• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |MarApr17| Brought to you by Arby's and Old Spice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
yZMvQrM.gif

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
The real King Kamehameha lead a pretty incredible life and was involved in some huge battles to unite the islands. Kind of surprised there has never been a big budget movie made about him. The Battle of Oahu was brutal.

war.jpg

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Unrelated but Roshi is also IMMORTAL...despite being killed. I'm pretty sure when wished back he retained his immortality.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
well now Turtle Devastation Wave sounds like something the shredder would use so he could dine on turtle soup

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I haven't had the chance to ask yet, but to first-time watchers, what are your final thoughts on Phantom Blood and Battle Tendency?

I have few complaints about Phantom Blood, mainly Speedwagon. Otherwise it is Bram Stoker's Fist of the North Star.

Battle Tendency...Eh. It's pretty good. Jim Jam bugs me from time to time, he's too good at his job. It's a bit slow to get going after they leave NYC. Speedwagon, teased to be dead, only dies in the final episode, offscreen.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Could Kurapika defeat Kars if he was a member of the Phantom Troupe? Or rather could Togashi's bat shit crazy defeat Araki's bat shit crazy?

I haven't had the chance to ask yet, but to first-time watchers, what are your final thoughts on Phantom Blood and Battle Tendency?

Phantom Blood was pretty damn good. Kinda slipped during the midway mark but picked up the slack for the final 3 episodes. Dio was easily the best aspect of part 1. Battle Tendency was great. Much more memorable than Phantom Blood and was overall much stronger. Can't wait for part 3 to show up.

On a related note I don't get why people hated the dub, I liked the accents. They added to the overall camp factor of the show. That said, the Italian accents were absolute garbage and I'm switching to Japanese the next time either Bryce Papenbrook or Stephanie Sheh do their shitty Italian accent.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
There's really only one or two voices/accent that weren't good (Stroheim's energy is nowhere near as high as the JPN one), but otherwise, the dub was better than I was expecting & if anything, added to the campiness by hearing the actual dialogue/describing the insanity in English.

Part 3's test dub was honestly fine for the most part as well. My only nitpick was Abdol's deeper than expected, but still tolerable voice.

cntr

Banned
iirc, the story behind the kamehameha was that Toriyama wanted to make an attack named after a "turtle" (kame), but couldn't think of a good catchy name. So his wife suggested that he name it after the Hawaiian king, and so, kamehameha.

The actual Kamehameha was fuckin' batshit. Worth reading about him!

After seeing an
old lady turn into a flying bike that feeds off her daughters Nen
I'm not sure who's crazier.

On a subject similar to Hawaii and Dragon Ball - even Disneyland is supposedly an actual location in Yu Yu Hakusho - as far as the original dialogue in the Japanese version of the anime's concerned. (The dubbed line is instead just "Let's go to the park")

Actually, wait...maybe that's not a Togashi thing since I couldn't find that scene of Yusuke & Keiko in the manga.

Still, "South America" also is a vivid thing I remember reading in the Japanese version of the anime. Though, I haven't found out if that was canon yet

Obviously, Yu-Gi-Oh is another shonen established to have our world exist among its own
shadow /s
realms.

I dunno, something about having real-life people, locations, or systems exist in some children's cartoon fantasy is batshit to me

cntr

Banned
There's a Pokemon game with characters based on actual Japanese history, including the guy who had tuberculosis.

I dunno, something about having real-life people, locations, or systems exist in some children's cartoon fantasy is batshit to me
To be fair, YYH is actually set on the real Earth, and not an alternate Earth like HxH. So of course Disneyland and South America would exist in YYH.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Stone Ocean
is going to weird some of you out.
... Assuming they get away with those references which they probably won't.

cntr

Banned
I love overthinking some of the weird implications in shows. Like, did you know that Bulma is actually from the Dragonball equivalent of America?

There's a Pokemon game with characters based on actual Japanese history, including the guy who had tuberculosis.

To be fair, YYH is actually set on the real Earth, and not an alternate Earth like HxH. So of course Disneyland and South America would exist in YYH.
Ah right. That crossover game, "Pokémon Conquest"?

I'm just simply noting how both Araki and Togashi all this time could be right at home in getting away with mundane realism that sorta contrasts with the nature of the shonen demographic before really getting into how wild their imaginations are

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom