• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Mar14| No Time for Sissy Pig

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is only in the literal sense that a god comes from a machine, but in the literally sense of a plot point out of nowhere to get the plot out of a jam it isn't, after all this is the second scene of this being established.

that's why i don't call it ACTUAL out of nowhere deus ex machina, but i feel it's unconvincing as a plot point (even considering all the crazy stuff we've seen in One Piece) and it's certainly used like it. it's really damn close and i don't consider that a positive at all, basically, real legend or not.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Usopp's VA did a great job with this episode.

......I shudder to think how 4Kids would have handled this scene.

that's why i don't call it ACTUAL out of nowhere deus ex machina, but i feel it's unconvincing as a plot point (even considering all the crazy stuff we've seen in One Piece) and it's certainly used like it. it's really damn close and i don't consider that a positive at all, basically.

I point to VV

This is a real thing in folklore by the way.

It's a real legend, and this happens in the same arc where we see
a sword eat a devil fruit and become an Elephant
which IMO makes less sense then a folk legend coming to life

that's why i don't call it ACTUAL out of nowhere deus ex machina, but i feel it's unconvincing as a plot point (even considering all the crazy stuff we've seen in One Piece) and it's certainly used like it. it's really damn close and i don't consider that a positive at all, basically, real legend or not.

Considering all the legendary marine myths Oda throws in to this series, it's really not.

It's a real legend, and this happens in the same arc where we see
a sword eat a devil fruit and become an Elephant
which IMO makes less sense then a folk legend coming to life

being based on a real legend really doesn't excuse anything, it doesn't make it satisfying or convincing. as for the spoiler, that's hardly integral to the plot the way this was.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom