• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Jun14| Lu Lu Lala Lu

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's up with all the subbed anime during Symbiotic Titan
Y8reiVX.jpg

So after watching last weeks SBT next to last weeks Jack episode I think I've nailed my biggest complaint with SBT. Both Jack and SBT show that Genndy is a master of story telling though visuals, the whole french sequence in SBT, the lighting when Octis was attempting to block the radio waves, when Jack was running though the fields with the girl, when Jack was traveling great distances, etc all these scenes tell us so much with minimal or no dialogue at all. We get far more out of these scenes when when Octis goes on about "am I a machine or a human". Even Genndy's clone wars series IIRC had a lot of scenes with minimal dialogue where the actions and art told us everything we needed to know.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I've been watching soccer all afternoon, the world cup is so exciting even though I have no idea what's going on most of the time lol

I was out most of the day so I'm catching up now. Love the game and there's been some pretty great matches so far. Today anyway, outside of Netherlands vs Spain (which was amazing) there have been a lot of games fucked up by bad refs.

Raxus

less than 3 hours to Toonami, I have my candy, I am settled in after a long long long day traveling, BleachGAF is still trolling. Let's do this.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
-Blank-

Argh, been awake all day, and went to try and play Smash Bros. In line from like 1 to 4:30 to only get to play for 2 minutes. Couldn't do 2 rounds because our lines were long. I'm devoid of energy and ideas, and... It's time to start up the cover for Sketch Dump!

No rest before Toonami tonight! Forget the 6 and a half hour Challenge! How about the 21.5 hour challenge?!? WOHOO!

*Dons Sakurai's "DIRECT!" pose.... deflates... back to DUMP'n...*

So should I watch that BtB episode again now that I'm not half asleep? Did I miss anything important in terms of Katana becoming fem-robin?

Nothing about the show is important. (= . =) But Eggman's son had a role as a villain, so there's that!

Seda

So should I watch that BtB episode again now that I'm not half asleep? Did I miss anything important in terms of Katana becoming fem-robin?

Basically:

The green sword thing steals souls. Katana took the sword from the League of Assassins and kept it. She tells Alfred this story.

Bishop, can you please not post gifs of events that have not aired yet? It's technically violating the spoiler rule.

this

That's the Toonami tumblr GIF, but it still comes from tonight's episode.

And they like to spoil.

Plot Twist:

Lagoon doesn't air Tonight, last minute hiatus. lul.

mine does, too. and i'm pretty sure this isn't the first time the online schedule has had an episode number blank anyway.

Yeah, they assume :p

Still though, AoT was blank for July 5th and guides listed it as rerunning. ( This is the day that the Dandy marathon is happening. )

Tenumi

Banned
...You know, I'm only really looking forward to One Piece and Black Lagoon tonight. Not sure I want to spend the effort staying up for two shows.

Yeah, I know, I'm never here on Saturdays anymore...

Man God

Non-Canon Member
So waiting for TOONAMI to begin I decided to go back to MH3U to kill some time.

So I took on my next urgent quest to kill this Cadeus thing.

and...I won! With less than five minutes left on my first attempt! What a rush!

Attack on Titan is weird. on one hand, i think i have a handle on its absurdly over-the-top nature and generally accept it. but even then, with it in the back of my mind that "yeah, this is going to go nuts with the screaming and the crying", it still manages to go further than i think it should. and this comes from someone who likes One Piece quite a bit.

LOLDSFAN

So tonight I'll be watching with a different setup. I no longer have a 50 inch tv so I'll be hooking up the cable box with my computer monitor. Will still use laptop for NeoGAF.

Who knows maybe in the long run this will be more convenient.
wtzgU.gif

Man God

Non-Canon Member
It's likely I'll be silent most of the early part of the night because I should be having an impromptu vidja game night tonight with a friend. Should be back in full force by the end of the night though.

Next week is a travel week though because of where I'm going it shouldn't effect posting much at all, though I guarantee I won't be doing too much in the thread proper from Friday-Wednesday.

Seda

Attack on Titan is weird. on one hand, i think i have a handle on its absurdly over-the-top nature and generally accept it. but even then, with it in the back of my mind that "yeah, this is going to go nuts with the screaming and the crying", it still manages to go further than i think it should. and this comes from someone who likes One Piece quite a bit.

I feel similarly. Not sure how to best word it - One Piece and Attack on Titan of both include extremely over-the-top scenes and can be quite melodramatic at times. However, One Piece does a better job blending that element with the tone/animation/music/characters/storyline/subjectmatter. Those moments don't feel out-of-place / it fits better.....somehow. It's also somehow oddly consistent.

Attack on Titan however has a different tonality to it, and the subject matter (survival) is certainly poles apart from OP. Again, being terrible at pointing out specifics here, there's something about the juxtaposition between <what is actually happening>&<how events are portrayed> that is a little uneasy.

So, screw one piece im gonna start this before that now
(Ive actually seen a decent bit of it but not in order lol)

j3CPs3z.gif

so I caught up to Attack on Titan for tonight and god damn this show gets dark.

I'm really sad I missed children murdering slave traders live.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
In case you missed Monday's new episode of The Boondocks (which is likely considering it was E3), they're about to air it now.

It was.... dumb. Really really dumb.

I feel similarly. Not sure how to best word it - One Piece and Attack on Titan of both include extremely over-the-top scenes and can be quite melodramatic at times. However, One Piece does a better job blending that element with the tone/animation/music/characters/storyline/subjectmatter. Those moments don't feel out-of-place / it fits better.....somehow. It's also somehow oddly consistent.

Attack on Titan however has a different tonality to it, and the subject matter (survival) is certainly poles apart from OP. Again, being terrible at pointing out specifics here, there's something about the juxtaposition between <what is actually happening>&<how events are portrayed> that is a little uneasy.

i thought about this, too. it's maybe that Attack on Titan is a little more...grounded, so the outbursts stand out to a much larger degree. but i honestly can't put it into words, because i think it sells One Piece short to just say "it's more cartoony, so the over the top parts are fine." it's more complicated than that, but it's hard to articulate the difference.

Moaradin

Real shame about Boondocks. I was hopeful after the first couple episodes. They weren't anything amazing but they weren't bad either. I just completely gave up after the kardashian episode.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom