• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |May14| Toonami just got a lot Cooler

Status
Not open for further replies.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
zlCfzR6do-ks5ihGK8

zlCfzR6gr0E3FTDsbd

zlCfzR6i3c8xbrWvnn

Bonus:

zlCfzR6fQaEdPqHKnE

Later.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Next week on Toonami:

11:30 - Attack on Titan - 3 - A Dim Light Amid Despair: Humanity's Comeback, Part 1
12:00 - Bleach - 345 - Uryuu is Attacked, A Threat Draws Near the Friends!
12:30 - Space Dandy - 7 - A Race in Space is Dangerous, Baby
1:00 - Naruto Shippuden - 20 - Hiruko vs. Two Kunoichi!
1:30 - One Piece - 254 - Nami's Soul Cries Out! Straw Hat Luffy Makes a Comeback!
2:00 - Blue Exorcist - 13 - Proof
2:30 - Black Lagoon - 9 - Maid to Kill
3:00 - Beware the Batman - 2 - Secrets
3:30 - Naruto - 20 - A New Chapter Begins: The Chunin Exam!
4:00 - Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood - 13 - Beasts of Dublith
4:30 - Samurai Jack - 16 - Jack and the Smackback
5:00 - Star Wars: The Clone Wars - 39 - Bounty Hunters
5:30 - Sym-Bionic Titan - 11 - The Fortress of Deception

Later.

Seda

RWTtGhp.png

Ha, I like this one. The expression on her face and the exaggeration on the arm/fingers (with the heart) give a good illusion of motion.

YcIZW7u.png

#savetherabbits

I really can't get into SBT it just has too much boring high school drama for me to care. The amazing mech action sequences are too few to keep me interested. I don't like the main trio at all, the show just doesn't do it for me.

Seda

I really can't get into SBT it just has too much boring high school drama for me to care. The amazing mech action sequences are too few to keep me interested. I don't like the main trio at all, the show just doesn't do it for me.

The second half is less school focused, but the aspect doesn't truly leave until like the last three episodes.

You might like episodes 11, 16, 18-20. I feel that the characters become much stronger in the second half. Not trying to say "You're wrong!" , just a genuine opinion of mine that the interactions become less comical/cartoony and more geniune in nature I feel, especially starting around episode 13. The show becomes a little less monster of the week too.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
On the other hand I think the show loses most of its charm after this episode and as the real meat of the season kicks in all the joy gets lost and it turns into another generic action show.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Thx as always guys :) Eternally appreciated!

lazybones18 - I'm sure there has to be a Robot Chicken Sketch out there where that happens!

foxuzamaki - SO WEIRD to draw in DCAU for someone like here, I'm glad it (mostly) worked! ha.

Man God - I was admiring her WAAAIIIITTT all ep too, and then I go and draw her all skinny due to the style mimicry!

Seda - Great points :) I was going for a Panty&Stocking style there, but I guess I snuck in more Ameri-mation there than in many other places, ha. #SaveDaWabbittt~

BassForever - The HS stuff never bothered me, but of course, I wasn't bothered by the split of themes in IGPX, so I have a higher tolerance than most it seems...

lazybones18 - #wabbitseason

Schadenfreude - I didn't remember until after Bleach that I planned to do alt styles tonight, ha. She DOES look like Mustang Kinda! I wanted to draw more from AoTitan and Bleach, but time...

BassForever - I figured giving her some Arachne like features were fitting! XD Glad ya like!

---

Batman was the oddest buzzkill after Black Lagoon. Toy colored guns mixed with "Kill the Bat!" was... odd. I expected more *BEEP*s with my speech after BL. I don't mind the daker style it has, and that KINDA fits, but I also kind of wish we didn't jump from anime to 3D American to anime again so fast.

And I STILL miss Inuyasha as my final show of the night. Though this ep of Titan was one of the best to end a night with... I guess Tashy is kinda fitting too, in a "It's kinda like Gren Dying! But not!" way, too...

Read the reactions to yesterday's Titan episode

LOL

You guys always whine about people hinting at things, then you ask questions like you want us to hint/spoil things for you <_< Just sit down and watch the show

@Seda/Man_God

My biggest problem is that the show spends too long on the high school drama stuff and pushes the robot fight to the very end of the episode giving a very short battle that often has no connection to the drama stuff we saw earlier. It makes the shows two halves feel very disconnected, I'll use this weeks episode to demonstrate. The first 15ish minutes could have been in any series about aliens who end up on Earth and have to blend in with human surroundings, heck other then the fact Octis is a robot that half of the episode could virtually be shot for shot in a random episode of degrassi and no one would know the difference.

Then out of nowhere the monster of the week shows up during a bonding scene between Lance and Illana without any foreshadowing at all. Then the episode 180 to getting back to Octis to fix their robot suits and go titan to beat the monster, which was flashy but rushed and really didn't connect at all to the plot line about Octis helping booty girl with her homework or Lance/Illana bonding. Yeah we see booty girl walk away from the fight but she doesn't even notice it, and if she did she'd have no way of knowing Octis was there. Again that fight could have been in any random monster of the week mech show.

Honestly the show has a bit of an identity crisis, it's not sure if it wants to be a monster of the week show or a high school drama with aliens/robots pretending to be human. It very rarely tries to connect the two halves with any theme like similar shows do ala power ranger or voltron. The very few episodes that do (like Lance and Illana fighting over doing it there way) are probably my favorite but even then they just aren't that strong.

@SAB CA

I will give IGPX credit, while Takeshi is a whiny bitch for 90% of IGPX run his actions always end up having a residual effect on the races, it's a show that also ties it's two halves together pretty well even if neither half is particularly strong. Satomi beats Sledge mamma, they show up to defend satomi from some punk fans, takeshi and french girl break up, they go after each other on the track, satomi loses to white snow, they begin to in fight and takeshi becomes distant etc

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Bass pretty much sums up my main issue with SBT. When it does drama OUTSIDE of the school, it was done well & I was interested. But the whole "WILL WE FIT IN HIGH SCHOOL" subplot just feels irrelevant when there's other important stuff happening. Not to mention the humor is REALLY hit-or-miss at times. It feels like he wants to mix a comedy with an action show, which I'm sure worked in Samurai Jack, but in SBT, it just didn't mix as well.

Bare in mind, I don't HATE the show, but after watching it, I felt no motivation to rewatch it.

I think the whole anxiety over fitting in makes sense. Lance is 18 and IIana is 17; I think we all remember those awkward high school days. The characters are exposing their insecurities to the viewer and showing that even though they are Galalunian's, they do have human characteristics we can all relate to. It helps make the cast feel more believable although it can be a little weird how obsessed IIlana can become over petty drama when the fate of her kingdom is at stake.

I haven't watched SBT since the last run a year ago but I don't remember finding very many faults with the show, it's excellent.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I think as one or two episodes, it would have been fine, but it felt like every other episode we had to deal with something relating to high school until later in the series. I get he was going for the "HEY, remember how awkward high school was for you at one point?", therefore making it so it's easier to relate with them, & again, had that been just the focus of one episode, it would have worked better. It was fine at first, but after awhile, I just got tired with it & wanted them to get back to the stuff outside of school (which to be fair they did most of the time).

If the high school stuff was contained to one episode people would complain about variety, character development and world building. If the high school stuff is left in people complain that there's not enough robot fights.

Damned if you do and damned if you don't.

Jintor

Now hold on just a damn minute.

This thread is my nearest source of Americans localised in one place, so I'm asking a question now:

Do you guys have to pay to apply to college?!?!?!?!?!

Now hold on just a damn minute.

This thread is my nearest source of Americans localised in one place, so I'm asking a question now:

Do you guys have to pay to apply to college?!?!?!?!?!

yes, though there are certain circumstances one can get these fees waived, but yes you do and it means you're limited in yet another aspect on what schools to apply for and getting into college.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Gooooood morning everyone. Despite seeing ASM 2 last night, I feel better after Toonami.

Attack on Titan
Prologue continues, with the motherfucking Armored Titan! And now we go into boot camp. The anime is doing things in a different order, the boot camp stuff was told through flashbacks in the manga.

Bleach
"Hi, I'm a mysterious guy with slick-backed black hair, Aizen-esque eyes, the voice of Roy Mustang/Portgas D. Ace and I vaguely know everything about you Ichigo. I am most definitely not the villain"
The "Want some ramen?" scene became a minor joke after the original chapter came out.

Shippuden
WHY IS NOTHING HAPPENING?! When are they going to get to the Fireworks Factory?!

One Piece
Now we know where Luffy is. And we get to see Sanji kick ass on the Sea Train. Good times!

Blue Exorcist
Tits. Tits everywhere.
I get the feeling that the author was only getting fanmail from Fujoshi fans so he stepped up the breast counter.

Black Lagoon
This Roberta character intrigues me, and I would like to subscribe to your newsletter. Huh, I have no idea why I keep using Simpsons quotes...

Beware the Batman
I still find the use of Professor Pyg really weird. Instead of a psychotic surgeon, he's an environmentalist.
Man, the animation is worse than I remember...

Attack on Titan
The armored Titan continues his assault and nobody can stop him. This show does a good job conveying how hopeless the situation is for humanity but the drama is layed on a litte too thick at times in this show; turning serious scenes into comical ones. Eren's constant yelling and idle threats made towards giant killing machines the best of humanity can't stop ring hollow but that weird flashback we got with his father and the syringe makes me think he'll get some BS special ability. I guess we'll find out soon enough.

Bleach
Another good slice of life Bleach episode. They've found a really good balance in this arc so far between high school shenanigans and an underlying main plot. Sure, you can tell a mile away that Ginjo is going to be the villain but does that really impact your enjoyment of what we've seen thus far? The comedy is working well and it feels like the voice actors are much more energized, I'm having fun.

Space Dandy
This episode is downright awful, I'm just going to repost what I said in the official Space Dandy thread when ranking season 1:

This is actually one of the worst episodes of any anime I have seen in recent memory. The writing is god awful and the premise is mind numbingly dumb. Two aliens fighting over underwear/vests drag Dandy and Meow into a fight that ends up with everyone being killed, sounds HILARIOUS right!? Wrong, this was the definition of cringeworthy. Unlikable characters, juvenile writing and poor pacing really made this a unenjoyable experience for me. The surfing sequence at the end is the only thing that made this mess remotely redeemable in my book.

Shippuden
I couldn't explain anything that happened last night, or over the past however many weeks Shippuden has been airing. The terrible pacing killed my interest very early on and while I try to go in with an open mind each week; I just can't stop being apathetic towards this show. It looks like we're in mirror match land right now, hooray?

One Piece
Welp, this was a boring episode. Flashbacks, boring (although important) dialogue, screaming, and tired gags (OH NO, LUFFY IS STUCK! AGAIN! AND ZORO IS BAD AT DIRECTIONS!) made watching this a chore at times. Sanji is my favorite of the crew so it's nice that the focus is shifting towards him but after seeing what CP9 did to Luffy/Zoro, it's painfully obvious that this is going to end with an ass-kicking and vows to get stronger so they can rescue Robin. I like Enies Lobby but it can drag at times and be predictable.

Blue Exorcist
I actually really like this show, the comedy hits the mark (especially when it comes to reaction faces) and Rin proved for once that male shonen protagonists can be competent around the opposite sex. The PLOT rating for this episode was off the chain, fanservice was EVERYWHERE. This show is always an enjoyable watch but I'm wondering when the main plot is going to take hold; it's been 3 months and we still haven't gotten much more development on the whole "Rin is the son of Satan" front.

I fell asleep right before Black Lagoon started, woke up during Naruto, and decided to go to bed.

Ultratech

Fell asleep after Blue Exorcist, I just can't do the whole challenge anymore

Yeah, I ended up missing just about everything last night.

Went out to a party, didn't come back until late (caught the 1st part of Blue Exorcist), then fell asleep on the couch for a few hours and woke up to FMA.

And now I feel like shit this morning.

Did watch Black Lagoon this morning at least...so good.

So I saw demarco rage this morning about people complaining that the full titan op replaced the full dandy op and people are upset because dandy > titan op wah wah wah

Ehh I like both songs a lot, but if I can only get one give me the head line premier as the full op and give the rerun a cut/american op.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
So I saw demarco rage this morning about people complaining that the full titan op replaced the full dandy op and people are upset because dandy > titan op wah wah wah

Ehh I like both songs a lot, but if I can only get one give me the head line premier as the full op and give the rerun a cut/american op.

It's endless...
Whiny little shits that will never be pleased.

Alright, time to catch up on Beware the Batman. Here's some impressions.

Beware the Batman
Wow, the first thing that really stands out is the character design. Why the hell is batman so...long? It's like Bruce Wayne and Mr. Fantastic combined to make one goofy looking vigilante. Alfred looks dumb as well, dear lord.

I have no idea why porky the pig and slippy were chosen as the introductory villains but hey, it's something fresh, right? Still, it might have been better to go with a more well known character to set the tone and then bring in obscure villains as the season progresses.

The whole Alfred attacking Bruce scene was dumb and just a clumsy way to introduce the beloved butler.

Alright, so this is turning into The Most Dangerous Game, eh? Could be interesting, I'll roll with it. I'll bet Stagg is being hunted for performing experiments on animals; Porky and Slippy I'm guessing are his creations?

So why is there never any traffic out at night when Batman is pursuing villains in his car? Isn't gotham a major city? I don't get that, seems like an overlooked minor detail. And how the hell did Alfred get snuck up on by a giant pig and talking frog? I thought he was supposed to be a badass in this reboot, this seems like an easy cop out to try and raise the stakes.

Ah, so the villains plan on killing people over some wetlands in the city being treated poorly? Yeah, that seems like a logical thing to do. But then again, we are dealing with giant talking animals so logic was thrown out the window long ago.

"Oh, didn't I tell you? I'm the butler" ahaha, what a cheesy one liner. Good one Alfred/Agent 47.

Ending fight was meh, as a whole this episode wasn't very good.

Alright I'm looking for something to marathon through on netflix and possibly review. Any suggestions? Right now I'm leaning towards Fairy Tail, Beware the Batman or GXP.

Levyne

Banned
I said this last time but I just hope Beware the Batman can be the next Toonami hate watch. Of course, if it somehow slowly gets better Clone Wars style (though I am never awake anymore by the time that comes up), then of course that will be cool to see.

Seda

I agree with Gucci on AoT. Its attempts at creating a sense of hopelessness aren't completely ineffective, but is Eren growling to himself "I'm gonna make them PAY" supposed to be an inspiring ray of hope? Because all it is right now is silly.

Bleach isn't awful right now during these set-up episodes. It almost feels like a reboot with the characters, centering around a small group of protagonists and a couple newcomers to present whatever conflict will happen, and most importantly - the Soul Society is nowhere to be found. I have a feeling this will turn stupid quickly though.

Shippuden is still the slog it always is. We are now basically at the not-so-awful part of the arc but it still drags something fierce.

One Piece needed more Sanji. This episode was probably one of the slowest ones in a while, spent a lot of time with the goofball train station people, retreading the 'searching for Luffy/Zoro' bit, and reminding us that the storm was coming.

I said earlier that the latest handful of Blue Exorcist episodes aren't doing anything for me. I think it's a combination that I don't like any of the characters and that the plot isn't going anywhere, fast. I'm fine with more stand-alone/vignette style but not when most of the characters are irritating. An interesting conflict might have substituted for interesting characters but neither are to be found. The fanservice turned was a turnoff as well.

A solid set up episode. Black Lagoon was talky for a while with an annoying kid but the premise is interesting and weird enough to pull it off. I guess there's not much to say here. That poor guy's bar is gonna get destroyed again.

Batman wasn't....awful. I think using 'bland' (Shard's word) is most apt. And seeing Batman get bested for a moment that he had to hide behind a dumpster before the villains meandered away is not how the opening episode should be. Alfred's introduction was silly.

Clone Wars was too contrived. Lets retreat behind the moon, somehow we can move so much faster than our pursuers that we can place a freaking moon in between us and them. We have a stealth ship so we can get close, but they can fire homing missiles at it anyway. And as is too-often done with homing missiles, they are led back to the place that fired them. Yawn.

I hope I'm not the only one who found the censored bread jokes and unclephilface spamming to be totally obnoxious.

Happy Mother's Day all! Seriously.

Anybody doing anything nice for their mothers today?

My father went out of town this weekend so we took my mom out to a steak house for dinner friday night. I can never figure out what to buy her so I got an Ohio State shirt, gum, and a card on top of dinner; I think she enjoyed the day! Might see if she wants to grab an early dinner later on today though.

I said this last time but I just hope Beware the Batman can be the next Toonami hate watch. Of course, if it somehow slowly gets better Clone Wars style (though I am never awake anymore by the time that comes up), then of course that will be cool to see.

Yeah, I have a feeling this is going to be Clone Wars 2.0 in here. Hopefully it gets better though.

Have you seen Mystery Inc? Then that. Just finished it. Amazing show.

Scooby Doo? I used to watch it on TV, good show. Netflix needs Totally Spies.

Have you seen Mystery Inc? Then that. Just finished it. Amazing show.

Yeah mystery inc is amazing if you at all like Scooby doo you need to watch it.

Also of those shows I'd go gxp > fairy tail > beware

No reason to marathon something currently airing in beware, and I'd wait on Fairy Tail as well good chance it'll show up on Toonami eventually. GXP may be the worst but there is a 0% chance it'll air again

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Also: are there no oceans in Attack on Titan? They could all just go out in a giant boat (or bunch of boats) and eat fish.

Actually, that would make for a much better premise IMO. Having to avoid the titans when they hit land for supplies.

Also: are there no oceans in Attack on Titan? They could all just go out in a giant boat (or bunch of boats) and eat fish.

Actually, that would make for a much better premise IMO. Having to avoid the titans when they hit land for supplies.
Aren't the Titans spawned from the lightning? Couldn't they just be spawned right on top of the boats during a storm or whatever? Idk.

I don't think it'll be explained in the airing on toonami due to them cutting the cards before and after commercials. They contain a lot of back story stuff. I will spoiler tag just in case

humanity actually did flee across the ocean and found the walls already built that they hid in. Kind of hard to build any kind of floating society when you have titans nipping at your heels and there is already a magically built safe haven to hide in

Yeah mystery inc is amazing if you at all like Scooby doo you need to watch it.

Also of those shows I'd go gxp > fairy tail > beware

No reason to marathon something currently airing in beware, and I'd wait on Fairy Tail as well good chance it'll show up on Toonami eventually. GXP may be the worst but there is a 0% chance it'll air again

I meant Brave and the Bold. Looks like I'll run through GXP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom