• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |May15| Wasting Saturday nights for three years running

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seda

Visit the official Toonami Tumblr page here

New webcast every Tuesday at ~5pm

k7m6AFY.png

57CZA2b.png

2cWia2G.png

yLsH6kV.png

mmXq4Cs.png

nmttbLt.png

j4YFb8q.png

nmttbLt.png

qzgdyGM.png

nmttbLt.png

H419mGC.png

|OT0||OT1||OT2||OT3||OT4||OT5||OT6||OT7||OT8||OT9||Jan14||Feb14||Mar14||Apr14|[May14||Jun14||Jul14||Aug14||Sep14||Oct14||Nov14||Dec14||Jan15||Feb15||Mar15||Apr15|

Regiruler

It genuinely surprises me how many regulars we have. I know quite a few people who didn't make the list, which is already 15 ish people already.

I like how my thread title suggestion sneaked it's way into the last thread before it was closed and got chosen. I think that's like the 4th or 5th thread title I've given the suggestion for. Course it gets a bit harder to follow when we sometimes change the thread title weekly based upon amazing quotes in the shows we watch.

Zubz

Banned
This OT new title's fantastic!

I don't get the thread title.

The Namek arc in the original DBZ was paced abysmally, so it was a joke from the ancient days of the Internet to ask if a show was "stuck on Namek" if a story was dragging and nothing was happening. Since the Namek arc first aired in the US on Toonami 18 years ago, and since Toonami's airing the Kai version of the same arc, the title is implying that the wait for the arc to finish did last 18 years.

Seda

I like how my thread title suggestion sneaked it's way into the last thread before it was closed and got chosen. I think that's like the 4th or 5th thread title I've given the suggestion for. Course it gets a bit harder to follow when we sometimes change the thread title weekly based upon amazing quotes in the shows we watch.

I was waiting for a a good suggestion. Thread was closed because you provided one :eek:

The Namek arc in the original DBZ was paced abysmally, so it was a joke from the ancient days of the Internet to ask if a show was "stuck on Namek" if a story was dragging and nothing was happening. Since the Namek arc first aired in the US on Toonami 18 years ago, and since Toonami's airing the Kai version of the same arc, the title is implying that the wait for the arc to finish did last 18 years.

Can't wait for Toonami to air DBS when they go to New Namek or some shit

Seda

It genuinely surprises me how many regulars we have. I know quite a few people who didn't make the list, which is already 15 ish people already.

Definitely a bit more even in number of regulars compared to some community threads.

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. That's real good, Bass. Kudos.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Actually the joke is because the original US run ended right as Goku was touching down on Namek, so they'd repeat that. When DBZ got insanely popular on TOONAMI funimation finally got the license and did the rest of the series with only two short breaks!

Grexeno

Physical Chem is going to drive me crazy. I either did really well on this exam I just got out of or not well enough to not have to take the final.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Eh, there's still a market for dubbed action animation that's still not really covered fully. Funimation is making a good stab at it now but they just got rolling on the dubbed stuff.

While this is technically true, it's not the full reason the joke became popular

Reruns suck, and Toonami famously had to rerun DBZ right at the end of the Recoome fight like twice back in the day meaning it took an already really long arc into an extremely long one when we kept watching it on endless repeat.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
While this is technically true, it's not the full reason the joke became popular

Reruns suck, and Toonami famously had to rerun DBZ right at the end of the Recoome fight like twice back in the day meaning it took an already really long arc into an extremely long one when we kept watching it on endless repeat.

That's because Recoome rhymes with doom and it's going to be over for you all too soon.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Back from Age of Ultros.

Man, that crossover of Avengers with Final Fantasy 6 was weird, but awesome.

Raxus

Man, if we got Future Diary on Toonami the reactions would be GLORIOUS.

It would almost be DMWL all over again.

Jintor

I noticed some of my students reading SAO today after class finished.

Sometimes you feel bad for watching stuff targeted for the critical analysis faculties of thirteen year olds and finding fault with it

but then you remember there's stuff targetted at thirteen year olds that is some dope well-made shit and you shrug and remember it's okay i guess

BBboy20

but then you remember there's stuff targetted at thirteen year olds that is some dope well-made shit and you shrug and remember it's okay i guess
What I don't get is well-rounded adults just accepting the whole "mass-murder-is-ok-now-for-some-reason" disconnect.

Jintor

As long as people like who characters appear to be now, they tend to forgive whatever faults they had in the past (and it's a lot easier when those sins are either off-screen or so drawn out as to be kind of forgotten or fade into the background)

everybody loves vegeta for instance. hell, I like vegeta a lot. it's pretty easy to forget he's a mass murderer. of course killing people means something different in dbz-ville but still.

Crocodile

A) What's the show behind Future Diary on the right?

B) Yeah Future Diary is another entry in the long list of "Fuckery: The Anime". It's an actively bad show but the reaction in here would be GLORIOUS

Rakkety Tam

Neo Member
I'm watching Future Diary through my anime club at school (subbed), and it's been a ride so far. We only have four episodes left. On the other hand
we only have four characters left, so it's more like how do we still have four episodes left.

BBboy20

of course killing people means something different in dbz-ville but still.
SOA is pretty much our world but 10 years in the future. Like, the show just dumps this serious subject matter and it seems to be taken seriously at first but then people in the show just kind of stopped being authentic about how they would proceed and somehow the audience buys into it anyways. It constantly so wants to be a drama so badly and fails at it over and over yet people think it's legitimate conflict.

daveo42

Banned
Oh hey...new thread. Almost forgot it was May.

Edit: As for the title, at least we aren't repeating the same set of episodes over and over and over and over and...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom