• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |JunJul16| You Thought It Was Dragon Ball Super, But It Was ME, DIO!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Well this is interesting, Crunchyroll to get into the dubbing business, not to mention release said dubs on DVD/Blu-Ray. This includes:

- Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress
- Berserk (new series)
- Twin Star Exorcists
- Free! (I thought Funimation had this)
- Yamada-kun and the Seven Witches
- Big Order
- Myriad Colors Phantom World
- Gintama (well, this'll be interesting to see how they handled dubbed)

I can't help but wonder if Crunchyroll would bother to team up with Toonami to premiere some dubs....though I'll guess "no" since they'd want people to check out the dubs on their own streaming service.

Well this is interesting, Crunchyroll to get into the dubbing business, not to mention release said dubs on DVD/Blu-Ray. This includes:

- Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress
- Berserk (new series)
- Twin Star Exorcists
- Free! (I thought Funimation had this)
- Yamada-kun and the Seven Witches
- Big Order
- Myriad Colors Phantom World
- Gintama (well, this'll be interesting to see how they handled dubbed)

I can't help but wonder if Crunchyroll would bother to team up with Toonami to premiere some dubs....though I'll guess "no" since they'd want people to check out the dubs on their own streaming service.

Free's rights are weird. Funimation only has the rights to season 2.
I'm really interested in what they'll do with the Gintama dub.

Gintama is over 300 episodes, and it's not really popular here.

Not to say I dislike Gintama, or the idea of it being dubbed, but I do question the choice to dub it.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks

Not to say I dislike Gintama, or the idea of it being dubbed, but I do question the choice to dub it.
I recall the main issue is translating some jokes because they only really work in Japanese (i.e. word play, puns, etc.) & I recall Sentai's dub of one of the Gintama movies was.....well, not all that good...

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.

I remember Viz used to release the manga here, but then cancelled it after 23 volumes.

Gag manga doesn't seem to do well here. Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo got it really bad. They started on Volume 11 and only released up to Volume 15. Then again, that's a series that's really difficult to translate without just making everything up.

I remember Viz used to release the manga here, but then cancelled it after 23 volumes.

Gag manga doesn't seem to do well here. Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo got it really bad. They started on Volume 11 and only released up to Volume 15. Then again, that's a series that's really difficult to translate without just making everything up.

The English dub of Bo^7 really was remarkable in how well it worked.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Not to mention they did a one-shot that wasn't even numbered & all the releases were REALLY noticeable on the fact they just started randomly at whatever arc.

.....actually, so you're saying they only released 6 volumes of the manga here? I own the "one-shot" and 1 through 4 of the manga, maybe I should look for the 5th just to be "complete".

But yeah, I think that series was trying to capitalize on the fact the series was airing on Toonami.

Articalys

Free's rights are weird. Funimation only has the rights to season 2.
I'm really interested in what they'll do with the Gintama dub.
What's also interesting with Free is that it was part of the small group of titles that Crunchyroll published sub-only to DVD through Discotek early last year:

http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-ne...rtner-for-home-video-release-of-select-titles

Three of them (Free included) were released a few months later, and the other two were delayed for an upgrade to a BD/DVD release, with one coming this month and the last one still undated.

I wonder if whatever the sales/reception outcome was from that is part of what led to this decision.

Mizerman

I recall the main issue is translating some jokes because they only really work in Japanese (i.e. word play, puns, etc.) & I recall Sentai's dub of one of the Gintama movies was.....well, not all that good...

Pretty much. Unless they're gonna make everything up for overseas folk, then it's not gonna do to well.

Shame.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Demarco's "Pre "1500 person room panel" face":

CmU4cAgUMAAfPON.jpg

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Weird that Parts 1 & 2 are separate. Now I just hoped they're priced decently.

Also, Warner Bros. still owns the DVD rights, it seems, so it's just Blu-Ray.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Man, they're STILL filling in the panel room, how much longer until it starts? It's already 30 minutes late....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom