• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |May15| Wasting Saturday nights for three years running

Status
Not open for further replies.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
What is this Jaken gif people were talking about?

C82jQHT.gif

Kill La Kill

Good swerve there with the recap business. There is a lot to recap, but they fastforwarded it because they've got more to tell and this ain't One Piece (I love One Piece).
I heard the music edit which must DEFINITELY be visual too.
Mom, you're too much.
Patrick Stewart pronounces Homosapien the correct way.
I can buy the megalomaniac life fiber clothing angle. It's ridiculous and that's why it works.

ckohler

This week’s theme was full OPs! Not only were there new ones but five out of the seven shows all played their full length openings. It seems a new Toonami tradition that if a show has a new OP, they play it uncut on its debut once then cut it afterwards. We’ll know for sure next week. Now, on to the reviews!

Dragon Ball Z: Kai - Watching Vegeta trolling the big baddies was really entertaining but having Freeza so easily bamboozled makes his character seem less than threatening. Bulma always has such terrible taste in men. I can’t help but laugh out loud at another character (Zarbon, this time) trying to team up with Vegeta 10 seconds before his death. Overall, another fun episode. Rating: Pocket Sand!

Kill la Kill - The compilation episode cop-out was fun. Aren’t you glad it was just a joke? We saw Satsuki’s vulnerable side for the first time. We learned the origins of Nudest Beach and, more importantly, the Life Fibers. Yep, they’re living fibers from outer space. I don’t see the big deal with people saying it’s dumb, tbh. Like Imperial Bishop said, “Monkeys that can create glowing yellow hair, magic fruits that make you unable to swim, and ninjas that use magic is a-okay, but alien fibers are off limits.” Viewers will enjoy this a lot more if they just roll with it like we do with most of the other shows on the block (except SAO which wishes it was a serious drama). Lastly, Mako is just too adorable for words in this episode. With this exposition heavy episode now over, the plot can continue. Rating: Ambiguous

Sword Art Online II - Every time they use terms like “IRL”, it’s really cringe inducing. I wish this show was more of a comedy so I didn’t feel the urge to constantly question every stupid plot hole. On the plus side, I liked the animation when they took down the cowboy player and I found the end scene with Sinon paralyzed somewhat tense. I really just hope she somehow saves herself and isn’t simply rescued by Mr. Video Game Jesus. Rating: Yui loves her Mommy and Daddy!

InuYasha: The Final Act - I’ve talked at length before about how this show is too exposition heavy but, man, this episode in particular was brutal. I’d wager less than 10% of the dialog was someone NOT explaining what is happening on screen. Now that everyone has arrived we can now finally end this. Also, the animation was really lackluster for this episode. I only hope that means they reserved the better skilled animators for the coming finale. The romance stuff with Miroku and Sango feels flat and unemotional. Overall, this was pretty bleh except for the rousing final scene and seeing Jaken’s moe face. Rating: BAWK-SAIGA!

Naruto: Shippuden - What is this? A Shippuden opening?! I really liked it. The animation was decent but the song was great. As for the episode itself, not so much. I’ll admit that I kinda tuned out for most of it; especially the scenes with Sora. I did watch the battle between Naruto and the kissy-kissy woman. It turns out she’s… just hair? WTF? They didn’t even bother to explain it. Maybe it’s a Japanese folklore thing. Oh well, I certainly didn’t see that coming, especially considering Naruto used his brain for once. That chanting at the end sounded unintentionally hilarious and dumb. Overall, better than last week’s episode but that’s not saying much. Rating: Just air the opening/endings

One Piece - One of the weaker One Piece episodes I’ve seen in a while. Not much happened, really. We spend more than half the episode just catching up with where everyone is and then spend the other half revealing that the Buster Call has begun. On the plus side, there was some nice fighting with Luffy, Lucci, Robin and Franky. We also got to learn how 2nd Gear works (basically, blood doping) and the orchestral music in this episode sounded pretty epic. Too bad we didn’t get the big Luffy battle I was expecting. Rating: Franky Centaur!

Some additional thoughts on this week’s Kill la Kill - Having already seen the entire series dubbed, I was prepared for the awkward mispronunciation of Homo-“sop”ian. Considering how great this dub is, I still can’t believe they didn’t bother to check that. While I’m glad they edited the bath scene down, I do think they could have handled a bit differently without cutting out as much of Ragyo’s ominous dialog. Someone asked who made Junketsu. Like Mikisugi said, Dr. Matoi used to work for Ragyo before he left to form Nudist Beach. So, it’s very likely Dr. Matoi also made Junketsu although I don’t think the series ever actually says as much.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I think Professor Sycamore just wanted to sound smart and they ran with it.

Also Vegeta's best day ever is one of my favorite episodes of Kai.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
That bath scene isn't even the lewdest thing that happens in Kill la Kill. That's still a few weeks away. The problem is THAT scene is actually really important and less easily excised. :D

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
I just find it funny that someone in the comments of Assault's comparison video compared the editing to 4Kids.
No... 4Kids would have done way worse. The entire bath scene would be cut, not just the lewd part.
It's been so long that I think people forgot how bad they were.

Raxus

I just find it funny that someone in the comments of Assault's comparison video compared the editing to 4Kids.
No... 4Kids would have done way worse. The entire bath scene would be cut, not just the lewd part.
It's been so long that I think people forgot how bad they were.

We would have lost the Japanese names, all the Japanese writing would be axed out making for a few confusing scenes with Nui leaning on nothing, the series would probably be 3 episodes long.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
I know people will bring up the Bully la Bully video, but the edits would be more like digital swimsuits instead of giant hot dogs.
And yeah, no Japanese. Period.

Crocodile

To be honest I kind of wanted them to show that scene not because I wanted to see it again (I didn't) but just because I wanted to see this thread run over with reaction gifs and table flips. I would would probably STILL be laughing now. But yea, DeMarco 100% made the right call. 100%

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
To be honest I kind of wanted them to show that scene not because I wanted to see it again (I didn't) but just because I wanted to see this thread run over with reaction gifs and table flips. I would would probably STILL be laughing now. But yea, DeMarco 100% made the right call. 100%

I just don't get why the scene exists the way it does in the first place, there's literally no goddamn reason for it to.

LOLDSFAN

Watched the scene.

Visually it doesn't look too bad, but I guess it's the context that makes it inappropriate. That was definitely a big cut though lol. Explains why we got the OP for Shippuden.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom