• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |MarApr17| Brought to you by Arby's and Old Spice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
There's a few things I like more in Super but also other things (mainly the pacing, but movies & tv are obviously different) I prefer in Battle of Gods.

Seda

I don't really mind things like some additional Pilaf antics, but I was legitimately laughing at how overdone the SSG transformation was.

Line_HTX

I went back to read last week's Super, and wow, y'all. Sure it sort of dragged a little, but come on, it wasn't that bad.

The music was pretty cool though.

I like the meaningfully added things to the bog arc, but the pacing is waaaaay too slow.

Also vegeta dancing and singing > vegeta cooking takoyaki

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Maybe it's because it hasn't been shown yet, but I feel like Pilaf + 2 have less purpose here than in BoG where, despite how little it seemed they contributed to the story, had some sort of point.

Literally, they appear on the ship, eat, leave, then are all "omg we need to go back", where they just feel....."there".

Tenumi

Banned
The one change that bugs me the most is, how in BOG,
Videl gets shot in the leg by Mai, and Dende heals her which reveals to him (and the audience) that Videl is pregnant
. However, in Super, that... doesn't happen at all and Videl just tells them when they are trying the SSG ritual. Super kind of just tosses it out as a convenient fix instead of something to remember later when it becomes plot relevant.

...Either that or I really wasn't paying attention a few episodes ago.

The thing about the Super Saiyan God transformation is that it being as stupidly overblown as it was doesn't even feel consistent within the show itself. The series seems to present everything with a bit of a wink, and Beerus's threat to the planet has been an on-and-off joke for the past few weeks. Like, the idea that SSG gets an ANGELIC CHORUS after half an episode of buildup is silly on its own, but in a show that doesn't seem to be taking this stuff all that seriously to begin with, it just becomes nonsense that doesn't seem the least bit self-aware.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Videl gets shot in the leg by Mai, and Dende heals her which reveals to him (and the audience) that Videl is pregnant
. However, in Super, that... doesn't happen at all and Videl just tells them when they are trying the SSG ritual. Super kind of just tosses it out as a convenient fix instead of something to remember later when it becomes plot relevant.

Yeah, see, this is another reason why Pilaf + Co. worked in the movie as well. I would also argue they were a bit funnier there compared to "THIS IS THE WAY WE ROW THE BOAT".

I do wonder why these changes were made, if they needed to stand out more compared to the movie version so they could get more viewers or if Toriyama was like "nah, this is how I would've done it".

Yeah, see, this is another reason why Pilaf + Co. worked in the movie as well. I would also argue they were a bit funnier there compared to "THIS IS THE WAY WE ROW THE BOAT".

I do wonder why these changes were made, if they needed to stand out more compared to the movie version so they could get more viewers or if Toriyama was like "nah, this is how I would've done it".

easier to pad things out when you make these changes

Preble

Ugh gonna miss One Piece, but honestly I could barely make it to 2:30 AM most nights.

Guess I'll catch up with the manga.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I dunno, I like the red God aura, but I really don't like the blue one.
I think the red works better because it's a color associated with anger, which is what usually triggers super saiyans, while blue is meant to be more calming.

Though I really wish there was more to the transformations aside from "omg my hair is slightly different & now there's spark appearing" that makes it look like a DeviantArt recoloring.

"YO THIS IS MY ORIGINAL DBZ CHARACTER NAMED ROKU CUZ HE HAS PURPLE SAIYAN HAIR THAT'S CURLY, DO NOT STEAL"

Oh wow. I was ready and excited for Sabaody too.

My excitement for Toonami just got cut in fucking half.

All that's left is the Toonami Showdown podcast and you guys.

God... It's not going to feel right though. I won't be able to watch Samurai Jack tonight feeling okay about myself.

Yeah. I think my excitement for tonight is gone.

On the other hand I'm going to be EXTRA fucking hard on Shippuden from now on. Because seriously, fuck off.

Why is Dende even there anyways? Shouldn't he stay at the lookout instead of chilling at someone's birthday party?

Tonight on Toonami, Jack has come back from the past as the battle to undo the future that is Aku renews once more, Goku attempts to tame the power of a god as he faces off with Beerus, Goten and Trunks go all out in the Juniors Final and the winner gets a chance to beat the shit outta Satan, Caesar launches a desperate solo raid on the Pillar Men's stronghold while Lisa Lisa reveals Caesar's deepest secrets to Jojo, the Zeon Remnant forces successfully descend to Earth with the Unicorn in their custody once again, Gon and Killua reunite with an old friend while the Phantom Troupe begin to make their move, Naruto is trapped at the cabin while Hotaru is captured making it a race against time to prevent the forbidden jutsu from falling into the wrong hands, Luffy decides it's time to wreck a perfectly good resort in order to get back Sayo and find the secret of the treasure that Sayo and Rina's father sought, and all hell breaks loose as the Superintendent-General's press conference turns into a mass assassination attempt with no explanation for the culprits' actions.

8:00 - Dragon Ball Super - 10 - Show Us, Goku! The Power of a Super Saiyan God!
11:00 - Samurai Jack - 53 - XCII
11:30 - Dragon Ball Super - 10 - Show Us, Goku! The Power of a Super Saiyan God!
12:00 - Dragon Ball Z Kai: The Final Chapters - 108 - The Junior Champ Is Finally Decided! Who Will Fight Against Mr. Satan?
12:30 - JoJo's Bizarre Adventure - 20 - Young Caesar
1:00 - Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn RE:0096 - 10 - From the Scorching Earth
1:30 - HUNTER×HUNTER - 42 - Defend × And × Attack
3:00 - Naruto Shippuden - 149 - Separation
3:30 - One Piece - 383 - The Great Scramble for Treasure! Collapse! Spa Island!
4:00 - Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex - 6 - MEME

wow forgot today is springing forward. Thanks for the schedule.

bigkrev

So I drove almost an hour to see the SAO movie in a theater today.
I didn't hate it? The female characters are all shown having fun and functioning as human beings that AREN'T just lusting after Kirito (also, they ship Suguha to camp for the entire movie which is a good thing), there is an actual focus on Kirito and Asuna's relationship that is mostly well done (there is a pretty bad scene in the middle of the movie though!), and Klein is still the jobber to end all jobbers

Also, until midway through the movie, I thought they did a good job with Kirito not being as much of a Gary Stu? There is a female character introduced who doesn't instantly need his dick, and as the game they play is AR instead of VR, they show Kirito being shitty at the game and tripping over himself because he's in the real world, and he's not in shape and thus can't do anything he is trying to do. Granted, they fuck this up at a point, where in the span of about 3 minutes he goes from bumbling fool to being the Beater we all know and love, but if you shut the movie off halfway, you might think they learned their lesson?

That said, the villians idea is the most ABSURD thing ever,
Guy has his daughter die in SAO, so his plan is to create an AI of her. In order to do this, he needs data from inside SAO. So he crates an AR game, and uses boss designs from SAO to draw in survivors of the game, and when they "die" in the AR simulation, he steals their memories of SAO from them, leaving them with hazy memories of their time in SAO. Yes, this is actually his plan!
The story also falls off a fucking cliff at the end, where looking for any sort of logic will just leave you with a headache.

The battles are fun to watch, the music and animation are good, so I guess you should watch it? The theater I was at sold alcohol, so i'd reccomend getting some drinks in you before seeing it though

Mizerman

That said, the villians idea is the most ABSURD thing ever,
Guy has his daughter die in SAO, so his plan is to create an AI of her. In order to do this, he needs data from inside SAO. So he crates an AR game, and uses boss designs from SAO to draw in survivors of the game, and when they "die" in the AR simulation, he steals their memories of SAO from them, leaving them with hazy memories of their time in SAO. Yes, this is actually his plan!
The story also falls off a fucking cliff at the end, where looking for any sort of logic will just leave you with a headache.

So basically, another day at the office.

Goddammit.

Going into Samurai Jack this bummed out wasn't something I was prepared for. Like I literally just came home and found this shit out.

At least those cancerous Adult Swim Forums died before One Piece on Toonami did. Would not have liked to see the reactions to that there.

I may be tempted to buy those DVDs now, if only to support Funimation's dub. NOT necessarily Toei's handling of the anime though. Toei keeps pissing me off when it comes to that.

cntr

Banned
AFAIK, Toriyama wasn't that directly involved in Super at this stage. Most of those were Toei studio decisions.

Remember your training, everybody. We'll wait for the TV premiere at 11 with the rest of America.

Won't be that hard for me. Currently making fun of the Kids Choice Awards with my younger sister.

After that I'll probably take a cold shower, post something emo on Twitter, and then cry into my pillow until Jack starts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom