• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |JanFeb17| Super Saiyan Please?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Part one is okay. Really the best part about it is its dope ass opening. Fumoffu is one of the funniest things animated period and Second Raid is what if Showtime picked up the show.

Seda

Steve Blum has been voicing randoms in Star Wars stuff for forever. What's amusing is sometimes he voices Imperials and sometimes rebellion people. He's also one of the main Rebels characters too.

Chase17

Looks like Viz is finally releasing the Boruto movie. The game adaptation is going to end up releasing a month ahead of the source haha.

I was watching last week's JJBA dub and forgot about Joseph randomly doing the I pulled my finger off joke. Him being voiced by Numbah One works really well if you picture Joesph as grown up with the mind of a child.
Edit: I hope one of you used the obvious Crawling In My Skin joke here too.

HxH ep 24:
An entire gang got their shit stomped in by a 10 year old girl...god damn Canary better be a girl. I've been fooled by so many HxH "girls." Who is voicing Killua's mom in this?

So to kinda reiterate my thoughts from the podcast this week since I think Zonic is like the only one who listens to that sometimes, the way I perceive Gundam Unicorn changed a lot this past week.

Like, I understood the recap. I recognized those events happening, and none of it really said to me "oh, NOW it makes sense." I got it the first time around. And yet I still find the show to be a bit hard to follow at times, even though I have the broad and the medium-sized strokes of the plot.

After seeing a lot of the character exchanges and plot developments (the father thing in particular and I guess not doing a lot with the setting of those first three episodes), I'm leaning toward thinking that Gundam Unicorn is just a bit confusing in the way something that's super ANIME! tends to be confusing; me knowing any UC continuity doesn't seem like it would help outside of I guess Banagher exhibiting Newtype personality traits. I think Unicorn is just written to be oddly cryptic and vague in a way that doesn't always feel 100% intentional.

Am I wrong in thinking this?

Do not...I repeat... DO NOT MISS TOONAMI TONIGHT.

This is one of the strongest episode lineups we've had in years.
They better watch Jojo. Why does Silva sound like Crispin Freeman...who's voicing him? The dub didn't get this far when I originally started watching HxH. Man when Killua has his conversation with Silva it's that moment when I realized that Killua has a better dad than Gon...it was...unnerving to say the least.

Seda

Doesn't DB Super episode 4 have half-assed animation? Was that touched up at all?

Also, I'm going to marathon the main UC Gundam shows before I start watching Unicorn. I like Zeta's opening, musically. Feels like something you'd hear at a jazz club. More thoughts on the actual show later.

The HxH dub is pretty new - took several years to materialize after the Japanese airing. Toonami has the dub premiere which started last April.

Also, I'm going to marathon the main UC Gundam shows before I start watching Unicorn. I like Zeta's opening, musically. Feels like something you'd hear at a jazz club. More thoughts on the actual show later.
Zeta's 2 OP's are actually more or less covers of 2 Neil Sedaka songs. The second one is actually one of my absolute favortie OP's of all time. I think the ED is a Sedaka song as well.
Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam OP 1 - Better Days Are Coming (Neil Sedaka)
This is the ED: Neil Sedaka - "Bad And Beautiful" (1976)
You can experience the second OP for yourself.

Regiruler

Too many sugary liquids and popcorn in my system.

DSOD was fun though. Stopped by a dave and busters clone in the theater's mall that was pretty pathetic with how many prize games it had to try this light gun game I never heard of called "Monster Eye". I was surprised to find that it was basically Deadstorm Pirates with a fun charge storage mechanic and some FMV QTEs that reminded me of the wii (but were thankfully pretty accurate most of the time).

Doesn't DB Super episode 4 have half-assed animation? Was that touched up at all?

It's the 5th episode where the production crashed for an action scene.

It was cleaned up tho. It's still not great or even good looking, but it's not completely awful now.

Grexeno

So to kinda reiterate my thoughts from the podcast this week since I think Zonic is like the only one who listens to that sometimes, the way I perceive Gundam Unicorn changed a lot this past week.

Like, I understood the recap. I recognized those events happening, and none of it really said to me "oh, NOW it makes sense." I got it the first time around. And yet I still find the show to be a bit hard to follow at times, even though I have the broad and the medium-sized strokes of the plot.

After seeing a lot of the character exchanges and plot developments (the father thing in particular and I guess not doing a lot with the setting of those first three episodes), I'm leaning toward thinking that Gundam Unicorn is just a bit confusing in the way something that's super ANIME! tends to be confusing; me knowing any UC continuity doesn't seem like it would help outside of I guess Banagher exhibiting Newtype personality traits. I think Unicorn is just written to be oddly cryptic and vague in a way that doesn't always feel 100% intentional.

Am I wrong in thinking this?
I still watch.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
It gives me something to listen to during work & is interesting to get other opinions about the block.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Tonight on Toonami, Bulma's birthday cruise gets some unwanted party crashers as Pilaf's gang shows up in search of the Dragon Balls, Gohan attempts to rescue a young pterodactyl from the circus but in doing so he may just blow Great Saiyaman's cover, Speedwagon and Joseph are off to Rome to meet a new ally and follow up on Stroheim's warning that more Pillar Men have been discovered, Banagher faces questions from the Federation about his role in piloting the Unicorn Gundam, Gon makes good on his promise and returns Hisoka's badge after finally landing a punch to the clown's face but that's just the beginning of the two's showdown in the Heavens Arena, Sasuke and Taka do battle with the Eight Tails' jinchuriki Killer B, with nearly all of Thriller Bark knocked out from Kuma's Ursus Shock there's only one thing standing between Kuma and Luffy's unconscious body: the Pirate Hunter Roronoa Zoro, and finally Saitama bows out but not before going blow for blow with the most powerful being in the galaxy.

8:00 - Dragon Ball Super - 4 - Bid for the Dragon Balls! Pilaf and Crew's Impossible Mission!
8:30 - Samurai Jack - 3 - The First Fight
11:30 - Dragon Ball Super - 4 - Bid for the Dragon Balls! Pilaf and Crew's Impossible Mission!
12:00 - Dragon Ball Z Kai: The Final Chapters - 102 - A Monster is Spirited Away! The Culprit is Great Saiyaman?
12:30 - JoJo's Bizarre Adventure - 14 - Ultimate Warriors from Ancient Times
1:00 - Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn RE:0096 - 4 - Full Frontal's Pursuit
1:30 - HUNTER×HUNTER - 36 - A Big Debt × And × A Small Kick
2:00 - Naruto Shippuden - 143 - The Eight-Tails vs. Sasuke
2:30 - One Piece - 377 - The Pain of My Crewmates Is My Pain! Zoro's Desperate Fight!
3:00 - One-Punch Man - 12 - The Strongest Hero - END

Tonight on Toonami, Bulma's birthday cruise gets some unwanted party crashers as Pilaf's gang shows up in search of the Dragon Balls, Gohan attempts to rescue a young pterodactyl from the circus but in doing so he may just blow Great Saiyaman's cover, Speedwagon and Joseph are off to Rome to meet a new ally and follow up on Stroheim's warning that more Pillar Men have been discovered, Banagher faces questions from the Federation about his role in piloting the Unicorn Gundam, Gon makes good on his promise and returns Hisoka's badge after finally landing a punch to the clown's face but that's just the beginning of the two's showdown in the Heavens Arena, Sasuke and Taka do battle with the Eight Tails' jinchuriki Killer B, with nearly all of Thriller Bark knocked out from Kuma's Ursus Shock there's only one thing standing between Kuma and Luffy's unconscious body: the Pirate Hunter Roronoa Zoro, and finally Saitama bows out but not before going blow for blow with the most powerful being in the galaxy.

8:00 - Dragon Ball Super - 4 - Bid for the Dragon Balls! Pilaf and Crew's Impossible Mission!
8:30 - Samurai Jack - 3 - The First Fight
11:30 - Dragon Ball Super - 4 - Bid for the Dragon Balls! Pilaf and Crew's Impossible Mission!
12:00 - Dragon Ball Z Kai: The Final Chapters - 102 - A Monster is Spirited Away! The Culprit is Great Saiyaman?
12:30 - JoJo's Bizarre Adventure - 14 - Ultimate Warriors from Ancient Times
1:00 - Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn RE:0096 - 4 - Full Frontal's Pursuit
1:30 - HUNTER×HUNTER - 36 - A Big Debt × And × A Small Kick
2:00 - Naruto Shippuden - 143 - The Eight-Tails vs. Sasuke
2:30 - One Piece - 377 - The Pain of My Crewmates Is My Pain! Zoro's Desperate Fight!
3:00 - One-Punch Man - 12 - The Strongest Hero - END
I really do like all your previews.

Raxus

Going to be glued to the block tonight. Aside from the DBZ episodes (I don't recall their quality very much other than the trend they have been pretty good) the others are verified A-A+ material.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom