• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Mar14| No Time for Sissy Pig

Status
Not open for further replies.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Toriyama really did rehash the Mercenary Tao motif quite a lot which further proves Tao is best character.

He's in the only filler besides driver's license I missed at all from Kai.

I...I'm going to be sad when they cut out all of the great Saiyaman stuff from Kai.

EDIT: Gucci, that was a bargain when the PSP came out. They normally ran 100+. This was before Sandisk even entered the Pro Duo market.

MikeMyers

Tao's also in DB Movie 3. He gave no fucks about tournament rules and just killed Bora because he can.

You could just buy the single sets for the Saiyaman arc used for really cheap on Amazon.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I tried to watch my Dragon Box after I finished Kai last summer. While I loved the Saiyaman stuff I basically skipped the Otherworld Tournament and I stopped watching altogether as soon as Dabura showed up. Took too long to get going and it just didn't look or sound right.

Then I attempted to take the Grand Tour...and it worked wonders on my insomnia.

bigkrev

I'm sure that ended up on my PSP sometime in college. I remember paying eighty bucks for a 512 MB pro duo card! Watched a decent amount of Scrapped Princess on the thing.

2005 and 2006 were so fucking Wild West on PSP. All about emulators, downgrading to 1.5 (this was before cfw!), buffer overflows, and other crazy stuff. Most of the games that came out were garbage, but you didn't care because JESUS CHRIST GTA3 IN MY HANDS and stuff. There were tons of websites based on just downloading movies and anime to PSP. I had a 256 MB stick that was like 50 dollars at launch, and eventually sniped a deal for 90 dollars 1 gig stick (!) in the summer of 2005. Watched so much shit on that thing- way more than actually playing games on it!

bigkrev

$80 for 512MB of memory? You got straight up ripped off, I thought that was how much the 2GB memory sticks cost for the PSP back in the mid 2000s.

2 gig sticks didn't exist till 2006, and Sony was the only one making the things for a while. They were pretty much only usable for pirating stuff at the time too, lol

Man God

Non-Canon Member
2005 and 2006 were so fucking Wild West on PSP. All about emulators, downgrading to 1.5 (this was before cfw!), buffer overflows, and other crazy stuff. Most of the games that came out were garbage, but you didn't care because JESUS CHRIST GTA3 IN MY HANDS and stuff. There were tons of websites based on just downloading movies and anime to PSP. I had a 256 MB stick that was like 50 dollars at launch, and eventually sniped a deal for 90 dollars 1 gig stick (!) in the summer of 2005. Watched so much shit on that thing- way more than actually playing games on it!

Yep, I barely played anything on my launch PSP but I watched so much. Spent so much time on my PC reconfiguring video to work on the thing. I had GBA and DS games for actually playing on break at my job but if I wanted to watch something on my (hour!) lunch (still haven't had one of those again in job yet) it was PSP time.

Kids these days don't realize that back when the PSP launched there was ABSOLUTELY NOTHING like it when it came to watching portable video. Cell phones had screens the size of three postage stamps and some of them weren't even color yet. Laptops were gigantic still as even netbooks are still four years off. Ipods were for MUSIC and had just began to work on Windows with USB cables. PSP meanwhile had awesome quality video perfect for SD DVD rips of anime.

bigkrev

Yep, I barely played anything on my launch PSP but I watched so much. Spent so much time on my PC reconfiguring video to work on the thing. I had GBA and DS games for actually playing on break at my job but if I wanted to watch something on my (hour!) lunch (still haven't had one of those again in job yet) it was PSP time.

Kids these days don't realize that back when the PSP launched there was ABSOLUTELY NOTHING like it when it came to watching portable video. Cell phones had screens the size of three postage stamps and some of them weren't even color yet. Laptops were gigantic still as even netbooks are still four years off. Ipods were for MUSIC and had just began to work on Windows with USB cables. PSP meanwhile had awesome quality video perfect for SD DVD rips of anime.

Also,DAT 272P screen!
Also underrated was the MP3 part. The Pink iPod Mini, all 2 gigs of it was 199 at the time. PSP was my first MP3 player, which meant I could have ALL of my Eminem CDs instead of just 1 in the discman!

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I also did a ton of traveling back then and yep, it was my primary mp3 player. Loaded to the brim because of the times with the amazing Naruto Soundtrack...a great deal of it in fact focused on the endings and openings that appeared in these here filler reviews. I know most of these songs note for note and word for word because of the PSP. Still salty when my first one broke all those years ago. So mad that it only took a slight fall from a car seat to the pavement that I cashed in my BB extended warranty and used it towards a DS lite.

Didn't replace the PSP for a few years after that and by then the world had caught up. Could watch videos on a ipod or even a phone. Had a dedicated MP3 player. But man, those early years the PSP was unstoppable for media.

Shit for games though outside of a few very rare exceptions. By the time the games got really good you'd rather watch that shit on a phone or even a tablet.

bigkrev

Getting nostalgic over the 2005 psp modding scene now I've seen everything lol

Listen, if you weren't buying Gripshift because it had a buffer overflow that allowed firmware downgrading, or using GTA to load small home brew, or learning that splitting files into 2 folders let it run, then man, you haven't lived

daveo42

Banned
I came in much later during the PSP life cycle. I didn't pick one up till Crisis Core. Still, the homebrew community on the PSP was fantastic and the system itself was stellar. I need to dig mine out and play through Type-0 now that the fan translation of the game is complete.

bigkrev

If we want to start talking about the Dreamcast scene of 2001, which was all about ripping games and strategically cutting files to get the 1 gig GD-ROM to fit a standard CDR, I'm going to have to start drinking.

We drink to REMEMBER motherfuckers, not to forget

Raxus

I was reviewing Anime Boston's schedule and Saturday is going to be crazy.

Also LOL at Kill la Kill being aired alongside the hentai panels.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I remember I got my PSP with R&C: Size Matters one Xmas along with....4-ish(?) games (Mega Man Powered Up, Patapon, Space Invaders Extreme, & another game or two if I recall correctly). Used it so much during high school as a MP3 player since my Zune's motherboard got fried & especially for anime to watch during lunch (especially during my senior year when I had a 2 hour lunch break since I was able to take a college class) and on the bus ride home.

....I just hate the fact I got it when I was 16, so I signed up making my parent's e-mail the master account & mine the sub account, unaware for about 4 years about PS+ & the Vita's restrictions, meaning I can't get PS+ content on my Vita without losing a ton of save datas & trophies.

bigkrev

I can track the exact day I bought a PSP, and here is the IGN article that sent me to the store. (This game had transfarring before transfarring was cool)

I picked up Wipeout, Lumines and Untold Legends: Brotherhood of the Blade. Wipeout rocked- and funny enough- had a glitch in it that allowed you a full web browser before the actual web browser was patched into the system. Lumines is only my favorite videogame of all time, and the less said about Untold Legends, the better.

I came in much later during the PSP life cycle. I didn't pick one up till Crisis Core. Still, the homebrew community on the PSP was fantastic and the system itself was stellar. I need to dig mine out and play through Type-0 now that the fan translation of the game is complete.

This and

I bought a PSP specifically for Kingdom Hearts BBS. I'm kinda obsessed with the KH series.

This were me, bought it when CC came out and the only other game I really wanted was BbS. PSP ended up being a beast so many good jrpgs

I was reviewing Anime Boston's schedule and Saturday is going to be crazy.

Also LOL at Kill la Kill being aired alongside the hentai panels.

*interest INTENSIFIES*

tumblr_mzk9c2aKdl1qakqfvo1_400.jpg

Talking about PSP nostalgia, I remember during middle school me and my friends would bring our PSPs every friday to school and play Liberty City Survivor all throughout recess. Those were the days.

Crocodile

Reading the Crimea thread I'm guessing some (like Dave) were banned for making "invasion" jokes (which are admittedly super tasteless but seem low overall on the "fucked up shit to say" spectrum considering what I've seen people say in other, unrelated threads)? I'm not sure why others were banned though. Overall though that thread seems super benign. Like I feel you have to actively want to be offended or try to be if that thread pisses you off (talking to nobody in particular in here).

* cough * so......

dandy reruns......

Not surprising if true. If when AoT comes to Toonami, we'll have more than a few weeks notice. They aren't going to pull "and AoT is coming to Toonami and is on the air RIGHT NOW!"

Tamanon

Banned
Reading the Crimea thread I'm guessing some (like Dave) were banned for making "invasion" jokes (which are admittedly super tasteless but seem low overall on the "fucked up shit to say" spectrum considering what I've seen people say in other, unrelated threads)? I'm not sure why others were banned though. Overall though that thread seems super benign. Like I feel you have to actively want to be offended or try to be if that thread pisses you off (talking to nobody in particular in here).

Not surprising if true. If when AoT comes to Toonami, we'll have more than a few weeks notice. They aren't going to pull "and AoT is coming to Toonami and is on the air RIGHT NOW!"

Sometimes a mod comes down hard on perceived misogyny. It looks weird sometimes.

I get banning for the invasion/rape jokes; those were out of line. Some of the others were questionable though. Hopefully Dave isn't gone for too long, he's been a good contributor to this thread.

Haven't seen the inFamous mega thread yet. Will try to comb through that whole thing later tonight, the game looks fantastic. I'm trying to hold off on getting a PS4 until the fall when Destiny drops but this might push me over the edge..

I'll never freak out about reviews again after letting 8.8 get to me.

I didn't take it as far as some people did but I was super bitter about it for weeks and then I ended up agreeing with the review after playing it.

Levyne

Banned
Reviews:

As long as a game is not fundamentally broken, I usually can find some enjoyment out of it. It's a hard thing to word without making it come across like I have low standards, or that I don't care about how well a game reviews (which is untrue). It's just that I am willing to concede that a game has poor voice acting, or questionable progression, or lack of balance, or any number of thingsas long as it makes up somewhere else in an interesting way, or has some other quality aspect to it that is enjoyable.

What I'm trying to say is that unless I game is a panned 2/10 release (Ride to Hell Retribution?) , then it will usually have something that I am willing to play it for, regardless if it's a 6, an 8.8, or an 11. I don't want to say I don't care about reviews, because I do, but so Infamous is scoreing low 80s on metacritic. What's the big deal? People have to justify it in that "oh it's a launch game", or "oh, it doesn't tread new ground, similar to the other games." Or that people have to compare these values to MS's exclusives because that's important somehow. What changes if it was a 9.3 or a 7.1? Just the whole discussion on that front is something I don't find value or excitement or a whole lot of purpose in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom