• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Mar14| No Time for Sissy Pig

Status
Not open for further replies.
Honestly the actual score doesn't impact me as much as the content of the various reviews which is why I do like Kotaku (though I think their reviewers aren't very good lol). Generally I kind of know which reviewers or gamers here have similar taste to me and if they enjoy a game 90% of the time I do as well.

Levyne

Banned
I forget which review it was, but someone had a lower than the average ALBW review, and everyone wanted his head, even though his points where very clear and the review content backed up his score. But because he gave it a 7 instead of a 9, blood needed to be spilled. Sigh. Can't have opinions unless it falls in line with everyone elses. And it was only like a 7, not something drastically lower.

I forget which review it was, but someone had a lower than the average ALBW review, and everyone wanted his head, even though his points where very clear and the review content backed up his score. But because he gave it a 7 instead of a 9, blood needed to be spilled. Sigh. Can't have opinions unless it falls in line with everyone elses. And it was only like a 7, not something drastically lower.

It's funny I had a pretty scathing review of ALBW having a lot of similar complains that guy did and I said it was still a 9/10 and people wanted MY head lol

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I actually had a forty minute drive without anything to listen to (my passenger was asleep most of the time) so I really dug deep into why that last filler arc of Naruto bothered me so.

It had more animation fuck ups than usual. Not a big deal, these generally lead to more pictures from me.

The first two episodes were dull as fuck. The next three were just regular dull.

The plot holes/dumb ideas are what gets to me the worst. Besides obvious comedy episodes (and some pacing issues where they add an extra episode for no reason or have to end things hastily because of lack of time) filler has been fairly logically consistent. Hell the last arc before this was all about consistent filler continuity. But the number of poorly thought out ideas in this one was staggering. The timeline of events previous to this is crazy (the village was founded before the great five, they've probably been dying in the same numbers for 200 years yet no one blames the star) A training where only two people completed it and dozens died or were disfigured or lived short lives and it didn't even make them that strong. They had no genjutsu training and their physical bodies couldn't move while performing it. Lee probably could have beaten the entire village by himself. Speaking about Lee and Twenty besides their comedy skit in that episode they did nothing at all. At least Neji's magical eyes worked properly for a whole arc for once.

The Hoshikage not destroying or at least sending the star off with Natsuhi pissed me off the most though. You're already going to anger the hardliners by ending the training so you might as well stop the evil cancer causing rock of death.

bigkrev

Talking about PSP nostalgia, I remember during middle school me and my friends would bring our PSPs every friday to school and play Liberty City Survivor all throughout recess. Those were the days.

Fuck you for making me feel old

Reading the Crimea thread I'm guessing some (like Dave) were banned for making "invasion" jokes (which are admittedly super tasteless but seem low overall on the "fucked up shit to say" spectrum considering what I've seen people say in other, unrelated threads)? I'm not sure why others were banned though. Overall though that thread seems super benign. Like I feel you have to actively want to be offended or try to be if that thread pisses you off (talking to nobody in particular in here).

That whole thread should have just been locked and stickied after the OP. Nothing good could come from posting in there. There was a joke, it was made, but any "discussion" was going to lead to people getting banned.

I get banning for the invasion/rape jokes; those were out of line. Some of the others were questionable though. Hopefully Dave isn't gone for too long, he's been a good contributor to this thread.

His Avatar is gone, that normally means a Perm (I think). Seda, want to let us know if we will see him again?
Reviews:

As long as a game is not fundamentally broken, I usually can find some enjoyment out of it. It's a hard thing to word without making it come across like I have low standards, or that I don't care about how well a game reviews (which is untrue). It's just that I am willing to concede that a game has poor voice acting, or questionable progression, or lack of balance, or any number of thingsas long as it makes up somewhere else in an interesting way, or has some other quality aspect to it that is enjoyable.

What I'm trying to say is that unless I game is a panned 2/10 release (Ride to Hell Retribution?) , then it will usually have something that I am willing to play it for, regardless if it's a 6, an 8.8, or an 11. I don't want to say I don't care about reviews, because I do, but so Infamous is scoreing low 80s on metacritic. What's the big deal? People have to justify it in that "oh it's a launch game", or "oh, it doesn't tread new ground, similar to the other games." Or that people have to compare these values to MS's exclusives because that's important somehow. What changes if it was a 9.3 or a 7.1? Just the whole discussion on that front is something I don't find value or excitement or a whole lot of purpose in.

There are legit reasons for people to care about review scores. I believe that the Fallout: New Vegas devs missed out on their bonuses because the games Metacritic score was one point below a threshold- and the math was close enough that if 2 people gave it 8s instead of 7.5s it would have broken the threshold, and the studio would not have had to lay people off.

Granted, that is something that is totally fucked up, but its real. For the most part, you should be reading the reviews from credible websites- not places with no journalistic integrity like Polygon, but from people that you trust the opinions of. Why should you care that Adam Sessler gave the game an X/5 if you don't trust his opinions?

Speaking of reviews, This is from 2007, and I'm really sad that it hasn't really changed much since then.
Honestly the actual score doesn't impact me as much as the content of the various reviews which is why I do like Kotaku (though I think their reviewers aren't very good lol). Generally I kind of know which reviewers or gamers here have similar taste to me and if they enjoy a game 90% of the time I do as well.

I agree, Kotaku is the smartest website i've seen in years

Fuck you for making me feel old

That whole thread should have just been locked and stickied after the OP. Nothing good could come from posting in there. There was a joke, it was made, but any "discussion" was going to lead to people getting banned.

His Avatar is gone, that normally means a Perm (I think). Seda, want to let us know if we will see him again?
There are legit reasons for people to care about review scores. I believe that the Fallout: New Vegas devs missed out on their bonuses because the games Metacritic score was one point below a threshold- and the math was close enough that if 2 people gave it 8s instead of 7.5s it would have broken the threshold, and the studio would not have had to lay people off.

Granted, that is something that is totally fucked up, but its real. For the most part, you should be reading the reviews from credible websites- not places with no journalistic integrity like Polygon, but from people that you trust the opinions of. Why should you care that Adam Sessler gave the game an X/5 if you don't trust his opinions?

I agree, Kotaku is the smartest website i've seen in years

You missed the part where I said their reviewers weren't good, what I was saying was "I like Kotaku's review style, too bad their reviewers/writers are clowns who don't know anything"

Levyne

Banned

Yeah, that was indeed fucked up, and for a developer I like as well.

avatar gone is old forum legend told around the digital campfire, iirc

Yeah I'm pretty sure that just means they had their avatar stored either on their computer or linked from a website and when they're banned even if it's just a 5 second temp one the information is lost/deleted hence why so many banned users avatars disappear

Seda

Nah.

tumblr_n2jhgoBuVJ1ruakfio1_500.gif

tumblr_n2jhgoBuVJ1ruakfio2_500.gif

More Walker.

More Erika.

More Dota-chin.

More DURARARARARARARARARARARARA!!

I'M STILL REALLY FUCKING EXCITED YOU GUYS

HAVE SOME FANART

SPOILERS FOR SOME OF THEM

"Does that mean you have some trust in me now?"

"It’s different from real trust… I just felt like I should at least tell you a thing or two about myself to keep my right-hand woman from turning against me."

"Why don’t you just go ahead and die already?"

- Yagiri Namie and Orihara Izaya, Durarara!! x4 Chapter 3

And now an excerpt from Durarara!! volume 4.

lLGKsTS.png

You guys don't understand.

I have regularly googled "Durarara season 2" like clockwork every three/four months.

I started reading the fan-translated versions of the light novels. I'm still only on the first one, #4 (since the anime covered #1-3 with perfect accuracy.)

For the record, there are 13 volumes out now. There's enough content to make over THREE NEW SEASONS OF THE SHOW.

Considering how many animes are stupidly started way before the manga is finished and then the anime teams have to make up bullshit partway through, this was a revelation to me. Why would they put in all that effort for other stupid animes when there's thirteen volumes of Durarara!! right there on the table?!?!

I CANNOT WAIT TO SEE AOBA, THE HOLLYWOOD KILLER, THE CELTY CHASE, ETC ETC ANIMATED

I NEED THIS IN MY VEINS

My last Durarara!! freakout on January 17 seems sooooooo prophetic now.

IDEA: TOONAMI SHOULD AIR DRRR SEASON ONE IN ORDER TO PREP FOR SEASON TWO IN 2015

Tenumi

Banned
I... well, really disliked Durarara. Good for it's fans that it's getting a second season, but I know now to stay well away from it.

Seda

I haven't seen either (surprise), but I generally gather that Baccano is better received than Durarara.

Obviously this is only my perception of things.

I haven't seen either (surprise), but I generally gather that Baccano is better received than Durarara.

Same from what I understand having not seen either, both are on my to watch list but Baccano is one I've been told is a classic while DRRR is just a "pretty good" series

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I...I posted that just to lure Andrex into the thread to post more fanart.

Well, I'll give him Vic singing instead.

Baccano is way better than DRRR! though DRRR is still really good. Well the first arc was.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ

Durarara is much more popular (seriously, every anime fandom has a version of the Trust You ending.) Thus it gets a lot more people nitpicking it, and it also has that hipster-hate thing going on where Baccano fans are just jealous their inferior series isn't as popular.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooove that ending.

THIS IRREPLACEABLE WORLD NEEDS US NOW!

WE HAVE TO JOIN IN THE FIGHT!

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

LIVE YOUR LIFE LIKE A KAMEHAMEHA!

GIVE YOUR ALL, DON'T EVER GIVE UP!!

When we're together, I KNOW WE CAN WIN!

I HAVE YOU TO BELIIIIIEEEEVE IN!

Man God

Non-Canon Member
It does lend that awesome trumpet bit to the next episode preview.

It grows on you like an infection I must admit. Just hearing it again had me attempt to sing it. That chorus though. Too many syllables for that line.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
....what does that mean exactly

If you don't know, man, you're not living life. Man.

It does lend that awesome trumpet bit to the next episode preview.

It grows on you like an infection I must admit. Just hearing it again had me attempt to sing it. That chorus though. Too many syllables for that line.

I actually hadn't heard the second ending until your post, thanks for that. Great song.

LOLDSFAN

I... I feel kind of bad. I don't remember who Dave was without his avatar.

Anyway so did one of you guys post these questions on DeMarco's ask page? Mike brought it up a few days ago and now it looks like someone asked about him too.

I don't want to be on DeMarco's bad list now. :(

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Never done this before but I'm going to promote the next four episodes of Naurto Filler Hell.

Friday: "Kiba's Long Day!"
Dandyday: "A Legend from the Hidden Leaf: The Onbaa!" (this is totally pronounced ANBU in the original Japanese and makes the episode hilarious)
TOONAMIhangoverday: "Laughing Shino"
Monday: "Open for Business! The Leaf Moving Service"

Holy shit they actually did the Excalibur zoom in on the eye thing in the manga during the Hero chapter XD I'm dying here

LOL he uses the power of Excalibur to grope girls and blow away their skirts LOLOL

Crocodile

I just saw the newest Soul Eater Not commercial. The old crew looks like SHIIIIIIIIIIITTTTTTT in the new artstyle. Really annoyed we have to put of with BONES Eater shitacular excuse for an ending because instead of Soul Eater Brotherhood we are getting NOT :/

I... I feel kind of bad. I don't remember who Dave was without his avatar.

He had a Hank Venture avatar recently. Before that he had one of that ninja girl from Log Horizon.

EDIT: Accidentally said wrong Venture brother :p

So I think I got to the first major point of difference that I can remember from Soul Eater manga to anime (not counting all the extra fan service and pantie shots in the manga or the filler excalibur episodes in the anime) and it has to deal with Maka, Kid, and Black Star trying to learn team soul resonance. IIRC in the anime Stein drops some truth bombs and calls out Maka that she's the one holding Kid and Black Star back and that she should match Black Star instead of him lowering himself to her level. In the manga he just says this lesson is about learning something more, while it has a better teacher feel to it, I kind of liked seeing Maka get ripped a new one by Stein.

LOLDSFAN

I just saw the newest Soul Eater Not commercial. The old crew looks like SHIIIIIIIIIIITTTTTTT in the new artstyle. Really annoyed we have to put of with BONES Eater shitacular excuse for an ending because instead of Soul Eater Brotherhood we are getting NOT :/

He had a Dean Venture avatar recently. Before that he had one of that ninja girl from Log Horizon

Oh THAT guy!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom