• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Jul15| Sentai finally noticed us!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Y'all can hate on the previous Superman all you want, but those were the best live action fights between "super powered" people.

If that was a DBZ film, everyone would love that shit.

Honestly, I think the Marvel movies are better as films, but I honestly find them more boring then I ever thought Man of Steel was.

Funny you mention that, because during MOS fight scenes, I thought, "This is live-action DBZ."

But for me, it was even harder to suspend my disbelief because everything looked real - it's like my brain will happily go along with wonton destruction in animated form, but I'm taken completely out of it if there's a degree of realism.

It's probably why the first Hobbit movie felt so off to me too. There was so much CGI - especially in the mine scene - that it just took me out of it. (And I felt how they used the camera made things really hard to follow, too.)

Only movie that did 3d action better was Asuras Wrath
c wut I did there
There was some incredibly well done fights in that movie. I also dont understand this narrow viewpoint of what Superman needs to be. I think the story was heavily flawed, and arguably incredibly shallow, but just because it's a Superman flick, doesnt mean he has to abide by this concept of what Superman needs to be. If we base it off of other "Superman" canons, then I guess it's out of character, but it's his own universe, and his own character, then why cant he do what he wants with him?

But then again, one of my least favorite things about the Western comic industry is the predefined "superheros" that a constant swirl of authors and artists have to abide by.

Super heroes don't have to abide by any kind of canon or view point of what a Super Hero needs to be, we have stuff like Watchmen and GotG which subvert super hero tropes and we have stories like Death and Return of Superman or Dark Knight Returns which takes traditional heroes and does a unique spin on them and does it well.

Man of Steel does none of these things, it tries to be a by the numbers Superman origin tale which it does ehh to okay enough for the first two acts. In the third act the film goes completely over the top with a fight that while technically impressive and well choreographed is tonally inconsistent with the rest of the film. It's not that Superman acts out of character in terms of Superman, he acts out of character in terms of how he's set up in the first two acts AND how he acts after the fight and how people react to him. Even if the fight is nowhere near as impressive the fight between Superman and Zod in Superman 2 is a better fight because it has more impact and is a better pay off in that film then the same fight between those characters in MoS.

Jarate

Banned
Funny you mention that, because during MOS fight scenes, I thought, "This is live-action DBZ."

But for me, it was even harder to suspend my disbelief because everything looked real - it's like my brain will happily go along with wonton destruction in animated form, but I'm taken completely out of it if there's a degree of realism.

It's probably why the first Hobbit movie felt so off to me too. There was so much CGI - especially in the mine scene - that it just took me out of it. (And I felt how they used the camera make things really hard to follow, too.)

The Hobbit had issues that were related more to how it was presented, rather then it relying too heavily on CGI, (although the use of a Digital camera, and having pretty mediocre CGI did not help them at all)

But the action scenes in those were more of a problem of something that I don't like about live action fighting with superpowered characters, is they dont have the weight needed, and they dont really move like they would if they were superpowered. I remember a scene with the elf dude with a bow (cant remember his name) jumping on some falling rocks as he was moving to another platform, in theory that would be really cool, but it looked like a normal person just hopping on some stones in a creek, rather then a super nimble and super athletic superhuman elf jumping from one stone to the next.

Im not trying to defend MoS as some type of incredible film making barometer, but it had some damn good action scenes that I think people ignore in favor of the "SUPERMAN DOESN'T KILL PEOPLE" narrative.

Finally, a Toonami tumblr preview I can get excited about!
tumblr_nr5fljjU9C1rvb8cmo1_400.gif

OMG CALL THE FUCKING POLICE ALREADY!
Probably the only 3 seconds in the entire season where Kirito isn't winning, and I should try to cherish it.

So because we have a definitive number of DBZ Kai episodes now and I'm too lazy to play video games or watch anime but motivated enough to count I checked when the series would end assuming it never skips any weeks DBZ Kai will end December 23rd 2017 if we get the Buu Saga. If for some strange reasons we don't get the Buu saga Kai will stop airing on October 22nd 2016. Now if we want to REALLY go crazy we can peg November 22nd 2019 as the date Dragon Ball Super could possibly end on Toonami assuming they were to air it instantly after the Buu saga ends.

Grexeno

So because we have a definitive number of DBZ Kai episodes now and I'm too lazy to play video games or watch anime but motivated enough to count I checked when the series would end assuming it never skips any weeks and if a new episode of kai airs every week the show will end December 23rd 2017 if we get the Buu Saga. If for some strange reasons we don't get the Buu saga or for those who are curious when the current officially released English episode will stop airing that date is October 22nd 2016. Now if we want to REALLY go crazy we can peg November 22nd 2019 as the date Dragon Ball Super could possibly end on Toonami assuming they were to air it instantly after the Buu saga ends.
There is something really off about these dates.

There is something really off about these dates.

Well they assume that Kai will always air an episode every week no matter what, I may end up being off a week or two and of course there's no guarantee Toonami will get/air Super right after Kai ends they're more likely to air both simultaneously if they get Super. If you wish to double check the calender be my guest. Kai is airing episode 31 out of 98/159 depending upon if you want to go by when the Cell saga ends or when the Buu Saga ends.

Grexeno

Well they assume that Kai will always air an episode every week no matter what, I may end up being off a week or two and of course there's no guarantee Toonami will get/air Super right after Kai ends they're more likely to air both simultaneously if they get Super.
Oh, I misread the Dragon Ball Super date as the start date instead of end date.

I wouldn't discount the possibility that Super airs alongside Kai for a time.

Oh right, there was a new episode of Super today........

Including the one that airs tonight, the next few KLK episodes are critical. Hoping nobody here misses them.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Tonight on Toonami, Goku's arrived and ready to kick some ass, our hero Lady Satsuki takes on the villainous Ryuko once again, Hatchin takes on a job in a restaurant, Kazuto and Shino wrap up the Death Gun case and Shino is introduced to her fellow harem-mates, Naruto gets some waterfall training while Hidan and Kakuzu set their sights on the Fire Temple, Franky and Robin are reunited with the other Straw Hats who were rescued by Kokoro as the utter annihilation of Enies Lobby nears completion, and Eren settles in with his new mates in the Scouts.

8:00 - Dragonball Z Kai - 30 - The Nightmare Recoome! Come Out and Play, Vegeta!
12:00 - Dragonball Z Kai - 31 - Goku Arrives At Last! Take Down the Ginyu Force!
12:30 - KILL la KILL - 21 - Incomplete
1:00 - Michiko e Hatchin - 3 - Like a Frantic Pinball
1:30 - Sword Art Online II - 14 - One Little Step
2:00 - Naruto Shippuden - 73 - Akatsuki's Invasion
2:30 - One Piece - 307 - Cannon Fire Sinks the Island! Franky's Lamentation!
3:00 - Attack on Titan - 15 - Special Operations Squad: Eve of the Counterattack, Part 2

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
I believe tonight's DBZ has one of the hypest moments in the series.

Speaking of, my local theater is showing Resurrection F next month. I am so there.
Then again, they show RiffTrax Live so showing Resurrection F makes sense.

Seda

wow is the framerate in new pokemon as bad as the commercial makes it seem?

also amused how the majora's mask clip feature fierce deity link

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
wow is the framerate in new pokemon as bad as the commercial makes it seem?

also amused how the majora's mask clip feature fierce deity link

Yeah... X/Y/OR/AS are not technical marvels. The battles are the only part of the game where 3D is enabled.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom