, that's a good one. The tension in Prison School is honestly UNBELIEVABLE for the ridiculous situations that occur. It's frankly amazing. Even as a fan of Noboyuki Fukomoto's works like Kaiji or Akagi about high stakes high tension gambling, I can say that Prison School somehow managed to make a situation about two people being under a mattress who both have to pee MORE TENSE then a Mahjong match to the death where people lose hundreds of ML of blood if they lose points.

Prison School is so good it doesn't even make fucking sense dude.

Seda

Thanks for the commentary.

I'll probably never watch it! (not because I'm actively avoiding it, but because I never watch most things), but Prison School certainly seems to have elements draw people to it other than fanservice alone, which is a dime a dozen in anime.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Prison School should be watched by everyone, its really hard to explain, but its kind of a cartoon American Pie
Huh, as someone who doesn't care for the movies, this seems like a good comparison. Anime-can Pie, but if the plot &/or characters were more serious.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Been alternating playing Steins;Gate and playing FFTA the past week or so.

When I play FFTA I usually put on One Piece and have now almost caught up with the far edge of the dub. After that I was thinking of catching up on Fairy Tail but I might watch Prison School first.

When I play Steins;Gate, however, you really can't do anything else.

Yeah I've compared it to American Pie before, but since I don't really like American Pie that much I've been trying to find a better reason. Not like I think I need some deep justification for liking a T&A comedy/drama but its a hard sell.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Really need to finish Steins;Gate on Vita. I think I'm on Ch. 4 or 5. Problem is I've reached the "I don't want to wait to hear the dialogue spoken, so I'll just speed-read 90% of it" point of a game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom