• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |JanFeb17| Super Saiyan Please?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I mean from my perspective, most of today's posts from the early airing don't really say anything meaningful without context, but this is obviously something to think about going forward.

Just lock the thread on Saturdays until 11:30.

This is not a serious suggestion.

Yeah I think spoiler tags for actual plot details of the 8pm showing should suffice. This is the Toonami thread not the Adult Swim thread and the 8pm showing of Super isn't technically part of Toonami. Its no different then if someone posted impressions from a subbed episode of Super.

Seda

Maybe people should just use the spoiler tag during the 8pm airing? That way they can still discuss without the rest of the thread reading?

Yeah I think spoiler tags for actual plot details of the 8pm showing should suffice. This is the Toonami thread not the Adult Swim thread and the 8pm showing of Super isn't technically part of Toonami. Its no different then if someone posted impressions from a subbed episode of Super.

Yeah that seems reasonable and fits the logical and typical thread parameters.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
We can't really start Toonami at 8, not unless we want pages of watching reruns of Fox cartoons.
I can summarize how it goes

Bob's Burgers is great!
American Dad is actually kind of funny!
Family Guy and The Cleveland Show need to be nuked from orbit!

Regiruler

I'm still reeling how different my list is compared to what "won".

Does anyone remember what won best moment last year? Was the mom scene from parasyte even an HM?

Man God

Non-Canon Member
We can't really start Toonami at 8, not unless we want pages of watching reruns of Fox cartoons.
I can summarize how it goes

Bob's Burgers is great!
American Dad is actually kind of funny!
Family Guy and The Cleveland Show need to be nuked from orbit!
People regularly posted about Black Dynamite and Boondocks when they came before the block.

Guys, I'm watching Toonami.....IN HIGH DEFINITION TONIGHT!

That's right, I've caught up to the early 2000's.

Who knows? I might blow past you guys and rocket right into the future?

Seda

Samurai Champloo for best ending is a little odd. I feel like Fuu's confrontation with her father was well done, government assassin dude against Jin was OK, and Mugen versus revenge-seeking mooks was not so good. Plus some weird decisions like Mugen surviving explosions or Jin surviving after using 'last resort self sacrificing strategy' thing against the strongest foe he faces.

e: I'm not trying to criticize your consensus, I just felt like pointing out one winner I disagree with at a glance. I can see it still winning based on specific components of the ending and in comparison to the other nominations.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Guys, I'm watching Toonami.....IN HIGH DEFINITION TONIGHT!

That's right, I've caught up to the early 2000's.

Who knows? I might blow past you guys and rocket right into the future?
lol hd is so mid-2000s, everyone's into 4k now

Nah, congrats. I actually was able to watch Toonami in HD just a few months ago when I moved into my apartment since when I was living with my dad, only the upstairs TV got HD while my room still had SD.

I still remember when I moved up to HD gaming via getting HDMI for my 360, it was such a "holy crap, THE FUTURE" moment.

Moaradin

Yeah Champloo winning that is pretty odd to me. Guess I'll need to listen to the deliberations to see how that happened.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I must say Champloo winning is very surprising, I could've sworn most people weren't happy with how abrupt it felt. I look forward to listening to the reasoning. Probably will do it Monday night since I like to save podcasts for when I'm at work.

Grexeno

Reposting all this for a new page:

Here is the awards show! It's broken into two episodes, each about 2 and 1/2 hours long. The podcast feed should also update soon for those who use a podcast app.

Episode 37 "ToonamiGAF Awards 2016 Part 1"
Part 1 of 2 of the 2016 ToonamiGAF Awards covering Best OP, Best Ending, Best Promo, Best Soundtrack, Worst Moment, Best Moment, Worst Looking Show, Best Looking Show, Worst Ending and Best Ending.

Episode 38 "ToonamiGAF Awards 2016 Part 2"
Part 2 of 2 of the Toonami GAF Awards 2016 covering Best Fight, Best Villain, Worst Character, Best Character, Best Cast, Biggest Disappointment, Best Surprise, Most Wanted Show, Best Male Voice, Best Female Voice, Best Dub, Worst Show and Best Show.

Full awards results:

BEST OPENING THEME

Winner: JoJo ~That Blood's Destiny~ - JoJo's Bizarre Adventure OP 1
Runners-up:
Battlecry - Samurai Champloo OP
The Hero!! Set Fire to the Furious Fist - One-Punch Man OP

BEST ENDING THEME

Winner: Roundabout - JoJo's Bizarre Adventure ED
Runners-up:
Song of Four Seasons - Samurai Champloo ED
Hunting for Your Dream - Hunter x Hunter ED 2

BEST PROMO

Winner: Dreams 2016 Speech
Runners-up:
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure Promo
You're Not Alone

BEST SOUNDTRACK

Winner: Samurai Champloo
Runners-up:
Hunter x Hunter
One-Punch Man

WORST MOMENT

Winner: Leone's death (Akame ga Kill!)
Runners-up:
Cell survives his own self-destruction because reasons (Dragonball Z Kai)
The Froggy Song (Naruto Shippuden)

BEST MOMENT

Winner: Jiraiya's death (Naruto Shippuden)
Runners-up:
Zeppeli accepts his death (JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Phantom Blood)
Mumen Rider takes on the Deep Sea King (One-Punch Man)

WORST LOOKING SHOW

Winner: Dragonball Z Kai
Runners-up:
Akame ga Kill!
Naruto Shippuden

BEST LOOKING SHOW

Winner: One-Punch Man
Runners-up:
Samurai Champloo
Hunter x Hunter

WORST ENDING

Winner: Parasyte
Runners-up:
Akame ga Kill!
Dimension W

BEST ENDING

Winner: Samurai Champloo
Runners-up:
One-Punch Man
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Phantom Blood

BEST FIGHT

Winner: Saitama vs. Boros (One-Punch Man)
Runners-up:
Jonathan vs. Dio - Mansion Fight (JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Phantom Blood)
Usopp vs. Perona (One Piece)

BEST VILLAIN

Winner: Dio Brando (JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Phantom Blood)
Runners-up:
Perona (One Piece)
Hisoka (Hunter x Hunter)

WORST CHARACTER

Winner: Absalom (One Piece)
Runners-up:
Karin (Naruto Shippuden)
Kana (Parasyte)

BEST CHARACTER

Winner: Brook (One Piece)
Runners-up:
Jiraiya (Naruto Shippuden)
Saitama (One-Punch Man)

BEST CAST

Winner: One Piece
Runners-up:
Hunter x Hunter

BIGGEST DISAPPOINTMENT

Winner: Dimension W
Runners-up:
Parasyte
Bad music videos

BEST SURPRISE

Winner: FLCL Season 2 & 3 announced
Runners-up:
Hunter x Hunter acquired
JoJo acquired

MOST WANTED NEW SHOW

Winner: Mob Psycho 100
Runners-up:
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders
Lupin III Part 4

BEST PERFORMANCE BY A VOICE ACTOR

Winner: Ian Sinclair as Brook (One Piece)
Runners-up: Patrick Seitz as Dio Brando (JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Phantom Blood)
David Lodge as Jiraiya (Naruto Shippuden)

BEST PERFORMANCE BY A VOICE ACTRESS

Winner: Cristina Valenzuela as Killua (Hunter x Hunter)
Runners-up:
Erica Mendez as Gon (Hunter x Hunter)
Felecia Angelle as Perona (One Piece)

BEST DUB

Winner: Hunter x Hunter
Runners-up:
One Piece

WORST SHOW OF THE YEAR

Winner: Dimension W
Runners-up:
Akame ga Kill!
Naruto Shippuden

BEST SHOW OF THE YEAR

Winner: One-Punch Man
Runners-up:
Samurai Champloo

Chase17

I'd guess I have to think about how I understand ending to pick. While the Boris fight is my favorite ending episode of these, nothing about it is feels like much of an ending to the series (to me anyways). And that makes sense since it's not a series finale.

While Jojo has a more definitive ending (/set up for next part) I thought the episode wasn't the best/kind of clumsy, although I respect some of the decisions in it.

Haven't actually seen Samurai Champloo though so I can't really compare.

Will be interested to listen to the discussion.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I'm glad to see Kana was at least nominated for worst character.

Because, Jebus, that character.

That one was one hell of an argument, as was best male VA, and best character.

Maybe my own myopia, but I am surprised to see Brook win Best Character.

Johnathan couldn't get it because he was in all of a single episode and we haven't seen enough of him, odds are he wins this year. That part's definitely worth a listen to, along with the above ones and others.

I can't tell if people using 'bias' as an adjective is a meme or just a common mistake.

Same with people adding an extra 'o' to 'lose'.

Laziness on my part, unless it work related my correct use of words/pronouns/yadayada, tends to be a bit iffy especially as it gets latter in the day...and how sober I am as well (slightly tispy with a third cup of Cuba Libre sitting next to me).

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Also Keith Silverstein as Hisoka not making the top 3 for best voice performances is crazy to me.

Especially considering there's nothing at all noteworthy about David Lodge's performance as Jiraiya. I mean, he's...fine. There's certainly nothing wrong with it. It's a solid, serviceable performance. Hell, it wouldn't even be inaccurate to say he's one of the best in Naruto's dub in general. He does a good job in the role. But Naruto's dub in general is mediocre at best, so that's not the highest of praise.

I would rate literally all of the male-voiced Straw Hats above his performance, for example, not to mention about half the cast of One Punch Man, Leorio and Hisoka in Hunter X Hunter, both Mugen and Jin in Champloo, and Zeppeli and both Jojos, just off the top of my head.

Especially considering there's nothing at all noteworthy about David Lodge's performance as Jiraiya. I mean, he's...fine. There's certainly nothing wrong with it. It's a solid, serviceable performance. Hell, it wouldn't even be inaccurate to say he's one of the best in Naruto's dub in general. He does a good job in the role. But Naruto's dub in general is mediocre at best, so that's not the highest of praise.

I would rate literally all of the male-voiced Straw Hats above his performance, for example, not to mention about half the cast of One Punch Man, Leorio and Hisoka in Hunter X Hunter, both Mugen and Jin in Champloo, and Zeppeli and both Jojos, just off the top of my head.

Even Speedwagon. :p

janoDX

I like the English Dub adaptation of the OP of DBS.

Actually the lyrics are the same that you find in the Crunchyroll version and they flow perfect.

cntr

Banned
The Phantom Blood dub is so bizarre, because the clips sound awful, but the full show becomes amazing

The Phantom Blood dub is so bizarre, because the clips sound awful, but the full show becomes amazing

It's like, you can tell all the VAs are chewing the scenery, especially JYB and Patrick Seitz. I've heard complaints about the dub online in the past, but I personally really enjoyed it.

BatDan

It's likely the Stardust Crusaders dub will drop the accents. At least going by all the footage released.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
It's like, you can tell all the VAs are chewing the scenery, especially JYB and Patrick Seitz. I've heard complaints about the dub online in the past, but I personally really enjoyed it.

I think those who complain are the ones who have only seen clips. For some reason it just doesn't work when you only see a clip, you have to see entire episodes. The context of the show is what makes it work I think.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
It's likely the Stardust Crusaders dub will drop the accents. At least going by all the footage released.

That's because
nobody is British in Stardust Crusaders. Well, one of them is technically, but by that point he's been living in the US for so long he may as well be American.

BatDan

That's because
nobody is British in Stardust Crusaders. Well, one of them is technically, but by that point he's been living in the US for so long he may as well be American.

True
but the little bit of Dio we heard had him drop the accent too, and he had only been free for about five years. I guess they didn't want to get too silly, especially with Polnareff.

That's because

Other than Old Man Joseph, who loses his accent. Makes me wonder if they'll give an accent to Polnareff though.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I think those who complain are the ones who have only seen clips. For some reason it just doesn't work when you only see a clip, you have to see entire episodes. The context of the show is what makes it work I think.
I want to say some of the complaints were towards Part 2 mainly. In fact, I THINK one of the major "this voice just doesn't work" characters will appear tonight.

BatDan

I still can't believe there's a movie called "The Bye Bye Man" coming out.

"Fuck You it's January" indeed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom