• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |JanFeb17| Super Saiyan Please?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
If by Kai you mean the first part? No, that was Kenji Yamamoto, who had his music removed after he was caught plagiarizing it. Kai's soundtrack was sloppily replaced with Kikuchi's work (which is good, but doesn't work in Kai due to poor editing).

Kai:TFC and Super are composed by Norihito Sumitomo.

Yamamoto's soundtrack was the best though. Loved it and hated to see it replaced on the reissued Blu-rays. :/

Since I missed the last two weeks of Super I caught up via the Japanese version...man I hate most of the voices in that. Fuck Grandma Goku + Sorta Grandma Gohan, Child Krillian, not cool sounding Piccolo and King Kai.

Seda

Japanese King Kai sounds bored all the time. That certainly can work for some characters but it's just so different for him.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
wouldn't you be bored too if you had nothing to do on a small planet where it only takes 2 minutes to circle around by foot & your only source of entertainment was a car that you somehow have fuel for (& honestly serves no purpose), a grasshopper, & a monkey?

I don't see any TVs on Kai's planet, & the internet doesn't seem to exist.

cntr

Banned
yeah the original dub of The Vision of Escaflowne cut the series from 24 episodes to 13, and removed the main character because she's a girl

Moaradin

Is the old dub even any good? Seems like it came out at a time where dubs were sketchy most of the time.

edit: Seems like it had problems if it made that many changes.

Where have you been? Funimation kickstarted a new dub, heck some of us funded it. Dub is fantastic of the few episodes I watched.
I didn't find out it got redubbed till I read a review about it that Funimation posted on Facebook. I still have the original DVD's and I actually like the Ocean dub of it. How is Dilandau and Folken? They're my favorite characters. I thought Andrew Francis played Dilandau's manic behavior pretty well and I liked Paul Dobson as Folken most of the cast is pretty good too.
yeah the original dub of The Vision of Escaflowne cut the series from 24 episodes to 13, and removed the main character because she's a girl
They finished the dub, Fox just stopped airing it cause well...that shit got dark. I think Hitomi was still in it...it's been a lot of years since I've seen the original broadcast.
Is the old dub even any good? Seems like it came out at a time where dubs were sketchy most of the time.

Old dub had most of the Gundam Wing cast. Ocean was doing pretty decent dubs back then. The show got edited more cause of mature content on a kids block than actual problems with the content itself.

Seda

Speaking of poor dubs: I'm watching Gundam Zeta dub (usually so I can more easily do something else while I watch) and I almost feel like it's gotten worse as I've gone on. Were these some of the first Ocean group dubs?

Speaking of poor dubs: I'm watching Gundam Zeta dub (usually so I can more easily do something else while I watch) and I almost feel like it's gotten worse as I've gone on. Were these some of the first Ocean group dubs?
Zeta Gundam dub is the G Gundam team. I think Ocean was doing the Writer's Strike at that moment of time, or at least that's what I think was the case. I think Ocean Group did Xmen Evolution probably around this time too.

Seda

Zeta Gundam dub is the G Gundam team. I think Ocean was doing the Writer's Strike at that moment of time, or at least that's what I think was the case.

I saw Ocean mentioned in the credits but the actors are definitely different than MSG so that might make sense.

I feel like with the UC, the OVAs and Movies got better dubs than the actually tv anime.

cntr

Banned
0k51pH4.jpg

the original dub of Nausicäa

Soulflarz

Banned
8:00 - Dragon Ball Super - 4 - Bid for the Dragon Balls! Pilaf and Crew's Impossible Mission!
8:30 - Samurai Jack - 3 - The First Fight
11:30 - Dragon Ball Super - 4 - Bid for the Dragon Balls! Pilaf and Crew's Impossible Mission!
12:00 - Dragon Ball Z Kai: The Final Chapters - 102 - A Monster is Spirited Away! The Culprit is Great Saiyaman?
12:30 - JoJo's Bizarre Adventure - 14 - Ultimate Warriors from Ancient Times
1:00 - Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn RE:0096 - 4 - Full Frontal's Pursuit
1:30 - HUNTER×HUNTER - 36 - A Big Debt × And × A Small Kick
2:00 - Naruto Shippuden - 143 - The Eight-Tails vs. Sasuke
2:30 - One Piece - 377 - The Pain of My Crewmates Is My Pain! Zoro's Desperate Fight!
3:00 - One-Punch Man - 12 - The Strongest Hero - END

you save me missing a show every week on average more than you could ever know

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
the original dub of Nausicäa

I saw this on Nickelodeon at my Grandma's house back in the day... and couldn't remember for YEARS what it actually was. I thought "The girl" died in the quicksand at the end of something I came into the middle of, and didn't figure out I had a fracture memory of a fractured Naussicäa until many, many years later.

I'm surprised this version barely seems to exist online anywhere... I want to watch it sometime, to see how off my memories were.

Seda

do we know what the goodie is this week?

i saw one of their editors was working on the Samurai Jack trailer but that doesn't really guarantee this week

Pre-Flight just had a non-Toonami music video (Moon Duo or something?). Apparently the artist asked Jason to put the video on air.

Has Jason himself actually acknowledged Samurai Jack's March 11 date yet? I know Adult Swim has on their social pages.

Tonight on Toonami, Bulma's birthday cruise gets some unwanted party crashers as Pilaf's gang shows up in search of the Dragon Balls, Gohan attempts to rescue a young pterodactyl from the circus but in doing so he may just blow Great Saiyaman's cover, Speedwagon and Joseph are off to Rome to meet a new ally and follow up on Stroheim's warning that more Pillar Men have been discovered, Banagher faces questions from the Federation about his role in piloting the Unicorn Gundam, Gon makes good on his promise and returns Hisoka's badge after finally landing a punch to the clown's face but that's just the beginning of the two's showdown in the Heavens Arena, Sasuke and Taka do battle with the Eight Tails' jinchuriki Killer B, with nearly all of Thriller Bark knocked out from Kuma's Ursus Shock there's only one thing standing between Kuma and Luffy's unconscious body: the Pirate Hunter Roronoa Zoro, and finally Saitama bows out but not before going blow for blow with the most powerful being in the galaxy.

8:00 - Dragon Ball Super - 4 - Bid for the Dragon Balls! Pilaf and Crew's Impossible Mission!
8:30 - Samurai Jack - 3 - The First Fight
11:30 - Dragon Ball Super - 4 - Bid for the Dragon Balls! Pilaf and Crew's Impossible Mission!
12:00 - Dragon Ball Z Kai: The Final Chapters - 102 - A Monster is Spirited Away! The Culprit is Great Saiyaman?
12:30 - JoJo's Bizarre Adventure - 14 - Ultimate Warriors from Ancient Times
1:00 - Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn RE:0096 - 4 - Full Frontal's Pursuit
1:30 - HUNTER×HUNTER - 36 - A Big Debt × And × A Small Kick
2:00 - Naruto Shippuden - 143 - The Eight-Tails vs. Sasuke
2:30 - One Piece - 377 - The Pain of My Crewmates Is My Pain! Zoro's Desperate Fight!
3:00 - One-Punch Man - 12 - The Strongest Hero - END
Hype.gif

This is gonna be dope.

Pre-Flight just had a non-Toonami music video (Moon Duo or something?). Apparently the artist asked Jason to put the video on air.

Has Jason himself actually acknowledged Samurai Jack's March 11 date yet? I know Adult Swim has on their social pages.

I'm not sure he has, which is a little weird.

Maybe he doesn't want to acknowledge it until they actually work out what the schedule is gonna look like and he knows he'll get flooded with questions about that even more than he probably is already.

cntr

Banned
That made me legit angry when I first saw that. Corporate assholes with no idea or care about the material they were selling; just pissing on artistic integrity.
On the bright side, it was so bad that Ghibli stopped any cuts or censorship of their stuff from happening ever again.

Finally caught up with what I missed last week. Better late than never I suppose.

IIRC it's the same Ocean Dub on the Bandai DVD's, just horribly butchered and 4kids'd for Fox Kids. They never did anything like that for the DVD's.

People will tell you otherwise but it was pretty good for 2001 and still holds up today IMO. The reason for the redub was because they obtained extended footage that was previously only available in Japan (and Italy).

Zeta Gundam dub is the G Gundam team. I think Ocean was doing the Writer's Strike at that moment of time, or at least that's what I think was the case. I think Ocean Group did Xmen Evolution probably around this time too.

It also had the side effect of having the OG Gundam characters have different VA's for one of the Gundam games. IE Brad Swaille as 0079 Amuro, Matthew Erickson as Zeta Amuro.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Guess I'll have to take a break from Yakuza 0 and Jojo Diamond is Unbreakable and jump into Toonami in a bit

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
On the bright side, it was so bad that Ghibli stopped any cuts or censorship of their stuff from happening ever again.

The story about it is pretty badass. They sent them a katana with the words "no cuts".

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
i look forward to db super further finding ways to confuse me, the new viewer, by not explaining anything about certain characters just changing because i didn't see buu saga or whatever

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom