• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |May15| Wasting Saturday nights for three years running

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soulflarz

Banned
ivnm0kij39reectuzf.jpg

Fine I want to watch this

Raxus

As far as the current Naruto arc goes they can play Bluebird for 22 minutes for the remaining episodes and I wouldn't care a bit. It is up there with AoT with background noise as we post random shit in this thread and talk about how fucked up KlK was. Michiko and Hatchin can't come soon enough.

Did anyone, anywhere predict or even want Michiko and Hatchin before it was announced? Not saying that as "durr its bad who wants this" but more in a not at all expected way but makes perfect sense now that its here

Seda

In four weeks we'll have replaced Inuyasha with Michiko, One Piece and KLK will be nearing finales (or arc finales), Naruto will start a decent canon arc and DBZ will be at Ginyu Force section.

SAO will be doing SAO things.

Tenumi

Banned

Completely honest, the "censored" version is so much better. Gets the point across without the excessive imagery.

Did anyone, anywhere predict or even want Michiko and Hatchin before it was announced? Not saying that as "durr its bad who wants this" but more in a not at all expected way but makes perfect sense now that its here

I think it was one of those that was a complete fit for the block, but everyone thought was to old to be considered. That is why it was so unexpected. Gotta say, though, really looking forward to it.

ckohler

Completely honest, the "censored" version is so much better. Gets the point across without the excessive imagery.

Yup. Back when I was making a case for the show to be on the block, I remember saying it would probably be improved with those parts removed. Looks like I was right.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I THINK one member (Metatron?) was saying it would've fit with the older Adult Swim animes.

But yeah, kind of nice to have an "out-of-nowhere" surprise that not only seems like a good fit, but will be a good show as well that's new to most of us. Helps to have a mixture of stuff people have seen but would watch again dubbed & shows most people probably haven't seen but is getting more exposure.

Crocodile

I've never seen the show but I've known about it for years and always assumed it would have been perfect for Adult Swim. However, given how many years passed, I assumed it was too old at this point and took it off my mental "possibilites" list.

Gorillaz

wait were getting michiko and hatchin?

that's kind of surprising....It has some BL vibes (Revy like female) but if they wanted something like that there are a few different choices they could have went with instead like jormungand. Unless it's price and rights thing.

MnH is pretty stylish but feels like a out of nowhere pick tho. Demarco is King Swerve

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Yup. Back when I was making a case for the show to be on the block, I remember saying it would probably be improved with those parts removed. Looks like I was right.

Eh...here's the thing. With all of Ragyo's rambling gone, it makes that entire scene literally disposable and superfluous. Before the imagery was extremely gratuitous, obviously, but at least the scene had a purpose, it was there to do something. It had Ragyo dishing out more information on what her real plan actually is (even if it is coded a bit) and made her more threatening, menacing, and deranged.

I would argue that in a strange sense the edit makes it even more gratuitous since Satsuki being generally molested is now the ONLY thing that happens in that scene.

I mean, if you really wanted to cut it in a way that improved it through subtraction, just have Rei tell Satsuki that her mom wants to meet her in the hall outside the forbidden room and skip the bath entirely. You would have gotten exactly the same information but skipped over the molesty bits. If you didn't know what was supposed to be there, then, you would never have known the difference.

Seda

So FUNimation just licensed a whole shit load of shows (because who's going to stop them?) and SEVERAL of them seem like plausible future Toonami shows.

Of particular note for Toonami are EUREKA SEVEN AO, Blood-C, and, perhaps most importantly, Michiko e Hatchin.

The first two of those had predecessor series on Adult Swim, and the last has tons of Cowboy Bebop and Samurai Champloo pedigree, being a Manglobe series with Shinichiro Watanabe as music producer.

FUNi's newly licensed Michiko e Hatchin would fit in here perfectly.

Michiko e Hatchin would be my pick. It's supposed to finally be getting its US release this year.

You guys want a return of bleeps to Toonami, pull for Michiko & Hatchin. Plenty of cussin' in the 3 episodes I've watched so far.

I've been pulling for Michiko to get on TV for YEARS. I don't have the slightest clue why it 1) took so damn long to license and 2) hasn't been on TV here yet.

This reminds me mostly of Michiko e Hatchin right now (which should totally be on this block, btw).

This episode always makes me think of Michiko e Hatchin.

Which is another show that always seemed like a no-brainer for Adult Swim.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
I THINK one member (Metatron?) was saying it would've fit with the older Adult Swim animes.

But yeah, kind of nice to have an "out-of-nowhere" surprise that not only seems like a good fit, but will be a good show as well that's new to most of us. Helps to have a mixture of stuff people have seen but would watch again dubbed & shows most people probably haven't seen but is getting more exposure.

Here's a post of mine I found from the Adult Swim board. Check the date.

‎03-27-2008 03:51 PM

Lots of news that's tangentially related to the block today it would seem.

1) Seirei no Moribito has been license rescued from Geneon by Media Blasters. Normally being a Media Blasters license would lessen its chances of being on Adult Swim (the only thing off the top of my head that they own that Adult Swim has ever gotten was Voltron), but apparently they did continue dubbing at Bang Zoom with the same cast and crew Geneon was using for it, so it should get a pretty decent dub. And, hey, it's the Stand Alone Complex team's work, so maybe it still has a shot. So we can put Moribito back on the [as] radar.

2) BONES' next major series is apparently Bounen no Xamdou, which is also a collaboration with Sony Music, much like FMA and Eureka seveN before it. In fact, the Xamdou page specifically mentions both shows, and while the image is....curious, to say the least, it certainly looks an awful lot like the Eureka team's work. Bounen no Xamdou teaser site [link is broken]...don't look at me, I don't know what's going on in that pic either...

3) If you were wondering what Shinichiro Watanabe and the Champloo team were up to, you can find a new trailer for Michiko & Hatchin here.

Will we be seeing any of these on Adult Swim in the future? Mayhap. For now, though, you'll have to make do with...

THURSDAY

Inuyasha - 129 - Chokyukai and the Abducted Bride

Inuyasha - 130 - Shippo's New Technique, The Heart Scar!

Shame about Xam'd.

ckohler

Eh...here's the thing. With all of Ragyo's rambling gone, it makes that entire scene literally disposable and superfluous. Before the imagery was extremely gratuitous, obviously, but at least the scene had a purpose, it was there to do something. It had Ragyo dishing out more information on what her real plan actually is (even if it is coded a bit) and made her more threatening, menacing, and deranged.

I can't disagree. What I mean by the scene being "better" now is that it's more "palatable". As you probably know, even big fans of the show were really put off by the flagrant incest in that scene the first time it aired. While editing it down does take away a bit of exposition and character building, it probably offends fewer people and is more tasteful.

So yes, without seeing the incest, Ragyo's character might seem slightly less evil. Still, I think it's pretty clear how evil she is. I've never considered the incest necessary to convey that.

I mean, if you really wanted to cut it in a way that improved it through subtraction, just have Rei tell Satsuki that her mom wants to meet her in the hall outside the forbidden room and skip the bath entirely. You would have gotten exactly the same information but skipped over the molesty bits. If you didn't know what was supposed to be there, then, you would never have known the difference.

True but then we would have lost several looks at her mom (revealing her scars) and another chance to hear Blumenkranz.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
but then the whole joke loses its meaning cause most of the jokes talk about what that person does in reference to the show and do you really think dubbers would go out of their way to completely redraw something like a japanese comedian for a joke that would moree than likely fall flat?
The joke completely loses meaning when its a japanese pun to english. Like an childs joke in japanese is basically what kind of bread is impossible to eat? A frying pan. Not very easy to translate that joke to english. And gintama lives on puns based on japanese language. KLKs jokes are more visual and less based on puns.

oh I know that one! "Pan" is bread!

What do I win?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom