• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |JunJul16| You Thought It Was Dragon Ball Super, But It Was ME, DIO!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seda

I get that this failure of a conversation is supposed to be frustrating for the viewer, it's written that way. But I still don't think it's done very well for a few reasons.

IBO is probably the first show on the block where i feel really tempted to actually finish it on my own. I haven't enjoyed a show this much since part 3 of Jojo.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
WVW69jbnsvk_4Qg0I7

WVW69jbnsvk_4Qg0I7

LATER

Played a game during recap hxh and lost track of time :X

Well it was fun posting with yall again hopefully I can do it again soon schedule permitting.

Seda

IBO is probably the first show on the block where i feel really tempted to actually finish it on my own. I haven't enjoyed a show this much since part 3 of Jojo.

Im enjoying it quite a bit too. As I said today, I'm actually finding the dialogue and character interaction genuinely fun and interesting. It's hard to describe, and I figure some will disagree: I find some of the characters a little less tropey than typical but still eccentric enough to fit in a Gundam show.

Line_HTX

Im enjoying it quite a bit too. As I said today, I'm actually finding the dialogue and character interaction genuinely fun and interesting. It's hard to describe, and I figure some will disagree: I find some of the characters a little less tropey than typical but still eccentric enough to fit in a Gundam show.

For the first time in forever since I last watched any Gundam show, I too like a lot of the side characters here. They're trying to tough it out given their circumstances and they are making it sound more believable than others in the past. I haven't enjoyed a "nothing" episode as much as I did last week. It was a really good development on the break from the action.

I saw your long ass post, and hoped you would ramble some more actually because I wanted to read more, lol

I remember when I was watching it as it aired; a lot of people, myself included, praised it for straying away from a lot of conventions that define Gundam, especially Alternate Universe Gundam. I think this show executes tropes from a different perspective I guess, like usually with teenage protags the show gets dominated by their angsty, melodramatic point of view where here we're looking at it from a more objective point of view that doesn't always condone the decisions the main characters make.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Cell and Mosquito Girl looking to engage in some hardcore sucking

NOW we know what he did during the wait for the Cell games!

Cell and Mosquito Girl - A match-made in sucking.

And they sucked happily ever after!

Mosquito Lady aside, I like how you got that blondie in the mobile suit fighting Mikazuki, haha

Dare I say, tonight's sketch was...

PREDICTABO!!

"Shouldn't I be drawing gundam fights...? NO, THAT TAKES TOO LONG!"

YOU KAN NOT ESCAPE LEGZ AWS!

I've had fun with the Dialogue, though I've found myself kinda tuned out during Gundam a few Saturdays, conveniently enough. I still get the gist, but I look back and feel "... wait, what even happened?". I so love how their fights play out.

What I especially liked in this episode is that it felt like everyone was close to deadly situations; they treated each other kinda playfully, but it still felt like one moment of rage could have any of those out there fighting seriously hurt, or worse. Or the Turbans could have turned on their employer, as he showed such little respect for what was going on.

And it did feel very nice to see the definitive Gundam outclassed in a few ways by another combatant in a suit that looks like it'll eventually be something of a fodder unit.

The music in this show makes everything seem a bit greater than it even is, and I'm definitely appreciating that.

As important as out main characters are, they're being treated more like a renegade unit of obvious youth and immaturity. It's nice to feel that they are in a world that shows they have growing left to do, rather than everyone instantly seeing them as master level, best-in-show wunderkinds that can do no wrong.

Soulflarz

Banned
I get that this failure of a conversation is supposed to be frustrating for the viewer, it's written that way. But I still don't think it's done very well for a few reasons.

Is it bad I have a handful of scenes in mind and have no idea on where you guys are at based on this?

Parasyte had some...issues.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Last night sucked, by the time power came back, it was too late.

I'll catch up on what I missed, but damn I'm annoyed. I do not like being forced to miss Toonami (I prefer missing it by choice).

I probably shouldn't eat chinese food on Toonami night, I couldn't even make it through the first part of DBZ Kai.

But, quickie reactions as I got caught up this morning!

DBZ Kai
- Krillin's actions are pretty much inexcusable. Vegeta's is at least somewhat in character, if not still, well, dumb.

OPM
- I'm really enjoying the way this is playing with action show tropes while being a pretty good action show. After the very "set-up"ness of the first episode, I feel that episode 2 picked up some momentum that I hope continues.

IBO
- Having never really watched a Gundam series before (one day, I'll finish G Gundam), I don't have any preconceptions about what to expect, and I find myself getting more and more into IBO, whereas I was a little cool about it first. Probably doesn't hurt that the fights are fun to watch.

One Piece
- I know it's largely a recap episode, but in One Piece's case, they are helpful since I haven't seen that stuff since I marathoned those eps before OP returned to Toonami 3 (!) years ago. Got a good laugh from when they met the flower-head guy, but it's nice to have the memory jogged.

Interested what those are. Yeah I was super frustrated when I watched this episode last week.

Is it bad I have a handful of scenes in mind and have no idea on where you guys are at based on this?

Parasyte had some...issues.
It's the scene were Murano truly confronts him and he's about to tell her but has some vision of Migi popping out of his arm on attack mode and doesn't. I appreciate it because he was definitely getting emotional about how he wants to tell her everything, but just fucking tell her something.

Josh5890

Late good morning all. I just got back from work and here are my thoughts on last night....

DBZ Kai: Krillin had a stupid week moment and now everyone is paying the price. Vegeta is just a meathead. Cell's transformation was cool even though I liked his first form which was more reptilian.

One Punch Man: I'm liking this show, more so how it is different than the other shows on the block. Even though OPM plays off as a boring guy he is very interesting. I hope next week keeps the momentum going.

IBO: Definitely the most mature show on the block besides maybe Parasyte. The action was pretty cool. This show seems to get better as it goes on.

Hunter x Hunter:Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Personally I like the block right now as an outsider to the world of anime. It has a good mix of shows. My favorite right now is HxH. I don't watch Naruto, One Piece or Parasyte since the run isn't near the beginning for me to catch up. I will be interested to see what comes after Parasyte in October, even if it is a re-run of something else.

Side question: Can anyone recommend Dragon Ball Xenoverse? It is $12.50 on Steam through today.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Is IBO the most mature show on the block right now? I mean the dialogue leaned that way but it had by far the most unnecessary cheesecake last night.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
A little bit of cheesecake is very Gundam. It's like "you're about to experience the horros of war, here's something to remind you of what everyone's fighitn for!". It's not uncommon for naked souls to go screaming out of ships when someone dies, or even just randomly in the OP, sooo... yeah, Gundam.

Now to confuse everyone with an avatar switch *Cackle!*

Oh, and the bit of maturity tof Gundam is very nice, coming off the childish nature HxH has at times. It has it's darkness, sure, but still...

Man God

Non-Canon Member
A little bit of cheesecake is very Gundam. It's like "you're about to experience the horros of war, here's something to remind you of what everyone's fighitn for!". It's not uncommon for naked souls to go screaming out of ships when someone dies, or even just randomly in the OP, sooo... yeah, Gundam.

Now to confuse everyone with an avatar switch *Cackle!*

Oh, and the bit of maturity tof Gundam is very nice, coming off the childish nature HxH has at times. It has it's darkness, sure, but still...

The show had been relatively free of it before tonight though yet they decide to go all in on the first really good action episode. I'm not even complaining, what is is what is.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
The show had been relatively free of it before tonight though yet they decide to go all in on the first really good action episode. I'm not even complaining, what is is what is.

It's been most free of female Cheesecake anywho. Sweaty Topless dudes have shown up before... it's just justice, is what it is!

And it all stopped, at least visually. once things got serious.

I was glad Lafter (is that how it's spelled?) Didn't get killed after providing us with an eyeful. The way things went actually might have been well used to make us underestimate her.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
It's been most free of female Cheesecake anywho. Sweaty Topless dudes have shown up before... it's just justice, is what it is!

And it all stopped, at least visually. once things got serious.

I was glad Lafter (is that how it's spelled?) Didn't get killed after providing us with an eyeful. The way things went actually might have been well used to make us underestimate her.

The way the episode was going I could tell no one was going to die. Tekken7 only has two pilots and that's just not enough so they were going to join forces somehow, and they did.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
The way the episode was going I could tell no one was going to die. Tekken7 only has two pilots and that's just not enough so they were going to join forces somehow, and they did.

HxH's incredibly stilly kill quota and knowledge of Gundam series directed by "Kill'em All Tomino" lead to me to expect death for any silly, useless reason.

qti7TRg.gif

Man God

Non-Canon Member
HxH's incredibly stilly kill quota and knowledge of Gundam series directed by "Kill'em All Tomino" lead to me to expect death for any silly, useless reason.

qti7TRg.gif

Even then death in Gundam is heavily backloaded and only starts around the middle of a season. It is known. Things have to go relatively well before they go wrong!

Dragon Ball Z Kai 79

AKA the episode where everyone carries the idiot ball. Krillin's an idiot for destroying the remote, Vegeta is an idiot for letting Cell absorb 18, 18 is an idiot for not getting the hell away from Cell and in a couple of episodes, we'll find out why Trunks is an idiot. You all deserve what's coming to you.

One Punch Man 2

I enjoyed this episode. OPM is doing a good job of playing around with Shounen action tropes. Genos English VA is pretty good as well.

Gundam Iron Blooded Orphans 7

Already talked about this episode when it was airing in Japan so instead I'll mention how I liked the dub casting choices for Naze and his crew. David Vincent is a good fit for Naze, as is Amida and Lafter's VAs.

Hunter X Hunter 13

Recap episode. Ergo it's the worst episode so far. The fact that this indicates we're getting the broadcasted version rather than the home video version does not give me high hopes that Viz won't fuck this up somehow.

Naruto Shippuden

As if I'll actually watch this shite when I can avoid it.

One Piece 354

Not a fan of recap episodes but I give this a pass since it's a recap episode that covers stuff I've never seen before (292 episodes previously) and it moves the story forward somewhat with current events.

Decent night overall. Wish HxH wasn't a bloody recap episode.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
That floating object would've made more sense as a "censor" if there was anything actually worth censoring.

Seda

I didn't take too much issue with the 'fanservice' bits here. Certainly not as obtrusive as stuff in SAO, AGK, DW, or KLK (although that's part of the point of KLK).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom