• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Jan14| See you, Space Cowboy. Hello, Space Dandy

Status
Not open for further replies.

LOLDSFAN

Happy New Year guys!!!
ijZhMFI6s8PrR.jpg

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Considering the talent pool of most voice actors is from less successful actors/broadway types the fact that most of them are rather attractive isn't really a surprise.

It's more surprising when you find a really butt ugly one!

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
you're a weird guy kayos

I saw the first 10 minutes and it was shit. Animation and music aside Space Dandy should get the same amount of bullshit that SAO does cuz it's basically on the same level. Looks good. Story and everything narrative related sounds like crap due to pandering.

Levyne

Banned
Sometimes kayos seems like a legitimate voice of reason and at other times a fountain of stupid.

Keeps things interesting.

bigkrev

Never change Kayos, never change.

Just got back from my party, Happy New Year all! I resolve to get less angry at SAO

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Enjoy the next two weeks of SAO. It's the highlight of this arc. Everything after is a bigger dive than.... well... lol.

Seda

Having not seen the show, I hope the comedic style of Space Dandy suits the sillyness and fanservice better than SAO, which tries to be super serious/dramatic and is laughable. Of course if the comedy falls flat...

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Having not seen the show, I hope the comedic style of Space Dandy suits the sillyness and fanservice better than SAO, which tries to be super serious/dramatic and is laughable. Of course if the comedy falls flat...

Pretty much, Dandy success is going to hinge on the jokes. If it works then it'll be glorious, if not it'll still be better than SAO.

Moaradin

That's the main problem with the fanservice in SAO. The show takes itself so seriously that it makes the fanservice stick out like a sore thumb. It doesn't fit the tone of the show at all.

Stuff like Kill la Kill and (presumably) Space Dandy is a lot more lighthearted and self-aware of it's fanservice.

That's the main problem with the fanservice in SAO. The show takes itself so seriously that it makes the fanservice stick out like a sore thumb. It doesn't fit the tone of the show at all.

you're telling me the random ass shots don't fit when a character is distraught over someone's death? :p

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
you're telling me the random ass shots don't fit when a character is distraught over someone's death? :p

Who would have figured?

On another note I got up to the promised day on my FMA:B rewatch. It's so easy to forget how incredibly well this series is put together, especially considering it's a serialized story. The internal logic is flawless and there's no plot holes or crazy dues ex moments. I love it.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Happeh New 2014! I know I never throught I'd be going into a year with a new iteration of Toonami a few years back... especially not a late-night version.

On the SAOII (Sa-oh-ee? Totally calling it "Sorry" now!) announcement... OK, bring it on. I've really got no problem with that. I much prefer that to some lame, non-animated fillershow mess that AS had as originals, and the fantasy element will always be something I enjoy seeing amongst the variety of shows on the block.

The only reason I'd hate on SAO II on Tonami... is if someone told me it took a spot from better fantasy works, like Slayers, Rune Soldier Louie, Lodoss, or even Log Horizon. But I don't believe they're fighting for the same spot, especially since many of them are too old for Toonami's standards...

awesome man!

It was fun pullin' that all together, and really feel odd to think we've got 52 weekends like that a year or so.

I swear this looks like it should be an eye-catch for a new episode of Regular Show, ha.

by the way.

Naraku is Myoga.

That's actually a voice connection I wouldn't have made. Skillz.

What if Shippo's voice actress broke into Shippo voice during sex?

I often wonder how Voice Actors must totally troll their families ever so often. Laura Bailey should make it a habit to go from Lust voice to Shin-Chan for instance.

Peter Cullen should be able to drop into the Optimus Prime voice whenever he needs children to pay attention. I'd have hated to have him as a school teacher, any speech he gave with a "Till all are ONE!" or "Light our darkest hour!" would have locked me into doing whatever schoolwork he said, and a "Roll out!" as the bell rings would be the coolest thing ever.

It's odd to many of us, but I wonder if it's intended audience finds it laughable? It could even be one of the most desirable elements of the show. I find it on average to be an unrefined version of something like Faye's fanservice moments in Ballad of Fallen Angels; the episode doesn't stop or hinge on the service, jokes (It took me a while to notice Spike's "Don't take it personally, I have my reasons!" reply to Faye's "So you'll really come for me?!"), or commentary, and character reactions don't really notice any of this... but the fans can totally grin and give each other knowing looks, as it's going on.

I just hope Dandy doesn't call out every servicey or "hot" moment that goes on around him; After we get past the "Boobies!" introduction, I hope they just accept it, and largely move on, with only a nod and wink afterwards.

Beyond SAO, I've never been a fan or making murder, death, or emotional moments "sexy". It's like having a guy tell a joke about a corpse in the middle of a funeral. Given the kind of things Japan is into, I'm sure SAO's minor use has no issue with many of them.

Seda

Who would have figured?

On another note I got up to the promised day on my FMA:B rewatch. It's so easy to forget how incredibly well this series is put together, especially considering it's a serialized story. The internal logic is flawless and there's no plot holes or crazy dues ex moments. I love it.

That's probably why I enjoy Brotherhood so much. Everything builds well from the beginning and there're not many odd or jarring twists in the narrative. The ultimate villain motivation and his demise is probably what disappoints me most from the show, but it's certainly nothing terrible to detract from everything that went up to that point. The zombies are a little weird though.

Jintor

That's probably why I enjoy Brotherhood so much. Everything builds well from the beginning and there're not many odd or jarring twists in the narrative. The ultimate villain motivation and his demise is probably what disappoints me most from the show, but it's certainly nothing terrible to detract from everything that went up to that point. The zombies are a little weird though.

a third party to fight for the plebs was needed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom