• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Mar15| the smartest anime is back!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
tumblr_nip46m7XfP1th99obo1_500.jpg

This is all wrong, this honor belongs to FLCL.

daveo42

Banned
This is all wrong, this honor belongs to FLCL.

Pretty much. Their short stuff/OVAs are superior to their full shows. I'm not saying any one is bad, but there are always sections in their anime that feel like nothing but wasted episodes.

Stop. Wing is still up there for best gundam, only gAge gen2 and seed/destiny hd has come close to being as definitively good as it. It holds up nicely.

fry-suspicious.gif

Seda

I don't really /get/ Evangelion.

Probably because I'm mentally stable and have a solid relationship with my parents, so the characters and angst are lost on me.

Bio-Frost

Time for me to randomly pop in and spout some stuff im not sure you guys will like.

I'm not sure how I feel about the entire last half of Gurren Laggan. It just felt like the entire thing just kept dragging along. By the past few weeks ive been hoping each time it comes on its the last one.

The ending was still great it just felt like so much of what happened in between could of been skipped or something.

Or it could be I just felt tone wise it was a different show once the timeskip happened. So its not like I hated the last half. It just felt so different to me because of the tone.

Gorillaz

Probably because I'm mentally stable and have a solid relationship with my parents, so the characters and angst are lost on me.

this comment with your avatar is killing me right now

so straight forward, I love it maggle

Jarate

Banned

I agree wholeheartedly. It has really good animation though, but all the angst and drama just were not very appealing to me, I only got a few episodes in before I stopped watching though

Time for me to randomly pop in and spout some stuff im not sure you guys will like.

I'm not sure how I feel about the entire last half of Gurren Laggan. It just felt like the entire thing just kept dragging along. By the past few weeks ive been hoping each time it comes on its the last one.

The ending was still great it just felt like so much of what happened in between could of been skipped or something.

Or it could be I just felt tone wise it was a different show once the timeskip happened. So its not like I hated the last half. It just felt so different to me because of the tone.

Gurren Lagann does change "tone" in the last half of season 2, and I can see where you're getting at that you liked season 1's ideas more.

I can do a stream of the movies for all you guys if ya'll want too. We can group watch it on friday night at some point

That doesn't mean you can't understand the characters or their problems. I imagine you've never been kidnapped by an alien and trained to fight other aliens but you can get Gohan and his angst in Dragon Ball Z.

I can get not getting the ending because it is snooker loopy, but the general characters and their angst are petty well established.

Puruzi

Banned
I wonder how many lurkers are here looking at our thread every saturday night afraid to join in our anime reactions

DONT BE AFRAID TO JOIN NEW PEOPLE, I DONT BITE

Actually, new people should be afraid. We get SAO 2. That's horrifying.

Raxus

Review time! Doing reviews before Bloodborne reviews reviews!

Dragonball Z

I loved this part in the original anime and it holds up today. It is a nice example of every character coming into play to help defeat an opponent that shonen rarely does anymore. A big shout out to the improved pacing as well as it massively improves fights in the series so they rarely drag and there is always something big happening every episode.

Jo la Jo

I love Mako, I love JoJo, I love this episode. I mentioned earlier this episode is one of my favorite in the series and the dub represents why that is rather well. It is a very silly episode giving much needed characterization to Mako other than monologue machine. She is a critical companion to Ryoko more so than Senketsu and keeps Ryoko grounded and focused on her goals. Mako's family's antics are pretty funny when they hit it rich as well as their behavior in the fight. It is just icing in the cake when the JoJo nod comes bursting out of the closet along with the ORA's! Now let's discuss Naruto Shippuden.

Naruto Shippuden

On second thought let's not review Shippuden, 'tis a silly place.

Inuyasha: Final Act

I kind of hated this episode. It is frustrating that even after the breakneck pacing the show still finds an episode to spin its wheels. I guess after the huge progress made last episode the author wanted to reiterate how important Tetsugia is so we have the hole episode recapping plot points we already know. Inuyasha starts to go full demon when he loses Tetsugia's powers, here is a list of Tetsuiga's abilities, etc. It is disappointing a Sesshomaru and Inuyasha confrontation would actually be a low point in the night.

TTGL

Hands down the episode of the night. I mark this episode as legendary and a scene all giant robo anime should aspire to. The show just says 'fuck it, top THIS' and fights a top of galaxies. Heavens were drilled, stories of a man were told, and...it should have ended there. Instead we get kind of a bummer of an epilogue which is divisive. I personally didn't like it but it is impossible to dent this episode from hitting legendary status. If I get enough requests I may do a full series review.

One Piece

Chopper is broken as fuck in monster point but there are obviously serious drawbacks. The focus of the episode was mostly Nami's fight and I found it both silly and pretty exciting even if it serves mostly as an explanation of Nami and Kalifa's abilities with most of the fight being saved for next episode. Prepare for more soapy lewdness.

DMWL

It is a shame this got canned and just got such a half hearted ending. It picks up again in the manga but I suppose with the amount of story that was cut it would have been tricky to continue this for another season and still get a satisfying ending. Overall the episode isn't bad with several big developments and Ganta Gun mach 2 being used. Shame several questions brought up during the episode will only get answered if you read the manga.

Ranking time!

Legendary tier:

TTGL

Good tier:

Kill la Kill
One Piece
DMWL

Silly_zpsoymv5rab.gif
tier:

Final Act
Naruto Shippuden

SAO II begins next week you guys...buckle up, it is going to be a bumpy ride.

LOLDSFAN

I wonder how many lurkers are here looking at our thread every saturday night afraid to join in our anime reactions

DONT BE AFRAID TO JOIN NEW PEOPLE, I DONT BITE

Well the guy who sent that in used to post here before he got permabanned.

So I finally got around to watching deadman wonderland and what the fuck? That was seriously the ending? Waste of fucking time.

Is SAO good?

2nd arc is great of season 1.
All of s2 is pretty great too, especially second half of s2.

SAO has a good jpn cast (all their character songs are splendid), the engdub isnt bad, Kirito's voice actor is one of the best of the decade currently.

Lead of SAO is one of the better ones in light novels. Personal favorite.

bigkrev

2nd arc is great of season 1.
All of s2 is pretty great too, especially second half of s2.

SAO has a good jpn cast (all their character songs are splendid), the engdub isnt bad, Kirito's voice actor is one of the best of the decade currently.

Lead of SAO is one of the better ones in light novels. Personal favorite.

Well this is unexpected

Shard

XBLAnnoyance

It makes much more sense if you are familiar with the sorts of heroes that populated mecha anime around that time.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Could you elaborate on this, as im not the biggest mecha fan on earth

I know that Evangelion was a super important landmark in the genre though

Well, an easy example to point to is Gurren Lagan, that is what mecha anime used to look like tonally before Evangellion took hold. Family dynamics aside, Evangellion is basically a commentary of what would actually happen if you had to rely on teenagers to save the world and what that would to to their minds. I get why Shinji doesn't want to get into that robot, he is fucking scared of a destiny that more or less got forced on him and he could come to a very messy end because of it.

Jarate

Banned
Well, an easy example to point to is Gurren Lagan, that is what mecha anime used to look like tonally before Evangellion took hold. Family dynamics aside, Evangellion is basically a commentary of what would actually happen if you had to rely on teenagers to save the world and what that would to to their minds. I get why Shinji doesn't want to get into that robot, he is fucking scared of a destiny that more or less got forced on him and he could come to a very messy end because of it.

but he got so much congratulations out of it

how can you be angsty when you get congratulated!

Finally beat Persona 4 Golden. Hands down the best game I have ever played.

Go play Earthbound or Mother 3

or a good SMT game like Nocturne :3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom