• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |May15| Wasting Saturday nights for three years running

Status
Not open for further replies.
You change the joke like how they changed Franky's hentai joke, you make a joke about a US celeb that looks somewhat like that guy/redraw him to look more like a US celeb, or you keep it as is and don't worry if your audience doesn't get the joke
but then the whole joke loses its meaning cause most of the jokes talk about what that person does in reference to the show and do you really think dubbers would go out of their way to completely redraw something like a japanese comedian for a joke that would moree than likely fall flat?
The joke completely loses meaning when its a japanese pun to english. Like an childs joke in japanese is basically what kind of bread is impossible to eat? A frying pan. Not very easy to translate that joke to english. And gintama lives on puns based on japanese language. KLKs jokes are more visual and less based on puns.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Next week on Toonami:

8:00 - Dragonball Z Kai - 26 - The Scheme Is Shattered! Vegeta Strikes Back at Zarbon!
12:00 - Dragonball Z Kai - 27 - A Touch-and-Go Situation! Gohan, Protect the Four-Star Ball!
12:30 - KILL la KILL - 17 - Tell Me Why
1:00 - Sword Art Online II - 10 - Death Chaser
1:30 - Inuyasha: The Final Act - 25 - Thoughts Fall Short
2:00 - Naruto Shippuden - 69 - Despair
2:30 - One Piece - 303 - Boss Luffy is the Culprit? Track Down the Missing Great Cherry Tree!
3:00 - Attack on Titan - 10 - Response: The Struggle for Trost, Part 6

Later.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
zlCfzTaLpjE5fbUhVy

zlCfzTaPEG0jrg19Cq

STAY FRESH!

See ya next week, ToonamiGAF.

Its not a pun, its the equivalent of making a joke about chloe chardashian to a person who lives in russia. They have no idea who or what theyre talking about. The joke gets lost in translation and doesnt hit because who the fuck are the talking about? I dont watch japanese talk shows or stand up comedy.

Which one is the pun and which one is the reference? Also, you can't just look at a single joke and decide that a show is impossible for localization. You can make changes to the joke itself or make the joke reference a joke earlier in the episode. Or if a joke is just a random joke then it can easily be cut. I can't imagine these gags go on for more than a few seconds. Hard is not impossible. And if a localizer is truly smart they can make a Japanese thing work for them. Look at how they translated Takarada's osaka accent in KlK.

Which one is the pun and which one is the reference? Also, you can't just look at a single joke and decide that a show is impossible for localization. You can make changes to the joke itself or make the joke reference a joke earlier in the episode. Or if a joke is just a random joke then it can easily be cut. I can't imagine these gags go on for more than a few seconds. Hard is not impossible. And if a localizer is truly smart they can make a Japanese thing work for them. Look at how they translated Takarada's osaka accent in KlK.
Theyre both referneces and actually these jokes can go on for entire episodes, and an accent isnt like a japanese pun based on the language itself. I admit yes its possible to localize gintama im just saying that it would lose a lot of the stuff that makes gintama gintama.
a bad example since a lot of people know him but in one episode they make 20 different jokes where the punchline is "jackie chan has a big nose."

Theyre both referneces and actually these jokes can go on for entire episodes, and an accent isnt like a japanese pun based on the language itself. I admit yes its possible to localize gintama im just saying that it would lose a lot of the stuff that makes gintama gintama.

That's why i said to give it to a good company. Don't believe in the Aniplex that believes in you. Believe in the you that believes in Aniplex.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

Sometimes it just isn't worth the effort. There's a difference between Gintama, which is hundreds and hundreds of episodes, and Kill la kill, which is just a handful. Plus it's easier to figure out an accent than it is a reference to a diet leader's scandal or an obscure game show about pickled fish. As a whole Gintama is packed with obscure jokes and dozens of references, it takes time to figure out how to make that stuff work and that piles up fast in a show like Gintama. If it was just a couple of jokes over a season that's one thing, but with Gintama it's like every other line.

Sometimes it just isn't worth the effort. There's a difference between Gintama, which is hundreds and hundreds of episodes, and Kill la kill, which is just a handful. Plus it's easier to figure out an accent than it is a reference to a diet leader's scandal or an obscure game show about pickled fish. As a whole Gintama is packed with obscure jokes and dozens of references, it takes time to figure out how to make that stuff work and that piles up fast in a show like Gintama. If it was just a couple of jokes over a season that's one thing, but with Gintama it's like every other line.

Why do American people like this show then? What's wrong with you all?

But I think we're selling Gintama short. While a portion of its jokes does rely on Japanese word play/pop culture, a very strong amount of its jokes are still hilarious regardless of what language you speak or where you're from. Gintama wouldn't be that great if it just relied on word play/pop culture humor, or even just humor for that matter as Gintama isn't just comedy.

Edit: Also, its not just Japanese pop culture, the first two episodes references a very popular series of movies from America. No country is safe from Gintama's gags.

Moaradin

In Gintama, a single Japanese pun can be the center of an entire episode, or even an arc for that matter. It's not impossible to translate. Gintama still has a lot of self referential humor or references to popular manga/anime that would still work. It would just be a ton of work and a lot still would get lost in translation. Nobody would be willing to put in that work.

Gintama doesn't even get many fansubs because of how much knowledge of Japanese culture you need to know to properly sub that show at times.

That's why i said to give it to a good company. Don't believe in the Aniplex that believes in you. Believe in the you that believes in Aniplex.
eh I still think itd just be better not dubbed, and especially since theyd have to get around even more copyright thats just blatant rip offs of other animes.
tumblr_msz2b8UM8c1sn2bkjo6_500.gif

Hnzq7x7.jpg

10919151_511333252343104_532705464_n.jpg

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
While it's on my mind, YAY for Michiko no Hatchin! I watched it all last year, so it won't be NEW to me, but hey, I'll love to have excuses to draw Michiko ALL THE TIME.

giphy.gif

I thought the show had a good amount of chill, kinda laid back episodes, and doesn't seem like the kinda thing that purely fits an action block. But I have no problem with that, I'll love the variety. Gonna be hard to see the OP cut.

I only know Akame Ga Kill because of the ads on Crunchyroll. Sure, why not!

but then the whole joke loses its meaning cause most of the jokes talk about what that person does in reference to the show and do you really think dubbers would go out of their way to completely redraw something like a japanese comedian for a joke that would moree than likely fall flat?
The joke completely loses meaning when its a japanese pun to english. Like an childs joke in japanese is basically what kind of bread is impossible to eat? A frying pan. Not very easy to translate that joke to english. And gintama lives on puns based on japanese language. KLKs jokes are more visual and less based on puns.

For DVD and BluRay? Include Translator Notes / Pop Up Video style notes like Excel Saga did. I'd love to see a release like that again.

1. Its really well written like its in the same magainze as naruto and bleach and comes off as one of the most heartfelt and sincere animes ever to the point that almost every single serious arc can make me cry and the second movie is probably the best anime movie ive ever seen.
2. Its just really damn funny with its poop and dick humor and the anime references just get to the point of how are they not getting sued.

But I guess you guys got a point since it's super long. 273 episodes is pretty long. BUT WAIT, Bobobo-bo- Bo-bobo was 76 episodes long and they completely dubbed that and it was hilarious! Believe, guys!

Isn't it on Shonen Jump?
It is in shonen jump yes and that can explain some of them but then they make giant references to other stuff thats not jump related
AGRkx.jpg

like this.
And this isnt a one second thing this is the basis of an entire arc.
Which starts with the protagonist gintoki getting his penis replaced with a screwdriver.

Oh yeah and the amount of penises and assholes im gintama are just like ridiculous. One arc has a Will Smith shooting illness out of his butthole.

I'm not clever enough at 4 am to make a good joke, but the idea that it'd be impossible to localize is wrong. Yes the joke may have to be completely lost in translation but a clever enough writing/dubbing team could pull it off. The biggest question is would Gitama be a big enough return on investment to put that kind of effort into? Probably not

The bigger issue is all the blatant references which would be much harder to get around in the US. You could always cut the episodes or edit those reference scenes out, but that risks alienating your audience that wants a complete uncut series.

I wonder how the Assassination Classroom English dub handles all the Jump references. Then again, AC is small time compared to Gintama when it comes to references lol

So far they've left all the references the anime has in, I dunno if the original anime cut stuff from the manga though

I'm not clever enough at 4 am to make a good joke, but the idea that it'd be impossible to localize is wrong. Yes the joke may have to be completely lost in translation but a clever enough writing/dubbing team could pull it off. The biggest question is would Gitama be a big enough return on investment to put that kind of effort into? Probably not

The bigger issue is all the blatant references which would be much harder to get around in the US. You could always cut the episodes or edit those reference scenes out, but that risks alienating your audience that wants a complete uncut series.

Translating certain kinds of humor is difficult enough without the added issue of having to match up the mouth movements and the timing of the scene. Sure, it's not impossible, but saying it's just a matter of having a clever enough group of people is extremely reductive.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Gooooood morning everyone.
Pretty decent night for the good shows.

Dragon Ball Z Kai:
Vegeta bringing all the wins! Stealing the Dragon Balls and killing Zarbon. Surely nothing can go wrong now. ... Hehehehe.

Kill la Kill:
So let me see if I got this. Life Fibers come from an ancient space rock, and are actually a parasite that feeds on humans in the form of clothing, and they are responsible for clothing period. The rest is kind of a blur...
In other words, "kill more bosses".
I watched the scene that got cut. I'm kind of glad that it did. That was pretty fucked up.

Sword Art Online II:
I AM EDGE GUN I mean DEATH GUN! I AM SO EDGY! I EVEN KILLED A KAMEN RIDER!
Kawahara is a god damn hack...

Inuyasha: The Final Act:
We done messing around? We finally ready to kill Naraku? Good.

"Are you sure we should make this original character a Jinchuriki? Shouldn't we consult Kishimoto and make sure it doesn't conflict with what he's planning?" "We don't have time for that! Now make more off model pictures!"

One Piece:
Buster Call has arrived, with it come five Vice-Admirals
some of which actually play notable roles later in the story
. While this goes on, Luffy and Lucci are still fighting.
But yeah, we're in 1:1 pacing now. To be fair it's still faster than Shippuden or SAO II.

So to further add to the momocon 2015 legacy

After watching toonami with Absolution, Seda, and Levyne (which was awesome) Absolution was too tired to drive me back to my buddies (who wasn't feeling well and wanted to get some rest) so I called an uber taxi to take me back to his place since I had keys to the gate and door... Problem is my friend's door has 2 locks on in, and the top lock doesn't actually match either of the keys he has... Meaning I was locked outside and he was so passed out he didn't respond to any of my phone calls or knocking. I curled up in a ball and slept in the hallway outside his appartment with my hands wrapped around my backpack with my laptop and wiiu in it.

I dunno what'll make a better story from this trip, winning the sao card game mat or sleeping in a hallway after Toonami

Jarate

Banned

After watching toonami with Absolution, Seda, and Levyne (which was awesome) Absolution was too tired to drive me back to my buddies (who wasn't feeling well and wanted to get some rest) so I called an uber taxi to take me back to his place since I had keys to the gate and door... Problem is my friend's door has 2 locks on in, and the top lock doesn't actually match either of the keys he has... Meaning I was locked outside and he was so passed out he didn't respond to any of my phone calls or knocking. I curled up in a ball and slept in the hallway outside his appartment with my hands wrapped around my backpack with my laptop and wiiu in it.

I dunno what'll make a better story from this trip, winning the sao card game mat or sleeping in a hallway after Toonami

Sounds like the proper ending to being forced to watch SAO

curled up in a ball in the hallway

I don't know why you didn't just sleep over like I did.

Just woke up. What a fun night for sure. :)

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Ugh, weird night. Think I passed out after One Piece, but next thing I knew, it was 7 a.m. with my laptop & lights still on. Went back to sleep, might've woken up again at 9, can't remember, but slept until 11 a.m.

UUUUUUUUUGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH, another damn One Piece filler next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom