• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |JanFeb17| Super Saiyan Please?

Status
Not open for further replies.
raw

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
So glad I don't work tomorrow. Had to get in there live!

And now time for Shippuden to bring down the high...

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I love the one shot after Gon gets knocked flying and is spinning around head over heels several time and the camera is following his face. Great stuff. This is just the tip of the iceberg for HxH.

Ashby

They really gotta do something about this trash they use to fill out the back hour. Christ, put on two episodes of Cowboy Bebop or something.

But yeah, after the whole Killua/Illumi moment from the Hunters Exam, this fight was what really sold me on this series. I popped like hell when Gon landed that punch when I first watched it last year.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
That ending transition will always be god-tier. I don't think I know of another show with a better one TBH.

HxH gets another good one a little later on but it doesn't come close to this, nothing does.

So, now that I look back on it, Rock Lee v Gaara from Naruto plays out almost like that fight initially. (i.e. Lee jumping all over the place trying to get a hit in, Gaara not moving from his spot, then Lee finally getting in one good punch.) Did Kishimoto ever say he was a fan of Hunter x Hunter?

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
This announcer is no Koto. More Juri level.

Togashi has a thing for cute announcer girls

So, now that I look back on it, Rock Lee v Gaara from Naruto plays out almost like that fight initially. (i.e. Lee jumping all over the place trying to get a hit in, Gaara not moving from his spot, then Lee finally getting in one good punch.) Did Kishimoto ever say he was a fan of Hunter x Hunter?

Well, people have noted that a lot of early Naruto just seems to ape HxH

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
That ending transition will always be god-tier. I don't think I know of another show with a better one TBH.

HxH gets another good one a little later on but it doesn't come close to this, nothing does.

it's even better than the Roundabout transition, which is saying something

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?

Yeah its called Naruto the series

pirata

Wow, I was expecting that punch to happen much later in the series! But I suppose it has been a long time, and Gon has worked hard for it...but I have a feeling Hisoka (got the name right this time) isn't going to let Gon feel too good about himself.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
So, now that I look back on it, Rock Lee v Gaara from Naruto plays out almost like that fight initially. (i.e. Lee jumping all over the place trying to get a hit in, Gaara not moving from his spot, then Lee finally getting in one good punch) Did Kishimoto ever say he was a fan of Hunter x Hunter?
Early Naruto is very very inspired by HunterxHunter

Great ending there.

I hesitate to call that entire episode a good one though. Most of it was an explanation that, even hearing it a second time, I'll most likely forget again and me finding myself identifying with a character who got thoroughly treated like utter shit by the narrative on behalf of not being super-ultra special like the two born winners.

If that ending hadn't happened, I'd have left this episode feeling pretty shitty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom