• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |May14| Toonami just got a lot Cooler

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I don't think it'll be explained in the airing on toonami due to them cutting the cards before and after commercials. They contain a lot of back story stuff. I will spoiler tag just in case

humanity actually did flee across the ocean and found the walls already built that they hid in. Kind of hard to build any kind of floating society when you have titans nipping at your heels and there is already a magically built safe haven to hide in

5QwOkQe.png

That place was already built? Hmm.

5QwOkQe.png

That place was already built? Hmm.

Welcome to attack on titan where
the answers to your questions lead to more questions

I just realized that a lot of the main characters on the block have an absent mother figure.

Attack on titan: Eren's mom gets eaten in front of him, armin's parents are killed by titans and his grandfather dies on what is basically a suicide mission, and we still have more of the cast to reveal

Bleach: Ichigo's mom was killed by a hollow, orihime's parents are dead? And her brother died/became a hollow. Forgot about chad's and (manga spoilers)
uriyu's was killed due to being a half blood quincy

Naruto: Naruto's parents were killed by the 9 tails, sasuke's were killed by itachi, gaara killed his when he was born

Space Dandy: Dandy's family is unknown, meow's is alive, qt is a robot

One Piece: Luffy actually breaks this trope due to his mom being unknown spoilers
and his dad being alive and the worlds greatest criminal who
and his child hood care taker being alive, the rest of his crew is dead family bananza

Blue Exorcist: Mom died in child birth, adoptive father killed by biological father, end game is beating the shit out of biological father

Black Lagoon: I don't think we know about any of the character's childhoods besides Revi and I don't think they specified if her parents were killed or if she was abanonded (guessing the later)

Beware the batman: batman's parents are always dead

Fmab: mom is dead, dad "left" them

Samurai Jack: I recall Jack's dad dying but I think his mother was still alive? Either way in the future both are dead :p

Clone Wars: Anakin's mom died in the events leading up to the clone wars

Sbt: don't think they ever specificed if the mom was dead for Illana or Lance, former's dad is captured laters is "missing/dead"

I meant Brave and the Bold. Looks like I'll run through GXP.

Oh watch brave and bold then gxp is TERRIBAD

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Welcome to attack on titan where
the answers to your questions lead to more questions

One Piece: Luffy actually breaks this trope due to his mom being unknown spoilers
and his dad being alive and the worlds greatest criminal who
and his child hood care taker being alive, the rest of his crew is dead family bananza

You forgot Usopp's dad, who is still alive and working with Shanks.

But yeah, having read the AoT manga up to the current point, there's still a ton of unanswered questions.

You forgot Usopp's dad, who is still alive and working with Shanks.

But yeah, having read the AoT manga up to the current point, there's still a ton of unanswered questions.

I didn't want to get into every single character because then we'd have things like Zoro's parents being unknown, chopper's biological parents being unknown, etc etc and that 2x for people who have died hence the blanket statement

ckohler

Attack on Titan - Love that opening. The show does a good job realizing the utter hopelessness of their situation. All of the old guards being complete inept dicks is cliche though and clearly only there to give Eren a reason to aspire to be greater. That armored titan was badass but when the time skip occurred I wondered how they survived.

Bleach - Still enjoying this new Bleach. The tone of the series feels fresh and interesting. Ichigo's boss was kinda funny but too much of a one note character. Orihime was adorable and I felt bad when she was shut down by an oblivious and uninterested Ichigo. Even if Ichigo wasn't interested in her, he could have at least smiled and made her feel appreciated instead of being completely oblivious to the situation.

Space Dandy - Dumb episode is dumb. Mildly funny but mostly just dumb.

Naruto: Shippuden - Does this show ever get good enough to merit its reputation for being popular? It's so slow. DBZ levels of slow. And stupid. Now they are fighting clones? Let's spend 5 minutes if exposition explaining in detail the exact situation in excruciating detail. That should waist more time. The animation is also bad. People like this show?

One Piece - Not much happened. I liked the giant marine guy.

Blue Exorcist - Meh. Not a great episode but still watchable. Lots of fan service. When hoodie dude spoke with a female voice I realized what was going to happen. Moeblob has no character arc. So far, she's just in perpetual innocent waifu mode. In fact, almost all the characters have no clear arc except my favorite character, tsundere girl, who seems to at least be on the road to leaning how to have real friends. This new enemy is goofy and like someone said, it's hard to take them seriously as a threat.

Black Lagoon - Mostly a prelude to what is sure to be an epic fight. Like I said last night, I hope this Roberta knocks Revy down a peg. She's being too cocky. Picking on little kids? Dutch is right, Revy is being a bully. Also, that chick isn't really going to be a robot from the future, right?!

Beware the Batman - Well, it wasn't terrible. It was just kind meh. Those villains were stupid and not threatening at all. I like the premise of this being early in the career of Batman but Alfred's voice doesn't fit. He's too young looking and sounding. I'll give the show a some more attempts to draw me in.

Naruto - I'm not a fan of this franchise but that episode was fantastic. Great in every respect: animation, music, dialog, pacing, characters... Everything. If all of Naruto was like this episode it would have been a wonderful series.

Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood - Great episode; as good as I remembered it. I love the strong, confident, and believable female characters in this series. It's hard to think of another anime that does women as much service as this one does.

I tuned out after that.

I hope I'm not the only one who found the censored bread jokes and unclephilface spamming to be totally obnoxious.

The bread gifs were a bit over the top (but still hilarious). The rest is just good fun. Nothing wrong with people fawning over characters. Maybe. Just tone it down a smidge. In fact, if we had any fans who wanted to fawn over male characters I'd welcome that. If anything, it's just too one sided right now. What bothered me tonight was that there was too much real-time hinting.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I didn't want to get into every single character because then we'd have things like Zoro's parents being unknown, chopper's biological parents being unknown, etc etc and that 2x for people who have died hence the blanket statement

Chopper's parents are raccoon dogs. They aren't important.

Levyne

Banned
Naruto - I'm not a fan of this franchise but that episode was fantastic. Great in every respect: animation, music, dialog, pacing, characters... Everything. If all of Naruto was like this episode it would have been a wonderful series.

Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood - Great episode; as good as I remembered it. I love the strong, confident, and believable female characters in this series. It's hard to think of another anime that does women as much service as this one does.

I didn't watch FMA, but agree and agree.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Blue Exorcist is giving me a really indifferent feeling. I don't like or dislike the characters. They're just there

Same, there's been nothing compelling about the show so far. The fact we're so far in makes that very troubling for me. There's nothing keeping me watching except you guys and the promise of Black Lagoon afterwards.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Like I mentioned last night around Naruto time, I was being social last night and played MH from the second Boondocks episode until One Piece (and made popcorn for my friend so ended up being time delayed until the end of Black Lagoon, which makes posting pointless) so lay it on me, how rough was AoT and Bleach? I obviously know what happens in Space Dandy and Shippuden, though I'll watch them both anyways.

I don't think it'll be explained in the airing on toonami due to them cutting the cards before and after commercials. They contain a lot of back story stuff. I will spoiler tag just in case

humanity actually did flee across the ocean and found the walls already built that they hid in. Kind of hard to build any kind of floating society when you have titans nipping at your heels and there is already a magically built safe haven to hide in

I'm mad they don't show the bumpers.

Seda

The bread gifs were a bit over the top (but still hilarious). The rest is just good fun. Nothing wrong with people fawning over characters. Maybe. Just tone it down a smidge. In fact, if we had any fans who wanted to fawn over male characters I'd welcome that. If anything, it's just too one sided right now. What bothered me tonight was that there was too much real-time hinting.

I probably just need to lighten up, more fun to just go with the flow anyway.

Seda was grumbling about BE not having enough plot the other day. Suddenly, plot!

This feels like those genies that misconstrue your wishes if your aren't especially specific.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Space Dandy is one of the few anime's that gets backstory right.

Black Lagoon however is another! We truly are blessed.

The Sasori fight in Shippuden isn't terrible. It has one pretty good sequence near the end, and Sasori's backstory isn't bad. Everything else, awful. Then the arc afterwards is shitty filler (Shippuden has a full arc of filler after every plot arc, get used to it), and then next we finally get to the arc leading up to the very first scene of Shippuden, and it manages to be utterly awful thanks to atrocious pacing and using the same flashback as if the audience has ADHD and short term memory loss.

So no. Shippuden doesn't ever "get good." Some arcs are just much less shitty than others, though the first few are especially bad.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I respectfully disagree and think that the end of this arc and the beginning of next one, including all the anime only material is a good three months of Shippuden. It does fall off again rather quickly though.

MikeMyers

The Sasori fight in Shippuden isn't terrible. It has one pretty good sequence near the end, and Sasori's backstory isn't bad. Everything else, awful. Then the arc afterwards is shitty filler (Shippuden has a full arc of filler after every plot arc, get used to it), and then next we finally get to the arc leading up to the very first scene of Shippuden, and it manages to be utterly awful thanks to atrocious pacing and using the same flashback as if the audience has ADHD and short term memory loss.

So no. Shippuden doesn't ever "get good." Some arcs are just much less shitty than others, though the first few are especially bad.

Hey now,
Sasuke's fight with Itachi
is pretty cool.

Too far away though.

Seda

The Sasori fight in Shippuden isn't terrible. It has one pretty good sequence near the end, and Sasori's backstory isn't bad. Everything else, awful. Then the arc afterwards is shitty filler (Shippuden has a full arc of filler after every plot arc, get used to it), and then afterwards we finally get to the arc leading up to the very first scene of Shippuden, and it manages to be utterly awful thanks to atrocious pacing and using the same flashback as if the audience has ADHD and short term memory loss.

I didn't think there was any filler between the first and second Shippuden arcs? Google says the first filler arc is 57-70.

That said, I do agree that the Sasori fight "isn't terrible" and that the second canon arc is "utterly awful".

And then after that filler arc is the Immortals Arc, which is the best Shipppuden has to offer in my opinion.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

The first two Shippuden arcs have no filler. The first filler arc is after the next arc, before the third canon arc. Then they start the filler/canon switch off.

ckohler

So what's the draw? Why does it have such a passionate following? It has to be more than the stereotypical "weeabo otakus have bad taste." Are fans of Naruto just content to see their favorite characters doing anything, even if it's painfully boring? Is it some kind of brand loyalty?

Man God

Non-Canon Member
The first two Shippuden arcs have no filler. The first filler arc is after the next arc, before the third canon arc. Then they start the filler/canon switch off.

It only feels like filler because of how long it's stretched out.

EDIT: The second canon arc of Shippuden has stopped me cold THREE TIMES. I've made it halfway through twice and completed it once, only to give up immediately after.

I didn't think there was any filler between the first and second Shippuden arcs? Google says the first filler arc is 57-70.

That said, I do agree that the Sasori fight "isn't terrible" and that the second canon arc is "utterly awful".

And then after that filler arc is the Immortals Arc, which is the best Shipppuden has to offer in my opinion.

It's further along, I thought it was after this arc.

Hidan and Kakuzu are the best of all of Shippuden. No constant sad backstories, no stalling bullshit, plenty of Shikamaru and Kakashi, and enemies who are "immortal" without it being some OP bullshit, a trait Kishimoto clearly forgot how to implement later on.

So what's the draw? Why does it have such a passionate following? It has to be more than the stereotypical "weeabo otakus have bad taste." Are fans of Naruto just content to see their favorite characters doing anything, even if it's painfully boring?

I have no idea. The side characters all get shafted, Sasuke gets his ass kicked or has to rely someone else's power in every fight, Naruto continues to only use two techniques (Shadow Clone and Rasengan). The only good things I can think of are some of the Akatsuki members have interesting abilities, the soundtrack is good, and there's plenty of Kakashi and Jiraiya.

Seda

So what's the draw? Why does it have such a passionate following? It has to be more than the stereotypical "weeabo otakus have bad taste." Are fans of Naruto just content to see their favorite characters doing anything, even if it's painfully boring?

Well, to be fair, I don't think even Naruto fans care much for the first slog of Shippuden. At least I don't think so. I've never seen anyone praise the Kazakage Rescue (the one we're watching) or the second arc (which I guess is called Sasuke and Sai arc?). Usually they bring up the
Itachi, Immortals (Hidan/Kakuzu), or Pain arcs
. I wasn't feeling the latter much at all though so what do I know.

I could be wrong though.

Seda

EDIT: The second canon arc of Shippuden has stopped me cold THREE TIMES. I've made it halfway through twice and completed it once, only to give up immediately after.

I am not looking forward to watching it again.

Hidan and Kakuzu are the best of all of Shippuden. No constant sad backstories, no stalling bullshit, plenty of Shikamaru and Kakashi, and enemies who are "immortal" without it being some OP bullshit, a trait Kishimoto clearly forgot how to implement later on.

It still relies on flashbacks a bit too much, but the pacing is much better (it's a much shorter arc) and it's structured well. (vague spoilers)
One of the Akatsuki defeats is very satisfying. No never-give-up powers, no check-out-my-new-jutsu, no talk-no-jutsu, no gaining the upper hand because someone is angry -- just using observations and past encounters to out-maneuver the enemy to obtain the victory.

daveo42

Banned
Naruto fans probably just read the Manga and watch the show to see their favorite parts animated
edit: Because that's what I do.

I'm quite interested in seeing the the upcoming arcs only because some of the fights would probably be pretty awesome animated. I'm not going to go out of my way to watch them in my free time though. I have long given up on catching up with Naruto for many reasons that outweigh the "cool" factor of some of the fights.

Besides, there's always rewatching One Piece. Like I just sat through the 2nd half of the Arlong arc. So good how the arc comes together and while you get some of the "friendship" talk, it's well mixed in with both action and weight behind the meaning of friendship. Speaking of, you should totally watch this amv that'll get you pumped for more One Piece (no spoilers for the Toonami crowd as the latest scene is from early in Water 7).

Seda

Let me just mention that I'm glad that Toonami picked up One Piece. I didn't look forward to marathonning 200 episodes, and there are a few things about the show that I don't gel with all too much (Usopp in general, Luffy's moronic tendencies, some other things revolving around Pluton) but it's incredibly cohesive for a long running shounen. It's great how plot elements are sprinkled in early before they become the forefront on the narrative, and how multiple plot threads are handled in general. Oda clearly makes an effort to make sure new plot details 'fit' with past details. There are still events from before they traveled to the grand line (or around Alabasta) that I look forward to seeing the next step in how they progress, like Captain Smoker's pursuit of the Straw Hats or Zoro's confrontation with Mihawk. No new arc feels tacked on or unnecessary. Whereas competing stories tend to oddly twist and turn at times, snaking around odd plot twists, One Piece has a flow to it that's quite a bit more natural. I said this before but I think focusing on a 'crew' that's largely consistent helps a lot too.

Is it wrong that I would prefer Space Dandy's OP than AoT's?

I'll admit I like Vida Namida better then Titan's song, but I personally feel that the BIG premier that leads off the block should have its full premier always regardless of what the show is, it just starts Toonami off on the right foot, just like Tom pressing the button and saying a really bad joke or general excitement comment.

Seda

I'll admit I like Vida Namida better then Titan's song, but I personally feel that the BIG premier that leads off the block should have its full premier always regardless of what the show is, it just starts Toonami off on the right foot, just like Tom pressing the button and saying a really bad joke or general excitement comment.

I think it's simplest just to keep his "first show gets the full open", yeah. No room for subjective 'the best openings should be the full ones'.

ckohler

Naruto fans probably just read the Manga and watch the show to see their favorite parts animated
edit: Because that's what I do.

That's the best explanation I've heard assuming the manga is pretty good.

I think it's simplest just to keep his "first show gets the full open", yeah. No room for subjective 'the best openings should be the full ones'.

Agreed. Toonami should be leading their block with their "star" show and that show should get the full OP treatment. I'm not sure why Black Lagoon gets full OP, ED and preview, though. Are the episodes so short, it's easy? It's so arbitrary.

Levyne

Banned
GitS always get its full opening too, which I'll appreciate when it comes back because the second one is pretty good. I don't know the status of its ending though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom