• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |MarApr17| Brought to you by Arby's and Old Spice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
So I'm reading spoilers of the Power Rangers movie...
What annoys me is some people will probably defend it, being all "well, you're just not patient! It's all about the build-up!" like with the Godzilla film from a few years back.

It's sounding like it's not gonna be much better than the two previous PR movies.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
What annoys me is some people will probably defend it, being all "well, you're just not patient! It's all about the build-up!" like with the Godzilla film from a few years back.

It's sounding like it's not gonna be much better than the two previous PR movies.

Paul Freeman seemed to be having a blast playing Ivan Ooze.

Gleeful%2BMurder.gif

Its going to be hard to top stuff like this.

Regiruler

Quite a few reviews seem positive.

Apparently it takes
92 minutes for them to put on their damn Power Ranger armor.

Bear in mind, this movie just a bit over 2 hours long.

Pff, that sounds bad. Just like I figured the movie would be honestly. Though it seems reception is more mixed (some positive, some negative) than anything for the film from what I'm seeing of reviews randomly, but there's very few reviews out so far. I'm still remembering the two Power Rangers movies I saw as a kid. Mainly Turbo... That was some movie alright...

bigkrev

Apparently it takes
92 minutes for them to put on their damn Power Ranger armor.

Bear in mind, this movie just a bit over 2 hours long.

I'm perfectly fine with that. This is a Superhero Origin movie, all of which (except for Thor 1), were over 2 hours long, and have a build to their final conflict. This movie, based on the trailers, features civilian powers, which they get early on, and they train until the final battle, which is where they get the suits and you have your big climatic finale

It would be incredibly stupid for them to get the suits like 20 minutes into the movie, have a fight scene, and then build to ANOTHER fight at the end of the movie that's no different from the first morphed fight. That's the issue the Transformers movie's had- there was no difference in the action scenes through the whole movie, and it led to them feeling like 6 hour long slogs of movies. Power Rangers seems to be smartly pacing this, buy having all of its big dumb CG saved for the final battle

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Gonna go silly this month with my custom avatar.

The best Kid from Chrono Cross. Properly formatted, won't get me banned. I'll pick the winner either Tuesday or Wednesday.

i have some problems with the newest American Godzilla movie but that complaint always struck me as weird because so many Godzilla movies are already that way. Around that movie's release it became apparent that people who were familiar with Godzilla movies through cultural osmosis thought they were like 90 minute wrestling matches between people in rubber suits when that's not the case. The human element almost always has to pick up the slack in some regard, which was the real problem with that movie because any interest in the characters died with Bryan Cranston.

bigkrev

i have some problems with the newest American Godzilla movie but that complaint always struck me as weird because so many Godzilla movies are already that way. Around that movie's release it became apparent that people who were familiar with Godzilla movies through cultural osmosis thought they were like 90 minute wrestling matches between people in rubber suits when that's not the case. The human element almost always has to pick up the slack in some regard, which was the real problem with that movie because any interest in the characters died with Bryan Cranston.

I find it funny that as someone who LOVES dumb blockbusters, the 2 that have been the most well regarded the last few years- the Planet of the Apes movies and Godzilla, were 2 of my least favorite blockbusters. You nailed exactly what I hated about Godzilla (the death of the only character you give a shit about 30 minutes in), and I just found Apes to be slow and plodding.

I see a -lot- of dumb movies in theaters each year (I'm up to 13 theater trips this year, and Power Rangers will be 14 and GITS will be 15 by the end of the month), so I feel like I can tell the difference between a good blockbuster and a bad one.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
That's the thing, I always use Jaws as a good example of how to build up the creature, along with the fact I actually care about what's happening & how the plot still centers around the creature whose name is the damn title of the film. With Godzilla, I don't feel like it's his movie, it's "giant alien monster attacking Earth vs. solider who you want to care for cuz he has a wife & kid, oh btw godzilla might appear for a few seconds every now & again." It's like "OH SHIT GUYS, HERE HE IS" for about 5 seconds, but then back to the uninteresting characters. I didn't feel like we didn't actually see the monsters attacking the cities. Godzilla caused a giant-ass wave in Hawaii, but all he did was just get out of the water, then BAM GOTTA CUT AWAY TO BLAND MCGENERIC'S FAMILY.

Meanwhile, the original movie still holds up quite a bit because simply put, I feel like Godzilla has an actual purpose, he's not on screen often, but it still centers around his actions. Hell, even that lame '90s one felt like it was focusing more on the monster & what he was doing. I know later on in the series, it's more about "aw crap, a new giant monster is attacking, what're we gonna dOH DAMN, IT'S GODZILLA, HE'S GONNA FIGHT IT", but like ya said, they at least made ya care about the characters semi-relating to the plot, & that Hollyhood one just didn't do it. & yes, the fact Cranston wasn't in the movie more sucked as well.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
You mean people didn't enjoy watching Kick Ass and the Army dudes carrying a nuke around with Godzilla in the background?

cntr

Banned
in terms of dumb action movies, can't wait for the new pacific rim. the first one was the only movie I ever watched more than once in a theater.

awesomest dumb movie and dumbest awesome movie ever made, yo.

Josh5890

So I've been watching SAO since you all keep talking about it. I'm at the point where
Kirito has entered the fairy MMO
. I feel like things are about to go farther downhill. It has been alright to this point.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Radiant Historia comeback! We in there!

*looks at Tokyo Ghoul Wikipedia page* Oh there's video games. *mobile and Vita* Oh wait no there isn't.

Morlas

In space is clearly the best season, also i don't care how it reviews i'm gonna watch the Power Rangers movie and probably enjoy it,
The reviews didn't stop me from liking BvS after all.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I went and found the last episode of Jack and watched it again. Goddamn that fucking sequence in the tomb is so tense and beautiful and amazing and my god the music...

Morlas

Seriously if they can keep up the quality to this level for even a few more of the episodes samurai jack might just pass Bebop as my GOAT animated show.

Raxus

I went and found the last episode of Jack and watched it again. Goddamn that fucking sequence in the tomb is so tense and beautiful and amazing and my god the music...

Bah I am looking up the official name of the song and coming up blank.

The big drop off in viewers still happens with JoJo and Gundam, but post-Gundam the viewership was actually pretty largely consistent.

Super and Kai definitely aren't drawing the Freeza-saga level numbers though. Between Super being a recap for the Battle of Gods movie and Kai still being pretty fillery, i can see why not as many people are tuning in.

Xe4

Banned
Ratings time.

download.png

I think people are confused as to what exactly Sand Whale and Me is supposed to be.

Granted, so am I.

How does Sand Whale have such a big drop off, and then DBZ a recovery??? Shit's five fucking minutes, do people turn off their boxes in that time, and then turn them on for Kai?
Glad to see SJ killing it, though.

Whoo doggy, Sand Whale and Me isn't even a full show and it's still ratings cancer. I cant believe people would actively go out of there way to not watch the channel for something the length of a commercial. AS gotta turn that shit off pronto.

The big drop off in viewers still happens with JoJo and Gundam, but post-Gundam the viewership was actually pretty largely consistent.

Super and Kai definitely aren't drawing the Freeza-saga level numbers though. Between Super being a recap for the Battle of Gods movie and Kai still being pretty fillery, i can see why not as many people are tuning in.

I think a drop-off is expected going from Kai to JoJo. JoJo to Gundam drop is pretty expected as well. At least for me.

Ratings overall seem pretty expected to me. We'll have to see what the new lineup does with HxH and Gundam swapping places and Tokyo Ghoul being inserted this week.

Sand Whale and Me also probably threw off people that aren't in the know about what's going to air on Toonami. At least it's only five weeks (four remaining)... Then again, it's five weeks.

I still have it on, I guess, and see how weird it can get...

Sand Whale and Me definitely seems like it wasn't a good idea.

I mean I'm sure when Toonami or Oshi approached the other the idea sounded a lot better on paper then it did in practice. If it was Toonami who was approached how do you say no to the guy who did the og gits movie?

Josh5890

Sand Whale and Me also probably threw off people that aren't in the know about what's going to air on Toonami. At least it's only five weeks (four remaining)... Then again, it's five weeks.

I still have it on, I guess, and see how weird it can get...

It's like a car crash that you don't want to watch but you can't help yourself. It draws you in.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
See this is why the Nielsen ratings never make sense. I think TV companies should also start looking to Facebook & Twitter hype to see how a show is doing since not everyone is a Nielsen family.

See this is why the Nielsen ratings never make sense. I think TV companies should also start looking to Facebook & Twitter hype to see how a show is doing since not everyone is a Nielsen family.

I also have to wonder how these shows are tracking through streaming services like Direct TV Now, Sling, and PS Vue?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom