• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Jul15| Sentai finally noticed us!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Well, more of "will older shows from Adult Swim anime era return" & less "will my favorite show air". Not as bad.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Questions have been much better this time around, even that one weird one which lead to a funny story from Steve Blum.

Also wow they premiered a Daft Punk music video.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
So I guess they don't follow us. That explains how we got SAO and SAO2.

Now to go onto Twitter and make sure we get USHIO AND TORA

ckohler

Not terrible but I think their Momocon panel was better (sans its Q/A). Steve Blum was a real pro (not surprising) and Sara's segment was great. The cosplay was fun, too. I get the impression there were only like 12 people in the audience so that kinda kept the energy low.

Bang! was a good idea on paper but the execution was... well.

SHoufGi.jpg

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Whew, caught up on Adventure TIme. Miss any Toonami announcements? *reads* Nope.

Oh, Batman vs Superman trailer *watches* ..... Uhhhhhhhh... Is this really what you're going with?

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I thought Bang was gonna be some kind of cute "haha, keep track of what gets mentioned during the Q&A BECAUSE OF MOMOCON" joke, not an ACTUAL game of Bingo which had no prizes whatsoever so there wasn't even really a point.

I kind of wish they tied it in similar to when they picked "when is the comic coming" & they answered the question (this fall). When they picked "reruns", I was hoping they'd say what show would return to replace AoT.

I also have to say I feel like SDCC just "happened" this year. I don't know why, I keep forgetting it was happening this week, maybe there just wasn't a ton of big announcements that I cared about.

Jarate

Banned
Y'all can hate on the previous Superman all you want, but those were the best live action fights between "super powered" people.

If that was a DBZ film, everyone would love that shit.

Honestly, I think the Marvel movies are better as films, but I honestly find them more boring then I ever thought Man of Steel was.

Raxus

Y'all can hate on the previous Superman all you want, but those were the best live action fights between "super powered" people.

Honestly, I think the Marvel movies are better as films, but I honestly find them more boring then I ever thought Man of Steel was.
You know what DBZ warriors do when they are in a populated area.

They go to a deserted area. Even Goku understands damage control. Goku!

I really wish you would stop taking honest criticisms of Man of Steel as 'hating'.

I didn't like the film and have many reasons why I see it went wrong.

The problem with Man of Steel's action at least in context of that movie alone is that the fight was so over the top and there was so much damage caused by the fight that it lost sense of reality and felt more like a video game fight then a real fight. Someone made the joke that Bat vs Sup is retroactively trying to make MoS a good movie by addressing the fact Superman's presence and fight at the end of MoS lead to a great deal of death and collateral damage and I 100% agree with that notion. Say what you will about the Marvel films, but in almost every film they go to a great length during the big action scenes to have the super heroes save as many people as they can.

Crocodile

Was out all day. Seems I missed the Toonami Comic Con event. Hard to put together all your scattered thoughts but it seemed everyone here was underwhelmed overall?

So Parasyte was their big Comic-Con announcement that got spoiled by a massive bus a week earlier at Anime Expo. lmao

I assumed that was a Anime Expo announcement that got leaked early. It was a Comic-Con announcement? LOLOLOLOLOLOL

Well considering Superman =/= DBZ, I would think that some people might be turned off if they went in expecting A and got B instead.

Just Sayian!

Jarate

Banned
You know what DBZ warriors do when they are in a populated area.

They go to a deserted area. Even Goku understands damage control. Goku!

I really wish you would stop taking honest criticisms of Man of Steel as 'hating'.

I didn't like the film and have many reasons why I see it went wrong.

And I fully agree that it was "out of character" for Superman to do that in.

Maybe im not as mad because after the Tornado scene I gave up all hope that the story would be coherent and make sense and that it would just be a cool thing to watch

It reminded me of an old Arnie film tbh.

The problem with Man of Steel's action at least in context of that movie alone is that the fight was so over the top and there was so much damage caused by the fight that it lost sense of reality and felt more like a video game fight then a real fight. Someone made the joke that Bat vs Sup is retroactively trying to make MoS a good movie by addressing the fact Superman's presence and fight at the end of MoS lead to a great deal of death and collateral damage and I 100% agree with that notion. Say what you will about the Marvel films, but in almost every film they go to a great length during the big action scenes to have the super heroes save as many people as they can.

"losing reality" would happen in a fictitious setting, especially with 2 characters who are canonically stronger then anything we could even comprehend. The action scenes were great in that regard, and really gave weight and power to characters when in other films, "powerful" characters dont look or feel powerful at all.

Grexeno

Was out all day. Seems I missed the Toonami Comic Con event. Hard to put together all your scattered thoughts but it seemed everyone here was underwhelmed overall?
Well, Parasyte was their big show announcement. Which, as you've seen, is not good because we knew about it at Anime Expo. They showed a teaser for it, Pre-Flight had no sound. They showed the first minute of Intruder II but the stream was down so no one saw it. And then they played bingo. For no prizes.

Remove the technical issues and the boring game of BANG! in the middle and it was basically just another Pre-Flight episode that happened to have Steve Blum and some Q&A at the end. In that view it was pretty good overall, with those issues it felt overly padded for no reason.

And I fully agree that it was "out of character" for Superman to do that in.

Maybe im not as mad because after the Tornado scene I gave up all hope that the story would be coherent and make sense and that it would just be a cool thing to watch

It reminded me of an old Arnie film tbh.

"losing reality" would happen in a fictitious setting, especially with 2 characters who are canonically stronger then anything we could even comprehend. The action scenes were great in that regard, and really gave weight and power to characters when in other films, "powerful" characters dont look or feel powerful at all.

Even the dumb Arnold films generally had heart and character to them, or had simple enough plots that worked in the context of Arnold. And we can comprehend the power of two super strong fighters, there are many many MANY films, games, comics, etc that have depicted two super strong characters fighting far better then man of steel did. On a technical and special effects level the fight was great sure in a turn your brain off and shove popcorn in your mouth way but the moment you think about it for a second you realize this is wrong. Even the bad original Superman films (3 and 4) understood what makes Superman work as a character it's not that he's some alien with super powers that fights other super power foes, it's the human side of his character and how he uses those powers to save people AND beat the bad guy AND save the town from too much collateral damage. Using a RLM esque line here "Man of Steel is a shiny object you dangle in front of a cat, so if you're a cat you'll like the movie".

Jarate

Banned
Even the dumb Arnold films generally had heart and character to them, or had simple enough plots that worked in the context of Arnold. And we can comprehend the power of two super strong fighters, there are many many MANY films, games, comics, etc that have depicted two super strong characters fighting far better then man of steel did. On a technical and special effects level the fight was great sure in a turn your brain off and shove popcorn in your mouth way but the moment you think about it for a second you realize this is wrong. Even the bad original Superman films (3 and 4) understood what makes Superman work as a character it's not that he's some alien with super powers that fights other super power foes, it's the human side of his character and how he uses those powers to save people AND beat the bad guy AND save the town from too much collateral damage. Using a RLM esque line here "Man of Steel is a shiny object you dangle in front of a cat, so if you're a cat you'll like the movie".

Only movie that did 3d action better was Asuras Wrath
c wut I did there
There was some incredibly well done fights in that movie. I also dont understand this narrow viewpoint of what Superman needs to be. I think the story was heavily flawed, and arguably incredibly shallow, but just because it's a Superman flick, doesnt mean he has to abide by this concept of what Superman needs to be. If we base it off of other "Superman" canons, then I guess it's out of character, but it's his own universe, and his own character, then why cant he do what he wants with him?

But then again, one of my least favorite things about the Western comic industry is the predefined "superheros" that a constant swirl of authors and artists have to abide by.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Trinity Blood...Blood +

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
Good lord, Trinity Blood was easily the most boring show they ever showed on Toonami/Adult Swim. Totally on my top 5, maybe even 3 worst shows. I still don't know why I bothered to watch all of it, but even then, I can't remember any of it.

Blood+ was........okay for the most part. Also boring, as I also can't remember much about it after all these years, but it took a while for it to get boring.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom