• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Mar14| No Time for Sissy Pig

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now this episode was good but it was still standard stuff to setup the rest of the series bass lol, this is nowhere near the best SBT episodes which are really really awesome.

i was going to disagree, but looking at my little episode list i would say that literally half the series is better than this opening episode. and i really really like this opening episode.

zlCfzRmmmGcs5b3KLf

zlCfzRmpACAmb5PzAE

LATER.

Hmm...Slug Tsunade....I'd probably still hit it.

And the King of Galaluna dropping truth bombs

Man God

Non-Canon Member
If anyone wants a suggestion for a random funny Inuyasha episode to watch you have:

"Chokyukai and the Abducted Bride"
"Shippo's New Technique, The Heart Scar!"
"Miroku's Most Dangerous Confession"
"The Last Banquet of Miroku's Master"
"Forever with Lord Sesshomaru"

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
If anyone wants a suggestion for a random funny Inuyasha episode to watch you have:

"Chokyukai and the Abducted Bride"
"Shippo's New Technique, The Heart Scar!"
"Miroku's Most Dangerous Confession"
"The Last Banquet of Miroku's Master"
"Forever with Lord Sesshomaru"

We have our list, lets watch as a group tomorrow

Man God

Non-Canon Member
When MM comes back he can suggest more and we'll pick two of them. Coincidentally though the first two are the next two episodes in order.

MikeMyers

133/134 - The Woman Who Loved Sesshomaru
136 - A Strange Invisible Demon Appears!

Those two are great as well.

Oh the canon portions here are my favorite actually, including the battle with Naraku at
Inuyasha dads grave

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
SAB, where you at? I'm sleepy

I was setting it up during the last half of titan, came back to see how much time was left in the ep... and saw commercials. "That's it?!" LoL.

Well done SAB CA, did I mention that Mermaid Saga arrived?

Thanks, and nope, how's it been?

Really awesome SAB, Love the coloring for femaku and yes even symbiotic titans misses inuyasha
LATER

I'm surprised Ikura (was that it?) appeared so fast, I thought that was much later... had to do it! Even torture can't make one forget their love for Inuyasha, haha.

Awesome stuff, see you all next week (or in a few hours)

LATER

*salute.. runs away*

Hahah. Great work, SAB. I know those feels, Ilana's dad. I know those feels. Well, good night, guys.

*runs back* Rest well!

Great sketches SAB. The Soul Eater one is hilarious.

I love how the ep was full of mini gags, even though it was a pretty serious episode, in a way. My biggest throught when I first saw it (and the end of last ep) was always "But.. that's not really Soul...Right?!?"

Hmm...Slug Tsunade....I'd probably still hit it.

And the King of Galaluna dropping truth bombs

There's gotta be a Doujin somewhere for that, heh. (And if not, I'm sorry for introducing the idea to the world.)

As solid as Titan is, it's sad how little I care about it at this hour, haha. All I can think is "... Rerunning? Hope this gets it a second season!" and then it's back to *humming Inuyasha music*

*runs away again*

I wouldn't even know how to rank this weeks episodes so many shows across the board were excellent. Space Dandy, One Piece, and Symbiotic Titan blew me away. Soul Eater, Blue Exorcist, Naruto, Clone Wars, and Samurai Jack were all pretty great as well. Bleach and Shippuden were still two of the weaker links but the former was at least well animated and the later actually had more then 1 thing happen for a change. IGPX is really the only show that continues to be really dull.

Great week overall

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I kinda skimmed the sketch dump today so I won't compliment it until I've seen Bleach/Soul Eater/Blue Exorcist. I love being social and glad my friend will watch One Piece and Both Narutos (and SAO when it aired, and Black Lagoon when it will air) but for whatever reason he can't stand Soul Eater, has the good taste to not like Bleach at all and didn't like the first episode of Blue Exorcist at all.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Sad thing is if we wait a month we can all do it legally for free. I've got the dvds for the series now and the Blu-Ray for FINAL ACT but having it on NEON ALLEY would keep it above board if not entirely on topic.

Seda

I might do some write ups tomorrow if I feel like it, but I wanted to start by saying I really enjoyed that Space Dandy episode. It just seemed very well balanced. I'm not lucid enough to articulate that more at the moment though.

Jintor

it was a nice episode.

i particularly liked all the jokes involving 8 that probably wouldn't have stood out to anyone who didn't suffer through e8

Raxus

Great stuff SAB. I really need to catch up. Something always comes up and i keep falling further and further behind Jack.

It is only going to get worse with Dark Souls 2 and Titanfall coming in 2 days.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Good morning everyone

We're now an hour into the future. Sunlight!
Or with Dark Souls II in two days, Praise the Sun!

Space Dandy
Amazing episode. I love Groundhog's Day, and similar time loop stories. This was no exception.

Bleach
"Hey, let's waste our animation budget on an episode where nothing fucking happens!"

Shippuden
Zzzzzzz Rock Lee! Zzzzzzzzzzz

One Piece
Now you know that Franky is important to all this too. ...
To be fair, it's been years since this arc was printed so by now, most people would know what happens to Franky.

Blue Exorcist
Yeah, the series if fairly standard Shonen. It's not offensively bad like Naruto, Prince of Tennis, or Fairy Tail, but it's entertaining enough to keep reading/watching.

BONES Eater
We're almost done! I sure wish we had a new anime that was faithful to the manga. Instead we get Moe.

Good morning. Seems Bass enjoyed Titan.

Awesome the colors on the Space Dandy one are also particular good. Slug Tsunde is freaky and heart beats re important The rest are also quite humorous. Inuyasha will rise up like Death the Kid. Once again Aku makes hot sexy chick.

bigkrev

Thoughts on what I saw last night:

One Piece- There were reveals in this episode, and funny enough, this episode covered the last chapter of One Piece I have read. The only difference? That chapter took me 4 minutes to read, while this took me 30 minutes to watch. I think what is hurting OP more than any lack of action or anything is that a normal human being who just wants to watch it once a week on cable TV, and not worrying about subs or anything, probably won't be able to see the end of the series in their lifetimes. I have no idea how anyone could have enough free time in the world to be "caught up" in this show

Soul Eater- While the ending has really been crappy, I loved a few things- Kid getting GOT out of nowhere made me pop huge, Maka being Maka always makes me happy, and Soul just eating that dude was great. I'm kind of glad it is ending next week though- I'm kinda pissed at how this final battle is going

Blue Exorcist- While this is still basic shounen, it at least does enough to seperate itself and make it watchable- nice animation, an above average DTL factor, and a Hogwarts setting. It's also a low level commitment- 26 episodes and a movie, and If I want more, a very reasonable 54 chapters of Manga.

Toonami Commercial- really cool, but sullied by the presence of Sword Art Online :/

Tamanon

Banned
Looking back, until we got to Soul Eater, it was basically an Exposition train. Black Star had some great moments as did Kid. Guess they were running low on time with them getting bodied off-screen. Not too bad outside of Shippuden personally. Fell asleep after OG Naruto, so didn't watch the rest.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
On Dandy last night... yeah, that was one of the most complete feeling episodes of the series yet. The moronic reasoning for HOW the calander got POWER possessed was inoffensive, yet backed with solid animation and designs, Meow's family felt like we re-visited the big family dynamic of Summer Wars, and his father was a very nice, honest man. I was so happy he wasn't the Jaded father that can't speak his feeling to his child. He just honestly loved his son, and cherished everything he did, because darnit, THAT'S HIS SON.

Dat Haruhi 8s... I haven't even seen all of the series, and I couldn't help but think it was a bit of a parody, even if it is a well-used dynamic in even more works.

Great stuff SAB. I really need to catch up. Something always comes up and i keep falling further and further behind Jack.

It is only going to get worse with Dark Souls 2 and Titanfall coming in 2 days.

Thx! And Jack is on Netflix Stream if you have it, so makes it easier to catch up on it. I feel kinda bad, as I'm normally trying to crush so many pics into the night by the time Jack comes on, that I barely get to give it the attention it deserves!

Good morning. Seems Bass enjoyed Titan.

Awesome the colors on the Space Dandy one are also particular good. Slug Tsunde is freaky and heart beats re important The rest are also quite humorous. Inuyasha will rise up like Death the Kid. Once again Aku makes hot sexy/strike] chick.

Glad those colors are appreciated, trying to figure out how to represent them with the limited AA palettes is quite a challenge! Man that was a beautiful ep.

Slugnade was fun to draw! I'd laugh if Inuyasha rose up in Titan's spot, right where it left off, with no pre-announcement. "Already?" *Mamimi-Camera Snap*

I love how many clues the ep gives owards Ikra being Aku, yet I fell for his act well first time I saw the ep. Aku, I wonder about you being able to pull off that Baroness-style "Sexy Evil" so well.

Thoughts on what I saw last night:

Toonami Commercial- really cool, but sullied by the presence of Sword Art Online :/

In all reality, I think SAO makes solid Toonami Montage filler, and I don't think the rest of the show harms the quality of it's fight scenes, on an individual scene basis. Pretty interesting they could still use Inuyasha, even though it's rights were lost.

*Random Note: I don't keep up with the Skullgirls PC Endless Beta, so when I saw Big Band's ending quote of "We have Come to Terms... SEE YOU, SPACE COWBOY!" I had the biggest pro-Blum grin on my face, lol. If they ever review the game on Toonami post THE JAM, I hope they used that as the end of the review. Tom might have a fit.

Darn. I failed the 5 and a 1/2 hour challenge.
Anyways rankings of what I did see.
One Piece
Space Dandy
Samurai Jack
Blue Exorcist
Soul Eater
Naruto

awesome:
Sym-Bionic Titan

great:
Space Dandy

good:
One Piece
Samurai Jack
Star Wars: The Clone Wars

ok:
Blue Exorcist
Naruto Shippuden

mediocre:
Soul Eater

bad:
Bleach

i liked the Space Dandy episode a lot, but i feel it didn't really do too much that was unique with its well-worn concept. One Piece kind of felt like it could've been condensed to ten minutes at most ("the real blueprints are with whoever's name is here, and that person is actually Franky"), but it was still pretty good for what it was. Shippuden picked up a little bit, which was nice. i don't know about Blue Exorcist, i was kind of displeased by how cliched it continues to be and found that whole fight scene to be kind of forced. it also just made me briefly despise both characters. Soul Eater's internal conflict was stupid ("he's in the box, now you have the key!") and anti-climactic. Clone Wars was creepy even if it didn't have much in the way of a strong plot and Obi-Wan's negotiation was incredibly dumb. Jack was basically just a montage of some fun desert scenes ending in a really obvious plot twist; i'm starting to think i might actually like Sym-Bionic Titan more as i see them both side-by-side. Bleach was a load of talky bullshit.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
First experience with Sym-Bionic Titan other than the
shake it bake it booty quake it
I've seen around the internets.

That was fucking awesome.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
One thing I liked about Blue Exorcist is that it took a few things that could have been Series-wide issues (How Rin and Yukio think about each other, the feeling on PriestPapa's death, Rin's concept of the location they're in VS everyone elses), and just deals with them all at once, with fairly satisfying answers. I appreciate them NOT skirting around these issues, and having characters say their feelings straightforward-like.

Star Wars was kinda the perfect ep to sum up how I feel about the show; It had good action and pushed that *Children's Television!* boundary like all the strong Cartoon Network-born works, and it showed how well the Jedi personalities bounce off each other in order to swiftly give out the angles of a situation...

... however, the Jedi still annoy me. The whole show always makes me feel like the Jedi are a step away from being the bad guys in EVERY situation, and I feel little desire to cheer for anyone that's not Ahsoka. They all just feel like such incredibly flawed, more-revered-than-deserved clots that it's really agitating.

One thing I'll always like more about Jack rather than Titan, is that Jack feels like tall-tales of a great man, retold by those that lived alongside him. His strong sense of Justice works well with this, however, but he's not afraid of showing surprising rage when things don't work out like he desired. It's a nice contrast that keeps him from feeling perfect and cliché.

Titan feels like a nice serial story, and it has a lot of memorable scenes, but it doesn't feel as grandiose as Jack. It doesn't have the same timeless feel that Bebop, Jack, and Inuyasha give off at the later timeslots.

One thing I liked about Blue Exorcist is that it took a few things that could have been Series-wide issues (How Rin and Yukio think about each other, the feeling on PriestPapa's death, Rin's concept of the location they're in VS everyone elses), and just deals with them all at once, with fairly satisfying answers. I appreciate them NOT skirting around these issues, and having characters say their feelings straightforward-like.

i thought this just ended up making the conflict feel largely pointless. you can't do a satisfactory job of addressing this in 10 minutes.

One thing I'll always like more about Jack rather than Titan, is that Jack feels like tall-tales of a great man, retold by those that lived alongside him. His strong sense of Justice works well with this, however, but he's not afraid of showing surprising rage when things don't work out like he desired. It's a nice contrast that keeps him from feeling perfect and cliché.

Titan feels like a nice serial story, and it has a lot of memorable scenes, but it doesn't feel as grandiose as Jack. It doesn't have the same timeless feel that Bebop, Jack, and Inuyasha give off at the later timeslots.

One of my faveorite episodes involves Jack getting really "mad." :p

If I were to do rankings this week it would be :

1) Space Dandy - this was a really solid episode that really put the focus on thinga many adults can relate to, not fulfilling old dreams, not wanting to accept the monotony of life, following in their parents footsteps, a dislike for home, cat yuri. The 4th wall breaking and general Dandy silliness juxtaposed alongside these things really made for what is likely the best Dandy episode so far.

2) Samurai Jack - I forgot this episode came so soon (I don't actually know any of the ordering of Samurai Jack events , it was always the type of show I watched at random/in reruns) but this has always been a long time fave. Jack needs to be wiser next time on the obviously evil obviously Aku shapeshifter forms.

3) Blue Exorcist - Ok yea, this is basically Harry Potter but with being a demon/exorcist, but you know what I don't mind that or its heavily cliched-ness , this is entertaining to me. Part of it is probably seeing someone voiced by the same person who voiced kirito get shat on at every opportunity , but yea. Yukio stays being better than Rin in every way and that was just hilarious even if the "dramatic" scene of this episode was really really forced.I will also say that was a legit swerve for me, while i expected Yukio to get involved in the Exorcist stuff I did not expect him to straight up be the teacher and expert (though in hindsight how could anyone this swag *not* be) .

4) One Piece - To be honest I have both forgotten all this happened a bit and still loosely remember everything that's happening enough for all of this to just be one big not so interesting episode, but for newcomers I hope this was a legit captivating if a bit narrative heavy episode.

5) Naruto - This arc is still a very interesting watch even in rewatch, especially looking at all this stuff that proved to just end up being Ki in the end and some of the characterizations for better or worse. Inari is annoying as fuck btw and so is Sakura's lack of self worth or being interesting beyond liking Sasuke. I mean you are literally better at them at something for once in your live and all you can worry about is Sasuke hating you for that ? smh .

6) Soul Eater - uh I guess stuff is happening arbitrarily and eventually with next episode it will amount to Kisshin being destroyed, also lots of exposition that i just wasn't interested in , spent this 30 mins playing BD mostly iirc .

I think that's all I can do, I don't actually remember if I watched shippuden or not, I feel that I recall something about tea cups and sasori and sandstorms and nothing happening and if by chance that is what the episode was then it's in last place. Well second to last place, honorary last place for the week goes to DST for being horrible as ever though it did make samurai jack an hr earlier, it took away two shows that are actually decent .

Seda

Brief commentary:

Space Dandy
-Solid episode. Well balanced with the comedy and the more dramatic parts. I was fine with a little 4th wall breaking.

Bleach
-I might have understood the time breaking bs if I bothered to think about it, but I don't really care to.

Shuippuden
- I have little issue with the actual events happening, but the pacing is problematic. The akatsuki got their introduction which are mysterious enough to be somewhat interesting at that point. I like Platt's performance as Temari.

One Piece
- CP9's goal is to control a superweapon to 'put an end' to the great pirate era? I dunno if I missed something, but that doesn't seem very interesting to me. The more immediate 'interrogation' of Iceburg I was fine with. And actually, I wasn't spoiled on Franky or really anything that happens to him, so I didn't know how he fit into this arc before-hand, I was actually starting to wonder.

Blue Exorcist
- The scene between Yukio and Rin was awkward. Yukio seemed legitimately upset at Rin for being a demon and 'killing' Fushimoto but it's not like Rin had any control over that. Out of the two of them, I think Rin's anger was more valid, as having just learned he was Satan's spawn, and then learning Yukio knew the whole time - I could see that being frustrating. But then the awkward tension is awkwardly quickly resolved and now they are living together with shenanigans afoot. As I said, I think it's pretty dumb - but maybe watching in a group is allowing me to enjoy it regardless. Certainly moreso than SAO anyway.

Soul Eater
-Some neat action scenes, but I'm disappointed that it's all coming down to Maka again. I know she's the main character, and I know it's the finale, but I feel like Black Star and Kid totally became jobbers for this encounter which they haven't been in the series.

Samurai Jack
-Obvious plot-twist, but I felt Jack getting upset with a hint of despair at the end was well done enough.

Clone Wars
-Sufficiently creepy I guess

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Cutty Flam has the plans to build another Pluton, Robin knows where the actual Pluton is. Plans+The resources to build and crew multiple Plutons=end game scenario for the age of piracy.

Also Bleach was easy to follow and shockingly good for an exposition episode of Bleach. Ichigo saved himself because time means nothing in the cleaner. It's literally that simple.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom