• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |May14| Toonami just got a lot Cooler

Status
Not open for further replies.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Shows ending soon that they'd replace with GITS 2nd GIG:

Symbionic Titan.

Of course they could always pull FMA:B off the air and Star Wars Clone Wars could expire at any time.

Seda

End dates

Symbionic Titan: July 19th, 2014
Blue Exorcist: August 9th, 2014
Black Lagoon: August 30th, 2014
Space Dandy: October 4th, 2014 (assuming S2 premiers when S1 finishes its rerun and S2 is 13 episodes)
Bleach: October 18th 2014
Attack on Titan: October 18th, 2014
Beware The Batman: Novermber 1st, 2014
Naruto (1st 52 episodes): December 28th, 2014
Samurai Jack: January 24th, 2015
Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood: May 16th, 2015
Clone Wars: September 12th, 2015
Naruto Shippuden: AHAHAHA....
One Piece: ....HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

(same as posted in the last thread with Bleach and Space Dandy moved back a week thanks to Cooler's Revenge)

Man God

Non-Canon Member
August is going to be interesting as fuck, there's no way BE reruns and BL is unlikely (though I'd be fine watching it over and over again until the end of time)

789shadow

Banned
August is going to be interesting as fuck, there's no way BE reruns and BL is unlikely (though I'd be fine watching it over and over again until the end of time)
Nah, October is the crazy zone. Attack on Titan, Bleach, and Space Dandy all ending within the month, although I'm going to guess Space Dandy S2 will rerun once.

Tenumi

Banned
With Black Lagoon, we're counting Second Barrage as well, I'm assuming?

I'm watching my recordings right now. When I'm finished I'll be posting my impressions.

Guy in front of me at the grinder/deli shop I like to go asked for extra salt, then complained his sandwich had TOO MUCH SALT and I started laughing and got strange looks

Attack on Titan - The reverse of last week, a good first half and an ok second half. I think the drama and stuff generally works, even if the show goes over the top with it more than a few times. I see Eren crossing the line in the future between "understandable reaction" and "being a bitch", unfortunately. I cut him some slack now because he just watched his mom get eaten and his home went to hell and a bunch of people died, but his character at this point amounts to Screaming Angry Kid. And a few people have told me he never really evolves beyond that.

Bleach - Comedy in Bleach is weird. Sometimes I find it really funny; I've enjoyed some of the one-off filler episodes quite a bit. But right now I just don't think it's funny at all. I also feel like the art quality took a dive.

Space Dandy - I like this better than last week's by-the-numbers "feels" episode. There, I said it. Conceptually it's kind of boring, but I think the goofy translations are fun and the fight scenes are good for a laugh. Oh, and the ending. God damn.

Shippuden - More happened than last week, but that's not saying a whole lot. The animation is laughably bad at times. Mirror matches are some of the most boring, overused tropes in action shows and Naruto Shippuden of all things is not going to be the one to break this trend. There's something deeply satisfying about the fact that when the show tries to get pretentious it immediately devolves into shouting "I'M RIGHT YOU'RE WRONG."

One Piece - This is a pretty slow episode by any standard, but as opposed to Shippuden I enjoyed most of what was going on. The stuff with Aqua Laguna is awesome to watch, Sanji on the Sea Train is hilarious, and even the dumb "Luffy is stuck!" plot point gave us a cool scene. I'm even ok with the stupid train station guys.

Blue Exorcist - Shiemi and the ghost was cringe-worthy, but the plot sort of seems to be moving! Kind of. I won't hold by breath, but that's what it looked like to me. I liked the action scene more or less, though it did look like Rin was just laying there and letting this guy beat the shit out of him at times. Oh, and discovering his beam-shooting ability was awful.

Black Lagoon - Kind of a slow burn, but the payoff is nice and Revy gets some great moments.

Beware the Batman - It looks like a PS1 cutscene at times, but some of the action is legitimately impressive. Enough to make up for a plot that's just kind of there and some mediocre villains that are, at the very least, visually interesting. Am I the only one who likes this interpretation of Alfred? The forced lesson at the end was kind of terrible.

Naruto - Maybe a little corny and overly sentimental toward the end, but this has some very effective emotional scenes and awesome action. I wonder how long it'll take for Shippuden to have an episode as good as this and kind of doubt it ever will. I wasn't convinced that Sasuke was dead even when I was a kid, so the fake-out for his revival doesn't bother me and it's consistent with Haku's character to leave him alive.

FMA Brotherhood - The island stuff is pretty boring, and overall this episode feels rushed. Izumi is awesome, but she's not enough to carry it.

Samurai Jack - The worm one is pretty long for little payoff (with the addition of somewhat annoying voices), but the other two are awesome. I love the metal eaters one, which has some creative action and a pretty creepy ending. The gargoyle one is suspenseful with some great sound design.

Clone Wars - I agree that this one seems a little contrived, and it honestly isn't enough to carry an entire episode. I was bored for most of it, and even when stuff was happening it got hard to care.

Sym-Bionic Titan - This show often has a bit of an issue with being too heavy with its satire, and this episode suffers from that the most out of the entire series. Consequently, the attempted drama doesn't really work; it's hard to derive legitimate drama from something so cartoonishly over-the-top. Good thing that it's funny and contains some of the best scenes of the entire show, then.

Naruto
Samurai Jack
Sym-Bionic Titan
Black Lagoon
One Piece
Attack on Titan
Blue Exorcist
Space Dandy
Beware the Batman
FMA Brotherhood
Clone Wars
Bleach
Shippuden

"The designs are pretty so they appeal to girls, but the characters are very sexy so boys like them." - on the third-grade protagonists of Magical Doremi, as reported on c21media.net.

Magical Doremi?

Precure or My Little Pony I understand, but

ELGPxZZ.jpg

...that doesn't do anything for me.

wasn't a little boy but I can't think of anytime of my childhood where I was sexually (romantically sure) attracted to someone my own age, the quote is weird and awkward.

Tenumi

Banned
Well that went somewhere bad quickly....

------------------------------------------------

Anyway, episode impressions!

Attack on Titan: Potatos, Titans, and people yelling at each other. Though to be honest, the storyteller guy at the beginning kinda deserved it.

Bleach: Everybody has jobs now. You know, besides being heros. Ururu so cute now.

One Piece:
Sanji is now the master of stealth for his enterance onto the sea-train.

Blue Exorcist: Meh... no offense, but I feel no connection to this show.

Black Lagoon: ♫ Everybody 'ought to have a maid... ♫ ... Oh god, I just realized that the boy is MLPFIM's Spike (Cathy Weseluck). Using the same voice, too.

LOLDSFAN

So yeah been busy all day doing Mother's Day stuff and now it's already 6pm lol. Hope you guys had a good one and got spend some time with your motherly figures if you have them. :)

This one's for MikeMyers!!!

iISAkshIIarCS.jpg

Read the reactions to yesterday's Titan episode

LOL

You guys always whine about people hinting at things, then you ask questions like you want us to hint/spoil things for you <_< Just sit down and watch the show

Well I honestly thought they were just going to leave it as the Titans left. I didn't know it would be explained later on.

But seriously I still hope hinting stuff can be kept at a low. Like every talking about
potato girl
or whatever. I only know about it because I saw a parody on YouTube so it didn't bother me, but I'm sure others don't want to know about future characters. Like Htown said.

I hope I'm not the only one who found the censored bread jokes and unclephilface spamming to be totally obnoxious.

The Uncle Phil Face is the only thing making Blue Exorcist worthwhile for me haha.
Yes I know it's immature. :<

How do you put Bulma on a list of top ten moms, she carries her baby into a battle zone! (and it's not like it was even a necessity for her to do so, she lives with her parents *and* she had no business following the Z fighters )

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Most of you have no idea how hard it was for me to not make maid jokes all last week in this thread. I typed out at least six different posts.

MikeMyers

So yeah been busy all day doing Mother's Day stuff and now it's already 6pm lol. Hope you guys had a good one and got spend some time with your motherly figures if you have them. :)

This one's for MikeMyers!!!

iISAkshIIarCS.jpg

Carrying Sakura's baby there.

How do you put Bulma on a list of top ten moms, she carries her baby into a battle zone!

And she is with a mass-murderer who had no qualms with almost killing her during his Majin Vegeta bitch-fit.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
How do you put Bulma on a list of top ten moms, she carries her baby into a battle zone! (and it's not like it was even a necessity for her to do so, she lives with her parents *and* she had no business following the Z fighters )

Hey, the kid turned out ok didn't he?

I do agree thought it was pretty annoying of people to start spamming POTATO GIRL when that scene isn't until next week. If this was a rewatch for everyone or the vast majority it'd be one thing but as its pretty 50/50 between newcomers and vets it just seemed mean on the half of the vets.

Death has less meaning in a world where it is easily reversible.

Well reversible to a point , if you murder all Namekians, who somehow are the only beings with this ability and yet aren't the most coveted people in existence except for that one time with Frieza, you could nip all that stuff in the bud.

well, when that kid's father is Vegeta and is consequently going to be punching shit for the rest of his life, it makes a little bit of sense. not a lot, but a little bit.

MikeMyers

King Cold is the best dad in DBZ, at least he actually spends time with his son

Piccolo Daimao and Perfect Cell showed anger over their kids deaths. They are OK dads.

He was like 7, besides he turned out OK when he got older.

We have no idea how this timelines goten and trunks turn out ABSOLUTELY NONE (ok I guess even if i pull the GT doesn't exist joke there is still that last episode of DBZ with Uub and toddler Pan and them sorta older).

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
We have no idea how this timelines goten and trunks turn out ABSOLUTELY NONE (ok I guess even if i pull the GT doesn't exist joke there is still that last episode of DBZ with Uub and toddler pan and them sorta older).

Well he turned out OK in the darkest timeline.

MikeMyers

Interestingly, apparently the guidebooks say Buu was never released in Trunks timeline because Babidi failed to gather enough energy.

Dodged a bullet there.

So I've watch the booty quaking scene like 10 times now, not for uncle phil reasons (that was my loop viewing of moe blobs plot
lLGKsTS.png
) but for the simple reason of trying to understand how they were

1- able to get away with airing that on Cartoon Network
2- thought in any capacity it was a good idea for a kids show

Like damn that might be the most suggestive thing I've seen in an American made kids show in my entire life. I really have no idea how that got past any kind of CN censors. Also how did Genndy and the creative team look at that and go "yep that's what we want there" and kept rolling with it. Maybe they knew there were going to be can'd and said "fuck it"

LOLDSFAN

My totally made up theory is that the censor people care more about boobs than they do about butts. Like I remember as a kid someone would get caught on fire and their pants would burn off exposing their buttocks, but the chest always had to be covered.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom