• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |MarApr17| Brought to you by Arby's and Old Spice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
I'd just start reading the manga, honestly. One Piece becomes pretty much unwatchable after the next arc ends.

Indeed, we are not actually losing all that much given how badly the series takes a nosedive, and keep in mind the pacing in Thrillerbark was pretty bad.

cntr

Banned
Hm... judging from Demarco's reaction and how sudden this was, I think what happened was that Toei started demanding more money for licensing more One Piece, sort of like what nearly happened with Dragonball Super. But since One Piece just isn't profitable enough, Demarco got the orders from on high to cut it and get Tokyo Ghoul for cheap.

I think they were planning to drop One Piece eventually to make room for new shows, but Toei made it happen sooner than they were planning to.

Jarate

Banned
Naruto is a petulant disease that needs to be nixed from the block too. I'm pretty pissed they're taking off One Piece
then again so did I

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Now that the next One Piece arc isn't airing, I suppose I'll point out now the bizarre fact that both One Piece and Rave (Master) introduce mermaids with talking starfish companions that become major supporting characters for the arc, in Camie and Celia respectively. Celia was introduced in Rave back in 2004, which is definitely before Camie was given a speaking role in One Piece, but possibly after Camie appeared in a One Piece cover side story?

Camie is a fun supporting character, but Celia knew water magic and had a fight that I recall being neat. I don't know, I haven't read the Rave manga in a long time. Oddly enough, Celia's starfish ends up accompanying the Rave crew, but purely for gags where they go, "Wait, why are you still here?!"

Camie and Pappug debuted in 2001 in the manga. It was the chapter with the conclusion of Zoro vs. Mr. 1. In Arabasta.

Oda is ridiculous.

cntr

Banned
Oh, yeah, Camie and Pappug are originally from Hachi's cover arc, which ran during Alabasta.

(Hachi = the octopus guy from Arlong Park.)

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Hm... judging from Demarco's reaction and how sudden this was, I think what happened was that Toei started demanding more money for licensing more One Piece, sort of like what nearly happened with Dragonball Super. But since One Piece just isn't profitable enough, Demarco got the orders from on high to cut it and get Tokyo Ghoul for cheap.

I think they were planning to drop One Piece eventually to make room for new shows, but Toei made it happen sooner than they were planning to.
This sounds possible. It sounded like a combination of "we're not getting the ratings we want", "it's not worth spending the money to get future arcs", & "we need a new premiere slot to keep things fresh."

On the one hand, I heard after the following arc, the anime's pacing gets AWFUL, & it was clear from Thriller Bark that Toei was really trying to stretch things out, so maybe in the end, it was a blessing in disguise, but at the same time, it just feels so out of left field considering we only got tonight & then next week along with "oh, the replacement show has a rather negative reputation" & "how the hell is shippuden still around?!"

Plus I won't lie, during the Enies Lobby fights (I think it was when we focused on Nami vs. Soap Soap Lady), it finally made me check out the manga, which is something the Skypiea arc failed to make me do back in the day.

This sounds possible. It sounded like a combination of "we're not getting the ratings we want", "it's not worth spending the money to get future arcs", & "we need a new premiere slot to keep things fresh."

On the one hand, I heard after the following arc, the anime's pacing gets AWFUL, & it was clear from Thriller Bark that Toei was really trying to stretch things out, so maybe in the end, it was a blessing in disguise, but at the same time, it just feels so out of left field considering we only got tonight & then next week along with "oh, the replacement show has a rather negative reputation" & "how the hell is shippuden still around?!"

Plus I won't lie, during the Enies Lobby fights (I think it was when we focused on Nami vs. Soap Soap Lady), it finally made me check out the manga, which is something the Skypiea arc failed to make me do back in the day.

This was the exact moment I started watching One Piece (and Toonami for the first time in nearly a decade). I thought Nami's bubble design was the actual art style and I hated it at first.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
The part where they were talking about how "smells ruined a show for them" got hilarious.

Also, how did you not bring up the dark story of how Dominoes had to end the Noid character when on the wiki page? It's possibly one of the most bonkers reason a company had to retire a mascot.

....& thanks to all the pizza talk, I got the urge to buy a frozen pizza to treat myself during the weekend.

cntr

Banned
Also, Joseph does doubt the whole "allying with the Nazis" thing in the Japanese anime just as much he does in the English dub. Same for the manga. But the Japanese anime calls them "German soldiers" too for some reason, though the manga didn't.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I was gonna say, even in the Japanese version of the anime, they're very careful with the whole "nazi" thing to the point they actually flat-out censored part of Stroheim's arm giving the salute in last week's episode (at least, I'm pretty sure it was).

Even Namco was like "wtf, no, we ain't keeping Stroheim's default outfit" when they localized Eyes of Heaven, so you can only have Stroheim be shirtless without the....german soldier attire, but I'm guessing that was more for the EU release.

cntr

Banned
Battle Tendency was Araki's take on Indiana Jones, so he was probably going for a joke/twist by having the Nazis be sort-of-allies instead of the primary enemies.

I'm pretty sure that's why Joseph has that weird fake tumblr story where he beats up a racist, haha. Gotta make sure you know Joseph's not that kind of guy.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I got bored & decided for some reason, to look back at the reactions to Black Lagoon involving those vampire twins.

Damn, I want to own that show someday & rewatch those episodes with my friend just to see the look on his face. Hell, I should rewatch the entire series someday.

Need to watch that with my sister. She only saw the episodes where Rock and Revy argue & practically get shipped with each other, then the episodes of Roberta's introduction. (Each of those being the ones where I think Revy was the least badass)
There's been this thing with her watching good anime that happen to also have really good dubs, so I might even consider getting her and her boyfriend through Yu Yu Hakusho and Baccano!

I myself need to catch up on
FMA and
Cowboy Bebop/maybe also Dandy season 2

https://twitter.com/LarryWentworth/status/839684845576024064

C6co6YSU0AAkNJ1.jpg

Already have a plan for catching up on Code Geass

If you're looking for a reason why the cut-off point for OP is what it is, next week would be the end of the "season" in how Funi breaks up the show, at least on their streaming platform.

If you're looking for a reason why the cut-off point for OP is what it is, next week would be the end of the "season" in how Funi breaks up the show, at least on their streaming platform.

Of course and it would likely be time to renew the contract for x number of seasons and its not cost effective to do so. They've probably known this was gonna happen for awhile now and just let OP finish out its current contract since it wouldn't be cost effective to pull it early.

cntr

Banned
The more I think about it, yeah it's definitely something from Toei's side. Neither Toonami or Adult Swim would pull One Piece so suddenly, it must've been Toei screwing things up licensing-wise.

The more I think about it, yeah it's definitely something from Toei's side. Neither Toonami or Adult Swim would pull One Piece so suddenly, it must've been Toei screwing things up licensing-wise.

Just because its a sudden announcement doesn't mean it's something Toonami hasn't known about for awhile.

cntr

Banned
Just because its a sudden announcement doesn't mean it's something Toonami hasn't known about for awhile.
Sure, but there's also things like the line-up promo, Demarco seemingly being disappointed and mentioning "legal issues", and how it's timed to be around the same time of year One Piece started in the first place.

They probably called Toei a few weeks ago to get another year of episodes, but they suddenly raised the prices, and Adult Swim didn't think One Piece had enough ratings to make that profitable. So it got cut and replaced with a show they already had ready for later. That's the simplest explanation, and totally a thing Toei would do (and nearly did so with DBSuper.)

Morlas

Yeah the problem with toei is they have the most popular and successful anime based on manga worldwide so they can do whatever the hell they want really.

Tamanon

Banned
I mean, they definitely tried with One Piece, but you knew it wasn't long for the block as it just kept sloping further back on the lineup. It's just not a show the West anime watchers want to embrace for whatever reason.

Personally, I've never liked it but I gave it another shot and just couldn't get into it. C'est la vie.

cntr

Banned
I mean, they definitely tried with One Piece, but you knew it wasn't long for the block as it just kept sloping further back on the lineup. It's just not a show the West anime watchers want to embrace for whatever reason.
Probably because when anime started getting big in English speaking countries, there was no other show quite like One Piece at the time. And since 4Kids butchered One Piece, people getting into anime didn't have a chance to used to the goofy One Piece style, and instead preferred shows like DBZ or Naruto, and those preferences've just stuck through the years. Combine that with how much back material you need to have watched or read, and...yeah.

One Piece is really popular in Europe, for comparison. They never got a butchered dub, so the series is just fine there. (...plus they're more friendly to comics and animation, but that's getting into other issues.)

One Piece leaving is really sad, but after the next arc (which is really good and well-paced btw), it takes a considerable dip in quality/pacing for a while after that. Honestly, if you're still interested in watching One Piece, like I'm sure a lot of people are, there are much better ways to consume it. OP is a really bad show to watch weekly.

Jack tonight tho! Gonna try to make it home from work to be able to watch it live.

Personally, I've never liked it but I gave it another shot and just couldn't get into it. C'est la vie.

It took getting to Enies Lobby and Marineford which were around episodes 250 and 450 respectively. Granted I actually skipped to them w/ the foreknowledge of the characters I had from somewhat genuinely enjoying whatever ounces of faithfulness that 4kids actually left intact from back then (watched the actual earlier content later). This is what it took make it into a series that I loved (back then, but I still do have a fondness for it)

Oh, well cntr just summed that up!

Anyway as it's been previously mentioned I might go on ahead and check out "One Pace"

bigkrev

So, I go away for a week and EVERYTHING CHANGES?!?

I can't say i'm sorry to see One Piece go- I'm not a fan of the show, and it going away means we have a slot for new programs, as One Piece was never going to end.

Raxus

Favorite Jack episode annnnd go!

The Princess and The Bounty Hunters

latest

Funny my favorite episode is one that barely features the titular character. Much like Dr. Who's Blink, this episode focuses on a different bunch of characters out on contract to hunt down the Samurai himself. While Jack is featured very little his presence is constantly felt as the Princess dismantles each of the Assassin's plans to take out Jack solo. Each plan follows a different artstyle based on the character telling the story. The final moments can't be missed if you haven't caught this episode yet. It combines everything great about Samurai Jack. Funny writing, great action scenes and inventive artstyles
with a pretty gut wrenching emotional wallop to boot.

Runner up: Jack and the Haunted House

cntr

Banned
I'd bet on Tokyo Ghoul coming on after Jojo actually, since Mob Psycho's the most likely replacement for Battle Tendency, right? I'd imagine they'd want to keep it simple instead of moving down Tokyo Ghoul a few weeks after it airs, especially right on the heels of One Piece's departure shaking up the schedule.

Could go either way.

Now I don't get to rant over how much I dislike the whole Marineford saga as a whole and how it made me lose some of the love I originally had for One Piece as it airs...
And the time skip didn't fucking help either (those are rarely done well in shounen). Or how Fishman Island was an ultimately underwhelming and overly long arc after it being mentioned for so long.
Drats.

cntr

Banned
11:00 - Jack
11:30 - Super
12:00 - Kai
12:30 - Jojo (and later, Mob)
01:00 - Tokyo Ghoul
01:30 - Hunter x Hunter
02:00 - Unicorn
02:30 - Naruto
03:00 - GitS

That's my guess for the schedule.

Now I don't get to rant over how much I dislike the whole Marineford saga as a whole and how it made me lose some of the love I originally had for One Piece as it airs...
And the time skip didn't fucking help either (those are rarely done well in shounen). Or how Fishman Island was an ultimately underwhelming and overly long arc after it being mentioned for so long.
Drats.

I feel like the One Piece Time Skip really didn't come into its own until the parts of it that started to focus on Trafalgar Law.

But honestly, the pacing of One Piece goes to absolute shit around this point. Like literally the point where Toei goes 1 Chapter = 1 Episode level pacing. So, while it sucks I'm not at all sad to see One Piece leave the block.

I'm also hoping that after the Pain arc, Shippuden leaves the block as well, because Shippuden's pacing also goes to shit and enters filler hell again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom