• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |JunJul16| You Thought It Was Dragon Ball Super, But It Was ME, DIO!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jarate

Banned
Also, I suggest everyone in this thread play Furi at some point. Reminds me a lot like Asuras Wrath, except take the amazing story and replace it with amazing gameplay instead

Asura's Wrath is probably one of the best action animes of all time.

Also, I suggest everyone in this thread play Furi at some point. Reminds me a lot like Asuras Wrath, except take the amazing story and replace it with amazing gameplay instead

Someone described it as Radiant Silvergun meets Metal Gear Rising. It easily in my top 10 goty's

Soulflarz

Banned
Asura's Wrath is awesome. Especially the DLC.

Asuras wrath is just an anime
It's TTGL in game form. At no point is the game aspect hard or why you're there, that's for sure. All in all, DLC is needed for the real ridiculous and A-tier ending, would suggest.

Furi? Mini review time! Apologies for it being fairly negative, if only because I get the feeling everyone has heard all the good aspects to death if you were interested in the game at all.

It...was interesting to play through to say the least. Furi takes very heavy inspiration from Suda51 games in how the story is told. The special thanks list makes it quite obvious where they drew specific ideas from, as you can generally pair art/mechanics/story to a specific developer that is mentioned. The art style is very appealing and the character designer is the man who did Afro Samurai's characters. The music accompanies the game very well.
The game itself however? Well, I'd be lying if I said there aren't some issues with it. The game sells itself on being hard, but...they in many cases intentionally failed certain aspects game design in many ways to make it artificially hard rather than completely skill based. An example of this was the minor delay on the dash, as it is adding artificial difficulty to your experience that doesn't need to be there in this game. Another example of this issue is how melee attacks that can be blocked glare white before the attack, but every single attack in the game has a different time after that before it has active hitboxes (as in, some attacks have a white flash as they're a quarter second from hurting you, while some do it closer to a second before the attack hits you). This is bad and requires you to learn it through eating hits or getting lucky your first time. I game over'd 6 times in my playthrough - I would not say the game is particularly hard, but yes, it will take a decent bit of pattern recognition and adaptability if you're trying to not memorize all the patterns before clearing fights. Humorously, the game does take the time to remind you that you're awful compared to the developers for such a 'difficult game' - I cleared the game in less time than some gaffers had been stuck at the third boss alone and laughed at my D ranks for having failed a pattern a few times, even if I had maimed a boss with ease.
The last issue of note is the inconsistent difficulty- some bosses can be stunlocked into repeat patterns for 80% of their health bars by simply hitting them before their guard breaks between patterns and parrying their counter after they block it followed by maiming them without learning any mechanics. This is the polar opposite of a boss towards the end who cannot be hurt 2/3rds of the fight and has instakill as a mechanic and a gauntlet to survive that just reminds you of the frustration behind the artificial difficulty of the dash. I got two of my game overs there alone, and ended up wasting a half hour clearing mindless parts of the fight to get back to it.

That being said, the game itself is rather fun, with stylish combat and and a bullet hell aspect that keeps you hooked throughout your playthrough. The block system feels great when you're not dealing with the annoyance of the parry indicator going off at an inconsistent time, and dodging through the bullet hells to slash at a boss after their pattern ends feels great. Overall, it's worth your time. The flaws are there, but none of them on their own are bad enough to ruin your experience, and the good definitely outweighs the bad. However, I would warn people against going into this game expecting an experience similar to Revengeance or a Treasure game, since this game truly is its own thing. You can dodge through many bullets or parry them, so it's not going to have the same tense fear of a shmup, and the sword sections are rather easy if you remember that parrying gets you HP back.

I'll score it because I wrote enough.

Even if Toonami could air Berserk 2016and was willing to pay to censor all the boobs the series has, the real reason y'all don't want it is because the casual adult swim audiences would eat it up since they couldn't give a rat's ass about the jank animation or how much worse it looks compared to the manga since it's so dark and guts is so awesome it would make a killing in ratings.

Kinda strange that on Adult Swim's website you can watch episodes 1-4, 6-7, and 9-10 of Hunter x Hunter. Why not 5 and 8?

Anyways, what episode will be airing of Hunter x Hunter and Parasyte tonight?

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Kinda strange that on Adult Swim's website you can watch episodes 1-4, 6-7, and 9-10 of Hunter x Hunter. Why not 5 and 8?

Anyways, what episode will be airing of Hunter x Hunter and Parasyte tonight?

11:30 - Dragonball Z Kai - 77 - Beyond Super Saiyan! Vegeta Confronts the Monster Cell!
12:00 - Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans - 5 - Beyond the Red Sky
12:30 - HUNTER×HUNTER - 11 - Trouble × With × The Gamble
1:00 - Samurai Champloo - 26 - Evanescent Encounter (Part 3) - END
1:30 - Naruto Shippuden - 118 - Formation!
2:00 - One Piece - 352 - A Belief Worth Begging to Live for!! Brook Defends His Afro
2:30 - Parasyte -the maxim- - 11 - The Blue Bird

Later.

THE FINAL DELETION OF BROTHER MUGEN.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Tonpa just wants to see hope crushed by despair huh? Feel like I have heard that line before.

Kamen_Rider_Wizard.jpg

Crocodile

*Peeks at latest Bleach Chapter*

Didn't these guys die last arc? Why the fuck are they back? This all reads duex ex machina as hell :/

Even if Toonami could air Berserk 2016and was willing to pay to censor all the boobs the series has, the real reason y'all don't want it is because the casual adult swim audiences would eat it up since they couldn't give a rat's ass about the jank animation or how much worse it looks compared to the manga since it's so dark and guts is so awesome it would make a killing in ratings.

Like I know you like to subscribe to the "AnimeGaf/ToonamiGaf is full of monocles that don't understand the wants and desires of the mainstream anime fan" sentiment but is it really too much to ask for more out of our entertainment? Irregardless of how strong the Berserk source material is, nothing about this looks like a good adaptation. There isn't a shortage of quality action animation in the world (though we could always use more). There's no need to settle. Plus I'm not so sure why you're confident people would put up with something that looks like ass - poor writing seems like something that is easier to forgive for the average viewer. We all want Toonami to succeed but that doesn't mean we have to settle for subpar stuff. Shit if all we cared about was ratings, Toonami would be better off a seven episodes of Family Guy :p

I also find that pushback against bad CGI cartoons isn't necessarily limited to enthusiast circles; people are a whole lot less forgiving there because it doesn't look the way they're used to cartoons looking.

Crocodile

I also find that pushback against bad CGI cartoons isn't necessarily limited to enthusiast circles; people are a whole lot less forgiving there because it doesn't look the way they're used to cartoons looking.

I'd also think (I obviously don't know this for a fact) that your average Western animation consumer would be more critical of bad CGI because they are exposed to more excellent/good/serviceable CGI than you average Eastern animation consumer. Pretty much every CGI cartoon that CN has aired has been better than what little I've seen of Berserk 2016.

BatDan

Didn't these guys die last arc? Why the fuck are they back? This all reads duex ex machina as hell :/

They did die, and then they went to Soul Society.
It's easy to forget that Soul Society is meant to be the afterlife. Especially when the dead can die again.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I'd also think (I obviously don't know this for a fact) that your average Western animation consumer would be more critical of bad CGI because they are exposed to more excellent/good/serviceable CGI than you average Eastern animation consumer. Pretty much every CGI cartoon that CN has aired has been better than what little I've seen of Berserk 2016.

Beware the Batman had better CGI and that's saying something. Berserk seems like it's below Reboot tier from what I've seen.

Like I know you like to subscribe to the "AnimeGaf/ToonamiGaf is full of monocles that don't understand the wants and desires of the mainstream anime fan" sentiment but is it really too much to ask for more out of our entertainment? Irregardless of how strong the Berserk source material is, nothing about this looks like a good adaptation. There isn't a shortage of quality action animation in the world (though we could always use more). There's no need to settle. Plus I'm not so sure why you're confident people would put up with something that looks like ass - poor writing seems like something that is easier to forgive for the average viewer. We all want Toonami to succeed but that doesn't mean we have to settle for subpar stuff. Shit if all we cared about was ratings, Toonami would be better off a seven episodes of Family Guy :p

Using the metric of crunchyroll's popular page Berserk 2016 is the 5th most current watched anime after 2 episodes behind only relife (which is probably inflated since the whole show went up at once) and the big 3 weekly shonen (Naruto shippuden, one piece, and Jojo). I understand that's just their community but considering its the biggest official source of anime streaming I think it's a good barometer. People are watching the new Berserk regardless of the quality, that's my point. I'm not saying anime gaf/toonami gaf are wrong from bashing this terrible animation and bizarre adaptation choices, but if we're talking simply about stuff airing on Toonami then something that is really popular if low quality is a better pick up then a high quality show that nobody watches. Ideally we get high quality popular shows like OPM and HxH but the Toonami audience has already proven bad story and/or bad quality animation won't stop them from loving a series.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
I don't think Berserk has ever gotten an adaptation that didn't look like shit and yes I am including the 1990s series.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Tonight on Toonami, Vegeta opens a can of whoop ass on Cell, Tekkadan prepares to depart from Mars but finds it's not so easy to leave the red planet behind, Leorio puts the team's time on the line in a battle of janken, Fuu finally faces the samurai who smells of sunflowers while her friends' lives hang in the balance in Samurai Champloo's grand finale, Sasuke finally completes his team of goobers while Naruto decides to track down Sasuke's long lost brother and Akatsuki member Uchiha Itachi, Brook takes on Ryuuma in a battle for his shadow while Oars gorges his way through Thriller Bark's food stores, and Kana's thirst for Shinichi intensifies.

11:30 - Dragonball Z Kai - 77 - Beyond Super Saiyan! Vegeta Confronts the Monster Cell!
12:00 - Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans - 5 - Beyond the Red Sky
12:30 - HUNTER×HUNTER - 11 - Trouble × With × The Gamble
1:00 - Samurai Champloo - 26 - Evanescent Encounter (Part 3) - END
1:30 - Naruto Shippuden - 118 - Formation!
2:00 - One Piece - 352 - A Belief Worth Begging to Live for!! Brook Defends His Afro
2:30 - Parasyte -the maxim- - 11 - The Blue Bird

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
wait a minute....an afro.....

..........OH MY GOD BROOK IS ACTUALLY A DEAD AFRO LUFFY FROM AN ALT TIMELINE WHERE LUFFY LOST TO FOXY, IT ALL MAKES SENSE NOW

Crocodile

Using the metric of crunchyroll's popular page Berserk 2016 is the 5th most current watched anime after 2 episodes behind only relife (which is probably inflated since the whole show went up at once) and the big 3 weekly shonen (Naruto shippuden, one piece, and Jojo). I understand that's just their community but considering its the biggest official source of anime streaming I think it's a good barometer. People are watching the new Berserk regardless of the quality, that's my point. I'm not saying anime gaf/toonami gaf are wrong from bashing this terrible animation and bizarre adaptation choices, but if we're talking simply about stuff airing on Toonami then something that is really popular if low quality is a better pick up then a high quality show that nobody watches. Ideally we get high quality popular shows like OPM and HxH but the Toonami audience has already proven bad story and/or bad quality animation won't stop them from loving a series.

Putting aside that metric (I'm not convinced its the best to use or that Crunchyroll views will necessarily translate to TV ratings - I'd feel more comfortable if the overwhelming online consensus was that Berserk 2016 was good), I'll certainly concede that Berserk 2016 has more mainstream appeal than a superlative show such as say Ping Pong. I don't think most would argue against that? As someone who is interested in seeing Toonami succeed and stick around, I have no desire to burden it with shows I think are good but know would be a hard sell to the Toonami audience. At the same time, I'm not going to champion shows that I think are deficient in some way. I can understand why Toonami execs might pick them up but that doesn't mean I have to be enthused nor does it mean I would withhold my criticism of said show. As an example, a Toonami filled with SAO and SAO clones is not a block I'm going to sit down and watch.

Grexeno

I think it's fairly certain that Jason and Gil and whoever else definitely factor quality into their show decisions. And Berserk 2016 definitely gets thrown out on any quality basis.

BatDan

Only half?

WHY DID YOU CANCEL BLEACH?!
If SAO's popularity has taught me anything, it's that most anime fans have shit taste, and are likely not very smart.
What I don't understand are the fans with no shame. The ones that openly flaunt they enjoy garbage like Oreimo or SAO. Like, really?

going to ign and kotaku for anime reviews is like going to rottentomatoes for music reviews

True. Someone should tell Wikipedia that though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom