• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Oct/Nov/Dec16| A Bacchanalia of Blood

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moaradin

Next episode is probably one of my favorite episodes of Naruto, it legit makes me cry, i might be a bit more effected by it after hearing it in english which is what i watched the anime first in.

the only problem i have with yhe next episode is that it wouldve been a perfect time to maybe develop naruto and hinatas relationship a bit more.

Are you sure that happens next episode?

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Did they seriously killed him off like a red shirt just to make room for flashbacks?
Jiraiya's death has a huge impact on Naruto's character and even the rest of the story from here on out, especially this arc, in fact they don't even spam Jiraiya flashbacks nearly at all compared to other flashbacks they use

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
In general, I feel like failure and mistakes are really interesting things. Most stories seem to ignore them completely, or fail to notice them in their own character writing.

Heck, one of the reasons I like FMA so much is that the main premise is basically "Hey, we fucked up, and now we're going to make amends as best we can"

This might be a little judgemental, but I also feel like a lot of audiences don't really 'get' mistakes in fiction. Like, a character has a lapse of judgement, or doesn't make the ideal decision, and suddenly the character is apparently garbage or trash because they aren't perfect.

You're definitely right, which is why characters like Jiraiya, who are essentially defined by their mistakes, are so great. It really shows that the best characters aren't the perfect ones, but the flawed ones who keep trying anyway.

I'm taking a cryptography class and I now have much less tolerance for idiocy of this.

God damn it Kishi (even though he's hardly the only writer to do it by a long shot)

Well, it's not a very complicated code. It's just something no one thinks of right away.
Besides, the arc itself is really fantastic.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Based on the schedule for this month it seems there is no thanksgiving marathon which opens up a possibility of a JoJo marathon in December.
That's....weird. They did one last year, I can't imagine they'd suddenly decide to do one this year.

My guess is they just haven't figured out what to marathon yet.

In general, I feel like failure and mistakes are really interesting things. Most stories seem to ignore them completely, or fail to notice them in their own character writing.

Heck, one of the reasons I like FMA so much is that the main premise is basically "Hey, we fucked up, and now we're going to make amends as best we can"

This might be a little judgemental, but I also feel like a lot of audiences don't really 'get' mistakes in fiction. Like, a character has a lapse of judgement, or doesn't make the ideal decision, and suddenly the character is apparently garbage or trash because they aren't perfect.

People want cool characters, not ones that are necessarily well realized?

Yeah, I agree with that.

Seda

You're definitely right, which is why characters like Jiraiya, who are essentially defined by their mistakes, are so great. It really shows that the best characters aren't the perfect ones, but the flawed ones who keep trying anyway.

I gotta be honest: "I failed to protect my mentor, and my student" is a great line, I think.

It's a shame that vocal audiences are adverse to actual character flaws that make them feel more real.
God forbid if a main character makes a mistake. Even if they try to fix it, the fanbase makes sure to lord it over them at all times.

Tizoc

It's official, I'm hooked on Jojo's. I almost want to go buy the manga now.
Get the jojonium collections as they collect many chapters in 1 book

fireindexed.gif

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
It's a shame that vocal audiences are adverse to actual character flaws that make them feel more real.
God forbid if a main character makes a mistake. Even if they try to fix it, the fanbase makes sure to lord it over them at all times.

This is a problem I see with a lot of so called "fans"
Like when they complain about the villains being villains. "How dare they do bad things!" Because they're the villain?

cntr

Banned

I remember when people used to complain that the main character of My Hero Academia teared up too much.

That shit made me salty.

Crocodile

To be fair, there is a difference between making a realistic, human mistake and holding an idiot ball. I feel a lot of anime/manga are written poorly enough that you get more idiot balls than legit human mistakes. I never really felt that was the way with Jiraya or FMA overall though.

Raxus

Some One Piece manga talk:

These last chapters were fan-frikkin-tastic. I hope it follows through.

#YearofSanji

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom