• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |JunJul16| You Thought It Was Dragon Ball Super, But It Was ME, DIO!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
*Peeks at latest Bleach Chapter*

Didn't these guys die last arc? Why the fuck are they back? This all reads duex ex machina as hell :/

When you die in Bleach you go to spirit realm. If you have high spiritual pressure or whatever you can use awesome powers...which they could already do. So as a death it ranks up there with something from DBZ or YYH.

That and they already showed up two years ago training to fight in this fight.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I won't deny that I enjoy some stupid shit sometimes. Stuff like Inferno Cop and Ninja Slayer are a guilty pleasure of mine.
Inferno Cop is hilarious.

Ninja Slayer's joke kind of stopped being funny a few episodes in & had no idea what it wanted to focus on, which is a shame because I enjoyed the first episode or two, but then the cheap animation loses its appeal when it wants to be more serious. Still, I can see why it can be considered a guilty pleasure.

& on Berserk, I feel like part of the reason it's popular this season is the announcement of the new game, which in turn will have people wanting to check it out to see the hype behind the game/series....despite the quality it might have.

Putting aside that metric (I'm not convinced its the best to use or that Crunchyroll views will necessarily translate to TV ratings - I'd feel more comfortable if the overwhelming online consensus was that Berserk 2016 was good), I'll certainly concede that Berserk 2016 has more mainstream appeal than a superlative show such as say Ping Pong. I don't think most would argue against that? As someone who is interested in seeing Toonami succeed and stick around, I have no desire to burden it with shows I think are good but know would be a hard sell to the Toonami audience. At the same time, I'm not going to champion shows that I think are deficient in some way. I can understand why Toonami execs might pick them up but that doesn't mean I have to be enthused nor does it mean I would withhold my criticism of said show. As an example, a Toonami filled with SAO and SAO clones is not a block I'm going to sit down and watch.

I never championed Berserk 2016 for the block, I'm just pointing out a far bigger reason for it to not come is that I can see the "losing faith in humanity/as audience " posts if it aired in this thread. The show has too much nudity to air on toonami without costly edits. And I think the CR popularity is as good a metric as any since other anime that have rated well on their have done well on Toonami (Parasyte, Sao, AgK, and aot off the top of my head) was highly rated on it and did very well on Toonami as well regardless of the shows quality. Sure you can argue correlation not causation but the point I initially raised was how popular it was and how well it'd do regardless of quality.

The problem with anime has always been a lot of anime fans really couldn't give a shit about the animation part of it they care more about the action and characters telling stories that can't usually be replicated in other forms of media. The new Berserk series still has a lot of those great Berserk story moments like in episode 2 when Guts is tortured while ridiculing god and Francese or in episode 1 when he has to kill the girl. Yes they look ass ugly but if you don't care about animation that innate Berserk story is so gripping you easily look past it. If you aren't a manga reader or don't really remember the fine details of the story the changes won't impact you for the most part. There are also people who fall into the middle who can acknowledge the obvious flaws but are just happy to have any form of animated Berserk and are willing to deal with God awful CGI and rewrites to get it.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Yea, I think Beserk 2016 looks way too much like dogshit to ever get real consideration from Toonami.

They aired Beware the Batman (basically for free) so they have no standards in that regards if the price is right...completely free.

Even ignoring the nudity or the ass art style the biggest question for Berserk 2016 is since CR is dubbing it would they let Toonami air one of their dubs?

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Even ignoring the nudity or the ass art style the biggest question for Berserk 2016 is since CR is dubbing it would they let Toonami air one of their dubs?

Depends on whether they think they are competing for attention or using it as great advertising. Aniplex sales went waaay up by airing SAO first, and the real reason there aren't any Aniplex shows on the block right now is that they don't have anything big/action-y enough, with a couple of those shows that could have qualified were eaten up by Netflix.

I'd say they'll probably stay away for now. Berserk is the only thing that could air stylistically and it would take real ass edits.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Depends on whether they think they are competing for attention or using it as great advertising. Aniplex sales went waaay up by airing SAO first, and the real reason there aren't any Aniplex shows on the block right now is that they don't have anything big/action-y enough, with a couple of those shows that could have qualified were eaten up by Netflix.

The worrisome thing about Aniplex is they have a couple of Toonami candidates and one of them is Asterisk War.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
The worrisome thing about Aniplex is they have a couple of Toonami candidates and one of them is Asterisk War.
Not to mention one of the AW games is getting localized (which is rather surprising), meaning they could work out a deal where they air commercials of the game in order to promote it.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.

Not to mention one of the AW games is getting localized (which is rather surprising), meaning they could work out a deal where they air commercials of the game in order to promote it.

Oh dear god...
*remembers Digibro's series*

Depends on if they release a new episode or not. If they do it might not be until October or so.

The status on their site says 33% and in the writing stage.

Seda

I don't know much about Berserk, and I might be underestimating its popularity, but its chances on Toonami seem like quite a longshot.

Mizerman

I guess you could say fans are going BERSERK over the new anime.

7-nfVF.gif

Soulflarz

Banned
I don't know much about Berserk, and I might be underestimating its popularity, but its chances on Toonami seem like quite a longshot.

beserk got a ton more popular with american fans after DS from what I can tell
as in beserk went from something no one knew among my friends irl and twitter to 'the thing that constantly inspired our favorite designer, praise miyazaki!'

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Phew, finished Ch. 4 of Tokyo Mirage Sessions just in time for Toonami. I gotta say, it feels so nice being able to stick with a console RPG after quite some time (I think the last console RPG I actually finished was Ni no Kuni in 2013). Now I just hope I can do the same with FF15 (I KNOW I'll stick with Persona 5 considering how long I've had to wait).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom