• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Mar14| No Time for Sissy Pig

Status
Not open for further replies.
This

Usopp's childhood friend gave the crew the ship, and he joined with her. Up till this point he's always been the one "fixing" her and keeping her afloat. This whole arc is about Usopp confronting his weakness and perceived uselessness. He felt his one job was keeping the Merry going, and now that she's "going to die" and they're "going to get a new boat" to Usopp that's like telling him the one thing he does is useless and it's "his fault" the ship is going to die.

Bottom of page MRGRGRGR quoting for people who were confused

There's also a ghost spirit but most people don't know about it since we skipped Skypiea

Well actually
they're about to mention that

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
There's also a ghost spirit but most people don't know about it since we skipped Skypiea

Well to be fair he doesn't know about that yet either.

Usopp crossed a few lines with me when his grief led him to you know rebel against his captain and disregard everybody else feelings about the Going Merry.

It's not grief though. He's confronted with the fact he's useless to the crew, in his mind the only worth he had to the crew was in keeping the ship going. Now that he can't he has had to come to terms with the fact he's kinda useless.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
I've read all of this arc before. This scene was and will always be stupid to me, just like having the Merry "cry" in the fight between Luffy and Usopp. Wonderful voice acting for sure in the dub, but it's just, eye roll worthy to me at this point. It was good between Luffy and him, but this? Dumb.

Again read this

This

Usopp's childhood friend gave the crew the ship, and he joined with her. Up till this point he's always been the one "fixing" her and keeping her afloat. This whole arc is about Usopp confronting his weakness and perceived uselessness. He felt his one job was keeping the Merry going, and now that she's "going to die" and they're "going to get a new boat" to Usopp that's like telling him the one thing he does is useless and it's "his fault" the ship is going to die.

This

Yeah but Audience apathy tends to come quick and this plot point has gone on for too long.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
For those of you who never saw Skypiea, yes, this scene actually happened, and no, it wasn't given any explanation until now.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
This is one of the great things about One Piece. It actually allows for scenes to build up and pay off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom